PDA

View Full Version : Euro bumper vs. Front Splitters vs. Both vs. Stock

WestCoastSVX
12-14-2007, 09:53 AM
I'm linking to this other thread for pictures (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42321)(I'm lazy), but I thought I'd start a new one to actually ask the question.

What's your opinion on the best front end look for the SVX?

Stock is beautiful, but if you are trying for a little something different (but can't create a custom one-off for yourself or afford to order one of the ones from Japan).

So the two options for the average person looking for a change would be the Euro bumper (stevesby). Or putting the front splitters on the stock bumper.

Or as proposed in the linked thread, putting the splitters on the euro bumper, which would involve a bit of modification (there are photochops of that idea later down in that thread).

What does everyone think? If you have one or the other add your pics to this thread to support your front end look!

SubaSteevo
12-14-2007, 10:04 AM
My answer:

E) Stock bumper with filled body line & splitters
http://i7.tinypic.com/6tp86r5.jpg

Crazy_pilot
12-14-2007, 05:40 PM
Wow, that looks strangely very different and very nice.

My thoughts: I love the Euro style bumper, but I think it should have the body line in it for symmetry with the rest of the car. Or maybe not, after seeing Steve's picture. The euro bumper I see most often is the Motorsports one, which is unpainted in that picture.

I don't really like the splitters. The seams are too obvious, and it looks like a bolt on aftermarket body mod (even though that's what it is). If it was tied in better with some filler I might like it better, but as is I'm not a big fan.

If I were to make a bumper it would have similar holes to the Euro style one, but with a more aggresive "chin". ie; the lower lip wouldn't be so far back from the front.

YourConfused
12-14-2007, 05:47 PM
Is there a point to the lip splitters? I don't see that they do anything for the car and wonder what the purpose of them can be. Seems like something that would just hit a parking curb and break. Am I missing something here?

SubaSteevo
12-14-2007, 06:02 PM
Is there a point to the lip splitters? I don't see that they do anything for the car and wonder what the purpose of them can be. Seems like something that would just hit a parking curb and break. Am I missing something here?

The front bumper of the SVX is definitely a bit "dated". IMO, the splitters add a bit of aggressiveness and updates the look.

NikFu S.
12-14-2007, 07:08 PM
This:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/|Z|Ryuken/Carstuff/svx_cloud_20060713.jpg

Tim
12-14-2007, 08:09 PM
The splitters are definitely there to make a more aggressive look. The fit and finish is not great, but from 10-15' away I feel it looks good, especially when lowered.

They really do take away from the daily driveability in my opinion, because I always worry about scraping them. I already have a gash on one of the edges from parking too close to the curb. I also don't take the car to new brunswick anymore to avoid the risk.

Tim
12-14-2007, 08:12 PM
http://www.timeng.net/photos/svxfixed/svxmurano8.jpg

Crazy_pilot
12-14-2007, 08:17 PM
Sexy.

The splitters are a purely visual mod, you will not notice any driving difference at all.

sicksubie
12-14-2007, 08:23 PM
Once I graduate I would be willing to spend a very pretty sum to get the Cloud City bumpers

94SubieSVX
12-14-2007, 10:26 PM
This:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/|Z|Ryuken/Carstuff/svx_cloud_20060713.jpg

This bumper with an enourmous FMI(and matching turbo of course).^^^^^

Another thing I was just thinking of was...if the splitters are used with either the stock bumper or euro bumper, they would look best with the matching side skirts(cloud or stevesby(if he ever gets to finish them)).
Then all that would be left is the rear bumper.

subbieatnz
12-15-2007, 05:27 AM
i prefer the orignal bumper and the front splitters :tongue:

where can you get the front splitters from?

redlinedeath
12-15-2007, 03:03 PM
This:

HOOOOOLY CRAP!! I LOVE IT! i think itd be REALLY nice if the rear had a diffuser on the underside of the bumper. i wish i knew how to do fiberglass work:(

sicksubie
12-15-2007, 05:00 PM
I thought that stevesby had a front bumper that looked very similar to the cloud front bumper..... In all seriousness though how much would it cost to get a set made.

