PDA

View Full Version : SVX Owner's Club Organization

svxter
03-02-2001, 09:10 AM
This thread is for the purpose of discussing, and hopefully reaching some consensus, on the desireability of having a "formal" SVX club, along the lines of SOCA and other clubs around the country. This means a formal organization with officers, dues, etc. This web site would be adopted as the "official" SVX owner's club web site, and would be supported by a portion of club dues. It is my feeling that this is a step the SVX community needs to take, and I'm willing to devote time to helping form the organization. But, like this site, it's not something a single person can, or should, do.

So, folks, the floor is open for discussion. Should we form such an organization? How would it be organized? What would be its activities? What do you think?

PS. Also please check out the Volunteers thread, which deals with maintenance of this site.

svxxx26
03-02-2001, 09:57 AM
Yes, I am in favor of a more formal "club" organization, with officers, dues, by-laws, etc.

I was once active in the Mountain State Chapter of the BMWCCA, so I'm not exactly a stranger to that sort of thing - I actually miss it.

The main obstacle that I see will be just taking the initial step. Do we have enough interested people to make it workable?

Going back to the BMWCCA: The main problem we had at the Chapter level was turnout/participation. The same members were officers, came to the meets, did the newsletter and provided input year after year. The rest were signed up and paid the dues, but never did anything. The downside of that is burnout. I know after 3 years of being Newsletter Editor, it started feeling like a job!

Having said all that, it may sound like I'm down on the idea - I'm not. But it can't be over emphasized that the key to having a fun club/organization is PARTICIPATION.

So let's see if we can get a feel for how many want to carry this idea forward and do it!

montypython
03-02-2001, 03:20 PM
We began discussing such a possibility on the Yahoo board about six months ago, but the idea fizzled away.
Personally, I would favor such an organization and would be willing to help in any capacity I could.
The obstacle I see is trying to get everyones ideas out and all the details in place using this electronic media.
Many years ago, I was involved with several motor clubs and sat on a couple of committees and unless you got people together, face to face it was very difficult to effectively iron out the details.
The other fear is that when someone is sat at a keyboard they may make committments they later can not keep.
On the other hand, the probability of getting a key group of SVXers together, in person for this purpose is low. So if we're going to do it, it will have to be eyeball to monitor.
Am I making sense?
Add me to your aye list.

Chad
03-02-2001, 08:52 PM
I would like to help out too. I know that there isn't too much participation in the northwest, but I would like to help out doing whatever I can.

svxter
03-04-2001, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I just really feel very strongly that we need to take this step. so, let's keep talking it up, and I'll start scribbling some things down, and throw them up for comment.

svxter
03-21-2001, 11:41 AM
Attached is a copy of a draft Mission Statement. Please feel free to suggest any changes, additions, deletions, etc. The mission statement is just a statement of purposes - what does this organization intend to do, what are its objectives, etc. Note that it does not spell how to achieve them in any detail. It's just a broad statement of objectives.

Thanks

svxter
03-21-2001, 11:57 AM
Somehow, I managed to blow the attachment part. Here's take 2.

tober76b
03-21-2001, 11:59 AM
uhhh.....i'm not seeing the attachment.
toby

tober76b
03-21-2001, 12:02 PM
darnit, while i was writing that last msg, you added the second one.
now i look 'slow'. :p
toby

Aredubjay
03-21-2001, 12:05 PM
The beauty of this board is, Toby -- you can delete your previous message. Then, people can wonder what this messages is about until I realize you've deleted yours and delete mine.

tober76b
03-21-2001, 12:07 PM
i like the mission statement. good work.
now to figure out what we want to call ourselves.
toby

tober76b
03-21-2001, 12:08 PM
randy.....if i go ahead and start deleting my messages, how am i ever going to catch up to the 'big guns'?
[stated in a tone like this would actually be possible]
toby

svxter
03-27-2001, 03:05 PM
Attached is a draft of the first several articles of a constitution. Please read and comment. Note: This is not intended as a final document, but a starting point for discussion. I'll post the rest in a day or so.

svxter
03-28-2001, 11:25 AM
Here are the remaining Articles that are part of the first draft.

svxter
03-28-2001, 12:47 PM
Here is a complete draft of a constitution, with the first round of suggested changes. Please review and comment.

Doug, please look at how I've incorporated your modifications, and see if you agree with the format, wording, etc.

TIA

Aredubjay
04-16-2001, 09:40 AM
Okay, folks. I have decided not to let this idea die on the vine like it has twice before (since I've been involved in "SVXdom."

Now that membership in the "Network" has "soared" to 136, I'm bringing this thread up again. And I will continue to bring it up 'til we get concensus or somebody kills me :)

svxxx26
04-16-2001, 09:50 AM
The constitution/by-laws looked OK to me - so what's our next step?
Are we ready to nominate officers, or is it to early in the game?
What's left before we take the plunge and actually do this? :confused:

Jaylinb
04-16-2001, 11:08 AM
I liked what you've put together so far. I'll be glad to support in any way I can, let's hope we get more on the bandwagon to push this through.

svxter
04-16-2001, 12:58 PM
Randy, Jerry & anyone else coming to TN this weekend:

I hope we can find a few minutes during the weekend to discuss these matters. Not that I want to detract from the social time, but Randy's right - this is too important to let it wither for lack of interest.

svxter
12-03-2001, 04:25 PM
Here's the prior discussion.

immortal_suby
12-03-2001, 04:55 PM
I thought I saw it yesterday, but now I can't find it - how do I get on the listserv for the formal organization and where is the "volunteers" thread?

SVXphile
12-03-2001, 05:07 PM
Here we go again; I must be missing some plug-in. Nothing comes up.:( Don

Aredubjay
12-03-2001, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by svxter
Here's the prior discussion.

I was reading through this earlier. It's an excellent discussion with lots of good points. It was super, until we got off on the "spam" discussion. :rolleyes: Perhaps we can, at least, stay somewhat on topic this time --- well, I'll TRY anyway. :)

svxter
12-03-2001, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by immortal_suby
I thought I saw it yesterday, but now I can't find it - how do I get on the listserv for the formal organization and where is the "volunteers" thread?

Send me your name and email address.

Digging up the volunteers thread is probably not worth it - it probably doesn't have
much relevance, since it was directed more to this site.

Jamsvx
12-04-2001, 10:24 PM
I chose not to reply to the email offline till I made sure that the virus that seems to be plaguing the world was not present on my machine to send to the world or alternatively, trying to come to my machine!! If I lost all my scanned SVX data for my website I would do unspeakable things to myself!!:eek:

More seriously, the speed at which the constitution is forming is amazing! I have been having trouble trying to access the latter documents from my work computer so I am wondering what contemplation has been made to o/s SVX'ers like myself, Paul, Joe et al.

As soon as my home PC is up to speed I will be playing catch-ups.

Regards

Jamsvx