PDA

View Full Version : Nitrogen in tires in place of Air

Motorsport-SVX
09-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Its a pretty worth while mod, check your area and see
who is offering it. I know Costco offers it.
But nitrogen in place of air stays the same pressure forever
(or as long as you dont get a puncture in your tire)
so your mpg, tire wear and tire life are all improved.
Also keeps the carcass drier with less moisture inside which
is an improvement.
I just did it on a new set of Falken and SC430 wheels we have
here Im going to put on our silver car for a while.
Should cost about $50 to do all 4, but its only catching on and
more shops are offering it.
Im even thinking about buying the machine so I can offer it to
our customers.

svxcess
09-27-2007, 01:33 PM
So much for the autocross crowd, who are always pumping up and bleeding off their pressures.

Much more complete information HERE (http://www.getnitrogen.org/why/index.php)

RSVX
09-27-2007, 01:36 PM
Bah, overrated.

I really only saw the need for it on the Aircraft I used to fix for the USAF.

svxcess
09-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Most tires are filled with compressed air, which when dry consists of about 78 percent nitrogen, 21 percent oxygen, and 1 percent other gases by volume. Water vapor (humidity) can make up as much as 5 percent of the volume of air under worst-case conditions.

Filling your tires with nitrogen mainly does two things: it eliminates moisture, and it replaces skinny oxygen molecules with fat nitrogen molecules, reducing the rate at which compressed gas diffuses through porous tire walls. That means, theoretically at least, that a tire filled with nitrogen retains optimal pressure longer, leading to more uniform tire wear and better gas mileage. The commonly quoted figure is that tires inflated to 32 psi get 3 percent better mileage than at 24 psi.

I don't know of any scientific tests showing that nitrogen-filled tires stayed inflated longer than average under normal conditions.

As for moisture, changes in humidity affect tire performance two ways. First, the density of humid air fluctuates more with temperature than that of dry air, so removing humidity can keep your tire pressure more consistent, especially when the temperature climbs over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. That may be a legitimate concern in Formula One racing, but it's not much of an issue if you're just tooling around town.

Humidity can also be a factor in wheel maintenance — since pure nitrogen doesn't have moisture in it, supposedly your wheels won't rust as quickly. But this should not be an issue for us since we have aluminum alloys

Another claim I've seen is that since nitrogen is slightly lighter than air, you'll save weight and get better performance. However, we're talking about a weight difference of less than 4 percent of the gas in the tire — in other words, a difference of less than an ounce for most vehicles.

A possibly more realistic benefit is that nitrogen is largely inert chemically at low (i.e., normal) temperatures, so it won't attack the rubber in your tires like oxygen does.

If I bought my tires at Costco and had them installed, nitrogen is free. But since since Costco doesn't sell Toyo Proxes, and I check my tires weekly, I'll use that $40.00 or so I'm saving towards something more fun.

AlcyoneDaze
09-27-2007, 02:07 PM
Bah, overrated.

I really only saw the need for it on the Aircraft I used to fix for the USAF.

My car is a jet fighter. :D

I heard about this awhile ago. nitrogen is way better than oxygen, so long as its practical

Motorsport-SVX
09-27-2007, 02:16 PM
for $40-50 I think its worth it
just for the simple fact the pressure stays Constant
from day 1 ... Most people dont check their tires enough
anyway, even Im guilty of it and Im in the business. For
me its one less thing to worry about, and in gas alone in
the first yr Im sure Id save the $ I spent. Just for the peace
of mind.
I think its a good idea for anyone who wants worry about less
maintance or has a few cars to worry about too.
Esp for anyone who never checks their tire pressure but every
few months it would be ideally for. Also the fact your tires at
a constant pressure would only help with tire wear too.
To each their own, but Im sure someone will find it useful on
the site other then me.
And if you do buy your tires at Costco, correct they do it for
you automatically. The price is included in their installation.
There is a Discount Tire in Scottsdale and San Diego that both
offer it as an option when you buy their tires for a small added cost
too.

benebob
09-27-2007, 02:18 PM
40-50? Most of the places around here put it in for "free" with new tire purchase! Only real advantage for those who take care of their ride is that it doesn't introduce water into the tire area so it helps with rot.

for $40-50 I think its worth it
just for the simple fact the pressure stays Constant
from day 1 ... Most people dont check their tires enough
anyway, even Im guilty of it and Im in the business. For
me its one less thing to worry about, and in gas alone in
the first yr Im sure Id save the $ I spent. Just for the peace
of mind.
I think its a good idea for anyone who wants worry about less
maintance or has a few cars to worry about too.
Esp for anyone who never checks their tire pressure but every
few months it would be ideally for. Also the fact your tires at
a constant pressure would only help with tire wear too.
To each their own, but Im sure someone will find it useful on
the site other then me.
And if you do buy your tires at Costco, correct they do it for
you automatically. The price is included in their installation.
There is a Discount Tire in Scottsdale and San Diego that both
offer it as an option when you buy their tires for a small added cost
too.

Motorsport-SVX
09-27-2007, 02:30 PM
yeah, and Im in the tire business and can tell you 80% of car
owners dont put tire maintance on the top of their to do list :p

If they do it for free, thats great but dont kid yourself
they factor it into their tire prices and or service.

