PDA

View Full Version : Rear Stabilizer bushing upgrade

svxcess
08-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Svxfiles can give you all of the background and technical and performance stuff. At the Maryland Meet on Sunday, we did six, successive rear stabilizer bushing upgrades. And mine (No.7) was done on Monday. if you have done the "15.00/15 minute mod" , this takes tha last bit of play from the rear suspension.

I am not sure if he will be selling these kits, but it is a no-brainer, easy install with very little modification ( an existing hole needs to be drilled larger to accept a heavier bushing and bigger bolt). Takes less than half an hour.

Take it away, Tommmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Tim
08-02-2007, 06:09 AM
Ohhh yes... the 30 minute/$30 mod you were talking about...

Spill spill spill!:D

LetItSnow
08-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Yeh, when were we gonna see this? :D

svxcess
08-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Put the pressure on svxfiles for this one. he is the one who came up with it, had the bushings made and came up with the rest of the parts.

I don't think there are pictures yet, but I could be wrong

ensteele
08-13-2007, 08:32 PM
:pics: :pics: :) :) :)

TomsSVX
08-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Im trying to figure out when he is gonna say... crap, there is nothing left to tinker with:D :D

Tom

Hocrest
08-13-2007, 11:06 PM
I don't see that happening... EVER

SVXRide
08-14-2007, 07:12 AM
I'm waiting for his "retractable roof" mod;) :D
-Bill

svxfiles
08-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Ohhh yes... the 30 minute/$30 mod you were talking about...

Spill spill spill!:D
How about the 20 minute $20.00 mod?:D ;)

svxfiles
08-14-2007, 10:50 PM
Im trying to figure out when he is gonna say... crap, there is nothing left to tinker with:D :D

Tom
:o Thanks.

svxfiles
08-14-2007, 10:53 PM
I just got 30 bushings today, enough for 15 SVXi.:)
If I can put in less than a 14 hour day at Fed Up tomorrow I will spill.:)
More later,
Original Tom.
;)

Me sleepy now!
6:00 AM is early......

Hocrest
08-14-2007, 10:56 PM
You're such a tease :mad:

Why not just deliver ALL the packages to the first stop, then you'll have plenty of time time to explain your latest creation :D:D:D

btw... now I'm real mad that I missed out on your cookout :( :(

SVXRide
08-14-2007, 11:26 PM
You're such a tease :mad:

Why not just deliver ALL the packages to the first stop, then you'll have plenty of time time to explain your latest creation :D:D:D

btw... now I'm real mad that I missed out on your cookout :( :(

Dave,
If you want to feel better, check out page 163 in the August issue of GRM.:cool:
-Bill

SVXBart
08-20-2007, 04:20 PM
Tom did this mod to my car on saturday.
What a diference!!!
Thanks Tom.

sicksubie
08-31-2007, 06:43 PM
is this the same as the 15/15 mod or is this something different?

svxfiles
08-31-2007, 07:54 PM
is this the same as the 15/15 mod or is this something different?
No, this is the twenty minute (underestimated) $20.00 mod that stiffens the rear anti-sway bar even more!:D
If you allready have the fifteen minute, $15.00 mod AND polyurothane
anti-sway bar bushings then you WILL notice a differance with this easy to install (reasonably priced) mod.:D
Tom

ridered777
08-31-2007, 08:03 PM
In that case, spill the beans! And tell me where to buy the pieces... I'm assuming I could send you money...:lol:

svxfiles
08-31-2007, 08:48 PM
In that case, spill the beans! And tell me where to buy the pieces... I'm assuming I could send you money...:lol:
Yes YOU can always send us money!:cool:
And its usually worth it!:p
Question, I see that you have "Energy Suspension front sway bar bushings, (soon to come) PolyUrethane rear sway bar bushings. "
Do you have either the fifteen minute mod, or earthworms rear differential mounts?
If so, then you would feel a quicker "turn in" with the twenty minute, $20.00 mod.
If you still had/have the original factory soft bushings, and mounts, you will probably not notice the difference.
Because the factory system was designed to cushion, and isolate the driver from the road.:eek:
These rebuildable, replacement upgraded bushings have less than half the flex of the stock bushings, thicker, stronger mounting bolts, and self locking nuts.
You only need an electric drill with a 3/8" drill bit, a 5/16" allen wrench, a pair of 12mm wrenches, and a 9/16" or 14mm wrench for the job.:)
The bushings, bolts, nuts are all included.
More later,
Tom

