PDA

View Full Version : Color Opinions?

techy101
07-01-2007, 12:39 PM
I've got to pick a color for the SVX very soon. I know that the previous owners body work was good, but not perfect, so I'm looking for a color that will help hide some of those small imperfections. So black or white are pretty much out of the picture.

I'm looking for some ideas on nice colors that wouldn't bring every tiny imperfection screaming out, and would look nice on an SVX.

So far I've got a few ideas. There's Mitsubishi's "Graphite Grey Pearl" (the EVO MR Grey color), the Porsche "Seal Grey Metallic", BMW's "estoril blau metallic", or the new Subaru color for the Spec B. "Diamond Grey Metallic"

I'd like some other ideas on possible colors to make my final choice from.

Thanks,
Matthew

Darren
07-01-2007, 01:10 PM
I've got to pick a color for the SVX very soon. I know that the previous owners body work was good, but not perfect, so I'm looking for a color that will help hide some of those small imperfections. So black or white are pretty much out of the picture

If your going to all the expence and work to have the car repainted surely the obvious thing would be to sort the body work so thare isnt any imperfections, large, small or otherwise?

techy101
07-01-2007, 01:15 PM
If your going to all the expence and work to have the car repainted surely the obvious thing would be to sort the body work so thare isnt any imperfections, large, small or otherwise?

There is no expense involoved. Free paint job, but it's gotta happen asap, so I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of quality for the big F word.

I am working out as many of them as I can. But I don't think I can get it all perfect in a week, (plus this being my first time doing body work)

Kelvin
07-01-2007, 05:25 PM
I'd just wait on it. Rushed body and paint= twice as much work as fixing what was wrong in the first place.

Do it right, and you only have to do it once. Or don't do it at all.

techy101
07-01-2007, 05:28 PM
This issue aside, any thoughts on colors?

Kelvin
07-01-2007, 09:11 PM
Primer. It will hide the most defects.

svxxx26
07-01-2007, 09:23 PM
This issue aside, any thoughts on colors?

That issue aside, your original color choices were good - silver or a silver/grey metallic tends to be the best at not showing dirt, so I would assume it would not showcase small imperfections as well. :rolleyes:

It's Just Eric
07-01-2007, 10:50 PM
...White hides everything except a colormatch...and since itll all be sp0rayed at once....

Though, I will say Ive always wanted to see an svx in toyota's 1E0 with a black trunk and roof. It's the meduim charcoal color on scions that has the blue, green, and purple metallics in it. Very subtle in the shade, but it EXPLODES in the sun:cool: Go to a scion/ toyota dealership and see for yourself

PDSides
07-02-2007, 07:43 AM
Chrysler Corp has a great color that might work for you - Vanilla. Don't jump out of your seat! Yes, vanilla, very rich-looking, and if you were to do a contrast color on the deck, roof and spoiler (if you have a spoiler), it would look really great. In fact, a dark blue over vanilla would make a spectacular combination. Get down to your local Chrysler dealer and take a look - they often use it on Dodge trucks, a really nice color that will cover imperfections and will be easy to keep looking clean.
Preston

It's Just Eric
07-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Being the bodywork is good, but not perfect...why not take a little time, MAKE it perfect, then paint it whatever color you want without worrying? Lets face it...you cant hide bad bodywork with paint. It'll only exaggerate any imperfections

I mean, the vanilla in question is a good color for hiding crap...trust me, Ive seen it work its magic on a 300c..but it just screams "Too lazey to wash my car, so I picked a color that looks clean dirty and looks dirty clean" Why try to hide anything via color? Why pay for a paint job (Or get it free in this case) if you KNOW it isnt going to be absolutely perfect when its done?

