PDA

View Full Version : Autocross today

wawazat??
10-07-2007, 08:04 PM
Took second in STX...out of 3:( I was beaten handily by a 2004 WRX with an impressive mod list and a very good driver. I did however beat up on a Volvo 850...non-turbo:rolleyes::lol: also in STX.

Not my best performance of the year, but my runs were very consistent just not as fast as I would have liked. I did beat a good friends STU Evolution MR by a a good margin and that made it all worth while. He actualy offered me a co-drive for the event but I declined as I don't need to be longing for yet another car:rolleyes:

I'm also at a crossroads again with the SVX in terms of it's performance, or rather lack thereof, in the autocross world. Weighing in at 3478 plus driver (those that have met me probably wouldn't use the word petite when describing me:lol:) puts me well out of the capability with this platform in STX. I don't know if going back to GS to be beaten up by Mini's would help. This leaves taking it up to SM or above. Street Mod around these parts is ruled by 400+HP Evo's with more money in their carbon fiber body panels than I have in my entire car. I know I need to enhance HP-weight ratio but I'm very pleased with the NA throttle response of the EG33. I don't know if I can change this ratio enough to cut 4-6 seconds out of every run.
I may take the Legacy out and see how I like that to help me determine my next step.

Just venting to you all.

Todd

ensteele
10-07-2007, 08:10 PM
It sounds like you did ok even if you were not satisfied with your showing. :)

SVXRide
10-07-2007, 08:23 PM
time to move to ESP and get some more power out of the EG33;) At least in ESP you'll be running against cars ~ the same weight and wheelbase....okay, so they might have a few hp on yah....
-Bill

immortal_suby
10-07-2007, 09:24 PM
Todd, whether you win or lose at the track, just remind them that the svx is 10x more of a chick magnet than a 4 door grocery getter with a turbine ;)

newsvx
10-08-2007, 01:45 PM
Todd,
You are doing great! And the MAJOR thing is that you are having FUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:tongue::tongue::D:D

wawazat??
10-08-2007, 03:54 PM
:)

Earl, I did well I just want to win:)

Bill-I'll look in to ESP rules, recent times and my competition around here. May be a fit for my lifelong project 5 speed:D

Matt-while your words are very true, chicks dig me...or maybe it really is the car:lol: Besides, my trophy wife has one of those four door grocery getters with the turbine, kinda like your trophy wife! I'll probably just beat that one up at a future autocross to see how it feels.

Harry-fun with no monthly costs associated other than insurance is a strong consolation these days. Thanks.

Todd

porschekiller
10-08-2007, 06:23 PM
are you really doing autocross with an auto? lol! this will give you an edge: 245/45-17front and 205/55-17 rear or 245/50-16 front and 205/60-16 rear. thank me when you win.:lol:

newsvx
10-08-2007, 06:35 PM
are you really doing autocross with an auto? lol! this will give you an edge: 245/45-17front and 205/55-17 rear or 245/50-16 front and 205/60-16 rear. thank me when you win.:lol:

Hey Killer,
I love the SVX in autocross WITH an automatic. Just put it in "1" and leave it!! If the rev's get too high, it bumps up to second, and then will "down shift" back to 1st if you "play with the gas a bit ..:D

Harry

porschekiller
10-08-2007, 06:58 PM
i'm a purist, i can't wait to autocross with 4.11 gears and an ra 5sp with 245/50-16 fronts

wawazat??
10-08-2007, 07:29 PM

Yes I am. I appreciate your advice but I'll balance the traction of my same sized tires (245/40-17 Bridgestone RE-01r) with pressure and suspension tuning. I doubt that tire size swaps will help me with a 3-4 second deficit in my class (STX) and as I just bought these tires, I won't be buying any more in the near future.

What type of autocross experience do you have with what types of vehicles? Have you autocrossed your SVX? Just curious as to who/how/what type of experience you have. Lots of free information available on the intraweb and you typically get what you pay for.;):)

Todd

It's Just Eric
10-08-2007, 07:38 PM
Though your tire size suggestions may be on the right track, there is one problem: The svx's transfer clutches will fail in a spectacular way if you run diffrent rolling circumfrences front and rear

wawazat??
10-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Looking for your opinions guys. Tomorrow is an autocross event outside of my normal region which ended it's season last weekend. I've got a vehicle option in the Legacy spec.B (translation for Benebob, the AWD, 6 speed Camry)and am considering driving it instead of the X. Both STX (where I run the SVX) and D Stock (where I'd run the Legacy) are each only occupied by one Subaru other than me (worst I can do is second:lol:).

