PDA

View Full Version : 5-speed vs. auto

SVX Maxximus
10-08-2007, 11:43 PM
I was very excited to do a 5-speed manual transmission swap in my SVX until I read that the 5-speed cannot handle the added power from a Stage III kit.:( I understand that ECUtune has a "built-up" 4EAT auto transmission which should be able to easily handle the added power... but my question is this: Is there an "affordable" way to "beef-up" the 5-speed manual to be able to handle the added power from the Stage III, or is the ECUtune 4EAT my only option for a reliable tranny? Also, what is different about the 6-speed vs. the other 2 options?

porschekiller
10-09-2007, 07:50 PM
tomssvx knows everything. there's a rare sti 5sp available for under a grand and i know where a $2400 6sp is. if you're gonna stay auto you might as well save some weight with fwd only and 245/45-17 front tires and 205/55-17 rear tires for balance. the awd has the weight distribution of fwd anyway.

porschekiller
10-09-2007, 07:51 PM
the fwd auto can be had with 4.44 gears as well as the '04-'06 forester xt turbo 5sp.

Crazy_pilot
10-09-2007, 08:00 PM
tomssvx knows everything. there's a rare sti 5sp available for under a grand and i know where a $2400 6sp is. if you're gonna stay auto you might as well save some weight with fwd only and 245/45-17 front tires and 205/55-17 rear tires for balance. the awd has the weight distribution of fwd anyway.

He's talking about doing some power mods. Using a FWD trans would be a waste of time, all he'd be able to do is burnouts. Any sort of acceleration would just go up in smoke without AWD traction.

Crazy_pilot
10-09-2007, 08:07 PM
I was very excited to do a 5-speed manual transmission swap in my SVX until I read that the 5-speed cannot handle the added power from a Stage III kit.:( I understand that ECUtune has a "built-up" 4EAT auto transmission which should be able to easily handle the added power... but my question is this: Is there an "affordable" way to "beef-up" the 5-speed manual to be able to handle the added power from the Stage III, or is the ECUtune 4EAT my only option for a reliable tranny? Also, what is different about the 6-speed vs. the other 2 options?

The 5MT can be beefed up using STi gears. I don't know much about it, but I'm sure someone will cime in here to tell you. The ECUTune 4EAT is probably your overall cheapest route for a transmission that can handle big power. All you need is the trans, you keep/re-use all of your other old stuff, unless you get a different ratio trans, then you need a new rear diff. I don't think you'll have much luck getting a stage III kit. I've read LAN isn't making any more.

Speedklix
10-09-2007, 08:14 PM
Using a FWD trans would be a waste of time, all he'd be able to do is burnouts.

The first Stage III built had a FWD for less than 10 seconds of driving didn't it :lol:

Crazy_pilot
10-09-2007, 08:25 PM
The first Stage III built had a FWD for less than 10 seconds of driving didn't it :lol:

See? They learned pretty quick!

It's Just Eric
10-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Yep...That thing didn't last.

So to answer your question: the stock auto cant handle the power either...So your either goin to have to do a performance auto build, a performances 5 speed build, or get a 6 speed.

The auto would alow you to retain that luxury car feel...but what fun is a supercharged beast if you arent doing the shifting yourself?

The built 5 speed would probly cost some money, but it'd be the lightst, and gear ratio-wise, it'd be the best for the eg33's long tourque curve

the 6 speed is good because it can handle like a bazillion horsepower without turning itself into molten lava. and it has SIX speeds...Thats 1 faster than the 5 speed. Buuuuut, the thing's short gears mean the engine likes to rev high..which puts it PERFECTLY where the turbo 4 banger makes the most power, but the rpm range where our car's engines can't keep up. that, and its as heavy as the auto, and you'll row through gears like your in a racing canoe.
there was a good thread that discussed Tom's older 1/4 mile times being ..well, a little slower than most would expect, and the cause likely being the 6 speed.But of course, he has since done a full engine build among other things, and Im quite sure that whole discussion is relatively irrelevant. Besides, I have no room to talk, as my car is slow

So, I hope that helped. my personal advice; go with a built 5 speed, or the 6 speed if you plan on doing some serious engine retunng, or if the stage 3 isnt available to you and you decide to take a turbo route instead

porschekiller
10-10-2007, 08:49 AM
you definately want awd and a 6sp. i had found a 6sp for $2,400 from becky@qualityautoparts.com ref# unp4401702 phone 251 662 4970 in AL, but i don't need it now. rebulid a trans costs as much as a new one. tomssvx, svxspeedshop@gmail.com is the trans expert.

TomsSVX
10-11-2007, 03:29 PM
an 04+ wrx 5mt should hold the power of a stage 3 on 9psi with a stock motor... It would haul ass and the shifting wouldn't be too irate... I knew I was going to make BIG power with my silver and thats why I chose to go with the 6mt. Either way it really just comes down to what you want... An R/A 5mt (big money) will hold the power even better than the 04+wrx trans BUT those tiny 1st and 2nd gears like top sheer off with a lot of low end torque (what a S/C EG33 has)

Tom

Myxalplyx
10-11-2007, 08:34 PM
Let us not forget Mr. PoweredX2 who ran nitrous on his FWD auto and achieved low 13 second 1/4 mile success. Pushing the SVX into the low 13's with trap speeds in the 100's (Was it in the 108-109mph ranges?) should account for something. I followed his success/failures on and off. I wish to follow in his path somewhat.

TomsSVX
10-11-2007, 08:40 PM
Kevin, thats what a 125 shot of nitrous with drag slicks will do. lets not forget the axles he broke doing it too:) Poweredx2 really raised the bar but I look to put it higher in my endevours.... motor should be broken in come next week.... Thursday I am looking to make a trip to Atco to give the old girl her christening:D

Tom

Tim
10-11-2007, 08:48 PM
Kevin, thats what a 125 shot of nitrous with drag slicks will do. lets not forget the axles he broke doing it too:) Poweredx2 really raised the bar but I look to put it higher in my endevours.... motor should be broken in come next week.... Thursday I am looking to make a trip to Atco to give the old girl her christening:D
Tom

You should have her sing at Raceway park so I can film it :D

Myxalplyx
10-11-2007, 08:55 PM

Tom

Pending school (I have class Thursday nights), I will be there. I have to see history in the making. :p

TomsSVX
10-11-2007, 09:22 PM
well its still a big maybe... I have A LOT of work to be done before I can take a night off

Tom

jeffs92svx
11-06-2010, 05:07 AM
So, did it make it to the track tom? Would love to here the results.

svxfiles
11-06-2010, 06:33 AM
So, did it make it to the track tom? Would love to here the results.

As I remember 12.9xx at 106.

jeffs92svx
11-07-2010, 06:41 PM
nice!! Gives me something to look forward to.