Tim
12-15-2007, 05:34 PM
i prefer the orignal bumper and the front splitters :tongue:

where can you get the front splitters from?

Dayle from motorsports has em.

SVXMAN2001
12-15-2007, 05:39 PM
Steve made one that kind of mimic's the k-staff bumper available in japan. Steve's bumper sorta resembles it but the k-staff is a bit more aggresive. The cloud design is not for sale, as far as i know. I remember there being a thread a while back about the cloud bumpers and the thread came to that conclusion.

subbieatnz
12-15-2007, 06:05 PM
Dayle from motorsports has em.

whats there website?

sicksubie
12-15-2007, 06:08 PM
planetsvx.com

black beast
12-16-2007, 06:08 PM
I have the Euro front with a N1 type front spoiler. It seems to work where before i could corner at 100+ on the highway if I wanted wet pants (not really but close to wet) now I can corner easily and not worry about it. The idea of the front spoiler is to keep the air from going under the car unce it hits the bumper (I have the euro so it goes to the raiator or my air tubes) Works great so far.

94SubieSVX
12-16-2007, 09:29 PM
I have the Euro front with a N1 type front spoiler. It seems to work where before i could corner at 100+ on the highway if I wanted wet pants (not really but close to wet) now I can corner easily and not worry about it. The idea of the front spoiler is to keep the air from going under the car unce it hits the bumper (I have the euro so it goes to the raiator or my air tubes) Works great so far.

Got any pics of it?

SilverSpear
12-17-2007, 01:01 AM
This:

I adore the front and the sides, but... I am still not digging the rear. The nice sides do not flow with the rear. Well I should admit that the SVX's rear end is challenging somehow...

Sir. Nate
12-17-2007, 03:05 AM
I adore the front and the sides, but... I am still not digging the rear. The nice sides do not flow with the rear. Well I should admit that the SVX's rear end is challenging somehow...

I really like this look, it gives it a euro-supercar feel

black beast
12-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Let me see if i can find a pic, the cam I have been using is lost in the void I call my home.

NikFu S.
12-17-2007, 07:55 PM

I agree on these points, but it seems easy enough to simply mold this rear bumper downward and out a bit near the rear wheel to match the side.

Maybe it could use a rear lip spoiler.:D

Johnybeas
12-18-2007, 07:12 PM
can we get someone to make the cloud front bumper??? I was in love with the kstaff before but I really like that cloud one!!!!

sicksubie
12-18-2007, 08:25 PM
like I said...... I would pay well for a cloud front and rear bumpers...

WestCoastSVX
12-20-2007, 12:18 PM
like I said...... I would pay well for a cloud front and rear bumpers...

Don't forget the side skirts!

I know they are actually making the skirts and I think Dayle can even get them over here, but it would be cool if those could be made over here as well (to save some $$$) and the option of all 4 pieces sold as a package.

94SubieSVX
12-20-2007, 12:56 PM
Don't forget the side skirts!

I know they are actually making the skirts and I think Dayle can even get them over here, but it would be cool if those could be made over here as well (to save some $$$) and the option of all 4 pieces sold as a package.

Stevesby was making them but hasnt updated in a while.

WestCoastSVX
12-20-2007, 03:05 PM
Stevesby was making them but hasnt updated in a while.

A looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooong while.

I remember seeing his finished prototype done and mounted to his car 4 or 5 years ago. Then he moved and didn't get to start production. Guess the time still isn't right? :confused:

hint hint Come on Steve!

I think Steve did his with 2 pieces per side, and they joined in the middle. I forget if this was to make shipping cheaper or had to do with the mounting or something else. Seems the Japanese ones are 1 piece. One piece would look cleaner, but I wonder if there was an issue that Steve was trying to avoid by making it 2 pieces (which the stock pieces in that area are I believe).