Your thoughts???

benebob
10-13-2007, 09:41 AM
Looking for your opinions guys. Tomorrow is an autocross event outside of my normal region which ended it's season last weekend. I've got a vehicle option in the Legacy spec.B (translation for Benebob, the AWD, 6 speed Camry)and am considering driving it instead of the X. Both STX (where I run the SVX) and D Stock (where I'd run the Legacy) are each only occupied by one Subaru other than me (worst I can do is second:lol:).

Your thoughts???

Drive the Mazdaru! Maybe you'll blow the POS up and then there will be one less I have to:barf: at when I see it!

FYI it was the 1st gen Impreza that was a dead ringer for the Camry. Get you Universal Japanese Automobiles right or I'll start calling you Chad again!:D

wawazat??
10-13-2007, 05:19 PM
OK, me and my Mazda :rolleyes: will be autocrossing tomorrow. I'm gonna see how much different the manual trans realy makes, that and more power:)

By a vote of one, the SVX stays home.

benebob
10-13-2007, 05:48 PM
OK, me and my Mazda :rolleyes: will be autocrossing tomorrow. I'm gonna see how much different the manual trans realy makes, that and more power:)

By a vote of one, the SVX stays home.

Good luck, me guessing you'll have some manual tranny issues. I know I would going from a life of auto autoxing. Keep it away from walls!

TomsSVX
10-14-2007, 12:15 AM
what he said!!! watch the back end it'll come around in a hurry:eek:

Tom

porschekiller
10-14-2007, 12:50 PM
i never did autocross. i prefer roadracing, especially at limerock and watkins glen. have you ever noticed the oe svx tire pressures are 33 front and 29 rear to compensate for the low cost imbalance? a comparable overengineered 3000gt vr4 has 245/45-17 fronts, the same as the lotus esprit v8 rears. isnt precedent a wonderful thing? it keeps bad history from repeating itself. your welcome.Yes I am. I appreciate your advice but I'll balance the traction of my same sized tires (245/40-17 Bridgestone RE-01r) with pressure and suspension tuning. I doubt that tire size swaps will help me with a 3-4 second deficit in my class (STX) and as I just bought these tires, I won't be buying any more in the near future.

What type of autocross experience do you have with what types of vehicles? Have you autocrossed your SVX? Just curious as to who/how/what type of experience you have. Lots of free information available on the intraweb and you typically get what you pay for.;):)

Todd

Evil One
10-14-2007, 01:27 PM
a comparable overengineered 3000gt vr4 has 245/45-17 fronts, the same as the lotus esprit v8 rears.It also has the 245/45-17s on the rear of the 3000GT VR4.

Jim

wawazat??
10-14-2007, 03:46 PM
Well, that was different. Took third in DS versus a two driver WRX and a Crossfire (4 total entries). One upshift to second and the rest of the course was in second (damn, I paid for 6 gears and only got to use two today :lol:). After many many laps in the SVX on coilovers, this car wallows like a pig. My hats off to you stock guys:)

Rear end stayed relatively planted. Turbo power was nice. Car transitioned pretty well for a stock heavy sedan. Probably won't do that again though as I have more fun in the SVX with the NA powerband. Ben, sorry to report she didn't blow up:p

That, radio fans, ends the MI autocross season. Now to the batcave for mods for next year.

Todd

wawazat??
10-14-2007, 03:49 PM
i never did autocross. i prefer roadracing, especially at limerock and watkins glen. have you ever noticed the oe svx tire pressures are 33 front and 29 rear to compensate for the low cost imbalance? a comparable overengineered 3000gt vr4 has 245/45-17 fronts, the same as the lotus esprit v8 rears. isnt precedent a wonderful thing? it keeps bad history from repeating itself. your welcome.

For what am I welcome, more obscure tire size references :confused: What does low-cost imbalance mean? And yes, I have noticed the recommended tire pressures are different front to rear. So what?

porschekiller
10-14-2007, 05:30 PM
yes indeed, because the engineers werent so bold as to use a smaller sizes in the rear, but the gm engineers were on the '08 monte carlo ss: 255 front 235 rear. it's all weights and measures. the svx is basically a backwards porsche dynamically and should've been engineered as a rwd rx7 beater. perfect balance would be achieved with 245/45-17 front w/ vr4 tire pressure and 205/55-17 rear (same height) w/ cayman tire pressure. then maybe the auto wouldnt shift into second.It also has the 245/45-17s on the rear of the 3000GT VR4.

Jim

Evil One
10-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Are we forgetting the whole "AWD with diff circumference tires eats the drivetrain" part of the equation?
Do you know how many different manufacturers tires you would have to go thru to actually get the same circumference?

