PDA

View Full Version : rear anti-roll bar

TurnInConcepts
12-17-2007, 11:47 AM
So I found a pic of the rear anti-roll bar, and also found that it's a 19mm.

Would anyone happen to have dimensions for the bar? Overall length? Arm length? Stuff like that?

From looking at the pic it looks like the bar is VERY similar to what we've seen for the mini cooper rear bar, and I'm wondering if we can swap one on.

Speedklix
12-17-2007, 12:00 PM
the mini cooper rear bar, and I'm wondering if we can swap one on.

hmmm, I'd assume it was too narrow...
I think SVXfiles has alot of those dimensions, may want to PM him if he doesn't notice this. I know there was one memeber on here that was making a new one, not sure if he ever finished it though.

GreenMarine
12-17-2007, 12:27 PM

Would anyone happen to have dimensions for the bar? Overall length? Arm length? Stuff like that?

From looking at the pic it looks like the bar is VERY similar to what we've seen for the mini cooper rear bar, and I'm wondering if we can swap one on.

TIC!!! How are youguys?!?! I forgot who it was that I saw at the Dragon NASIOC meet this past summer but THANKS for the shifter bushings!!! They sure helped everything feel tighter :)... If youguys can work out avery large Front Bar and Rear bar I would definitely be on the buying list!! :)

~ Chris

SVXRide
12-17-2007, 12:40 PM
Here's the 22mm rear bar I did with my machinist. Chromemoly heated to shape and then heat treated to bring the strength back up. Heim ends on the end links we fabricated to go with the bar.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXRide/25579.jpg

TurnInConcepts
12-17-2007, 12:48 PM
Here's the 22mm rear bar I did with my machinist. Chromemoly heated to shape and then heat treated to bring the strength back up. Heim ends on the end links we fabricated to go with the bar.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXRide/25579.jpg

Perhaps you can answer this question - I'm looking at the pics of the stock bars. Are those spherical bearings in the end of the bar? It looks like it, and from the need for articulation it would make sense, but I want to make sure.

front bars are another subject, and I think would require my getting my hands on one to take some measurements. As it is, I've been thinking about the attachment to the strut body, and I have a couple of ideas for that.

SVXRide
12-17-2007, 02:05 PM
Perhaps you can answer this question - I'm looking at the pics of the stock bars. Are those spherical bearings in the end of the bar? It looks like it, and from the need for articulation it would make sense, but I want to make sure.

front bars are another subject, and I think would require my getting my hands on one to take some measurements. As it is, I've been thinking about the attachment to the strut body, and I have a couple of ideas for that.

Clint,
Ignore the right hand end link on the stock bar, I had to fabricate a new one when I bent the stock one in half during some early R&D work with a different bar:rolleyes: The stock end link is on the left hand end of the stock bar (wimpy, wimpy, wimpy...but then so are the front end links)
-Bill

SVXRide
12-17-2007, 02:08 PM
Little better view of the endlinks for my 22mm bar...

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXRide/25583.jpg

SVXRide
12-17-2007, 02:12 PM
and yes, this is what happens to the strut housing mounted front end link attachment points when you put a 25mm, three piece front bar on....:eek:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXRide/26810.jpg

Roo
12-17-2007, 07:52 PM

Clint,

I'm going to be starting a project of restoring my SVX soon...sooner than later. I expect it to take quite some time to do, and for that period of time, I'll not be needing swaybars. If you'd like, I'll send you both the front and rear bars for your use in making some upgraded units.

Hopefully I'll get some consideration on the price of your upgraded units to install when I put the car back together ;)

TurnInConcepts
12-17-2007, 09:00 PM
Clint,

I'm going to be starting a project of restoring my SVX soon...sooner than later. I expect it to take quite some time to do, and for that period of time, I'll not be needing swaybars. If you'd like, I'll send you both the front and rear bars for your use in making some upgraded units.

Hopefully I'll get some consideration on the price of your upgraded units to install when I put the car back together ;)

I never said I was making. Given the shape of the rear I'm willing to bet that with some research I can find something off the shelf for another make and model that would fit nicely.

As for the front - well, that's going to take some work given the endlink mount problem.

I have a couple of ideas on this, but need to get under the car to check it out. Good thing Bret bought two of them. :)

svxfiles
12-17-2007, 10:43 PM

TIC!
You are in Cincinnati!
Mark5, (my Favorite Brother) lives there and has two SVXi on hand to measure.
Or if it helps I can drop off a rear bar on Dec 29th as I pass through.
With the remarcable improvements an anti sway bar can make I'm in!
If you need me to drop off a front bar as well call me at
301-707-3437, just don't let anyone see the #;)

:rolleyes:

SilverSpear
12-18-2007, 01:20 AM
I am interested in both front and rear (especially front, if it is gonna be done also)... of course with a sexy price as always :lol:

TurnInConcepts
12-19-2007, 10:42 AM
TIC!
You are in Cincinnati!
Mark5, (my Favorite Brother) lives there and has two SVXi on hand to measure.
Or if it helps I can drop off a rear bar on Dec 29th as I pass through.
With the remarcable improvements an anti sway bar can make I'm in!
If you need me to drop off a front bar as well call me at
301-707-3437, just don't let anyone see the #;)

:rolleyes:

SWEET!! Have him contact me - since Bret is up in Columbus, and I'm not a patient person...

svxfiles
12-19-2007, 11:57 AM
SWEET!! Have him contact me - since Bret is up in Columbus, and I'm not a patient person...

Send hil a PM.;)

Tim
12-19-2007, 03:54 PM
I'd be interested in a bigger rear bar too :)

wawazat??
12-19-2007, 09:37 PM
hmmm...how many of these could I sell after I make mine???

Todd

TurnInConcepts
12-26-2007, 08:29 PM
hmmm...how many of these could I sell after I make mine???

Todd

Probably enough to cover cost and make some beer money. You should go for it.

On a side note - keep an eye on the chassis mount brackets for the bar. The ones on the new LGT like to bend, and from the pics these look like a across of what we see on the new LGT and the new Imp.

Speedklix
12-26-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm a loser.. I had a mini on the lift today and didn't think of this :rolleyes:

oh well, it's coming back to recieve a replacement fan for the electric power steering. yeah, the best design ever... slap a weak fan with chincy bearings under the car in the best place to suck up water, salt, and dirt... then make sure that the car's rad fan relies on it's fuse :rolleyes:

if there is time i'll measure it.

sabin
12-27-2007, 04:59 AM
i have a bar from a mini, i can measure it this weekend

SVX9000
12-27-2007, 06:53 PM
for you to start looking at parts for this Clint. :rolleyes:
As soon as I get plates on them I'll try to get the '92 down there and leave it with you to look over. Then you can measure all the pieces parts you need. It could use some new stuff in the rear suspension area for sure.

Speedklix
12-27-2007, 07:23 PM
i have a bar from a mini, i can measure it this weekend

swell! It was far too busy for me to play around with that thing today, so I'm glad you just happen to have one.

Nevin
01-05-2008, 09:36 AM
If whoever decides to make a bigger one, I'm in.

'Nuf said.

sabin
01-05-2008, 10:59 AM
the mini cooper rear bar is 50" long end to end and 8" deep