PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Babble

cdigerlando
05-01-2001, 10:18 PM
Do yourself a favor and have Level 10 rebuild your transmission. Would you really consider giving it to Subaru, after their lame record? Pay a little extra. Do it right. They also sell a good tranny cooler. It's easy to install. I did it on mine and runs great 130,000 free of tranny problems. I also run Amsoil synthetic ATF and have the entire cooling system back flushed every 50,000 miles.

cdigerlando
05-15-2001, 06:00 PM
As to your choice to use level 10.....I always knew you were a smart man.

As for the bumper.....I like wide open like the WRX. Gives it that mean look:mad: :mad: :mad:

Good luck. You know I'm in.

cdigerlando
05-15-2001, 09:31 PM
That sucks!!! You did everything that you could and it still went. That is really wierd. I doubt the damage was done after 36K. This is why I recommend Level 10. We have some goomba subaru techs that are trying to talk people out of level 10, saying that the tranny isn't a bad design, it just has problems with heat. In engineering school I took a course called Thermodynamics. Engineering has everything to do with heat.

When you get the tranny back ask if you should do the resistor mod. This reduces the slipping from 1st to 2nd. Slipping causes heat and takes away from your power. Ask level 10 about this. Let me know how it turns out.

museumquality
05-15-2001, 11:44 PM
exactly, i don't know why certain owners of this car are so against this. that resistor is the big cause in failures with this trans. the first thing to go are the clutches, clutches produce major heat within the system, its all about friction. it's pretty elementary.
they need to understand that the hard shifts they feel when shifting with this modification are so much better for the long term. as far as thinking of gear probs. well they could happen, but , much further down the road than clutch issues.

throw that resistor in the trash, it is evil. you want the car to shift like a caddy, then buy a caddy.
they designed what they call a luxo coupe sport, well this was one error they made with the big horse power ,, it chews through their design, and proves big failure. even your stronger level 10 rebuilds are subject to the same prob. build it stronger to handle the prob, no, build it stronger then reconfigure the system with the by pass, you now have a 100,000 mile trans, verses 50,000.

listen to your trans the next time you slam it down, it spins and spins and spins - it gets hot fast.

Aredubjay
05-16-2001, 12:09 AM
One point at a time here.

<<i don't know why certain owners of this car are so against this.>>

First of all, I, personally am not "against" the resistor mod. I simply don't prefer it. I've tried it, I don't like it, that settles it. It's a personal preference. I especially didn't like it in stop and go driving. Too abrupt, too often.

<<you want the car to shift like a caddy, then buy a caddy.>>

No, I want an SVX. I bought an SVX that shifts like an SVX. It's the way it was designed to shift. We could, of course turn this table 'round. If you want a car that shifts like a racer, buy a racer. The SVX is not a race car. It was not developed or built to be modified. It is a singular automobile on which designers and engineers were given carte blanche to create the ultimate, "dead center" sport/luxury car, and I'll be damned if they didn't succeed, while adding AWD as a bonus, IMHO. So, there were a few bugs. Always is, always will be, especially when you're building "unique."

Now, before anybody gets the wrong idea, I'm not saying I'm against modifying your car. Your car, your money, your preferences -- it's all a matter of personal preference and we're going to differ. I'm not opposed to Level 10. My next tranny, which I stated, I pray is a long time off, will probably be one. But, I'll still plug my resistor in for the smooth shifts. It's the way I like it.

Variety is the spice of life, as they say. If we all thought alike, there'd be no need for boards like this. You do your thing, and I won't fault you for it. I'll do mine and we all end up happy.