Jim

porschekiller
10-14-2007, 05:47 PM
you get diff circ with diff tire pressure. tirerack.com has specs on all there tires to click on. 205/55-17 has the same circ as 245/45-17. you could always have them shave them if you wanna be precise, but dont forget to run the same pressure too. Are we forgetting the whole "AWD with diff circumference tires eats the drivetrain" part of the equation?
Do you know how many different manufacturers tires you would have to go thru to actually get the same circumference?

Jim

benebob
10-14-2007, 07:49 PM
;)Are we forgetting the whole "AWD with diff circumference tires eats the drivetrain" part of the equation?

Jim

I'm sure that would've killed Subaru with tranny replacements (although I think he's wishing the SVX was rwd but rwd with 205s back there?) We do 23x10 hoosier slick burn outs from a start with all 4 tires driving!:D What he says makes so sense but as you pointed out you run into that issues plus then you add on no tire rotation to the mix and trannies dying weekly!:eek:

Oh and sorry to hear you didn't blow your Mazda up Todd, its always nice to return to the basics isn't it. Did you order a new suspension for it yet?

It's Just Eric
10-14-2007, 09:14 PM
But see...here's the problem.You are coming into a group of people who have seat time in the svx. You have never raced an svx, and have never done an autocross...
From what gather,all obscure tire sizes and weight measurment aside, is that your suggestions are basically to increase the height of the sidewall, increase front width, and make the rears more narrow. Now, I understand the idea that you need to balance the car out tractionwise, but your suggestions seem a little off to me. Apparently there's a link between the weight over the wheels and the height of the sidewall...but whatever effect it has on the overall handeling is being lost in jargon.

Possibly, if you could explain the physics or motives behind making the suggested changes, as applicable to the svx in an autocross or similar track environment, it would shed some light on the information you're trying to provide

And..I think wawazat is taklking about two cars here? Im guessing a legacy as well? Lol, aint no turbo 4 door svxi, thats for sure

porschekiller
10-15-2007, 04:19 AM
i think the fastest SVX here has already done that. pay attention: 275/45-16. not the height of the sidewall, the height of the tire! ideally the sidewall shouldnt be under 235/40 or over 235/50 on any wheel.But see...here's the problem.You are coming into a group of people who have seat time in the svx. You have never raced an svx, and have never done an autocross...
From what gather,all obscure tire sizes and weight measurment aside, is that your suggestions are basically to increase the height of the sidewall, increase front width, and make the rears more narrow. Now, I understand the idea that you need to balance the car out tractionwise, but your suggestions seem a little off to me. Apparently there's a link between the weight over the wheels and the height of the sidewall...but whatever effect it has on the overall handeling is being lost in jargon.

Possibly, if you could explain the physics or motives behind making the suggested changes, as applicable to the svx in an autocross or similar track environment, it would shed some light on the information you're trying to provide

And..I think wawazat is taklking about two cars here? Im guessing a legacy as well? Lol, aint no turbo 4 door svxi, thats for sure

wawazat??
10-15-2007, 04:39 AM
I now use 245/40-17 tires on my SVX and they work very well plus are the widest tires allowed in my class. I have used 225/45-17 and 235/40-17 as well as 225/50-16 to autocross.

porschekiller
10-15-2007, 04:49 AM
the 245/40-17 is oe on the back of an NSX and the front of a ferrari F40, but the NSX is alot lighter than the svx. i liked the 245/50ZR16 on my car with enkeis, they fill the fender gap with no rubbing. i'm waiting to see if i can get away with a 255/50WR16s. the big tires and an awd allow me to get away with using all temp all season tires with long tread wear and a comfortable ride: $87 Falken Ziex 512.I now use 245/40-17 tires on my SVX and they work very well plus are the widest tires allowed in my class. I have used 225/45-17 and 235/40-17 as well as 225/50-16 to autocross.

porschekiller
10-15-2007, 05:23 AM
if you wanna use the same size tires on 17" wheels then 235/50-17 off the new cayman would be ideal and they would look better without the fender gap. the new 235/50zr17 falken ziex ze912 $88 at tires-easy.com.I now use 245/40-17 tires on my SVX and they work very well plus are the widest tires allowed in my class. I have used 225/45-17 and 235/40-17 as well as 225/50-16 to autocross.

benebob
10-15-2007, 07:03 AM
i think the fastest SVX here has already done that. pay attention: 275/45-16. not the height of the sidewall, the height of the tire! ideally the sidewall shouldnt be under 235/40 or over 235/50 on any wheel.

Naw, the fastest track SVX uses 23x10 Bias Ply Hoosiers. 22.5 inches in overall height baby! Sidewall. Yeah it does have a little.:D

wawazat??
10-15-2007, 08:17 AM
if you wanna use the same size tires on 17" wheels then 235/50-17 off the new cayman would be ideal and they would look better without the fender gap. the new 235/50zr17 falken ziex ze912 $88 at tires-easy.com.