ridered777
08-31-2007, 09:17 PM
I have the bushings for the rear, I just haven't installed em yet. And I do plan on doing the $15/15min mod, I just have to find the pieces, as the local autozone does not have them. Plus, I was waiting to hear about the hockey puck idea for a bit, but that ended up getting shot down. I've PM'ed Earthworm (he hasn't responded) in terms of getting the Diff mounts, but they will not be installed until the tranny swap is done (spring next year probably), I'm just starting to collect pieces...

So I do think its a worth while thing to do, yes. Especially if it really DOES only cost me $20, though you're so keen on me sending you money, you might charge me extra... :)

I've got all the tools, don't worry. I've got a garage full of more tools than I'll probably ever use. I even have a lift!:eek: Haha. Unfortunately the '59 Vette is up on it right now, so I can't use it. Not that I need it.

svxfiles
09-01-2007, 07:44 AM
1)I have the bushings for the rear, I just haven't installed em yet.
2)And I do plan on doing the $15/15min mod, I just have to find the pieces, as the local autozone does not have them.
3)Plus, I was waiting to hear about the hockey puck idea for a bit, but that ended up getting shot down.
4)I've PM'ed Earthworm (he hasn't responded) in terms of getting the Diff mounts, but they will not be installed until the tranny swap is done (spring next year probably), I'm just starting to collect pieces...

5)So I do think its a worth while thing to do, yes.
6)Especially if it really DOES only cost me $20, though you're so keen on me sending you money, you might charge me extra... :)

7)I've got all the tools, don't worry.
8)I've got a garage full of more tools than I'll probably ever use.
9)I even have a lift!:eek: Haha.
10) Unfortunately the '59 Vette is up on it right now, so I can't use it.
Not that I need it.
1) It takes about 1/2 hour, and it will quicker your steering response, and help limit lean in a turn.
2) I can send them to you. Or, at Advance Auto Parts its part# 31000 in the help section.:)
3) I specifically wanted an aproximately 80-90 durometer rubber for this mod, so that it did not squeek or crack in the cold.;)
4) earthworms diff mounts will almost eliminate the need for the Fifteen minute/$15.00 mod, but for the price, both could not hurt.
5) You know, for the price of four good fast food burgers, (somehow that statement is just wrong!:mad: ) you can improve your handeling.
6) For YOU I'll include shipping.
7) Its my job as a father to worry.:o
8) I need more tools, a frame machine, a tire ballancer, a tire machine, an allignment rack, maybe a paper towel holder...
9) Good for you! If I did not have a rack working more than Young Tom would be hard on my back!:eek:
10) If the 59 Vette is a problem, then maybe I could just GIVE you the bushings, and mounts, installed mind you and say,

Crap! you would never go for it!:(

ridered777
09-01-2007, 02:39 PM
Haha. Tom you are too funny. Not only would I not go for giving you the Vette, but it's not mine to give away... A little snag, yes.

That's all good news. Maybe I can get the plates for the $15/15min mod shipped with this fabled $20/20min mod? Let me know on a timeframe and a paypal total.

Oh and the other bushings will get installed, don't worry. Possibly tomorrow, depending on if our meet gets pushed back. Speaking of which, you interested in a mini-meet tomorrow?? Check the Northeast section of the forum, we're goin' to the seacoast...:o

svxfiles
09-10-2007, 04:33 PM
Haha. Tom you are too funny. Not only would I not go for giving you the Vette, but it's not mine to give away... A little snag, yes.

That's all good news. Maybe I can get the plates for the $15/15min mod shipped with this fabled $20/20min mod? Let me know on a timeframe and a paypal total.