Oh...right. cool colors...If they are crazey enough to do a 3 stage pearl, GM has a color called inca gold...Its white with a gold pearl mid coat. The good thing is, you can change out the gold for blue, green, purple, ect. to make a one-off color that looks classy AND pops out

Kelvin
07-02-2007, 01:08 PM
I feel the same way. I always thought an SVX would look great in one of chrysler's old minivan colors... it's a red metallic with a lot of flop, only it's very DARK.... only the highlights are actually red, the rest looks pretty much like merlot. That color with bronze rims would look pretty awesome too.

dcarrb
07-02-2007, 02:54 PM
Lets face it...you cant hide bad bodywork with paint. It'll only exaggerate any imperfections
So true; I know from experience. These flaws you scarcely notice now will be screaming at you once the car is painted, no matter the color.

dcb

Darren
07-02-2007, 03:24 PM
You could always do it the colour of my TVR in my locker pics,
I would love to see an SVX with that paint, so many lines and angles to change it.

budbaer
07-02-2007, 03:38 PM
I don't know how you feel about green but......... In 1982 Chevy had a color that they put on Corvettes called "silver green matalic" the chevy paint code is 40, the dupont stock code is B8286. It's mostly silver with a hint of green. I think it would really help hide any imperfections. I personally love this color of green, it's sporty and classy at the same time. No matter what color you choose, good luck and I hope it turns out great.

Alycone
07-04-2007, 12:11 AM
I've got some color options in my locker, but I dont really recommend actually using them.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Alycone|13445

(guess I better download my locker)

Kelvin
07-04-2007, 12:45 AM
Nice pallette. I rather like this one:

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Alycone/15648.JPG

Hospital? ha. It looks sophisticated and rather futuristic though. :)

techy101
07-06-2007, 11:11 AM
The car goes in a week from Monday. I'm busting my tail to try and get all the imperfections fixed. It appears that the previous owner primed the rear bumper skin right over shiny paint, or something else that caused it not to stick. I can pick the primer off very easily. So The paint's surely not going to stay on.

I'm stripping that whole thing down, and slowly working my way around the whole car filling and smoothing. Hopefully she turns out all right.

94SubieSVX
07-07-2007, 01:11 AM
I like the "grass" color...would look good with the '92 dark gray wheels

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Alycone/15646.JPG

rvnmaniac
07-07-2007, 07:46 PM
that was the one that caught my eye also. What kinda color is "hospital"?

Alycone
07-07-2007, 08:58 PM
Hospital = that pale green common in hospitals.

I rather liked cheddar.

:cool:

dannmarr
07-08-2007, 06:53 AM
Flat paint covers inperfections. I remember someone on the forum thinking of painting their car in flat black. Do a search, they had some photos too.

Hop
07-08-2007, 03:23 PM
I like the hospital color. I'd like to see it with a black spoiler to match the window shading and perhaps some darker wheels.

techy101
07-08-2007, 04:08 PM
I actually quite like the blood color. Any idea on a paint code that would be close to that?

redsvx
07-08-2007, 05:39 PM
In the 50's they used "flat black"
Hides everything :D

Seriously ... Silver, or grey is a great cover up.
But do some fine sanding and why not go bright red
Awesome!
Not that I am biased :p

odepaj
07-11-2007, 09:06 PM
In the 50's they used "flat black"
Hides everything :D

Seriously ... Silver, or grey is a great cover up.
But do some fine sanding and why not go bright red
Awesome!
Not that I am biased :p

Barcelona is not bright red :p ;) Brilliant Red is bright red :D :D

The SVX wears dark greys and silvers really nice IMHO.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/odepaj/33241.jpg

Dustin

budbaer
07-11-2007, 09:29 PM

The SVX wears dark greys and silvers really nice IMHO.
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/odepaj/33241.jpg

Dustin

Let's be honest, it wears any color well. You could paint one "Barbie Dream Vette Pink" and it would be a sharp car, a little sissified, but sharp none the less.

techy101
07-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Can anyone point me to a paint code or anything that would be like a deep blood red??

odepaj
07-11-2007, 09:41 PM
Let's be honest, it wears any color well. You could paint one "Barbie Dream Vette Pink" and it would be a sharp car, a little sissified, but sharp none the less.

I wouldnt say every color..........ive seen some bad color choices and really only think dark colors or vibrant (not specifying bright, just "vibrant") colors sit on the car in a pleasing way. Blue is a hard color for the SVX, greens aswell. I've heard Claret is a rich color but I think bourdeux is worn better (mostly because its a single color and not two-tone). I have pictures of an SVX that was completely re-done with yellow and pink and it is deffinetly not a good color. The shade of the color is a big deal when on an SVX also, some yellows make the car look cheap and show its age but others make the car look classy and timeless (find some pictures of Hucks yellow).