Please stop with the tire size recommendations for me OK? You've not seen my car (I have a lowered coilover suspension), you have never autocrossed, the Porsche tires are irrelevant, and the Falken's you mentioned have one only one thing going for them-they're cheap. Falken does make some good autocross tires, but the Ziex is not the tire. I have two sets of summer UHP tires and a set of all-seasons for this winter already. No more tires are needed.

kthxby,
Todd

sicksubie
10-15-2007, 09:22 AM
Please stop with the tire size recommendations for me OK? You've not seen my car (I have a lowered coilover suspension), you have never autocrossed, the Porsche tires are irrelevant, and the Falken's you mentioned have one only one thing going for them-they're cheap. Falken does make some good autocross tires, but the Ziex is not the tire. I have two sets of summer UHP tires and a set of all-seasons for this winter already. No more tires are needed.

kthxby,
Todd

Ditto.... get some experience and stop with the F40 comparisons... I have bridgestone 225/45/17 on my STi rims and with a shot rear suspension I have thrown it around a little while breaking in the built motor and blower. For street tires they are great. Nice stiff sidewall and decent grip. I am getting a set of 255/40/17 Falken Azenis RT615's for street tires. Those should be about as big/wide as anything that ANYONE needs. If there is anyone on here that should be offering tire advice it is the guys that are racing frequently (benebob, hocrest, shotgunslade, svxride and forgive me if I forget anyone) and guys who are starting to make nice power, (Tomssvx, svxfiles, LAN, I won't count myself because I have not had the experience yet to make a lot of recommendations)

benebob
10-15-2007, 09:36 AM
I am getting a set of 255/40/17 Falken Azenis RT615's for street tires. Those should be about as big/wide as anything that ANYONE needs.

Too small brother, too small, actually I now think our 23x10s are too small. The 23x12s with a 14inch turning footprint would be so much nicer:D Only time you can really have too much tire is in the rain and snow.;)

That said, the 255 azenis should do nicely although they've become a little pricey these days. Might want to look at the Nitto comparable tire as well from what I've read it matches up pretty well with the Azenis. Wish they still sold the 215 personally!:D

TomsSVX
10-15-2007, 09:38 AM
nitto 555's are a very good tire... brother mans just got s set of 275's rear and 245 front for the Z. On a more on topic note, Sicksubie is getting those tires for a well..... sicksubie deal so.... thats all i have to say

Tom

porschekiller
10-15-2007, 02:49 PM
i'm going to ask tom to take my car to an event with the stock suspension and all season tires to show you all how much time you've wasted.:lol:Ditto.... get some experience and stop with the F40 comparisons... I have bridgestone 225/45/17 on my STi rims and with a shot rear suspension I have thrown it around a little while breaking in the built motor and blower. For street tires they are great. Nice stiff sidewall and decent grip. I am getting a set of 255/40/17 Falken Azenis RT615's for street tires. Those should be about as big/wide as anything that ANYONE needs. If there is anyone on here that should be offering tire advice it is the guys that are racing frequently (benebob, hocrest, shotgunslade, svxride and forgive me if I forget anyone) and guys who are starting to make nice power, (Tomssvx, svxfiles, LAN, I won't count myself because I have not had the experience yet to make a lot of recommendations)

porschekiller
10-15-2007, 02:50 PM
isnt that for drag racing?:confused:Naw, the fastest track SVX uses 23x10 Bias Ply Hoosiers. 22.5 inches in overall height baby! Sidewall. Yeah it does have a little.:D

benebob
10-15-2007, 02:52 PM
isnt that for drag racing?:confused:

Road racing, hill climbing and autoxing and we can still break all four loose after warming 'em up, with a 4.11 auto and a stock SVX engine in there.:lol:

TomsSVX
10-15-2007, 03:23 PM
i'm going to ask tom to take my car to an event with the stock suspension and all season tires to show you all how much time you've wasted.:lol:

You do know that I will not put unequal tires on your car right? Literally, I refuse to do it unless they are measured to be the exact same rolling diameter. I don't need to be replacing a center diff anytime soon

Tom

wawazat??
10-15-2007, 03:55 PM
Tom, remember the magic phrase!

wawazat??
10-15-2007, 03:59 PM
i'm going to ask tom to take my car to an event with the stock suspension and all season tires to show you all how much time you've wasted.:lol:

Tom, you've now been elevated to the rank of Professional Driver. Question for you though. How do you feel about all the money and time you've "wasted" on YOUR suspension, you know the coilovers you installed, now that Porschekiller's car will whip all of our, and your, modded cars?