Oh and the other bushings will get installed, don't worry. Possibly tomorrow, depending on if our meet gets pushed back. Speaking of which, you interested in a mini-meet tomorrow?? Check the Northeast section of the forum, we're goin' to the seacoast...:o

Craig, I sent out the Fifteen Minute Mod spacers, and the Twenty Minute $20.00 Mod today USPS, First Class.:)
So you should get it by Friday.:cool:
More later,
Tom

svxfiles
09-10-2007, 05:38 PM
I found a way to make the stock SVX rear anti-sway bar more responsive.
And by making the rear anti-sway bar effectively firmer, the SVX "turns in" better.:)
What you do is replace the bar end bushings with ones that I have made up.:)
The $20.00 covers two self lubricating bronze bushings, two grade 5 allen head 3/8" X 2" bolts, two self locking nuts, two rubber sleeves, packaging and mailing/shipping, in the lower 48.
When I first tried this mod on my polyurethane bushing, Koni, 15 min mod , special spring and spacer equipped Claret, I was very surprised at the difference.:D
Unless you have the poly bushings, don't bother, get them first!;)

Here is what you do.

Safely lift the rear of your SVX and install jackstands.
As always, SAFETY FIRST!

With two 12mm wrenches, remove the bolts that attach the rear anti-sway bar to the anti-sway bar links.

Pivot the bar down out of the way.

Grab the links, one at a time with Vice Grips, and with an electric or air drill, enlarge the existing holes to 3/8".

Pry the old black rubber bushings out of the ends of the anti-sway bar.
A 1/4" thick phillips screwdriver works well.

Wet the bushings with water and push them into place.

It seems to work best if you install the rubber bushing first, and then push in the bronze bushing.

Now swing the anti-sway bar into place, and push the allen head bolts into the links with the self locking nuts on the outside of the car.

Torque/tighten the bolts to 35 foot/pounds.

That's it.
Now go drive carefully and enjoy the greater control, and improved response!:D

TomsSVX
09-10-2007, 06:23 PM
tom... great writeup... Maybe next time I am down that way we can slap some on my ride:D

Tom

svxfiles
09-10-2007, 06:27 PM
tom... great writeup... Maybe next time I am down that way we can slap some on my ride:D

Tom

Great idea YT, maybe after Jerry spanks you at the Subaru Challange with MY car we can install them at the picnic!:eek::eek::p

Of course if YOU install them its a 6 minute $20.00 mod!:rolleyes:

It's Just Eric
09-10-2007, 09:10 PM
Hmm...this one's goin on the wishlist. Saw the install done at the meet..It is pretty painless. Though,admitedly, I need a haircut...so I can go job hunting....so this might be a few weeks off:(

ridered777
09-10-2007, 09:54 PM
We'll see how it goes when I get mine in. Hopefully I'll get some pictures up, as thats the main thing lacking in the write up.:)

I'm doing my rear stab. bushings at the same time. Hopefully they'll get here in time for the weekend and I'll get some good weather, maybe get it all done on friday.

Updates to come,
Craig

immortal_suby
09-12-2007, 08:00 PM
OT - to get both kits shipped ground how much do we need to send you in paypal dollars?

svxfiles
09-12-2007, 08:53 PM
OT - to get both kits shipped ground how much do we need to send you in paypal dollars?

If you mean the $15.00 mod and the $20.00 mod, then $35.00 will do.;)
You can buy the $15.00 mod from Advanced Auto Parts (part #31000) for about $14.62 for the two parts.
The $20.00 mod is a combination of grade 5 bolts, self locking nuts, self lubricating bushings and easily replaceably rubber bushings, (that don't actually cost me $20.00:eek::o,) But they DO give a nice response in the handeling, well worth the money!:D
Tom

Tim
09-12-2007, 09:28 PM
Grab the links, one at a time with Vice Grips, and with an electric or air drill, enlarge the existing holes to 3/8".

Drilling freaks me out...

Is that something I could potentially screw up? :p

YourConfused
09-12-2007, 09:33 PM
We need a couple more of this guy (old Tom).
Wait, if everyone were like him then we wouldn't have any politicians. Then we wouldn't need lawyers! Then the world would be in peace. Well we have all seen the Matrix and know how that turns out. :D

YourConfused
09-12-2007, 09:36 PM
quote:

"Drilling freaks me out...