Dustin

odepaj
07-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Can anyone point me to a paint code or anything that would be like a deep blood red??

Find the factory paint code for Ruby Mica, thats a nice deep red. I've got some pictures if you wanna see it.

Dustin

techy101
07-11-2007, 09:54 PM
I'm looking for something like this, or even a bit darker.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/Alycone/13455.JPG

odepaj
07-11-2007, 10:00 PM
This is Ruby Mica
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxcess/37975.jpg

I dont think its as dark as the other color but its more vibrant and is worn alittle better.

Dustin

techy101
07-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Oooohhhh, I like that.

It's Just Eric
07-11-2007, 10:30 PM
Yeah...back when I wanted to paint my car, thats exactly what it was going to be. Bipa's car =)

Yeah...But I decided paint is a pita,and suprisingly, my 92 ebony shows absoluteyly no signs of previous paint work. If such is the case, ill just pdr the dings out and be prud to have an original finish

Of course, my mind changes on colors about as often as I do my laundry, so who knopws what my next post will say:D

odepaj
07-11-2007, 10:46 PM
The paint code for Ruby Mica is #265. Im not 100% on that but more than likely thats what it is, and should be listed as Swiss Ruby Mica or Crimson Mica.

Dustin

redsvx
07-12-2007, 08:55 AM

yah I know (sigh) I wish mine was a bright red ... but I'm happy with it the way it is :) at least I finally own one :D

Let's be honest, it wears any color well.
That's the truth ... it is an amazing original design that colour cannot take away!

SVXplorer
07-12-2007, 09:32 AM
If you aren't going to paint it a stock colour, go with Reflex Purple. Everything looks good in Reflex Purple... People will be too busy noticing that your car keeps changing colour to draw their attention to the imperfections.

It's Just Eric
07-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Oh god, dont even THINK of painting an svx in any kind of chamelion paint. First off, it wont hide a damn thing. Your "imperfections" will actlly be a DIFFRERNT COLOR! Secondly, the car just isnt curvy enugh for it to look right. I mean, itll be like "Wow...he spent alot of money on paint" instead of "WOW! he spent ALOT of money on PAINT!!....but that looks so cool)

Although, if you have the sudden urge to paint your car glow in the dark green, I wont stop you:D

techy101
07-12-2007, 09:51 PM
^^^ I'm going to have to agree with you. I think the color changing paint looks horrible, and makes you look like you're about to bust out with the "I live my life 1/4 mile at a time..." speech.

techy101
07-14-2007, 10:47 PM
I was at the dealership today, and talked to parts. There is a paint called "Mica Ruby Pearl" with paint code 947.

Can anyone help me confirm the color of the picture above?

Thanks,
Matthew

techy101
07-15-2007, 04:58 PM
Hrm, now I'm even more confused. The paint code 265 pulls up as Claret.

There is one called Mica Ruby Pearl with code 947, and another one that looks quite similar on the chip called Crimson Pearl Mica with code 309.

Can anyone help me confirm which color the car in the picture a few posts up is?? I quite like the color.

The car goes in tomorrow, so I need to figure it out quickly.

Thanks,
Matthew

XT6Wagon
07-15-2007, 05:39 PM
2004 F150 Dark shadow gray metalic. Various shades of it are used on all kinds of different fords, so you can find the exact shade you want...

It's Just Eric
07-15-2007, 07:53 PM
There was a thread in the uk section of the forums that clarified color codes and names......Found it. Here ya go
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36368&highlight=color

Seems like you need :
Red Mica 947 (JDM)

cozykat
07-15-2007, 08:29 PM
This color code is 247 :D
It's a deeper red than the barcelona

This is Ruby Mica
http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/svxcess/37975.jpg

I am having my car painted within a few weeks and I was having a hard time debating between this and my original barcelona red (color code: 372). I think It's Just Eric and myself think the same... I really wanted the Swiss/Rudy Red Mica for awhile but then ended up deciding it was best to stay original... but I still kinda fight with myself about it. :o

odepaj
07-15-2007, 09:11 PM
This color code is 247 :D
It's a deeper red than the barcelona

I am having my car painted within a few weeks and I was having a hard time debating between this and my original barcelona red (color code: 372). I think It's Just Eric and myself think the same... I really wanted the Swiss/Rudy Red Mica for awhile but then ended up deciding it was best to stay original... but I still kinda fight with myself about it. :o

I thought about repainting one of mine ruby mica also, so I guess the three of us think alike I also like bright red with a black top (almost brilliant red). :D I've got lots pictures with different shades of red with a black tops. Its my favorite two-tone on the car.