It's Just Eric
10-15-2007, 04:05 PM
I think if ANYONE would be able to chime in with usefull info here, it'd be jerry or harry. I think theese guys have been autocrossing since before some members here could drive

TomsSVX
10-15-2007, 04:12 PM
I think if ANYONE would be able to chime in with usefull info here, it'd be jerry or harry. I think theese guys have been autocrossing since before some members here could drive

I am getting better!!!!:p

Tom

sicksubie
10-15-2007, 05:22 PM
nitto 555's are a very good tire... brother mans just got s set of 275's rear and 245 front for the Z. On a more on topic note, Sicksubie is getting those tires for a well..... sicksubie deal so.... thats all i have to say

Tom

LOL..... They actually didnt end up being TOTALLY free. I am getting them in exchange for a few STi parts that I have laying around.

porschekiller
10-15-2007, 05:22 PM
i prefer looks over performance: either 255 or 245/50-16s on all 4 with 16x7.5 enkei'sYou do know that I will not put unequal tires on your car right? Literally, I refuse to do it unless they are measured to be the exact same rolling diameter. I don't need to be replacing a center diff anytime soon

Tom

TomsSVX
10-15-2007, 05:26 PM
you can chose whatever tire size you want. As long as they are the same on all 4 corners;)

Tom

sicksubie
10-15-2007, 05:28 PM
Tom, you've now been elevated to the rank of Professional Driver. Question for you though. How do you feel about all the money and time you've "wasted" on YOUR suspension, you know the coilovers you installed, now that Porschekiller's car will whip all of our, and your, modded cars?

I personally am crushed to know that all it would have taken is a 4.44 5 spd and asking Pkiller's advice on tires to woop on ya'll in an auto-x. Crud does LAN take returns on Stage III's? Tom I guess I won't ask you to build me coilovers this winter, and I guess I will just throw my 07 STi 6 spd in the trash. I dont want too much weight hanging over my front end after all.:tard:

On second thought maybe I will just keep pushing for 350+whp, try to shave weight, and run my 255's:D

porschekiller
10-15-2007, 05:36 PM
:lol: in physics, less is more!I personally am crushed to know that all it would have taken is a 4.44 5 spd and asking Pkiller's advice on tires to woop on ya'll in an auto-x. Crud does LAN take returns on Stage III's? Tom I guess I won't ask you to build me coilovers this winter, and I guess I will just throw my 07 STi 6 spd in the trash. I dont want too much weight hanging over my front end after all.:tard:

On second thought maybe I will just keep pushing for 350+whp, try to shave weight, and run my 255's:D

porschekiller
10-15-2007, 05:41 PM
the single biggest improvement in handling is bigger sway bars.Tom, you've now been elevated to the rank of Professional Driver. Question for you though. How do you feel about all the money and time you've "wasted" on YOUR suspension, you know the coilovers you installed, now that Porschekiller's car will whip all of our, and your, modded cars?

benebob
10-15-2007, 05:43 PM
the single biggest improvement in handling is bigger sway bars.

Actually, ours does better or at least just as good without the front bar attached.;)

TomsSVX
10-15-2007, 05:43 PM
the single biggest improvement in handling is bigger sway bars.

also the single most unavailable upgrade to the SVX without having a one-off

Tom

Evil One
10-15-2007, 05:44 PM
Less front bar will give it more front grip... more rear will give it less grip and make the understeering car more likely to want to rotate for you.

Jim

TomsSVX
10-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Less front bar will give it more front grip... more rear will give it less grip and make the understeering car more likely to want to rotate for you.

Jim

SSHHHHH don't tell Bill, he might learn something about that humongo bar he has in the front... and he is still slow on 275s:rolleyes::rolleyes::lol:

Tom

benebob
10-15-2007, 05:47 PM

Jim

Ding, ding, ding. You win the prize. Which door will you choose!:D

porschekiller
10-15-2007, 05:48 PM
looks like i really do have something no one else has. muawhahahahaha! my friends dont call me dr. evil for nothing.also the single most unavailable upgrade to the SVX without having a one-off

Tom

benebob
10-15-2007, 05:51 PM
looks like i really do have something no one else has. muawhahahahaha! my friends dont call me dr. evil for nothing.

Just what I'd want, a larger front sway bar so I can understeer even more! muawhahahahahaha!

porschekiller
10-15-2007, 05:54 PM
you need to complete the equation.Just what I'd want, a larger front sway bar so I can understeer even more! muawhahahahahaha!

Evil One
10-15-2007, 05:56 PM
*sigh*

Jim

benebob
10-15-2007, 05:57 PM
you need to complete the equation.