Is that something I could potentially screw up?"

If you have opposable thumbs then you can do it!

immortal_suby
09-14-2007, 04:50 PM
If you mean the $15.00 mod and the $20.00 mod, then $35.00 will do.;)
You can buy the $15.00 mod from Advanced Auto Parts (part #31000) for about $14.62 for the two parts.
The $20.00 mod is a combination of grade 5 bolts, self locking nuts, self lubricating bushings and easily replaceably rubber bushings, (that don't actually cost me $20.00:eek::o,) But they DO give a nice response in the handeling, well worth the money!:D
Tom

Any shipping and paypal fees to add to that or just flat out $35 paypal dollars?

My car leans too much.

svxfiles
09-14-2007, 09:26 PM
Any shipping and paypal fees to add to that or just flat out $35 paypal dollars?

My car leans too much.

Anything $35.00 and up would be just fine!

To any orders of eight people or less a 18% gratuity will be added.:eek:

Just kidding!:)

ridered777
09-15-2007, 07:47 AM

Hahah. Yeah, I put in a... what is it, 30% gratuity without even knowing it!!! :D

Question for you though. Got a package from you, but I think I'm waiting on another, as it only had the $15/15min mod. Did you send them in 2 packages?

It's raining today, so I couldn't get anything done anyway...:mad:

svxfiles
09-15-2007, 09:25 AM
Hahah. Yeah, I put in a... what is it, 30% gratuity without even knowing it!!! :D

Question for you though. Got a package from you, but I think I'm waiting on another, as it only had the $15/15min mod. Did you send them in 2 packages?

It's raining today, so I couldn't get anything done anyway...:mad:

In the clear package, the blister pack is the black rubber sleeve, the bronze bushing, the black allen head bolts, and the silver self locking nuts.
The 15 minute mod is the big black flat rubber rings.:)
Call me.
Tom
301-707-3437:D

immortal_suby
09-15-2007, 02:13 PM

Sent you a paypal.

ridered777
09-15-2007, 04:02 PM
In the clear package, the blister pack is the black rubber sleeve, the bronze bushing, the black allen head bolts, and the silver self locking nuts.
The 15 minute mod is the big black flat rubber rings.:)
Call me.
Tom
301-707-3437:D

Haha. Wow, I'm not very observant! Thanks.

I'll rip 'er apart tomorrow and give you a ring. :)

svxfiles
09-15-2007, 09:35 PM
I'll rip 'er apart tomorrow and give you a ring. :)

Cool!:cool:

svxfiles
09-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Sent you a paypal.

Kewell!:D:cool:

svxfiles
09-24-2007, 02:16 PM

My car leans too much.

Matt, thanks for the order.:)
I just sent the package USPS.
Tom

svxfiles
09-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Hmm...this one's goin on the wishlist. Saw the install done at the meet..It is pretty painless. Though,admitedly, I need a haircut...so I can go job hunting....so this might be a few weeks off:(

Package sent Eric.:)
USPS today.
Thanks again.

cozykat
09-27-2007, 12:13 AM
I found a way to make the stock SVX rear anti-sway bar more responsive.
And by making the rear anti-sway bar effectively firmer, the SVX "turns in" better.:)
What you do is replace the bar end bushings with ones that I have made up.:)
The $20.00 covers two self lubricating bronze bushings, two grade 5 allen head 3/8" X 2" bolts, two self locking nuts, two rubber sleeves, packaging and mailing/shipping, in the lower 48.
When I first tried this mod on my polyurethane bushing, Koni, 15 min mod , special spring and spacer equipped Claret, I was very surprised at the difference.:D
Unless you have the poly bushings, don't bother, get them first!;)

Here is what you do.

Safely lift the rear of your SVX and install jackstands.
As always, SAFETY FIRST!

With two 12mm wrenches, remove the bolts that attach the rear anti-sway bar to the anti-sway bar links.

Pivot the bar down out of the way.