Aredubjay
05-16-2001, 12:20 AM
<<When you get the tranny back ask if you should do the resistor mod. This reduces the slipping from 1st to 2nd. Slipping causes heat and takes away from your power. Ask level 10 about this. Let me know how it turns out.>>

I think the last few people who had their tranny done at level 10 had the resistor unplugged when they got the car back. So, either they recommend the mod, or, they're getting sloppy. :)

Interesting comment on 1-2 shift. The 1-2 on my recently rebuilt tranny is the only shift that feels like the mod is in effect (though it isn't). According to the TSB, the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts can be adjusted with the brake band. My 1-2 is abrupt with no apparent slippage. Mine still holds the 2-3 a little longer than I'd like under modrate load, but under heavy and light load, it's a nice, smooth transition, while the 3-4 is almost indiscernable.

Again, I'm not trying to be argumentative. I'm just one of those wierdos that thinks -- "well, there musta been a reason they did it that way." I can't help being a stock freak. :)

eddycat2000
05-16-2001, 06:59 AM
Originally posted by cdigerlando
We have some goomba subaru techs that are trying to talk people out of level 10, saying that the tranny isn't a bad design, it just has problems with heat. In engineering school I took a course called Thermodynamics. Engineering has everything to do with heat.

No you don't, you have *a* goomba subaru tech stating that he/I have never seen any documentation proving a level ten tranny will last longer than a subaru reman.

We do however have a person with a masters in engineering that figures a clogging radiator issue (causing the planetaries to melt &/or explode), is a bad transmission design. I don't have a masters degree in engineering, but I do know that the radiator isn't part of the transmission.

In the future I'd appreciate not being called names on this board.

vkykam
05-16-2001, 08:12 AM
Well, I've had to change the resistor, mine went bad.

Without it, it felt like every shift it'll break one of the shafts or gears in there. :)

With it, if felt like the clutches are going to burn up real soon. :)

You be the judge. I just don't know whether the rest of the tranny was designed to take that kind of force over a long period of time.

But the thing that REALLY irked me with the resistor mod was if you ever have the shifter in 3rd gear, and your car in 3rd gear, and coast with the car, the rev behaves STRANGELY.

My 2 cents.

VK

svxxx26
05-16-2001, 08:28 AM
That sucks!!! You did everything that you could and it still went. That is really wierd. I doubt the damage was done after 36K. This is why I recommend Level 10. We have some goomba subaru techs that are trying to talk people out of level 10, saying that the tranny isn't a bad design, it just has problems with heat. In engineering school I took a course called Thermodynamics. Engineering has everything to do with heat.

When you get the tranny back ask if you should do the resistor mod. This reduces the slipping from 1st to 2nd. Slipping causes heat and takes away from your power. Ask level 10 about this. Let me know how it turns out.

I've finally figured it out! Cdigerlando is actually Blonde_Man!:eek:
Wondered where he was . . . ;)

Hey Chuck: We all know by now that you have an engineering degree - that's great - and we also know you recommend Level 10. Just keep in mind that until you supply us some valid documentation, your thoughts on Level 10 & the Resistor Mod will just be ANOTHER OPINION.

svxxx26 (apprentice Goomba)

eddycat2000
05-16-2001, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by svxxx26

Hey Chuck: We all know by now that you have an engineering degree - that's great - and we also know you recommend Level 10. Just keep in mind that until you supply us some valid documentation, your thoughts on Level 10 & the Resistor Mod will just be ANOTHER OPINION.

svxxx26 (apprentice Goomba)

Isn't it funny that in lieu of documentation, I either become a goomba, a dumba$$ or some such thing for asking for said documentation? I find it incredible that the fact that someone else can't provide supporting evidence means that *I* turn into the bad guy. It's human nature to get defensive, but I don't think that name calling has to happen. Frankly I had hoped that kind of thing wouldn't happen over here, I would have been thrilled to see it stay on the yahoo site.

I don't know this for sure, so I can't provide the documentation. But I would assume that the people (engineers) that designed the transmissions have at least the equivilent of a masters degree in engineering.

