PDA

View Full Version : Jacking points

Mr. Pockets
05-09-2002, 01:52 PM
I am aware of the brackets in the body work for use of the supplied tire-change jack. But I would like to raise the entire car up off the ground. I was under the impression that Subarus were supposed to be lifted by the rear diff, but now I read that this is bad.

Where, in the front and the back, should I place the floor jack and where should I place the jackstands once it's up there?

I already had to park it on some 2x12s so I could even fit my floor jack under the car. :) It wasn't clearing the muffler.

MoreIBNR
05-09-2002, 10:02 PM
I don't know if this is bad or not, but this is the way I've been doing it - jack up one side of the front at the jack point and support with a jack stand. Repeat for other side. (Now the front is raised) Jack up rear by the differential and support both sides with stands. I have done this many times and have not run into any problems that I can tell.

Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
I am aware of the brackets in the body work for use of the supplied tire-change jack. But I would like to raise the entire car up off the ground. I was under the impression that Subarus were supposed to be lifted by the rear diff, but now I read that this is bad.

Where, in the front and the back, should I place the floor jack and where should I place the jackstands once it's up there?

I already had to park it on some 2x12s so I could even fit my floor jack under the car. :) It wasn't clearing the muffler.

Aredubjay
05-09-2002, 10:15 PM
The manual shows front position to be in the center of the cross member. The rear position is shown to be the rear diff. Safety stand locations are shown to be the four jack positions.

Beav
05-09-2002, 10:20 PM
You could just make things a lot easier on yourself and have an above-ground hoist installed in your garage for about $1600. ;)

Mr. Pockets
05-10-2002, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by Beav
You could just make things a lot easier on yourself and have an above-ground hoist installed in your garage for about $1600. ;)

$1600 is by no means 'easier' for me, and I don't own the house, so that'd be a little silly. :)

But, really, is jacking the car up by the rear diff okay, Beav? And if so, where do I put the stands once it's up?

Mr. Pockets
05-10-2002, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Aredubjay
The manual shows front position to be in the center of the cross member. The rear position is shown to be the rear diff. Safety stand locations are shown to be the four jack positions.

Thanks, Randy. I suppose it makes sense to put the stands under the four jack positions.

By 'crossmember' are you referring to the front subframe?

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?model=2&year=1993&style=4WD&body=&scn=2&category=200-A

Aredubjay
05-10-2002, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets

Thanks, Randy. I suppose it makes sense to put the stands under the four jack positions.

By 'crossmember' are you referring to the front subframe?

http://www.subaruparts.com/diag/?model=2&year=1993&style=4WD&body=&scn=2&category=200-A

Yes, front subframe, in the center, is the position shown in the manual. It looks, in the manual, as if they use a block of wood on the jack (perhaps their jacks have rubber cushions on them) to avoid metal to metal contact.

Beav
05-10-2002, 04:35 PM
If the manual says it's o.k., it should be o.k. You will probably want to use a wood block at the front x-member so the jack won't contact the oil pan or bellhousing, etc. - that would not be a good thing. ;)

dart
05-10-2002, 05:09 PM

Just curious. Where have you seen a lift for $1600 installed? Best price I can find is $2400-up. Sure would like to retire the creeper
to the corner of the shop. :cool:

Beav
05-10-2002, 10:45 PM
When I was selling tools (MAC) there were a number of local companies in SW Missouri that could/would install something suitable for home use for that price. You just need to do some shopping.

dart
05-11-2002, 08:00 AM
When I was selling tools (MAC) there were a number of local companies in SW Missouri that could/would install something suitable for home use for that price. You just need to do some shopping.

er umm thanks... i think..:confused: