PDA

View Full Version : Moving/Adding 12V Cigarette Lighter Outlet

B-Rad
03-04-2008, 11:39 AM
Hey everyone, quick question!

A while back I bought a Zune and I love it, and for Christmas my mom got me an FM Transmitter / Car Pack for it. It works just fine, but the placement of the 12V outlet and the design of the Car Charger makes for frequent disconnects in the middle of driving (I'll often accidently knock it slightly out with my knee, or when retuning the FM Transmitter.

My question is, has anyone tried relocated the cigarette lighter outlet to somewhere else in the car, like the small arm rest cubby-hole? Or even wired another outlet to somewhere else inside? The center console (or dash, or whatever it's called) seems hollow for the most part, so running a little wiring through there wouldn't seem too hard, but I'm curious if anyone else has thought of this.

Hocrest
03-04-2008, 11:54 AM
I put a trans temp gauge in my lighter hole, and added a lighter socket into the ashtray.

It won't be hard at all to add a socket anywhere in the center console. You can either get a "hard mount" and drill a hole to mount it or get one on a chord and just leave it hanging out the side.

B-Rad
03-04-2008, 04:14 PM
Cool, thanks. I think what I'll do is move the socket into the console, and replace the ashtray with a slot to put the Zune. It should fit perfectly ;)

redlightningsvx
03-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I also have a Zune and was wondering where to add a 12v sorce then at work I was installing a center console for a 2002 eclipse and seen they have one at the bottom underneath the armrest facing the rear seats. That is where i'm going to put mine at.

SVXdc
03-04-2008, 04:50 PM
There's also a huge amount of empty space below the rear ashtray.