PDA

View Full Version : 92's for sale — U pick

lakefivehenry
05-12-2002, 10:29 PM
Three 92's and I should sell one. A beautifully modified pearl version with 23000 miles, a silver model with 34000 and a black with 43500 miles are available. I have several sets of wheels and tires from which to choose. Because of the low miles, my prices will be high compared to those costing ten grand with a hundred thousand clicks or more.

Maybe somebody would prefer a nice 64 El Camino with a 350 and four speed. How about a 390 powered 1960 Ford half ton 4X4. Maybe you'd like a Little Red Wagon 79 Dodge half ton.

Too many to list. Should sell a few.

Ron

punisher
05-12-2002, 10:56 PM
Ever since I saw THE MEXICAN I've always fantasized about owning an El Camino. Well, not always...in fact, that fantasy only lasted a week....but still a very cool car. Anyway, you're saying you're asking over 10 grand for the black 92?

lakefivehenry
05-13-2002, 10:12 AM
Punisher,

The El Camino in "The Mexican" was listed on ebay a while back. The 64 has nicer lines but didn't sport 396 big blocks from the factory although the blue one in the movie probably didn't either as it had the auto with column mounted shifter. It was supposedly signed on the dash by Brad, Julia and maybe the "Sopranos" guy.

The black 92 has 43500 miles, a global positioning unit, chromed SVX wheels and I'd need $13 to let it go the way it sits. I'm in Montana which is either good or bad. The car is delightful.

Ron

sjv
05-13-2002, 11:14 AM
So you're saying you really aren't interested in selling it unless someone offers you crazy money.

For some perspective, an immaculate '96 SVX (with recently replaced tranny, 60K service with timing belt change, new tires, etc...) with the same mileage had a hard time breaking $12K on E-bay, and the seller had a $14K reserve. Now it didn't have a GPS or chromed wheels, so perhaps it's not a fair comparison...

I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade, but these cars trade hands for less than you'd think. While they are rare, they are not collector's cars. They will only depreciate.

UStifosi
05-13-2002, 12:40 PM
You can knock $2,000 off the price for being located in Montana. sjv is right. Do they sell mileage rollback cars in Montana???

0260N4
05-13-2002, 02:39 PM
Can you post a picture of your chromed wheels? I would like to see how that turned out. Thanks

lakefivehenry
05-13-2002, 10:45 PM
All three of these cars are exceptional and haven't had any speedometer altering. If you don't know the difference between low miles and high, you save those with few miles for the drivers who do. Thanks. As for the assumption that a Montana car warrants an automatic $2000 reduction, stay in the crowded city where you feel comfortable, can trust people, buy locally and for less.

UStifosi
05-14-2002, 08:32 AM
How much less???

43000 on a '92 hmmmmmm....sounds like tranny rebuild time. Why are you selling? What is the background on these 3?

lakefivehenry
05-14-2002, 09:43 AM
Come on Usti. I currently have three 92's which is why one could go. U pick. The transmissions shift great. I habitually drop to third for grades or lower speeds so a one to one ratio pulls the car rather than overdrive gears. It's got to be easier on the weak link. And in the event of failure, a backup gearbox occupies a corner in the shop. Because of low miles, my pricing remains on the outer edge, but not crazy. For the $2000 discount, you've got to bring a horse to trade or a cherry wagon. Oh there are so many ways to take this. With warmth for sure.

subymtnguy
05-14-2002, 09:35 PM
I lived in Anaconda Montana for 4 years when I was a Marine Corps recruiter in Butte. A Montana car should be a premium, not a discount. You won't find rust on a Montana car....

Montana is a GREAT place! They even have flush toilets and electric lights there, and no big city crap....Its not called the "The last best place" for nothing!;)

Beav
05-14-2002, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by subymtnguy
Montana is a GREAT place! Ditto that from me. I've only been to a small portion but I liked what I saw. I've been sitting here tonight scouring the real estate listings and wondering why I'm looking in KY instead of out west... I'm getting homesick, I guess.:(

lakefivehenry
05-14-2002, 10:20 PM
Beav and the ex-Marine,

Montana is darned nice. I flew to Pensacola in April and drove a 454 powered 79 Airstream motorhome back to Whitefish. Nashville was an easy day haul where I visited a friend for a couple days and headed out. I was home in 48 hours. Montana provided the nicest scenery of the trip.

