PDA

View Full Version : Advanced thoughts on a "Tour" style meet

crazyhorse
10-04-2007, 06:02 PM
I live within an hour of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. In the fall the park is just ablaze with color. I know the surrounding areas quite well & can guide everyone "off the beaten path" There are countless photo ops there.
I'm thinking late Oct '08. I'll make this a "family friendly" meet, I won't keep you younger folks so late that you can't sample the Tennessee night life. But us "old fogies" need our rest.;)
I have a line on a HUGE chalet, it's 10br 5ba, but IIRC it's pricey, it may be up to $100/person for the weekend. It WILL hold 60+ people if some are willing to sleep on the floor. 40 if all we use are the beds. That way we can all have the late night B.S. sessions that make these meets so cool.
Like the title says, this will be a touring meet. Most of the day saturday would be spent up in the park, and surrounding counties.
After a day of driving, we'd end up at a hidden city park in Gatlinburg for a cookout. This isn't "The Dragon" it's nice & curvy, but a MUCH more laid back drive.

If there's enough interest I'll get more info/pricing.

Oh yeah & I intend to open this to ALL Alcyones

crazyhorse
10-05-2007, 07:02 AM
HMMMMMM no comments?
This is for 2008, not this year!

huck369
10-05-2007, 08:08 AM
I am always up for a meet in the Smokies Paul.

We've had a couple Smokies Meets, one back in 2001, and another that i headed up in 2003....so yours could be the next incarnate Smokies Meet....

A fall colors Meet would be great time to do the Smokies...:)

SVXAPEAL
10-05-2007, 10:13 AM
I am always up for a meet in the Smokies Paul.

We've had a couple Smokies Meets, one back in 2001, and another that i headed up in 2003....so yours could be the next incarnate Smokies Meet....

A fall colors Meet would be great time to do the Smokies...:)

Hmmmm a trip back to the south, I have an interest as would my fiance. We shall keep checking in to see if this is a go.

Caryn

RSVX
10-05-2007, 10:28 AM
I would be up for this... Hopefully my SVX will be back on the road by then...

crazyhorse
10-05-2007, 10:44 AM
The cost of the Chalet looks like it'll be in the $700/night range. That means $1400 for the weekend. If we get 20 confirmed attendees it'll cost $70 per person. Not bad for a weekend stay in The Smokies. A hotel would be $60-120/night.
A quickie itinerary would go like this:
Friday:
6pm, Dinner at a Shoney's type restruant.
9pm, TXR3 tourney @ the Chalet on the big screen. There's a pool table & ping pong table as well.

Saturday:
10am, Breakfast At a Shoney's type restruant, or depending on circumstances, maybe at the chalet, with cereal, doughnuts ETC
Noon, Head out in a convoy from the chalet to Cades Cove. A nice driving tour with a picnic style lunch (BYOF)
3pm, Meet back at the outlet mall for group pics, and to send anyone out shopping who doesn't want to take the trip up the mountain to Clingman's Dome for a great photo op.
4pm, Drive up to Clingman's Dome, Up through The Smoky Mountans National Park.
6pm, Cookout at Herbert Holt Park in Gatlinburg. This is a GREAT little hidden treasure inside Gatlinburg. You have to go by Cooter's Garage to get to it. (Yes THAT Cooter from The Dukes Of Hazzard)
9, or 10pm back to the chalet for schmoozing & more bench racing than you can shake a stick at.

Sunday:
10am, checkout, breakfast at a restruant.
Noon, Optional side trip to The Dragon.

Like I said this is just a quickie to generate interest, and comments.

The Dragon meet is a GREAT thing, but not exactly family friendly. Staying in a Chalet in Townsend gets us "away from it all" but all under one common roof. The Chalet I know of has hotel-like rooms with two double beds in each bedroom. Add in a full kitchen, and 5 FULL bathrooms & everyone can be comfy.

crazyhorse
10-05-2007, 10:46 AM
Oh yeah, y'all from the north had better be good, I'll introduce you to my friends who'd think "you got a awful purdy mouth"
:D:D:D

Paddle faster I still hear banjo music!

Evil One
10-05-2007, 11:31 AM
I was born and raised in georgia.. I would scare yer friends... :tongue:
And yes... SVXapeal and I would be up for it.

Jim

SVXBart
10-05-2007, 04:38 PM
please remind me about this one next august!:)
i'll be in .

crazyhorse
10-05-2007, 05:52 PM
Fomogo, This is essentialy the same as the 1st annual PCCA meet, except for the Chalet, and I'm making it "low budget"
Hopefully I'll get an "excess" of attendees and can use the money to provide the meat for the cookout, and the supplies for the saturday breakfast. Otherwise I'll just tap everyone to bring something.

94SubieSVX
10-05-2007, 10:00 PM
I'd definately be in for this. I have a few relatives in and around Tennessee. Hopefully this can happen, at only $70 or so for the weekend that's pretty good.

crazyhorse
10-05-2007, 10:14 PM
I've got 3 goals for this meet.

#1. Make it FUN
#2. Make it Family Friendly
#3. Keep it Affordable

Just because our cars are expensive to maintain, doesn't mean our friendships should be.

Top drawer fun & memories almost always come from the cheapest entertainment. Example: Jeffast's fun with lighter fluid. :D

immortal_suby
10-06-2007, 06:24 AM
4pm, Drive up to Clingman's Dome, Up through The Smoky Mountans National Park.

lol, I remember last time we went up there at the smokies meet, I buried the needle on my tranny temp gauge :eek:

crazyhorse
10-06-2007, 10:37 AM
lol, I remember last time we went up there at the smokies meet, I buried the needle on my tranny temp gauge :eek:

I'd think you were either stuck behind a motorhome, or hustling pretty good to heat up your tranny that bad!

crazyhorse
05-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Ok, dredging this back up.
I'll tenatively set the date at Oct 24-26 2008. I'm easy to get along with, so if that doesn't jibe, post up & we'll see what we can do.

Also let me know what you think of the itinerary.

I'd like to make this happen.