Aredubjay
05-16-2001, 09:01 AM
<<It's human nature to get defensive, but I don't think that name calling has to happen.>>

I agree, and I'll be keeping my eye out for future infractions. I would prefer restraint, but will opt for intervention. Attacks on opinions will be accepted, but, let's keep the personal attacks and name calling out of the mix . . . please.

museumquality
05-16-2001, 10:20 AM
you are right if i want a real sports car than why not buy a real sports. i will, i'm always juggling cars, like you say, variety is the spice of life, i love that line.
i do love this car though, its alot of fun.

A manual trans would have just been so perfect for the car!

Aredubjay
05-16-2001, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by museumquality
A manual trans would have just been so perfect for the car!

Okay, now you've gone and done it. I'm going to have to agree with you. :D Yes, given the option, that would have been my "preference." :D

cdigerlando
05-16-2001, 07:49 PM
Sorry for the name calling. I just get frustrated when someone sits there and tells me that heat failures are not engineering problems. They are and I am not arguing about it anymore. As for clogged radiators being the problem, I seriously doubt it. As for people driving improperly, I doubt that too. Let me give any of you subaru techs some people skills advice. Don't sit there and tell someone they don't know how to drive or take care of a car properly when they are getting ready to spend $3000 on their fourth tranny rebuild. I have not been there, but I bet it is more annoying as being called a goomba.

Unfortunately I have no data to support the longevity of the Level 10. I have a 130,000 mile SVX original tranny and have not even driven a level 10 tranny. I have looked into it some time ago. I know that the clutch plates they use are some of the more cutting edge materials used for race trannys. I also know that the valve body pumps three times the fluid. I trust their reputation better than Subaru's. Although they have little history with the SVX, they have a lot with the other transmissions they rebuild. That is why many race shops go to them. Subarus track record sucks. To be more positive. AWD is difficult to do as reliably as 2WD. Most HP AWD vehicles have problems. Subaru is usually better in comparison to the competition.

This discussion is getting old and we are not covering any new ground other than expressing our differences in opinion. Lets just make peace and leave it at that. :)

cdigerlando
05-16-2001, 07:57 PM
I have thought of doing a Tremic 6 speed in my SVX someday when my wonderful 130,000 mile transmission goes. This would not be as expensive as a WRX dog box, and would transfer power more efficiently to the wheels. I hate to lose the AWD though. If I do it, I will share the custom mount plate template with anyone who is interested. I'm sure there will be more stuff to customize as well (shift linkage, driveshaft, mounts, release bearings.)

svxxx26
05-16-2001, 09:44 PM
<<This discussion is getting old and we are not covering any new ground other than expressing our differences in opinion. Lets just make peace and leave it at that.>>

Amen to that - movin' on! :cool:

eddycat2000
05-17-2001, 03:32 AM
Sorry for the name calling. I just get frustrated when someone sits there and tells me that heat failures are not engineering problems. They are and I am not arguing about it anymore. As for clogged radiators being the problem, I seriously doubt it. As for people driving improperly, I doubt that too. Let me give any of you subaru techs some people skills advice. Don't sit there and tell someone they don't know how to drive or take care of a car properly when they are getting ready to spend $3000 on their fourth tranny rebuild. I have not been there, but I bet it is more annoying as being called a goomba.

Unfortunately I have no data to support the longevity of the Level 10. I have a 130,000 mile SVX original tranny and have not even driven a level 10 tranny. I have looked into it some time ago. I know that the clutch plates they use are some of the more cutting edge materials used for race trannys. I also know that the valve body pumps three times the fluid. I trust their reputation better than Subaru's. Although they have little history with the SVX, they have a lot with the other transmissions they rebuild. That is why many race shops go to them. Subarus track record sucks. To be more positive. AWD is difficult to do as reliably as 2WD. Most HP AWD vehicles have problems. Subaru is usually better in comparison to the competition.

This discussion is getting old and we are not covering any new ground other than expressing our differences in opinion. Lets just make peace and leave it at that. :)

I'll try and make this my last post on this thread. (Note: I said *try*)

Of course heat failures are engineering problems, where did you get the idea anyone thought they weren't?

