PDA

View Full Version : Poll:Best place to mount HIDs

processengr
08-31-2007, 06:24 PM
Now that I have new HIDs thanks to SVXFILES, a poll as to where is best to mount the ballasts...
It would seem that under the fenderwells is the easiest, but wiring is more complicated, and behind front bumper requires removing headlamp assemblies, but simplifies wiring.
Then there are "other" places...
My goal would be to put them where God and Subaru would have mounted them
;)

svxash
08-31-2007, 07:02 PM
I mounted mine behind the fender wells. The right side I removed the liner but then also pulled the headlight to feed the wiring and found out that you can mount them behind the fender wells by removing the headlights an installing them that way. It also makes it easier to run the wiring. I'll try and take some photos and put them in my post about my HID's.

Crazy_pilot
08-31-2007, 07:25 PM
I ended up mounting mine under the headlights, on the flat part of the inner fender. Drivers side is right in front of the horns, pass side is just in front of the ABS unit.

While looking around I found that it is almost possible to mount them to the top of the bumper beam under the grill. This might work on the pass side, but on the drivers side the ballast plugs bump into the pins on the bottom of the grill and the wiring isn't long enough to reach after that.

svxfiles
09-01-2007, 07:37 AM
On the last two that I installed I removed the headlights to make the wireing easier.
And I still like mounting them vertically in the inner fender,
using the 6mm tapped hole on the passinger side
(mounted on a 15% angle tilted back)
and on the drivers side using the front airbag mounting bolt,
BUT LEAVING THE SENSOR INTACT!!!
and tilting the ballast forward about 30% forward.

I have started including some stainless steel metal screws so that you can drill into the inner fender to tie other end of the bracket down.:)
On my Claret, where weight is a factor.:rolleyes: I installed one ballast after using the bracket as a template.:o

More later
Tom
301-707-3437

immortal_suby
09-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Not wanting to touch the bulbs to anything while installing them, I removed the headlights on both sides. When I had the lights out it just popped into my head to mount the ballast in there with all of that room.

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q83/immortal_suby/IMG_6358.jpg

svxash
09-02-2007, 06:16 PM
So here is some photos of where I mounted them. As I mentioned earlier you can mount them by removing the headlights and corner lights. The first 2 are of the passenger side ballast mount. The next 2 show where I ran the wires. I ran one up through the factory wire run and the other under the headlight. The last pic is of the drivers side ballast mount looking through the coner light opening.

svxash
09-02-2007, 06:24 PM
Here are the rest of the pics. The first photo is of the hole I used for the mount. The next one is of the ballast mounted. The last one is of the location of where I ran the wires. Again I used the factory wire run but was able to run both wires through the opening because the ballast was mounted further forward allowing enough of the wire to feed through.