Pry the old black rubber bushings out of the ends of the anti-sway bar.
A 1/4" thick phillips screwdriver works well.

Wet the bushings with water and push them into place.

It seems to work best if you install the rubber bushing first, and then push in the bronze bushing.

Now swing the anti-sway bar into place, and push the allen head bolts into the links with the self locking nuts on the outside of the car.

Torque/tighten the bolts to 35 foot/pounds.

That's it.
Now go drive carefully and enjoy the greater control, and improved response!:D

Hey Tom,

I would like to buy the 20 minute $20 mod (aka rear stabilizer bushing upgrade). Do you have any pictures of where you are talking about... I am trying to imagine the work I will need to do but I always feel a little better if there is a picture or two to guide my imagination. :) Who knows what I'll end up drilling otherwise... :o

It's Just Eric
09-27-2007, 10:20 AM
Hey tom,
Thanks for sending the package out. When I install mine, Ill take some pictures so people can see how it goes together.

svxfiles
09-27-2007, 11:58 AM
Hey tom,
Thanks for sending the package out. When I install mine, Ill take some pictures so people can see how it goes together.

Thanks Eric!:)
I/We took pictures at the last cumberland Autocross get together, but no one has posted them.
I took pictures and was going to upload them today, but Diana must have the memory card for the camera.:o:confused:
I could run to i's work, but we are out of HIDs:eek: nd I have to drive halfway to PGH to get more.
Once someone gets under there it is very self explanetory, but I can understand that pictures will help.
MAYBE tonight we (Di) can fix it for me.:o
More later.
Tom

Sov13t
09-27-2007, 01:15 PM
Wait a second!?

I thought this was the "Young Tom would've been done by now!!!" mod?

:banana:

immortal_suby
09-27-2007, 02:59 PM
Got mine today, Thanks Tom!
I'll be installing them this weekend along with the 15 minute mod. I'll post up some pictures.

svxfiles
09-27-2007, 04:10 PM
Wait a second!?

I thought this was the "Young Tom would've been done by now!!!" mod?

:banana:

Go to your room!:mad: er, your chair!:p

immortal_suby
09-29-2007, 02:19 PM
Just installed both mods. I didn't take a single picture though :o

I need a new 3/8" drill bit. I killed 3 of them. Either all of my drill bits suck or those endlinks are made from kryptonite. Other than cursing out the drill bits, the installation went great! Thanks OT. Can't wait to try it out.

svxcess
09-29-2007, 11:54 PM

Since OT does not have his new locker yet, I am reposting his instructions, along with some photos we took, to help explain the installation in more detail. Before we begin, here is the parts diagram of the component parts that are involved in this upgrade:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/549/component_parts.jpg

The rear stabilizer bushing upgrade kit includes:

....Two self-lubricating bronze bushings (inserts)
....Two rubber sleeves (bushings).
....Two grade-5 allen head 3/8" X 2" bolts with two self-locking nuts

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/549/Rubber_bronze_inserts.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/549/rubber_bronze_bushing_2.jpg

The new bronze bushing inserts are much thicker and stronger and the rubber bushings are denser and firmer than stock. The new bolts are a lot stronger as well. See the bushing and bolt comparison photos below:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/549/Bushing_comparison.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/549/Stabilizer_bolt_1.jpg

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

...■ Using proper safety procedures, lift the rear of your SVX and install jack stands or use a lift.

...■ Using two 12mm box-end wrenches, remove the bolts and nuts that attach the ends of the rear anti-sway bar to the anti-sway bar links.

.....See first photo below (left side, rear shown):

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/549/swaybar_link_removal.jpg

...■ After removing the bolts, separate the anti-swaybar links from the anti-swaybar. Pivot the anti-sway bar down and out of the way.

...■ Grab the links, one at a time with a pair of Vise Grips, and with an electric or air drill, enlarge the existing holes in the links to 3/8". Start drilling through the existing bolt hole in one side of the link and continue drilling until you drill through the hole in the other side.

...■ Pry the old black rubber bushings out of the ends of the anti-sway bar. A 1/4" thick Phillips screwdriver works very well for this part.