As for the radiator clogging issue, doubt it if you want, I'm sure you don't know the other fella's qualifications, (trust me, you'd be amazed at what his function at SOA is) but mine are well documented. And I *have* been privy to all the TSB's about the radiator issue. I noticed on another thread that one of your mods was to add the subaru inline ATF filter, why the heck do you think they added that? To catch the debris before it got to the radiator.

Trust me Chuck, the last person I'd take people skills advice from would be you, no offense, but from your posts I see very little in the form of good people skills. Name calling doesn't rate high with me in the people skills arena.

These people that have had three or four rebuilds done, now there's something we could discuss. How many of these rebuilds were subaru remans? Darned few from what I can see. Aredub was basically forced to use an independent. The fella up here went for cheap, so he went independent. Everyone seems to be asking where to get a *cheap* rebuild, that leads me to the conclusion that they have found the subaru reman too expensive, and then they have problems.

You've *never* even driven a car with a level 10 rebuild in it, but yet you hype the guys like they were tranny gods? I can't even imagine doing that.

And just a note in closing, the valve body pumps no fluid, that would be the job of the oil pump.

Now I'm willing to drop the subject if you are, but if not, I have plenty of time to argue;)

1994SubaruSVX
05-17-2001, 11:43 AM
ok i like both of you chuck and eddy but neither one of you are really arguing about the transmission here. chuck like most of us is pissed because subaru has dropped the ball on the transmission issue and many other issues regarding the svx. bitterness is something we all have in common when trying to deal with the dealer as far as repairs go. eddy we all know you used to be or are still a suby tech so of course you are going to stick up for them. i am not faulting either one of you for your stance or opinion. i am also not agreeing with either one of you because i think generally speaking these transmission failures have many factors and should probably be looked at on a case by case or car by car basis. but everyone must admit that beefier gears as supplied by level 10 in their rebuild is a good thing. my transmission failed about six months ago because of planetary gear failure. i had a reman. subaru trans installed. they sheared one of my flybolts, left it in there and it took my another three months to convince them something they did was wrong. if i knew about level 10 at the time i would have went with them too just to avoid the dreaded incompetence of the dealership. as far as the goomba comment goes, well are you one? if you are not and you dont appear to be. then why are you getting so defensive. just defend yourself and move on. this is a site where people express themselves and do so in very different ways. i am sure chuck was not trying to be hateful we are all friends here . lets try not to overreact, they are just words remember :D

cdigerlando
05-17-2001, 09:06 PM
Eddy your probably one of the few techs I would allow work on my car (maybe not now though for fear of retribution). You are very dedicated and I respect someone who loves and defends their work. I have not had that experience in Orlando. Probably because subaru is not as popular here as it is up north.

I am not going to argue with you about the transmission problems any more. Instead I think we should all be open minded and watch the track record of the level 10 rebuilds as compaired to the subaru ones. As of yet I have not heard of a problem with the level 10 rebuilds, however there are not as many of them out their so the data will be somewhat scewed in there favor.

As for me I will be a level 10 data point when the time comes, if I decide not to do a standard trans conversion. ;)

Aredubjay
05-17-2001, 11:17 PM
Chuck, I just wanted to say how much I admire your extension of an "olive branch." A nice way to end the thread.

svxboy
05-18-2001, 12:11 AM
cdigerlando, is this your original tranny that has 130 k on it? How is it holding up against the turbo? At what mileage did you install the tranny filter and cooler? Are you running a tranny temp gauge? If so, what temps have you recorded down there in the FL heat? Up here in WI, my tranny has gotten upto 200 degrees on an 85 degree day in city driving and that is with the B&M tranny cooler. I cant even imagine what kind of tranny temps are experienced w/o a cooler and on a 100+ degree day. I wonder if Kastle down in AZ runs a cooler on his SVX. I wonder if he could shed some light on what tranny temps are during a 120 degree day. Thanks for any info you have to offer, Greg