PDA

View Full Version : Can I use my old trans cooler as an oil cooler now?

sicksubie
01-17-2008, 10:33 AM
I am wondering if I can do this since I am now 6MT and no longer need my trans cooler...:cool:

SVXRide
01-17-2008, 10:36 AM
Bobby,
You should be able to use it.
-Bill

svxistentialist
01-17-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't see why not. It is sitting there in the corner of the rad, idle. Make sure it is flushed out and free before you connect up, but it ought to work without a problem.

Joe:)

sicksubie
01-17-2008, 01:02 PM
oh not that one..... I am going to use that as a power steering cooler and get rid of the stock PS cooler. The trans cooler that I am going to use is the one I installed in the front fenderwell..

svxistentialist
01-17-2008, 02:11 PM
oh not that one..... I am going to use that as a power steering cooler and get rid of the stock PS cooler. The trans cooler that I am going to use is the one I installed in the front fenderwell..

Then in that case it may depend on the cooling capacity of the unit you mean. This is usually stated in lbs GVW for Gross Vehicle Weight.

Mine is 19,000 lbs capacity or should I say capability. Engine oil coolers are usually small dinky things.

Is there any chance the trans cooler, which is geared to dump tremendous heat from the transmission, might be too good at cooling your oil because of its size?

It would probably be OK. Do you have an oil temperature meter to let you know if it's making things too cool?

Joe

Sov13t
01-17-2008, 03:17 PM
Power steering cooler? :) what's that?

You live in Florida? ;)

sicksubie
01-17-2008, 07:12 PM

You live in Florida? ;)

LOL...... Tracks heat up though in the summer and my car will be seeing a lot of auto-x's this summer

A LOT!!!!!!!!

ridered777
01-17-2008, 11:57 PM

You live in Florida? ;)

Haha, says the guy in Virginia, where the population, at least, is just about as "southern" as florida... (My ex lives in VA, I've been there several times, so I know all about you guys... :p )

Hocrest
01-18-2008, 12:02 AM
Can't you use the cooler with your 6 spd??

sicksubie
01-19-2008, 05:13 AM
It wouldnt work I dont think becaue the fluid in the MT is just in there. It is not being pumped around like in an AT. Am I wrong? If there is a way to cool the MT, then great. Is it really worth the effort though?

Hocrest
01-19-2008, 09:16 AM
I could be completely wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that the 6mt had provisions for an external cooler???

But I've never seen one, you have so you would know better.