From the work Steve did on the Euro bumper and the side skirts, I have no doubt he could get the Cloud City front and rear done right as well. But obviously he lacks the time these days...

94SubieSVX
12-20-2007, 03:45 PM

I remember seeing his finished prototype done and mounted to his car 4 or 5 years ago. Then he moved and didn't get to start production. Guess the time still isn't right? :confused:

hint hint Come on Steve!

I think Steve did his with 2 pieces per side, and they joined in the middle. I forget if this was to make shipping cheaper or had to do with the mounting or something else. Seems the Japanese ones are 1 piece. One piece would look cleaner, but I wonder if there was an issue that Steve was trying to avoid by making it 2 pieces (which the stock pieces in that area are I believe).

From the work Steve did on the Euro bumper and the side skirts, I have no doubt he could get the Cloud City front and rear done right as well. But obviously he lacks the time these days...

I read through that whole thread and he made them 2 piece to make up for the body twisting. Like when you take a turn real hard the sotck side skirts are 2 piece so they won't crack. I can't really explain it right lol, but I hope you get what I mean.

I reallllllly want him to finish them because $250+shipping is so much better than $1200+shipping:)

WestCoastSVX
12-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Yeah that makes total sense, well explained. :)

Sounds like you've been following this better than me (I was a lot more active back when he started this and am slowly catching up). Has he ever mentioned if he plans to continue with this or what the issues holding him up are? Seems like for his price there would be a lot of us willing to pay up front to help him get this going. But money is probably not the issue here.

94SubieSVX
12-21-2007, 02:38 PM
A while back I had said something to him, he told me he was just too busy right now. Has alot on his plate and the side skirts aren't very important right now.

I know there were alot of people who even put in a deposit for them and he had to return them cuz he was so far behind!

Once they are finished, and I have some extra $$$ I am definately gonna buy a set.

Motorsport-SVX
12-24-2007, 03:48 PM
I like the splitters for a few reasons..
they actually dont hang down as far as you may think
and less prone to getting damaged.
If they do, they are fiberglass and easy to fill and fix.
They dont act like snow plows in the snow season either
so they stay on better in bad weather.
If you dont like the seam they end up with, its easy to fill
the seam with a epoxy filler and give it a more molded look
if you desire. Not necessary but an simple solution for that.
Plus they really arent that $ compared to some of the other
options we all have out there.
Im getting more Cloud stuff in Jan 08, but actually making it
is far off due to cost of molds vs how many we would have
to sell and at what price.

Ive had splitters for 5 yrs on my own car :D

black beast
01-10-2008, 08:34 PM
To anyone waiting on pics for my euro with the front spoiler... I will post in the spring AFTER I buy a new one... Nitto Invo's + snowy/ice = ripped in half spoiler... Grr..
Will post in the spring.

Stevebsy
01-12-2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah....I'm slow :(

Recently I did find someone to help me, so things may be changing/progressing soon if it all works out right.

Work @50 hrs/week + 2 kids + Working Mrs. Stevebsy =/= not much spare time I'm afraid... With my helper I hope to start pushing things along so there will be some progress at least.

hint hint Come on Steve!

sowise
01-31-2008, 07:46 PM
just a thought if people decide to get together and pool their money to buy one complete set and have them sent to either a fiberglass company for some kind of limited reproduction or even ABS plastic would maybe be better. Once that first cast or whatever they do is made the rest should be alot cheaper. Just a thought I found this place as an example: http://www.mcclarinplastics.com/services.html

Motorsport-SVX
01-31-2008, 08:19 PM
btw, just for those who have been patiently waiting..
we got 8 sets of splitters in yesterday
(after waiting 3 months..)
so if you had some on order or where wanting some now
email me
thanks
Dayle

bwb3
02-01-2008, 07:57 AM
Is that the JDM fiberglass ones Dayle?
Gene

Motorsport-SVX
02-01-2008, 09:35 AM