PDA

View Full Version : Sound Dampening for Subwoofer.

robyo23
02-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Hey all,

I just finished installing my car audio system this past weekend. The speakers sound awsome and give the interior great sense of depth and imaging.

However the Subwoofer creates a LOT of vibrations in the rear of the car. By this is mean the back shelving/speaker holding thing rattles alot, along with other aspects of my trunk.

I know this isn't anything crazy as most cars will to some extent. But I was wondering if anyone who has a Sub has installed some kind of Sound Dampening material - Dynamat, B-Quiet or whatever you prefer, into your SVX.

If so did this help at all? And how big of a pain was it to put the upper and side carpeting back in?

Thank you!
Cheers

YourConfused
02-10-2008, 09:21 PM
I'm not sure if this will help or not, but here goes.

I used a combination of 3M adhesive backed neoprene foam, spray on dampening stuff and Deadbeat (dynomat stuff) on my car. I used layers of fiberglass in the trunk to reinforce the floor as well.
The doors, back deck and insides of the sub enclosure got the foam, while the inside of the sub enclosure got the deadbeat under the foam. I think I put deadbeat on the rest of the trunk floor too. With the trunk lid being fiberglass I didn't wory about it resonating and just left it alone. The insides of the doors got the spray on stuff.

After all this I don't hear any rattles due to the volume of the music. There was no before and after for me. I have noticed that putting dynamat or whatever on the back of the license plate almost always eliminates allot of the rattle noise from the trunk area. If your system is rather powerful I would also recommend using lock-tite on bolts for the hinges and latches as I have had them rattle loose.
Hope this helped in some way.

p.s. I am not sure what you are referring to as the upper and side carpeting.

Wikedjuggalo
02-10-2008, 09:32 PM
Hey all,

I just finished installing my car audio system this past weekend. The speakers sound awsome and give the interior great sense of depth and imaging.

However the Subwoofer creates a LOT of vibrations in the rear of the car. By this is mean the back shelving/speaker holding thing rattles alot, along with other aspects of my trunk.

I know this isn't anything crazy as most cars will to some extent. But I was wondering if anyone who has a Sub has installed some kind of Sound Dampening material - Dynamat, B-Quiet or whatever you prefer, into your SVX.

If so did this help at all? And how big of a pain was it to put the upper and side carpeting back in?

Thank you!
Cheers
Well, I don't know I have recently put a sub in and noticed this too but I want to find out how to get it to stop. If you are talking about the carpet in the trunk on the top not the floor I am not sure how that pulls up or even if it does.

robyo23
02-10-2008, 10:13 PM
p.s. I am not sure what you are referring to as the upper and side carpeting..

. If you are talking about the carpet in the trunk on the top not the floor I am not sure how that pulls up or even if it does.

Yes the top carpet/plastic top shelf trim in the trunk to have acces to the above and side panels. That way I can apply dynomat or foam which ever I decide.

The lid itself and license plate are not the problem. I don't care how it sounds outside, I want inside to be crisp and rattle free.

Hope that clears it up

YourConfused
02-10-2008, 10:27 PM
And how big of a pain was it to put the upper and side carpeting back in?

Thank you!
Cheers

Since a portion of my trunk floor was raised .75" I had a bit of trouble getting the side pannels back in. I also had to replace the plastic clips that hold the upper portion in place. They were just a drive away at Home Depot. Something like 39 cents each.