PDA

View Full Version : Catch Can Install

sicksubie
11-20-2007, 05:22 PM
I installed my Greddy catch can tonight. No issues at all but as I will explain I was thankful that the seller included his stock WRX hoses with the can.

I installed it where my battery used to be:
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/silver%20svx/IMG_6946.jpg

This is a piece of a stock WRX hose running up and connecting to a length of stock SVX hose
http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/silver%20svx/IMG_6942.jpg

And this is a picture of the hoses. I plugged off the nipple on the pass side of the intake.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/silver%20svx/IMG_6938.jpg

SVXMAN2001
11-20-2007, 06:12 PM
sicksubie, what is the purpose and benefit of this?

sicksubie
11-20-2007, 08:38 PM
It is in line between the vent on each valve cover and the return nipples on the intake. This acts as a separator for the oily air that without it gets pushed back into the intake. This is why on a stock car you see oil gunk in the intake and throttle bodies. This is a great mod with even N/A cars. I will probably looking for another one for my red car now.

Myxalplyx
11-20-2007, 08:44 PM
It is in line between the vent on each valve cover and the return nipples on the intake. This acts as a separator for the oily air that without it gets pushed back into the intake. This is why on a stock car you see oil gunk in the intake and throttle bodies. This is a great mod with even N/A cars. I will probably looking for another one for my red car now.

So it is not beneficial for your throttle body and intake valves to get oiled every now and then? :) Looks nice BTW!

sicksubie
11-20-2007, 08:52 PM
I was putting a lot of oil into the intake and that I guess is what happens when you go forced induction. However, I have noticed on N/A SVX's that they also get a significant amount up in the intake too. I am guessing that as the mileage goes up on a car the more oil will pass through those vents and get up into the intake.

sicksubie
01-08-2008, 11:32 PM
Here is a pic of what I was dealing with before the catch can..

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s73/facagoalie/6spd%20swap/IMG_7004.jpg

RSVX
01-08-2008, 11:36 PM
Holy crap, I never!

YourConfused
01-08-2008, 11:45 PM
For what you are dealing with it looks like your catch can could use a oil return line on it. I'm not even being sarcastic this time. That is some serious oil misting on what appears to be a more than broken-in motor.

sicksubie
01-09-2008, 12:06 AM
Motor only has 2500 or so miles at this point.... A return line eh? Hmmmmmmmmmm.... I may have to look into that.

YourConfused
01-09-2008, 12:58 AM
Thought the mileage in your sig was a typo. Are you getting blow-by? What could be forcing all that oil up into the intake? Are the stock VC's missing a baffle or filter?

CorSVXette
01-09-2008, 04:53 AM
I installed it where my battery used to be:

Where's your battery?:confused:

kcpaz
01-09-2008, 07:02 AM
what about the other crank case vent that is under the intake manifold? In reality you still need to hook up that third vent to your catch can to keep yout butterflys completely clean. The one I'm referring to has two ports on it. The bottom port goes to the PCV valve on the bottom side of the intake manifold, and the top port goes up to the intake.

sicksubie
01-09-2008, 07:11 AM
It is a stage 3 kit... There is no PCV valve..:rolleyes:

sicksubie
01-09-2008, 07:12 AM
Where's your battery?:confused:

In the trunk....

sicksubie
01-09-2008, 07:14 AM
Thought the mileage in your sig was a typo. Are you getting blow-by? What could be forcing all that oil up into the intake? Are the stock VC's missing a baffle or filter?

nope..... 2508 actual mileage on a rebuilt with ECUtune internals, motor. Like I said earlier in the post forced induction motors are more prone to this sort of thing.

SVXRide
01-09-2008, 08:05 AM
Bobby,
Holy Cr!p! That looks like the intake "snorkus" on my Sentra that had a PCV valve stuck shut. Not knowing exactly how the Stage 3 is set up to deal with crank case "vapors", I think I'd hazzard a guess that something isn't exactly right if you're pulling this much oil up. I'd suggest looking at reorienting the sight glass in the catch can, as the way it is now really isn't telling you how much is in the can. The way it is now, it's only going to tell you when the level reaches the sight glass.
-Bill

sicksubie
01-09-2008, 11:28 AM
I understand what you are saying about the sight glass and i fooled around with putting it on its side so that it would work a little bit better, but I decided to do it this way anyways. I do a little checklist thing every Saturday morning after washing the car checking various fluids, hoses, etc. I will just add checking the level of the catch can to the list.

What about a return line though? Any ideas on that?

YourConfused
01-09-2008, 07:09 PM
I haven't thought this thru fully yet, but what about a reverse vac canister for the catch can. Something that stores up your boost pressure during boosted time that, when seeing a vacume purges the catch can to the crankcase. I have never heard of nor seen anything like it, but maybe it is a concept you could do something with.

I was also unaware that a stage 3 eliminated the pcv system, which totally explains all the oil in the intake.

Boxersix
01-09-2008, 07:33 PM
............ stores up your boost pressure during boosted time that, when seeing a vacume purges the catch can to the crankcase................

Big no no, as catch can contains moisture from condensation and that would not be wise to purge back into you motor.

Sight glasses on catch cans are a waste of time as they clog up and 99% of the time are completely clouded to the point where they're useless anyway. Don't waste your time reorienting it. Just drain it every oil change. If it's filling up more than halfway every 3K miles you have BIG issues with your motor that need to be resolved.

Make sure there is a vacuum draw on the can, I can't tell by your line routing if there is or not. they work 100% more effectively that way.

Every car should have a close circuit catch can in my opinion. Just keeps things cleaner, especially compressor housings and intercooler cores. I'll be running a complete vac pump setup on my car with integral CC. Dry sump system in the works. Woot! :)

YourConfused
01-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah but the operating temp of the motor would evaporate the moisture and the catch ca.... doh! Stupid moisture doesn't stupid go where I stupid want it to.:lol:

sicksubie
01-10-2008, 06:45 AM
I am not going to run a return line off the catch can... Like I said earlier I will just add checking the catch can to my weekly list of things to do...

Phast SVX
01-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Ive seen worse, but that is definetly some pccp!