And there are too many people out there. We've barely cracked 900,000 in the fourth largest state. I couldn't live where the population was denser than the Flathead Valley and where the boundary of a city is indistinguishable from the next from the next ...

Our Highway Department has taken to spraying our roads in the winter however so our cars will be taking it in the shorts.

If you get a chance, www.lakefiveresort.com is a pretty nice Montana getaway.

jasonh328
05-29-2002, 02:16 PM
I am having trouble getting $10k for my '96 with 55k miles and you think your 92's are worth MORE than that?

Boone
05-29-2002, 02:33 PM
Geez, the dealer here is selling '96s for 16-17K. :eek: :rolleyes: :p

lakefivehenry
05-29-2002, 09:44 PM
Seems to me there were few changes that improved these cars significantly between 92 and 97. Like many first production year models, SVX Subarus were fastest in 1992. Fewer miles and better condition trumps later model. And if you're under a gun to sell quickly, you won't be able to choose the caliber, let alone wait for your buyer.

jasonh328
05-30-2002, 06:59 AM
Well that depends on wether you want a car with a bad tranny or not. 92's were the worst for transmission problems. That is why the transmission was changed on subsequent models, which are resultingly slightly less fast. Also, later models don't have those damn motorized seatbelts or the stupid rubber bits on the bumpers.

Why do you think that you know something about car values? You obviously don't Take a look at a car book ( I recommend NADA black book ), mileage makes a very small difference in price on these cars.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Boone: Do you know the phone # of the dealership you mentioned.

Boone
05-30-2002, 12:01 PM
Jason,
The dealer is Subaru of Nashua 603-888-9999. They had three '96s there a few days ago. Usually they get them at auctions in the south east. Let me know if I can help. ;)

Aredubjay
05-30-2002, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by jasonh328
Also, later models don't have those damn motorized seatbelts or the stupid rubber bits on the bumpers.

I like my motorized seat belts. Also, WHAT "rubber bits" on the bumpers? I don't have "rubber bits" on my '92 bumpers. :confused:

lakefivehenry
05-31-2002, 09:13 AM
Dear Jason,

If you feel there is no difference between an automobile with a half, a quarter or maybe a tenth of the miles of another, you're likely driving a car with a hundred and fifty thousand clicks and trying to feel it is as valuable as one with a tenth the miles. Feel good. Trust your blue book. You won't be dissappointed.

I try to find vehicles that haven't been abused and this generally equates with low mileage.

I prefer the automatic shoulder strap to the later method. I haven't had transmission problems due in part to running predominantly in third until speed warrants overdrive gears. A spare transmission sits in the shop awaiting my need or the need of any friend who purchases one of my low mileage SVX Subarus.

See if your blue book factors in that.

Never2phat
05-31-2002, 10:23 AM
If you guys don't start to play nice Randy just might take your keyboards away :D :D :D

:D B.C. :D

Ron Mummert
05-31-2002, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I like my motorized seat belts. Also, WHAT "rubber bits" on the bumpers? I don't have "rubber bits" on my '92 bumpers. :confused:

The rubber bits were used to fill the holes left by the removal of the deer whistles. I too, actually like the motorized belts, except when holding a 96oz box 'o whatever.

Ron.

Aredubjay
05-31-2002, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by lakefivehenry
Three 92's and I should sell one. A beautifully modified pearl version with 23000 miles, a silver model with 34000 and a black with 43500 miles are available. I have several sets of wheels and tires from which to choose. Because of the low miles, my prices will be high compared to those costing ten grand with a hundred thousand clicks or more.

Maybe somebody would prefer a nice 64 El Camino with a 350 and four speed. How about a 390 powered 1960 Ford half ton 4X4. Maybe you'd like a Little Red Wagon 79 Dodge half ton.

Too many to list. Should sell a few.

Ron

When I bought my '92 with 109K in '99, I paid 8,990.00. And that was with a Legacy tranny (little did I know).

