PDA

View Full Version : GPS in SVX?

SVXMAN2001
08-04-2007, 07:36 PM
Has anyone heard of or installed navigation in their svx? Just testing the waters to see if it is even doable...

Crazy_pilot
08-04-2007, 07:43 PM
Should be do-able. I've been looking at doing that with mine. The radio cage should fit most standard double slot sized systems, and then it's just a matter of installing the GPS receiver and nav system, if it's a separate thing.

SVXMAN2001
08-04-2007, 07:45 PM
do you know of any brands that are compatible with the svx? aftermarket or other cars that would work in the svx?

Crazy_pilot
08-04-2007, 08:11 PM
I haven't looked too in depth, but I would imagine that any of the double-DIN sized units would work. Something like the Pioneer AVIC-Z2 and AVIC-C3. The roll out screen models don't work as well because the radio cage sits too far into the dash, and the screen can't rotate fully upright without hitting the panel above, plus it would block the climate controls.

Here's the link to Pioneer's nav units: http://www.pioneerelectronics.ca/pna/product/album/0,,32171715_32249639,00.html

Some nav units have the screen which fits into the dash, and a second "box" which is the actual navigation processor that has to be installed somewhere else. Pioneer (as far as I know) has everything built into the dash unit. There's the reciever antenna, which has to be mounted somewhere too.

SVXdc makes/sells wire harness adapters, which should make everything work just fine.

redsvx
08-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I think as long as it it a double DIN with max 4" of opening it will fit?

Kenwood DNX7100 is one.
Kinda pricey though!

Installation Details for your 1994 SVX

» To install this product, you’ll have to modify your vehicle.
» Use the brackets that came with your factory stereo to install your new receiver.
» An installation kit is not required to install your new receiver.
» A wiring harness is not available. You will need to splice into the factory wires

Someone on the network might be able to get you a harness or make one.
posted by Crazy Pilot SVXdc makes/sells wire harness adapters, which should make everything work just fine.

Crazy_pilot
08-04-2007, 08:14 PM
I just checked the dimensions of the radio cage. It is 7-1/16" wide, 4" tall, and 6-5/8" deep. The space between the cage and the radio cover door (closed) is between 7/8" and 2".

http://www.geocities.com/svxdc/AudioInstall-2.htm#2-RadioRemoval ; Section 2.4.1.

That should be a perfect fit for any double-DIN standard size unit.

LetItSnow
08-05-2007, 06:41 AM
Keep in mind that the bottom of the face of whatever you install can't come forward too far, or the door will get hung up on it (on the door's inside black panel) about a third of the way closed.

redsvx
08-05-2007, 05:02 PM
the door will get hung up on it

I think there is a thread for modifying the door by ensteele. It shows the install of a stock WRX 6CD changer.
But it should apply to other makes as well. :)

ensteele
08-05-2007, 11:25 PM
It should work just fine. :)

Kelvin
08-06-2007, 01:03 PM
I used to have a Garmin GPS installed right under my gauge cluster, above the steering wheel column. The big issue with GPS is that hte SVX uses some stupid ass windshield that has 'titanium oxide in it' to block UV rays, but it also blocks GPS signals. I had to purchase a 20 ft cable to relocate my antenna in the back window, and then it worked okay. As long as you can relocate the antenna from the in-dash units, you'll be okay.

PS: Look forward to seeing how 'off' your speedo is. GPS is very accurate.

svxcess
12-09-2008, 10:06 PM
The big issue with GPS is that thee SVX uses some stupid-ass windshield that has 'titanium oxide in it' to block UV rays, but it also blocks GPS signals.

Try one of the cheap wireless ones. Some models are more reliable than others and a little more temperamental, but nice company on a long trip.

http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/funny-pictures-cats-cannot-be-gps-receivers.jpg

Johnybeas
12-10-2008, 07:45 PM
Pioneer d3 n d2 both fit and look nice, I saw an svx with one in it. They have GPS DVD CD as well as have hook ups for back up camera n such. You can get them on ebay lightly used for under 500 n if you're lucky under 400. Check it out. I think they look the best of what I've seen in SVX's so far, that's what I'm going for. When I get the cash, if my parents don't buy me one for XMAS

Johnybeas
12-11-2008, 05:22 AM
scratch that...AVIC-F900BT for the win!

Mensaf
12-11-2008, 05:59 AM
I met a guy once with an SVX, I believe his username here was SVXtatic or SVXtacy, something along those lines (It's how I knew there were even forums for this). This was maybe 2 or so years ago, when I met him at a local meet, and I know he lives somewhere in my town. He had the 6spd, TE37's, some kind of big brake kit, and a pimp thing where the stock radio is called a car pc, which, as the name suggests, is a computer within the car. Navi, movies, music, etc. One of his buddies in a 240 had his guages on a digital display in a similar car pc type thing, and he said he eventually wanted to do that when he needed those guages. All I know now is car pc. We should all get them because they fit PERFECTLY in that slot, and might actually give us a reason to close the door/hinge thing when we get out of the car :P

Johnybeas
12-20-2008, 10:41 AM
seen it, not a fan because he had to have a mouse n keyboard too... if you look at his car domain you'll see the mouse n keyboard under his seat.

evilsvx
01-04-2009, 09:14 AM
i would like to know if this indash gps dvd receiver can fit on our svxs. the measurement are
7"inches in Width, 4"inches in height,
7 1/8"inches is the depth from tip of the front of the screen to the back of unit.

this is how it looks when it opens:

http://i13.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/27/e0/b710_3.JPG

shelfy
01-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Try one of the cheap wireless ones. Some models are more reliable than others and a little more temperamental, but nice company on a long trip.

agreed! our $89 tomtom works just fine.

Freeman
01-13-2009, 11:23 AM
So all in all, what is the best bet for a GPS in place of the radio of the SVX?

Anybody wanna make up a chart or something of best to worse based on what people have already done.. Also from espensive to cheap?

Mike621
01-13-2009, 12:04 PM
Usually most vendor sites like best buy, amazon, etc have pretty substntial customer testimonial sections. Any double DIN headunit that protrudes less than .65 of an inch from the side plate will usually work with little to no modification to the radio door trim piece.

I usually install Subaru oem headunits from the newer cars and use standalone gps systems.

Mike621
01-13-2009, 12:07 PM
i would like to know if this indash gps dvd receiver can fit on our svxs. the measurement are
7"inches in Width, 4"inches in height,
7 1/8"inches is the depth from tip of the front of the screen to the back of unit.

this is how it looks when it opens:

http://i13.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/27/e0/b710_3.JPG

This would not fit. The obtuse manner with which it opens would contact not only the radio door but possibly also the shifter in park as well.