Okay, just what an I'd want two larger bars so I can understeer exactly the same, only less predictably. Makes for a great race car! Are you living beside a meth lab with shared ventilation btw?

porschekiller
10-15-2007, 06:03 PM
who said anything about 2 bars? disconnecting your front bar is only transfering the weight to the rear to help balance in a backwards way. i eliminate understeer with the proper size tire and then take advantage of the benefits of having a bigger sway bar no one has obviously experienced.Okay, just what an I'd want two larger bars so I can understeer exactly the e same, only less predictably. Makes for a great race car! Are you living beside a meth lab with shared ventilation btw?

TomsSVX
10-15-2007, 06:06 PM
disconnecting the front bar with a stock suspension is like shooting yourself in the foot. To be honest Nate, i would suggest getting some seat time as is after I am done with the car and then deciding what to do that will help you more. right now it is all perspective

Tom

benebob
10-15-2007, 06:07 PM
who said anything about 2 bars? disconnecting your front bar is only transfering the weight to the rear to help balance in a backwards way. i eliminate understeer with the proper size tire and then take advantage of the benefits of having a bigger sway bar no one has obviously experienced.

Again I already posted the problem with tire size. I can spin through 1st and into 2nd with properly warmed up slicks that are putting down 50 inches of rubber. Yeah, going with say your proposed 35 will let me spin through 3rd as well. Makes for a very bad day for tires and times. Inhale some more toxins there my friend. There are a number of members who have made larger bars. Use the search button above!

benebob
10-15-2007, 06:09 PM
disconnecting the front bar with a stock suspension is like shooting yourself in the foot. To be honest Nate, i would suggest getting some seat time as is after I am done with the car and then deciding what to do that will help you more. right now it is all perspective

Tom

Naw, its actually quite fun, especially when you don't take it off, just disconnect a side.:D

sicksubie
10-15-2007, 06:28 PM
This thread is hilarious... I am going to disconnect my sway bar, heck remove it... Put in solid steel pipes instead of struts, and......... nvm I got nothing

benebob
10-15-2007, 06:30 PM
This thread is hilarious... I am going to disconnect my sway bar, heck remove it... Put in solid steel pipes instead of struts, and......... nvm I got nothing

It'd be cheaper to build a locost 7.

Hocrest
10-15-2007, 06:31 PM

Can you come up with 3 more donut spares??

TomsSVX
10-15-2007, 06:32 PM
hahahahaha

Tom

svxistentialist
10-15-2007, 06:37 PM
It'd be cheaper to build a locost 7.

Probably right Dave.

There are swarms of them in England.

Joe:rolleyes::D

sicksubie
10-15-2007, 06:38 PM
That would be the set up. Solid struts, no front sways, run on 4 donuts, SS rear bushings, weld my ball joints, and remove thr front brakes for better weight balance. That way I have the same front end weight as a Honda Accord and the same low cost imbalance as a Tiburon.

svxistentialist
10-15-2007, 06:38 PM
Can you come up with 3 more donut spares??

You want the police on yore tail, boy??

:lol:

TomsSVX
10-15-2007, 06:41 PM
I wouldn't mind racing on donuts just for ****s and giggles:lol:

Tom

sicksubie
10-15-2007, 06:46 PM
You want the police on yore tail, boy??

On my tail? The car would be sitting on it's belly with smiling cops standing around.

svxistentialist
10-15-2007, 06:46 PM
I wouldn't mind racing on donuts just for ****s and giggles:lol:

Tom

Me too!:)

I'm actually convinced the SVX would handle in deep snow, using four donuts.

I have two donuts. The only thing we don't got in Ireland is snow.

[St Patrick might have banned it with the snakes]

:rolleyes::D

svxistentialist
10-15-2007, 06:47 PM
On my tail? The car would be sitting on it's belly with smiling cops standing around.

On the roof, more like!!

SVXRide
10-15-2007, 08:04 PM
also the single most unavailable upgrade to the SVX without having a one-off

Tom

exactly...
-Bill (trying really, really hard not to get drawn into this goat rope...:rolleyes:)

porschekiller
10-16-2007, 04:04 AM
i was elaborating on someone's idea the car handles better without a sway bar. notice i said backwards idea.disconnecting the front bar with a stock suspension is like shooting yourself in the foot. To be honest Nate, i would suggest getting some seat time as is after I am done with the car and then deciding what to do that will help you more. right now it is all perspective

Tom

porschekiller
10-16-2007, 04:08 AM
talk about backwardsDing, ding, ding. You win the prize. Which door will you choose!:D

benebob
10-16-2007, 06:34 AM
talk about backwards

Talk about someone who hasn't tried it. Sure theres downsides to it and I wouldn't do it on a porker such as everyone elses but it didn't effect the XT6 in a bad way when I sheared mine autoxing either.