I'd gladly pay in the low teens for a pristine, stock 92 with only 23K, if I had it. I'd even book a few nights at the lodge when I came to pick it up. :D Trouble is, the C.U. will only loan around 5 grand on a ten year old SVX for 3 years.

jasonh328
05-31-2002, 03:26 PM
lakefivehenry:

Are you really that stupid or just illiterate. You say my car probably has 150k or more. As I mentioned earlier, it has only 55k and it only has that many miles because i had a 2 hour drive to work. Second, the BLUE book is for consumers, the prices it gives are just plain wrong. Professionals use the BLACK book, which I mentioned earlier. Also, I would be willing to bet my car is in as good or better condition than any or all of your 'old' SVXs. Why would you keep an extra tranny around unless you were counting on one to go out. Mine's not going anywhere, it's just as good as the day I bought the car. I hope you do find some sucker to buy one or more your cars, but let's not try to pretend your prices are reasonable. I could buy a '97 with 2k miles and has never been titled for $16k (from Troncalli Subaru in Atlanta in case anyone is interested). I'd like to see your 92 compete with that.

By the way, in case you want to know the truth, the adjusted mileage according to NADA BLACK BOOK is only worth $1025.00 on a 92 SVX. Don't just take my word for it, go ask a car dealer or at the very least someone who knows more about cars than you do.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Boone: Thanks for the info.

Ron: Glad to hear someone else knows what I am talking about as far as the 92 and 93 bumpers.

Aredubjay
05-31-2002, 03:38 PM
Jason, no need to get your drawers in a wad over this. :D <------ (Note smiley, not being mean)

I'd still like to know what you mean about the "rubber bits" on the bumper. Ron Mummert was being a smarty-pants. You own a 96, I own a 92. I've seen 30 + SVXes (most of them '92's) and none with "rubber bits" on the bumpers. The bumpers were identical (in the US) from 92 to 97. The only "rubber bits" I can think of, might be the headlight washers on the European models (which I'd give my left . . . big toe to have).

Meanwhile, let's not let this discussion get out of hand. A person can ask what the market will bear. If the prices that Ron is asking for his cars is not acceptible, then, no one will buy them. If someone does pay the price, and considers he/she's gotten a value for their money, then, you have two happy people. Like I said, I was happy to pay 8,990 for mine, when everyone else, at the time, was paying 6,000. I didn't know any better, so, I thought I had "ripped off" the dealer since the car, in my mind, was worth much more. We live and we learn.

1994SubaruSVX
05-31-2002, 04:06 PM
like randy said, if he is charging too much he will not sell the cars, well at least not to anyone on this site. i like to call myself and educated svx consumer. :)

lakefivehenry
05-31-2002, 09:59 PM
Jason,
Didn't mean to raise your hackles. I simply am writing of somewhat vague generalities about the used car market and what my likes are. I am sure your car is wonderful. I've had some 92s with 90,000 plus miles and they were great too. I haven't had the priviledge of owning a 95 or a 96? And I haven't had one with the middle 50 grand mileage either. I can only sermize that this is indeed the mileage at which these fine autos mature into their finest hour and this has apparently arrived for you. I could give a hoot about whether, that's whether and not the same as weather or possibly wither if one were to confuse middle fingers when typing wether like you typed, the book is black or blue. I'll continue to prefer lower miles to high miles nearly every time around. And that's whether she's a Harley or a horse. Not always mind you. Just usually. Peace in the valley. And I dig the piss out of good literature and the showing of calm and kindness to the world.

wasions
05-31-2002, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by lakefivehenry
Jason,
Didn't mean to raise your hackles. I simply am writing of somewhat vague generalities about the used car market and what my likes are. And etc., and etc., . . .

Ron, Dude! Way to keep your head. I'm proud of ya.

Jason. Step back and look at your posts, man. You might be a little embarrassed. Nobody pointed anything at your head and said that you, or anyone else here, must buy a car from this fellow. Personally, I'm hoping to live to see the day when even a bad example of the SVX goes for five figures.

Everyone else. Be stingy. Hold on to your cars. Don't let them go for what you happened to pay for them. Demand more. We are the lucky owners of the most overlooked car since the . . . (Edsel? - nooo) since the . . . (Avanti? - nooo) since the beginning of time! Besides that, if you sell it, you won't be able to live with yourself. :(

punisher
05-31-2002, 11:23 PM
If someone buys a car for more than double what it's actually worth to the normal consumer, then that's their stupid fault. Can't blame a guy for trying to get as much deniro as he can, no matter how moronic it makes him look. It's capitalism baby, yeah!

