PDA

View Full Version : improving shifts... DIY shift kit possibilty?

Nevin
10-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Ok, so I was looking at the smallcar website at their stage 1 shift kit or whatever they call it. Seems like a good idea and everything. Also, I've heard of folks just unplugging that sensor in front of the battery and that does the same thing, but makes for not the most friendly driving otherwise.

Well, maybe this has been done, maybe not, but here's my idea.

Why can't you just cut one of the wires that goes into that sensor thinger and splice in two wires that run into the cabin to a switch. When you want firm shifts, you just flip it (so the circuit is open) and then when you're done you just put it back. That way, the tranny acts normal under "normal" driving, and when you want aggressive shifts, you can have them.

Would this even work, does this make sense... Has anyone ELSE done this? Please, if you have information regarding whether or not it will work, please let me know as I'm trying to learn about the car while NOT destroying it.

Thanks in advance.

peace out homies. -nevin

processengr
10-04-2007, 05:52 PM
You will need a resistor across the switch, or you will generate unwanted TCU codes...not to mention the dreaded 16 blinks from the Power lamp on startup...

Crazy_pilot
10-04-2007, 06:39 PM
The thing beside the battery is a resistor. The specific value of the resistance (the numbers of ohms) governs how firmly the trans shifts. Some people have swapped theirs for different rated resistors to get firmer shifts. Your switch idea could work, but as processengr said you'll need some sort of resistor in there to keep the TCU thinking straight.

AFBeefcake
10-04-2007, 08:12 PM
I got the kit just hanging around after my 5 speed swap. I'll sell it cheep.;)

Trevor
10-04-2007, 10:48 PM
The dropping resistor has a special function and this does not involve line pressure adjustment. Disconnecting same does increase line pressure, but importantly as a result the designed function is lost. This factor should be carefully considered.

If you go to my locker, you will find information under Transmission Solenoids, which includes details regarding the true function of the dropping resistor circuit.

Myxalplyx
10-06-2007, 09:38 AM
What is considered a firm shift? Does this mean an increase in power between shifts, fuel increase in between shifts and/or lack of stall time between shifts? There's so much going on in between the shifts that they all seem cumulative to the lag/slow shift. I hate it! :mad:

AlcyoneDaze
10-09-2007, 10:55 PM
I've had my resistor unplugged for quite awhile now, and am generally happy with the shifting performance (much tighter, firmer), don't care that I get 16x POWER at startup, but am loathe to lose selectable 3rd gear to the dreaded hunting/braking effect when cornering back roads and going down hills.

If I don't care about the power light, i wouldn't even have to bother with the resistor, i could just wire up an off/on switch in the cockpit and call it a day, right? any recommendations on what gauge wire or what type of switch I should choose?

Trevor
10-10-2007, 04:03 AM
Refer my previous post. Your questions indicate that you are unaware of exactly what is involved and therefore may not have checked out the data in my locker. If not I strongly advise that you do so.

If you decide to proceed with a switch, I can advise on all that is needed, including how to very simply overcome the indicator light problem. N.B. No responsibility accepted in respect of your transmission. There is an important issue involved in respect of the main line pressure control solenoid.

Nevin
10-10-2007, 11:10 AM
Well, in regards to whether or not I'm still considering this... I've just purchased AFBeefcakes old shiftkit. I'd much rather do it the right way than my way if my way isn't exactly right.

THanks again for helpful tips and advice. Cheers!

-nevin

AlcyoneDaze
10-10-2007, 11:38 AM
Refer my previous post. Your questions indicate that you are unaware of exactly what is involved and therefore may not have checked out the data in my locker. If not I strongly advise that you do so.

If you decide to proceed with a switch, I can advise on all that is needed, including how to very simply overcome the indicator light problem. N.B. No responsibility accepted in respect of your transmission. There is an important issue involved in respect of the main line pressure control solenoid.

well, im humbly stupid. would you mind explaining why this idea is a bad one, in simple terms?

Trevor
10-10-2007, 04:59 PM
well, im humbly stupid. would you mind explaining why this idea is a bad one, in simple terms?

The explanation in my locker is fairly straight forward but briefly:-

The true reason of the resistor circuit, is to ease the arduous repetitive functions imposed in respect of the main line pressure control solenoid. Disconnecting the resistor eliminates a designed feature and could ultimately result in failing line pressure. ;)