PDA

View Full Version : Creaking noise in steering column

SVX JAZZ
05-17-2001, 09:58 AM
I have noticed lately that I am hearing and feeling a creaking noise coming from the steering column when I turn the wheel left. It is not the pump. Fluid is full and I know what a groaning pump sounds like. Are there any areas that I should check for looseness? I have been having a clunking noise in the steering wheel for a while. It does this when I "jiggle" the steering back and forth. Could this be related? Any big disaster awaiting for me?

Thanks

SVX JAZZ
05-30-2001, 06:31 AM
Hi all,

I found my problem. I got up under the dash last night and found the loop that keeps the steering column in place. It has some plastic bushings that insulate the metal loop from the column housing. The movement in the steering column was creating a groaning noise when it would pivot inside the plastic bushings. I tightened down the loop and it cured the noise. The noise had gotten quiet loud. I was worried that the steering column was wearing out or something.
I did notice something unnerving. There is slight movement in the steering column as it goes through the firewall. I guess this is normal. It does this on my 65 Mustang but that is expected from a 36 year old car.
Oh well… If anyone is experiencing noise in there steering column, I hope this helps.