...■ Lubricate the new rubber bushings with water and push them into place into the holes in the ends of the anti-swaybar.

...■ It seems to work best if you install the rubber bushing first, and then push the bronze bushing insert into the rubber bushing.

.....See photo below:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/549/bronze_bushing_install.jpg

...■ Swing the anti-sway bar back into place, with the ends back inside the links. Align the holes and push the allen head bolts through the links from the inside, with the self-locking nuts towards the outside of the car.

...■ The allen head bolts use a 5/16" allen wrench, (an 8mm allen wrench would work in a pinch)
...■ The new nuts use a 9/16" box-end wrench, (a 14mm box-end would work in a pinch)

...■ Tighten or torque the bolts and nuts to 35 ft./lbs

First and last photos below show driver's side installation. Middle photo is the passenger's side.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/549/Stabilizer_link_1.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/549/Stabilizer_link_3.jpg

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photopost/data/549/Stabilizer_link_endview.jpg

cozykat
09-30-2007, 12:34 AM
Thanks for uploading the photos John!!

I need to get with Tom and arrange to send him the $20! ;)

svxfiles
09-30-2007, 06:25 AM
Thanks John.:)

svxfiles
09-30-2007, 06:27 AM
Thanks for uploading the photos John!!

I need to get with Tom and arrange to send him the $20! ;)

I'll send them out tomorrow, Marisa.:cool:

TomsSVX
09-30-2007, 07:27 AM
1st of all how do you have 3 hands??? second on all... what extremity did you take the pictures with:eek::lol:

Tom

svxcess
09-30-2007, 10:40 AM
1st of all how do you have 3 hands???
second of all... what extremity did you take the pictures with? :eek: :lol:

Tom
1st of all... what is the 4th hand holding???
second of all...there's nothing extreme about it! :lol: :lol:

cozykat
09-30-2007, 02:54 PM
I'll send them out tomorrow, Marisa.:cool:

Thanks Tom!
I sent $21 through paypal today. I think the extra $1 should cover the 3.9% fee you incur. :)

94SubieSVX
09-30-2007, 09:54 PM
So OT, would I need the 15/15 and 20/20 mod to make a difference? If so would I be able to get it done when I come around on the 27th for the Autox? Thanks

TomsSVX
09-30-2007, 09:57 PM
So OT, would I need the 15/15 and 20/20 mod to make a difference? If so would I be able to get it done when I come around on the 27th for the Autox? Thanks

If this goes anything like last time... We will see about a dozen of these done... each more intoxicated than the last:lol::lol::barf:

tom

immortal_suby
10-01-2007, 07:10 PM
Great mods! Seat of the pants I could tell a difference in body roll around my favorite corners going to and from work today. :) It's amazing something that small would make that much of a difference. Well worth the money and time, Thanks OT!

SVXBart
10-01-2007, 07:16 PM
YT!

Third hand is mine!!!

TomsSVX
10-01-2007, 07:40 PM
YT!

Third hand is mine!!!

SHHHHHH I thought Tom had an edge for a minute!:lol::lol:

Tom

svxfiles
10-01-2007, 08:44 PM
Great mods! Seat of the pants I could tell a difference in body roll around my favorite corners going to and from work today. :) It's amazing something that small would make that much of a difference. Well worth the money and time, Thanks OT!

When I first did this mod I had to PM some of the "Inner Circle" to express my suprize at the effects of this lowley mod.:eek:
I named the PM, "Something Strange" because it was
strange/weird/wonderful to have such a responce from such a small mod!:o

svxfiles
10-03-2007, 08:05 AM
GTOSVX, Marisa, and Mike621 stuff sent!:)
Thanks.
BTW, here is a link to the fifteen Minute, $15.00 Mod thread.
http://http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27738&highlight=Fifteen+Minute+%2415.00+Mod

TomsSVX
10-03-2007, 08:57 AM
so.... we're doing mine on the 27th??