If they can make $ offering it as alternative, good for
them too :D Its not like they are forcing anyone to buy it.
Even Costco charges $4 per tire for any refills later on if
you get a leak in the tire. Theres no reason they should give
it away since the machines cost close to $4k or more.

immortal_suby
09-27-2007, 02:57 PM
or you can just keep adding compressed air to your tires every month until the small percentage of oxygen leaks out and they are naturally nitrogen filled ;)

Motorsport-SVX
09-27-2007, 03:48 PM
my brother has an 07 STi
Since he has a TPMS on my car that gives both pressure and temp, he can tell you even around town at 80F, tires easitly get to 100F. ON the freeway they go over it easily. IN Tucson, at 100F, my tires are seeing 135+F.

I know that during the last 4 weeks, he has adjusted my tires at least 2 times a week due to the changes in temp. adding or removing air every time. If you live in Bora Bora where the weather is th same everyday, fine. but for anyplace that has temp flucuations, N2 is not a bad idea. Just put a TPMS in your car like I did and you'll see the range of temp and pressure changes on a daily basis.

Lighter then air was never brought up as a selling point.

wawazat??
09-27-2007, 04:13 PM
Any gas volume will expand and contract with temperature and subsequently change psig in the tire (PV=nRT). As such I don't see the point to pay extra to "Nitroinize" as they call it around here :rolleyes:. As John stated, air is mainly comprised of nitrogen most ambient conditions preclude 5% water vapor in compressed air systems. I also routinely rotate my tires on all the fleet and with the SVX I am constantly checking and bleeding/inflating the tires due to autocross action.

But, everyone has their choice as to what they will pay for.

Todd

Motorsport-SVX
09-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Any gas volume will expand and contract with temperature and subsequently change psig in the tire (PV=nRT). As such I don't see the point to pay extra to "Nitroinize" as they call it around here :rolleyes:. As John stated, air is mainly comprised of nitrogen most ambient conditions preclude 5% water vapor in compressed air systems. I also routinely rotate my tires on all the fleet and with the SVX I am constantly checking and bleeding/inflating the tires due to autocross action.

But, everyone has their choice as to what they will pay for.

Todd

Well this wasnt an attack on you or how you maintane your car...
If it doesnt work for you, no need to comment in my opinion.
all it started out was and should remain as is "useful information"
to anyone looking for a Mod for their car that it may apply to.
Lets leave it at that cool ..thanks.

Hocrest
09-27-2007, 09:04 PM
When I worked with medical supplies, I used to fill my tires with oxygen.

For no other reason then the fact that I always had tanks in my car.

wombat
09-28-2007, 05:46 AM
I run nitrogen in all of my tires, truck, car, trailers race cars. For me, the biggest advantage is that you do not get the rise in PSI with nitrogen as much as you do with compressed air. Admitedly, it's probably the absence of moisture that accounts for that but when you find something that works.....but when you are able to anticipate a cold tire set at 24psi heating to a hot pressure of 30psi, you have a better chance of running more consistantly. I know it doesn't matter for the street as much but if the compressor that you are getting air for your tires from has a drier, that should be good enough for the street IMO....

A large bottle of nitrogen goes for @ $250.00 here and a nitrogen regulator runs around the same so, for $500.00, we have a system we bring to the track and use for tires of course as well as air tools..(no moisture, and no noisy compressors at the track!!). Refills arent that much but the initial investment is a killer.

wawazat??
09-28-2007, 06:22 AM
Well this wasnt an attack on you or how you maintane your car...
If it doesnt work for you, no need to comment in my opinion.
all it started out was and should remain as is "useful information"
to anyone looking for a Mod for their car that it may apply to.
Lets leave it at that cool ..thanks.

No attack interpreted on my part Dayle:), merely my view which is different than your view on the subject. I didn't intend to remove the thread and as long as any post meets the rules of the SVXWN it can stay so I won't be removing my own post. It's a discussion board not an agreement board:) You posted an idea and I posted an idea.

Todd

benebob
09-28-2007, 07:09 AM
But nitrogen in place of air stays the same pressure forever
(or as long as you dont get a puncture in your tire)
so your mpg, tire wear and tire life are all improved.

Now you got me thinking Dayle about tire life. I'd suspect you'd actually loose some drivability and tire life somewhat by going to Nitrogen since it doesn't change PSI as readily. A cold tire will have a lower PSI in it then warm (every manufacturer posts cold fill PSI numbers). If you put Nitrogen in there which doesn't rise as quickly as the car warms then you're techincally driving underinflated tires which means you're not getting the mileage a properly inflated air tire should.

Also of course most street tires perform better when slightly over inflated as it lessens tire roll a bit so in essence the harder you drive and heat up your tires the better they are at resisting body roll. With nitrogen you'll loose that unless you fill up your tires beyond the recommended levels. If you add more nitrogen in there then you'll loose that driveability on those cold tire, chilly morning starts since cold rubber isn't nearly as effective at gripping as warmer rubber is plus you're "overinflated" to start with so your tire does not have the same larger contact point that it would if it was inflated less. Remember a tire isn't flat but actually slightly rounded (like a motorcycle tire). The more air you put in the smaller the contact point becomes. Of course I haven't done a study on the subject but just applying the general rules of tires to the subject.

I've talked to my tire guy/sponsor about nitrogen when I got my new tires on there. He said even in my circumstance (drive the car 3k or so a year so my tires dry out before they loose tread) he wouldn't recommend the added expense of nitrogen. Just food for thought. Dayle's right though that rightly or wrongly customers seem willing to pay a premium for the stuff so you do see a lot of tire dealers going to it. It does translate into a higher bottom line for a tough business with the increase of competition with discount tire places.

Beav
09-28-2007, 02:12 PM
Y'all could save the $40 and buy something more useful, like magnets for your fuel lines...

(Never afraid to say what I'm thinking :D)