And on a personal note, I'd like to take this time to curse out automatic seatbelts. There's a reason cars arent made with that stupid feature anymore.

vkykam
05-31-2002, 11:39 PM
97 Untitled w/2k... Drool...

Maybe the lottery ticket will finally pay off this week... (One can only dream...):rolleyes:

VK
Sigh

lakefivehenry
06-01-2002, 08:26 PM
The reason I think the SVX is worth good money is simply how the car performs and handles compared to anything new that is priced less than $30,000. And for a somewhat long read about why I like the car and place upon it a high value, go to the main forum. Hope you enjoy and don't come back all bent out of shape.

punisher
06-01-2002, 11:39 PM
Dude, first of all...your story is about you nearly colliding with an automobile, avoiding that automobile, and nearly colliding with several others. I would be greatly impressed, if not for the fact that you basically prefaced your story by stating you were most likely doing DOUBLE the posted legal limit at one point. So I'm thinking you're most likely the one who truly caused that accident, which makes me actually hate you.

Second of all...you're comparing the way the SVX drives to a friggin El Camino!!! This makes me hate you even more.

In conclusion, I hate you.

lakefivehenry
06-02-2002, 12:58 PM
punisher,

Your name says it best. Apparently truthfully as well. What I clearly wrote was that my speed was in excess of the 70 mph posted limit. If you are interested, 90 to 95. A driver pulled out in front of me and cut me off from trying to avoid him on his right side. To get around him I had to speed up. This is what I wrote. I wasn't going 140.

You hate way too fast.

Try this:

There is a portion of the public that is the public enemy. They will slip it to anybody they feel like slipping it to at anytime they decide to do take advantage of someone or they do it all the time. They are black in their hearts and in their souls.

In this world there are givers and takers, lovers and haters.

Apparently part of the challenge of this life is coping with the other side. It's got to be hard for devious dark souls to deal with nice people too.

You takers and haters and you with the unkind black heart pumping your blood. Get to learning how to be kind or just go to the gut pile.

lakefivehenry
06-02-2002, 03:37 PM
Sorry about the extra do in the last post. I hate errors in my writing. I give people the benefit of the doubt.

Never2phat
06-02-2002, 04:03 PM
Somewhere out there I'm sure the SVX gods are not happy with this thread.

wasions
06-02-2002, 09:06 PM
Yeah Ron, it's hard not to love a guy like the punisher. Always a kind word - and so humble! It's hard to believe anyone can be so law-abiding and righteous, but there you have it. The proof is in the post, as they say.

We all hope he finds himself a real nice SVX real soon, so he can drive oh-so-safely, and be a true example of patience with other drivers, and exhibit tons and tons of self-control. After all, we need someone we can raise up as a genuine icon of virtue and sound living.

punisher, are you going to make it to the 10th? I just have to meet you.

Have a really happy day! :)

(SVX gods? - By the looks of most of the posts, I would've thought they were demons. :D )

Ron Mummert
06-02-2002, 10:32 PM
Originally posted by Never2phat
Somewhere out there I'm sure the SVX gods are not happy with this thread.

Brian, I must agree. This thread makes India & Pakistan look like two countries "annoyed" with each other.
I gotta go take a shower.

Ron i

1994SubaruSVX
06-03-2002, 08:09 AM
i know ron is a little off base but dude take your prozac and ride this one out....:)

Aredubjay
06-03-2002, 02:02 PM
If you don't want the animals hanging 'round, don't feed them.

lakefivehenry
06-06-2002, 08:19 PM
Sorry for upsetting the tranquility. I was just pointing out the poor judgement of somebody hating without adequate reason. Different opinions and controversy and even hatred will remain until enough light is focused on the situation that ideas are changed and reason prevails. Thought provoking content is more interesting than pablum.

Nice site about a nice car. One day, just as a low mileage classic Triumph, Chev or Bentley, etc. draws the higher price, the same will hold true for the featured car of this site. And I think the first year of production will easily fetch the price of a later model. And if I never sell another SVX, it gives me more years to enjoy the ride.

Enough said.