Tom

It's Just Eric
10-03-2007, 09:40 AM
Got mine a few days ago....Man, I hate to see what you do to christmas presents!:eek:
Needless to say it was well packaged. Im picking up my rear sway bar bushings today, and probably installing both tomorrow.

svxcess
10-03-2007, 10:21 AM
UPDATE: Additional photos added to the installation post above.

svxcess
10-03-2007, 10:29 AM
YT!
Third hand is mine!!!
And please tell us, just where is your other hand and what is it doing...?

It better be holding the camera! :lol:

SVXBart
10-03-2007, 07:33 PM
No John,camera was in Diana's hands!
I had beer in mine:D

svxfiles
10-03-2007, 07:35 PM
No John,camera was in Diana's hands!
I had beer in mine:D

And all was right with the world!:)

green_eyed_lady
10-09-2007, 12:20 AM
Got mine a few days ago....Man, I hate to see what you do to christmas presents!:eek:
Needless to say it was well packaged. Im picking up my rear sway bar bushings today, and probably installing both tomorrow.

Nah, he doesn't wrap Christmas presents that way, we don't have enough tape to wrap a full set of rotors and stainless steel lines (my Christmas present in 2005). :D

Isn't he romantic? <3 <3 Nothin says lovin' like auto parts!

shotgunslade
10-12-2007, 10:49 AM
The install is done. 20 minutes was about right, even for someone as wrench-klutzy as me. One question, the how-to says to torque the bolt to 35 ft-lbs. Unfortunately, the only torque wrench I have is the big one I use to torque my lugs. How critical is this number, and, if it is critical, what would you suggest I use to set it. Right now, they are exactly "pretty tight." meaning I didn't lean on the wrench real hard, but used some force.

I'm going up to Watkins Glen this weekend for a 2 day DE event with NASA-NE, will let everyone know if I notice any difference. Hopefully, the rear-end will not become so loose that I have a return of the dreaded full-throttle corner exit oversteer. Watkins Glen with miles of Armco is not the place for that to happen. I did have the car aligned by a non-dealer, who actually used my rear camber bolts to give me 1.5 Deg negative at the rear. I'm now running 1.25 negative at the front with the new 245/40-17 RE01-R's.

Thanks very much, Tom. I'm really looking forward to testing them.

SVXRide
10-12-2007, 10:55 AM
The install is done. 20 minutes was about right, even for someone as wrench-klutzy as me. One question, the how-to says to torque the bolt to 35 ft-lbs. Unfortunately, the only torque wrench I have is the big one I use to torque my lugs. How critical is this number, and, if it is critical, what would you suggest I use to set it. Right now, they are exactly "pretty tight." meaning I didn't lean on the wrench real hard, but used some force.

I'm going up to Watkins Glen this weekend for a 2 day DE event with NASA-NE, will let everyone know if I notice any difference. Hopefully, the rear-end will not become so loose that I have a return of the dreaded full-throttle corner exit oversteer. Watkins Glen with miles of Armco is not the place for that to happen. I did have the car aligned by a non-dealer, who actually used my rear camber bolts to give me 1.5 Deg negative at the rear. I'm now running 1.25 negative at the front with the new 245/40-17 RE01-R's.

Dan,
If your knuckles were starting to turn white when you tighten down, then you're fine:p I didn't read back through the thread, but are the nuts self locking (nylocks)? If they aren't, I'd suggest replacing them - given the driving you do;)
-Bill

shotgunslade
10-12-2007, 10:59 AM
They are nylocks. I wasn't worried about them coming off so much as having too much friction, if they were too tight, between the bushing end and the bracket on the rod.

SVXRide
10-12-2007, 11:02 AM
They are nylocks. I wasn't worried about them coming off so much as having too much friction, if they were too tight, between the bushing end and the bracket on the rod.

don't think you'll have a problem unless you tightened down so much that the end link's u-end started to distort.
-Bill

svxfiles
10-12-2007, 11:08 AM

The movement of the bar will overpower any over tightness of the bolt.:)
I would suggest that you try it out,IN A SAFE LOCATION before you hit the track!
Good luck and have fun!
Tom

shotgunslade
10-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Will be driving up to Watkins Glen, 4 1/2 hours, some country roads, but first opportunity to really test the grip will be the track. I'll definitely ease into it.