If you want to arm chair race that's fine but leave the real adjustments to those who actually have raced the thing. Still waiting for your answer on how my tires are gonna grip better with 1/3 less traction. Oh right you can't answer that one!:D

wawazat??
10-16-2007, 07:48 AM
Ben,
It's obvious from his posts that he has no autocross experience and has admitted as much. He said he prefers track days. Not sure how many of those he has done and in what type of car however. Seems to be as you stated, more of an armchair racer to me.

Tim
10-16-2007, 07:48 AM
This thread has taken an interesting turn. :domo::domo::domo:

wawazat??
10-16-2007, 07:56 AM
Nice turn of a phrase Tim...pun intended:)

Nowhere on this forum to actually discuss racing, autocross, rallycross, tack days and such. I'm fine with a meandering thread that has wandered off topic. Intresting responses don't you think? :rolleyes::):lol:

I'm glad some here have taken there cars out to guage their performance. I want to do a track day but cannot seem to mesh my own internal dilemma by taking an automatic trans car to an open track session. I wish more of you were around here. I spend too much time with the Impreza guys and there fast but not particularly attractive cars with the world of available bolt on mods ready to be ordered and popped on :(

Todd

benebob
10-16-2007, 08:44 AM
I want to do a track day but cannot seem to mesh my own internal dilemma by taking an automatic trans car to an open track session.
Todd

Scare-D-Chad? YT makes a wonderful kit that would solve that. Just send that low mileage auto my way!:D

porschekiller
10-16-2007, 09:15 AM
assume= makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me":bash:Talk about someone who hasn't tried it. Sure theres downsides to it and I wouldn't do it on a porker such as everyone elses but it didn't effect the XT6 in a bad way when I sheared mine autoxing either.

If you want to arm chair race that's fine but leave the real adjustments to those who actually have raced the thing. Still waiting for your answer on how my tires are gonna grip better with 1/3 less traction. Oh right you can't answer that one!:D

TomsSVX
10-16-2007, 10:01 AM
Beginning of next season I would love to establish a track day meet. Pocono would be my choice as it is closer but I have heard other tracks ahve much more fun and itneresting courses

Tom

Nice turn of a phrase Tim...pun intended:)

Nowhere on this forum to actually discuss racing, autocross, rallycross, tack days and such. I'm fine with a meandering thread that has wandered off topic. Intresting responses don't you think? :rolleyes::):lol:

I'm glad some here have taken there cars out to guage their performance. I want to do a track day but cannot seem to mesh my own internal dilemma by taking an automatic trans car to an open track session. I wish more of you were around here. I spend too much time with the Impreza guys and there fast but not particularly attractive cars with the world of available bolt on mods ready to be ordered and popped on :(

Todd

Tim
10-16-2007, 10:21 AM
Beginning of next season I would love to establish a track day meet. Pocono would be my choice as it is closer but I have heard other tracks ahve much more fun and itneresting courses

Tom

I would totally represent the 4eat crowd, although I may get lapped hehe

sicksubie
10-16-2007, 06:23 PM
Talk about someone who hasn't tried it. Sure theres downsides to it and I wouldn't do it on a porker such as everyone elses but it didn't effect the XT6 in a bad way when I sheared mine autoxing either.

Nope he can't.....

Evil One
10-16-2007, 06:25 PM
But the ultrablast 5000 uses X tires and it has 8,000 hp... it will be fine for your car. But only on the front. Your back weighs the same as a yugo... so go for 155-80-13s there.

Jim

shotking
10-16-2007, 06:32 PM
But the ultrablast 5000 uses X tires and it has 8,000 hp... it will be fine for your car. But only on the front. Your back weighs the same as a yugo... so go for 155-80-13s there.

Jim

I have nothing useful to add to this thread but this post killed me:lol::lol::lol:

svxistentialist
10-16-2007, 06:32 PM
Give him a break fellas;):D:D

He's bigger on ideas than experience. We need ideas people, even if the ideas need to be a little more thorough.

:)

Evil One
10-16-2007, 06:41 PM
I am ALL about ideas.I have been dealing with the 2.3 ford lima turbo since about 90ish.
For years it was a commonly held thought that you couldnt get over 300 hp with the stock engine managment without spraying it with N2O. 205 was the highest stock rating.
I dont listen with to "can't". I tuned and tweaked a stock longblock to 332 hp and 344 tq... at the wheels. With no exotic parts.
I just tend to lean towards hands on and real world ideas.