Dustin

techy101
07-15-2007, 09:23 PM
Out of curiosity, would the 947 be the same thing? Since I can't find 247 in any of the places that I'm looking codes up? Is that just because I'm in the USA?

It's Just Eric
07-15-2007, 09:33 PM
See what kind of chip samples maaco offers. I dont know what kind of system they use, but they may have spray-outs of the color in question used for colormatching. Worst case scenerio, you give them both codes, and have them mix up a few ounces of each for your comparison sake. It'll probably only be like 10$ worth of paint wastd, seeing as they can actually use the right color sample

cozykat
07-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Out of curiosity, would the 947 be the same thing? Since I can't find 247 in any of the places that I'm looking codes up? Is that just because I'm in the USA?
I dont know if color code 947 is the US translation of 247 as I haven't heard of any other SVX colors having a JDM translation or vice versa.
I would think you might be having trouble locating the color in any US color catalogs because it is was released only in Germany, Switzerland, and Japan from what I understand from John (svxcess).
That was another concern of mine when I considered painting my SVX this color. If I give this color code to my painter... will the color translate correctly here?
I have never heard of 947 before though. Sorry I don't know anymore.

techy101
07-15-2007, 09:39 PM
Off topic, why is your signature not valid in MN?:p

It's Just Eric
07-16-2007, 02:21 PM
read it on a cerial box when I was a kid....had something to do with a "free" toy they sent you when you mailed in box tops or something...

redsvx
07-16-2007, 11:46 PM
PPG paints shows this in their codes

372 - barcelona red - subaru 1993 - 1996
947 - mica ruby poly - subaru 1989 - 2000

I used the 372 to get my touch up spray can mixed. Matches perfectly.
What does the 'poly' mean :confused: metallic ?

techy101
07-17-2007, 12:02 AM
Well, took the car in today. And sssoommmeeehhhooowwwww the owner is on Vacation for 2 weeks. Keep in mind that today is the day he set with me to come in.

My hopes aren't to high that this will go well, but as it stands right now, no one there had any idea about this whole thing, and they're waiting for a call back from the owner.

While this pisses me off, what really gets me, is that they asked if I was the guy who "came barreling in and hit the honda." This is NOT what happened, and there are few things that really upset me like having my integrity challenged. I live by the phrase "A Mans Word Is His Bond."

I could keep ranting, but it's not going to do any good. So wish me luck, looks like I'll need it. I'll keep you guys/gals posted as to what happens.

I do have a signed/dated estimate showing a $0.00 cost for "refinish exterior of car" which is pretty vauge, but it's what I've got at the moment.

Oh, also went with code 947. The PPG rep happened to be there when I was there, and he couldn't find a 247 anywhere, even with multiple manufacturers.

odepaj
07-18-2007, 12:16 AM
Looks like a curb stomping is in order for the owner of that paint shop, my parents are gonna be up in duluth in acouple days and I'd go up and help you with that but I've got work :( Good luck with all that and I hope everything works out for you.

Dustin

Kelvin
07-18-2007, 12:31 AM
PPG paints shows this in their codes

372 - barcelona red - subaru 1993 - 1996
947 - mica ruby poly - subaru 1989 - 2000

I used the 372 to get my touch up spray can mixed. Matches perfectly.
What does the 'poly' mean :confused: metallic ?

Poly= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer

svxistentialist
07-18-2007, 02:52 AM
I dont know if color code 947 is the US translation of 247 as I haven't heard of any other SVX colors having a JDM translation or vice versa.
I would think you might be having trouble locating the color in any US color catalogs because it is was released only in Germany, Switzerland, and Japan from what I understand from John (svxcess).
That was another concern of mine when I considered painting my SVX this color. If I give this color code to my painter... will the color translate correctly here?
I have never heard of 947 before though. Sorry I don't know anymore.

Marisa

The jdm catalogues show 247, and possibly it would be easy enough to get one of the Australia owners to check the code on the VIN plate, or possibly Bipa, if anyone can contact her to check her Swiss car out.