dromano
10-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Just finished this mod, 20 minutes turned into 3 hours. I removed the stabilizer links to do the drilling in a vise. Also cleaned and painted same. Had to remove rear wheels to remove the links. OT, one of the rubber bushings distorted when tightening was completed, any issues with that ? I used engine assembly lube on the new bushings, slid in easily. I long for the days when I worked in gas stations and had access to a rack, working on the floor sucks specially at 68, once in a while a doubt I can get on my feet, nothing a few vodkas can't fix.:D

svxfiles
10-14-2009, 03:56 PM
Just finished this mod, 20 minutes turned into 3 hours. I removed the stabilizer links to do the drilling in a vise. Also cleaned and painted same. Had to remove rear wheels to remove the links. OT, one of the rubber bushings distorted when tightening was completed, any issues with that ? I used engine assembly lube on the new bushings, slid in easily. I long for the days when I worked in gas stations and had access to a rack, working on the floor sucks specially at 68, once in a while a doubt I can get on my feet, nothing a few vodkas can't fix.:D

Are we seeing a pattern, D?:p

As long as the bushings look like they will still move you should be fine.:)

By comparison, Not so
"Old Tom"

dannmarr
11-01-2009, 11:52 AM
I just finished my installation and it took about three hours as well. Removing the old bolts and rubber was no problem. Drilling was also no problem. It was a pain to remove the new brass inserts from the new rubber for installation. I had to press them out! After installing the rubber to the link opening, it was a bigger pain to re insert the brass inserts into the rubber. I had to use liquid soap and a C-clap to slide them in. I had to do this a few times because it was so tight that the rubber would travel out the other end. The first bolt went in fine, but it was a fight to line up the holes on the second link. If I had a lift, maybe then I could have done it in 20 minutes. Anyway, all is done and I will take it out for a test drive. Thanks for the write up!

James Scott
05-26-2011, 08:25 PM
So Tom.. Is the new bushing a section of 3/8" fuel inj hose? Just wondering.. ? [Don't worry.. I just ordered the 20 Min MOD from y'all!] :confused:

Send quickly please ;) .. I'm not very patient :eek:

Thanks.. :D

svxfiles
05-27-2011, 12:57 PM
So Tom.. Is the new bushing a section of 3/8" fuel inj hose? Just wondering.. ? [Don't worry.. I just ordered the 20 Min MOD from y'all!] :confused:

Send quickly please ;) .. I'm not very patient :eek:

The package is now on the way.

Your Twenty Minute Mod is coming with;
two locking nuts,
two correct length bolts,
two self lubricating correct sized bronze bushings,
and two precut lengths of the appropriate rubber hose, as insulators.

When there is no need to reinvent the wheel, I do not.

I hope that you enjoy the attache case!

Di will be sending the Window Clings separately.

James Scott
05-27-2011, 01:47 PM
So... The hose insulators (new rubber bushings) are the reason this 20 Min MOD works.. right? In other words, the stiffness of the hose insulator is greater than the OEM rubber bushing.. . :confused:

I'm sure it will get here on Sunday.. so I can install 'em Monday! .. . :lol:

92 SVX
05-27-2011, 04:26 PM
So... The hose insulators (new rubber bushings) are the reason this 20 Min MOD works.. right? In other words, the stiffness of the hose insulator is greater than the OEM rubber bushing.. . :confused:

I'm sure it will get here on Sunday.. so I can install 'em Monday! .. . :lol:

:lol: I think the larger diameter bolt and bushing thickness probably have some to do with it too.

svxfiles
05-27-2011, 04:48 PM
:lol: I think the larger diameter bolt and bushing thickness probably have some to do with it too.

Yes.
Its like having two 24" tall tires.
The one with the bigger wheel,
with the harder rubber sill be stiffer!

James Scott
05-27-2011, 06:22 PM
OHHHHhhh!.. YAAAaaaah! Makes Cents .. ;)

James Scott
06-06-2011, 05:18 PM
Just did 20 Min MOD.. Like it TOO! :cool: