PDA

View Full Version : Lonely turbocharger looking for comfortable Engine Compartment

B-Rad
02-24-2008, 08:03 PM
Hello everyone!
During my two year stay in Japan, a friend of mine that worked at an auto-hobby shop gave me a turbocharger from a Nissan Skyline (sorry, sorry, I was too busy to scout out for some SVX parts :( ). I don't know what year the Skyline was, how big the turbo is, or really anything about the darn thing. Heck, it might not even be out of a Skyline. Either way though, I have this turbocharger and I'm wondering what to do with it.

Should I eBay it?

Should I even try getting it into the SVX?

My 1996 LSi is still completely stock with 56,000 miles on it, I've had it for over 6 years now, and I'm getting a frustrating "mod-itch" to start adding some things to my baby.

I'm not saying I want to just shove the thing under the hood and see what happens, that obviously won't work. I was hoping someone with some great knowledge of turbo projects could point me in the right direction as to what I can do with this turbo.

If it won't work for the SVX, anyone know what I COULD do with it? (aside from using it as a ridiculous paper-weight :p )

Pictures attached, and please let me know if you need some more information.

sicksubie
02-24-2008, 08:35 PM
Do you know any other specs on the turbo? I think the skylines were inline 2.6liter 6 cylinder motors. That turbo is probably a little undersized for anything extreme on a EG33, but should make some pretty respectable numbers. You will NEED a stand alone because you are OBDII and nothing from ecutune will work with your motor. If you can do the piping for the intercooler yourself than you will save big $$ there. Look in the how to section for what phil did with his turbo set up.

drivemusicnow
02-24-2008, 10:37 PM
I would sell it. It's probably not worth much either.

Just a total guestimation, It looks about the size of a garret gt20 or so. TINY.

Skylines are twin turbocharged which means that it would work great on a 3 cylinder 1.2 liter motor pretty well. Far to small for anything you could do with it on an SVX, especially as you only have one of them.

Heck, maybe some skyline fanbois will give you some decent money for it, but that's somewhat unlikely as well.

sicksubie
02-24-2008, 10:44 PM
ahhhhh.... Did not know that they were tt...

Nevin
02-25-2008, 08:47 PM
If you only have one turbo, then it won't be much good. The eg33 is already .7 litres ahead of the RB26 anyway, so having more displacement and half as many turbos would get you nowhere pretty quick. Sorry to be Johnny Raincloud, but I'd say your best bet with that turbo is as a paperweight!

Besides, it's hardly worth the hassle putting a used turbo into something that is giving you the mod itch. You may as well pay the price now for having the right sized turbo with a warranty! Start doing some research on what size turbo you can use, what to look for, etc. and then start pricing turbos if you're serious about it. No point in doing things twice that can be done right the first time.

Also, pick up the book "Maximum Boost" by Corky Bell. It's a very good tool to help you figure out the basics of what all goes into turbocharging a vehicle. Good luck!

Myetball
02-26-2008, 10:29 PM
It's likely a T28, basically a T25 with different exhaust wheel. Good for about 1 bar (14psi). Not a bad turbo for something 2.0 or less not looking to go over 1 bar.

Even though it is a stock turbo, you can probably get a pretty penny for it on Ebay. Sell it for what it is, stock Skyline turbo. Plenty of ricers out there that will jump on just because it's off a Skyline.

Phast SVX
02-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Agreed with both guys above.

Bell's book is great, as well as an older but still informative staple everyone wanting to read called "Turbochargers". Additionally, "How to tune standalone EMS" wil really give you a better understanding of how the electronics work, and are effected, by turbocharging a system.

Nevin
02-27-2008, 11:46 AM
... Additionally, "How to tune standalone EMS" wil really give you a better understanding of how the electronics work, and are effected, by turbocharging a system.

I agree that this is a VERY helpful book. I've read it from cover to cover, and each time I read it I still find something new.

Boxersix
02-27-2008, 01:13 PM
I would sell it. It's probably not worth much either.

Just a total guestimation, It looks about the size of a garret gt20 or so. TINY.

Skylines are twin turbocharged which means that it would work great on a 3 cylinder 1.2 liter motor pretty well. Far to small for anything you could do with it on an SVX, especially as you only have one of them.

Heck, maybe some skyline fanbois will give you some decent money for it, but that's somewhat unlikely as well.

Not all Skylines were twin turbo. GTS models came rwd with an RB25DET in most cases(single turbo), not the RB26DETT (biturbo)from the awd GTR models. Common motor swap for the 240Z guys here stateside...

Definitely a skyline spool, looks to be a RB25 single setup from the outlet duct, but don't quote me on that as it's been some time since I've built either of the RB series motors here. Either way it's good for about 300 crank hp. About the same size as a T28(same compressor wheel, larger turbine). Would be too small for an EG33 setup, but can be hacked on Ebay for some cash no doubt

GTR's came with turbo's sized very similar to the GT2554r's found on the JDM Silvia's, RB25DET's had a slightly larger GT2860 size spool..... run me the part number off that center section and i can telly uo exactly what it is.....

Tim
02-27-2008, 01:24 PM
I believe Jesse (Subafreak)'s girlfriend has a 240 with an RB25 swap. It was pretty sick.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37308&highlight=rb25

STeeL25T
03-12-2008, 10:14 PM
I used to have an RB25 240sx I swaped with some friends from a R33 GTS-T, hence my screen name (2.5 turbo).

I'm no expert on turbos but that one looks just like the one on mine. If it is from a GTS-T they come in two kinds, Series I and II. One of them uses a ceramic wheel, I want to say the first one.

My boost controller never worked correctly so my turbo burnt out after about a year of 15 psi...

Schralper
03-13-2008, 09:48 AM
http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/

The source for turbo info.

http://www.turbofast.com.au/turbomap.html

Use the compressor map to find the right size turbo.

Phast SVX
03-13-2008, 07:16 PM
http://www.turbomustangs.com/smf/

The source for turbo info.

http://www.turbofast.com.au/turbomap.html

Use the compressor map to find the right size turbo.

Or you could just use the search button... GT3582R, or if you don't want to blow 1500 bux on a fan go with a TO4B-H or S .70 with an .82 a/r housing. Full T4 exhaust would be best, but a stage 5 T3 will work just fine.
stepping up to a 60-1 would work rather well on medium boost levels as well.

mikecg
03-14-2008, 09:10 AM
ahhhhh.... Did not know that they were tt...

2.6L GT-Rs were TT but the 2.5 GT used a single turbo.