PDA

View Full Version : 6 Speed gear change install.

Dessertrunner
01-02-2008, 03:58 AM
I have been seeking advise in a different thread from Tom and I decided its best to start a new thread all so after much diliberation I have decided not to cut the linkage on the gear shift and instead install it as it was made. The interesting thing is the gear change un cut is the right length for me given I have long arms.
My second reason I have chosen not to cut it is that I have always felt that the ash tray and ligher were wasting important space that could be used for other jobs, such as boast gauge etc. If the gear stick is forward it should leave about 4 in spare infront of the hand break.
I will keep you posted on how I go. Attached is an image of were it is up to.
Tony

Speedklix
01-02-2008, 10:38 AM
can you shift into all gears with the shifter there.

I'd still lengthen it as the shifter IMO feels like it belongs with the tail mount at the rear of the autoshifter hole, but it is always good to know.

Dessertrunner
01-02-2008, 11:49 AM
Yes you can still shift. The other major reason for not lengthening the linkage is that it means extending the cable on the reverse and I am worried that I might get problems from this. As I go in to the desert a lot its always important to make the minium of changes possiable so you don't break down.
Tony

Speedklix
01-02-2008, 11:58 AM
Yes you can still shift. The other major reason for not lengthening the linkage is that it means extending the cable on the reverse and I am worried that I might get problems from this. As I go in to the desert a lot its always important to make the minium of changes possiable so you don't break down.
Tony

good point. no buzzard food... or what ever scavengers you have over there :eek:
besides, now you'll have room for a cup holder :lol:

hey what is that hanging off to the right anyway (covered in foam) anything to do with the DCCD?

Dessertrunner
01-02-2008, 06:30 PM
Its the speedo correction board as the wheels I run are 16% larger diameter then the original.

TomsSVX
01-02-2008, 09:51 PM
I can make up a set of 6mt shift linkage for you if you would like. Been beating the hell out of mine for 2 years with no issues. It really is best if you extend it

Tom

svxpert
01-02-2008, 09:58 PM
<<Yes you can still shift. The other major reason for not lengthening the linkage is that it means extending the cable on the reverse and I am worried that I might get problems from this. As I go in to the desert a lot its always important to make the minium of changes possiable so you don't break down.
Tony>>

the only thing that could give you problems from the lengthening would be the reverse might not actuate. but driving aroung in the desert, who uses reverse anyway!
no really, i'm with Tom, get one done by him and you'll be set. no worries there.

Dessertrunner
01-03-2008, 12:54 AM
I appricate your offer Tom I have just about done the install of the change now. I wanted to change the ash try etc and by moving the gear lever forward its done that. Also the change is more suited have a straight arm. I found with my 5 speed that the change was two far back.
I am sure that you guys are right I just want to try something different with the change.

Dessertrunner
01-03-2008, 01:44 AM
A couple of the job. One photo of the type of anlyser screen I would like to run when I am checking the engine for problems.

ridered777
01-03-2008, 08:21 AM
So what happened to the 5spd to make you go to the 6 speed?

Cheap 5 speed for sale somewhere? :lol:

Best of luck. Being a short guy, your shifter layout doesn't work for me and my little arms, but it's great that people are doing it differently so there are options out there.

sicksubie
01-03-2008, 10:07 AM
So what happened to the 5spd to make you go to the 6 speed?

Cheap 5 speed for sale somewhere? :lol:

Best of luck. Being a short guy, your shifter layout doesn't work for me and my little arms, but it's great that people are doing it differently so there are options out there.

Even if it was cheap you might as well cut off your right arm and sign away your first 2 male children to pay for shipping:eek:

Dessertrunner
01-03-2008, 11:27 AM
Yes freight from Aus would be a problem. The reason I changed was the need for a DCCD diff. When I drive in sand the back wheels stop driving due to the 10:90 ratio & when this happens I get stuck. Now I can switch the drive to 50:50 ratio and power on. Also the 6 speed is a lower gear ratio box more suited to dirt driving, the 5 speed was a high ratio road box.
Tony

TomsSVX
01-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Hey, the split on the 5mt's are 50/50 too... Just has an open center diff... The DCCD merely acts as a locker

Tom