PDA

View Full Version : DIY Swaybar Concept?

LetItSnow
06-07-2007, 07:13 AM
Stop me if you've heard this one before...

After some searching, I haven't seen anything along the lines of this solution for our dismal availability of suspension goods. I've seen a couple of pictures of the rear swaybar (anti-swaybar, call it what you will) on the SVX, and I just want somebody to verify that this thing is dead straight between the bushings.

If it is, then what's to stop us from ordering one of the bars in kit form from a performance shop for a reasonable price ($190-260, I've seen)? By just specifying length, diameter, and arm length, this shouldn't be unrealistic, yes?

I'd appreciate any input before I throw heaps more effort into this task.

Kelvin
06-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Sounds like a plan to me.

sicksubie
06-07-2007, 06:56 PM
check out mychailo's site.... He has done a ton of research on the svx's suspension

SVXRide
06-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Guess you could search and search to find a car with exactly the same dimensions. I just went ahead and used the stock bar as a template and bent up my own bar (4310 CrMo) and fabricated my own endlinks.
-Bill

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/SVXRide/21204.jpg

sicksubie
06-07-2007, 08:30 PM
where did you get the chromo from, what diameter, and how did you do the endlinks?

SVXRide
06-07-2007, 10:02 PM
where did you get the chromo from, what diameter, and how did you do the endlinks?

come on now, you want me to give away all my secrets?:D
-Bill
p.s. big freakin' diameter, metal supply shop in PA, blue-tipped wrench, heat treating shop in MD, race car parts shop for female threaded ends and heim ends, etc., etc.