You stop dreaming, you stop living.

Jim

sicksubie
10-16-2007, 07:01 PM
LOL that is the same motor we used for a log splitter. I wish we could have used yours. Could have thrown the logs from down the street instead of just across the yard. :lol:

Evil One
10-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Where would you mount this on the splitter? :lol:
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/svo/boost.jpg

Jim

SVXRide
10-16-2007, 07:26 PM

Jim

:lol::lol::lol::lol::barf::lol::lol::lol: (I hate it when I laugh too hard:rolleyes:)
-Bill

svxistentialist
10-16-2007, 07:32 PM
I am ALL about ideas.I have been dealing with the 2.3 ford lima turbo since about 90ish.
For years it was a commonly held thought that you couldnt get over 300 hp with the stock engine managment without spraying it with N2O. 205 was the highest stock rating.
I dont listen with to "can't". I tuned and tweaked a stock longblock to 332 hp and 344 tq... at the wheels. With no exotic parts.
I just tend to lean towards hands on and real world ideas.

You stop dreaming, you stop living.

Jim

I like this approach. You gets nuthin' for nuthin' in this world, unless you are real lucky.

Anything I ever got I had to dream it up. First you visualize, then, you do. Like virtual reality, only for real.

After the virtual image is confirmed, you figure out how to impose the reality.

500hp? I know how that will work, let's do it.

:cool:

Evil One
10-16-2007, 07:43 PM
My SVX is a daily driver...
Yall are gonna make me crank out some real power... just to say I can... :(
I have been looking over the hard parts of this engine.
As a starting point it is So far ahead of the engines I am used to working with.
The boxer outlay seems to stand up to the power well.
The head design isnt bad.
Cams are mild but not badly suited for a street turbo setup.
The main thing holding it back looks to be the engine management... at least in stock form.
I am betting that a stock engine would receive a sizable power bump with a decent standalone.
Drop the compression to 8.5-9:1, good rods, properly sized turbo, GOOD chargecooler, and a good tune and I think 500 crank should be fairly easy.
Especially with an intake manifold redesign.

Jim

sicksubie
10-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Read some of the ecutune threads in mod mania and if you ever want to swing by and see my car ( I want to see your 2.3t too) feel free.

Evil One
10-16-2007, 07:57 PM
I would love to check out your car... maybe when I pick up the seat back you have for sale ;)
I got out of 2.3Ts for a while... but am starting from scratch on a new project.
http://www.turbopinto.com/images/77%20pinto/pinto1.jpg
I will be keeping track of it on www.turbopinto.com , my website ;)
Feel free to drop in and keep track of it when I start. :D

Jim

sicksubie
10-16-2007, 08:21 PM
get my seat please..... It is taking up space...

porschekiller
10-17-2007, 08:55 AM
sounds like i'll show you mine if you show me yours:lol: what's really going on hereRead some of the ecutune threads in mod mania and if you ever want to swing by and see my car ( I want to see your 2.3t too) feel free.

sicksubie
10-17-2007, 09:14 AM
sounds like i'll show you mine if you show me yours:lol: what's really going on here

Perv......... But you are from Salem and being a Mass native I know I should expect it from someone up there.

porschekiller
10-17-2007, 09:40 AM
they dont call us massholes for nothing:lol:Perv......... But you are from Salem and being a Mass native I know I should expect it from someone up there.

porschekiller
10-17-2007, 09:42 AM
sounds like someones seat is being neglected:lol:get my seat please..... It is taking up space...

porschekiller
10-17-2007, 06:27 PM
600bhp and 245/40zr19x8 pirelli corsa :tongue:on all 4 with 6sp conversion and tein suspension.My SVX is a daily driver...
As a starting point it is So far ahead of the engines I am used to working with.
The main thing holding it back looks to be the engine management... at least in stock form.
I am betting that a stock engine would receive a sizable power bump with a decent standalone.
Drop the compression to 8.5-9:1, good rods, properly sized turbo, GOOD chargecooler, and a good tune and I think 500 crank should be fairly easy.

Jim

porschekiller
10-17-2007, 06:32 PM
a 3.82" stroke will give you a square bore for smooth efficient torque and 4.3L. think 6.2L AMG. 360bhp efficient horsepower and a supercharger would be hardly any drag. think ford gt. ecutune.com seems to have the upgrades.My SVX is a daily driver...

Jim

Tim
10-17-2007, 06:33 PM
To my knowledge, the only real source of struts are the stock Showa's, Konis and the DMS struts....not teins.

porschekiller
10-17-2007, 06:37 PM
custom coil oversTo my knowledge, the only real source of struts are the stock Showa's, Konis and the DMS struts....not teins.