This color was already in use before the SVX. [Estate, Legacy, Justy] That is why I think 947 is the US version, and it is likely that the 9 vs 2 part of the code refers either to a year or to a country rather than a different color mix.

Over here in Ireland I have seen that color on Foresters of around 99-2000 vintage. It is a very striking red.

If I was in your shoes, contemplating a color change to this color, and worried that the US mix was not the same as the jdm or Euro cars, here is what I would do; I would confirm from one of the Australian Ruby Mica guys what the code was on their cars. Then with a Google search I would contact an Australian paint supplier, and ask them to give you the detailed paint mix instructions for that Subaru code. I would refer that paint mix instructions to the US paint suppliers. If the paint mix is the same for 247 in Australia as it is for 947 in the US, then you are sorted, you can use the local mix.;)
[Or alternatively you can get them to mix up the 247 mix for you, now that you know how it is made:D ]

Joe:)

redsvx
07-19-2007, 08:06 AM
Poly= http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymer
Kelvin

... does that mean the Mica Ruby Poly is a better paint than the others or just has a special polymer blend?

you can always use animal fat to protect the paint (organic polymer?) http://www.optimumcarcare.com/evolution.html

techy101
07-24-2007, 08:38 PM
Got the car back from paint tonight. It's definetly not perfect. But it is pretty decent. I opted not to have them fill and block sand the hood, event though it needs it. It's going to be cheaper to replace the hood than they wanted to block sand it all. So that's why you'll see waves in the hood in the pictures. They flash seems to have made them look much much worse than they do in person. You really have to catch it in just the right light for them to show up.

It's surely a Maaco paint job. But it looks tons better than it used to. It was in the garage for pictures, and it was getting dark out so the color isn't really well represented either. I put the rear tail lights all back in tonight, and hopefully I'll have the rest of it put back together in the next week or two.

Next thing, get rid of those white wheels.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/techy101/SVX/Resized_Stuff005.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/techy101/SVX/Resized_Stuff006.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/techy101/SVX/Resized_Stuff009.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/techy101/SVX/Resized_Stuff010.jpg

It's Just Eric
07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
Hmm...Yep, that color is sex, even without the black top.
Looks pretty darn good for a free paint job man. I see what you mean by it's a maaco job...Other than the ignoramus tape up jobon that little rubber gasket between the thingy and the dodad, it came out good

Kelvin
07-24-2007, 10:37 PM
I noticed you took off all your plastic moldings to get it painted.... did any of the clips break? How hard were they to remove? I'm thinking about getting my car painted soon.... slightly concerned about that part.

94SubieSVX
07-24-2007, 11:51 PM
Other than the ignoramus tape up jobon that little rubber gasket between the thingy and the dodad, it came out good

Oh yeah that one lol

cozykat
07-25-2007, 03:41 AM
Hmm...Yep, that color is sex, even without the black top.
that's about what I was thinking....

i'm getting my car painted (was going to be monday) but now... maybe I will have to postpone the paint job to think about it..

code 947 or oem code 372.. what to do?!?

94SubieSVX
07-27-2007, 12:33 AM
If you aren't going to paint it a stock colour, go with Reflex Purple. Everything looks good in Reflex Purple... People will be too busy noticing that your car keeps changing colour to draw their attention to the imperfections.

Here's your the reflex purple you were talking about...I don't like it on the svx IMO.

cozykat
07-28-2007, 02:36 AM
Here's your the reflex purple you were talking about...I don't like it on the svx IMO.

Is this called reflex purple? [see attachment]

94SubieSVX
07-28-2007, 10:21 AM
yeah thats actually the link i tried to post, i guess it didnt work. Thats the one on ebay right?

Mike621
07-28-2007, 10:35 AM
I definitely am NOT a fan of reflex purple or "chameleon" as its referred to also. The Swiss Ruby looks nice, esp for free. My car is next in the paint booth. I just sent out the door and fender to be prepped and edged so that I can replace the damaged ones removed from my car. I hope the results are as expected, because I am paying for mine :-P .

94SubieSVX
07-28-2007, 10:40 AM
What color are you getting it painted? I was thinkin about gettin mine painted next spring once i can save up some extra $$$