PDA

View Full Version : new rims are on

Ricochet
05-18-2007, 07:38 PM
drove all over the place today enjoying the weather, got bored and snapped a couple pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Ricochet16/svxrims001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Ricochet16/svxrims002.jpg

fasdude
05-18-2007, 07:40 PM
Wow! They look great and match beautifully.

SSSVX
05-19-2007, 01:25 AM
looks good....but you need to show some interior pics too :D

Trevor
05-19-2007, 02:37 AM
Why, why, why, in the US is a wheel described as a rim? The rim is only part of a wheel, as any dictionary will disclose.:confused: Bloody well useless without hub and spokes.:p

I gather it is because no one has progressed from split rims and "lug" nuts. Again why not wheel nuts?:confused: Damn it I am old, but not that old fashioned.;)

Down this way, "mag wheels" is the stupid title amongst the stupid. Magnesium???? :rolleyes: What is wrong with an honest alloy wheel?:D

immortal_suby
05-19-2007, 06:30 AM
It's just popular thought over here
wheel usually refers to steel wheels
rim refers to a wheel that you wouldn't ever put a hubcap on.
and don't forget spinners!

Yes, we are butchers of the language. I blame MTV.

svxxx26
05-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Why, why, why, in the US is a wheel described as a rim? The rim is only part of a wheel, as any dictionary will disclose.:confused: Bloody well useless without hub and spokes.:p

I gather it is because no one has progressed from split rims and "lug" nuts. Again why not wheel nuts?:confused: Damn it I am old, but not that old fashioned.;)

Down this way, "mag wheels" is the stupid title amongst the stupid. Magnesium???? :rolleyes: What is wrong with an honest alloy wheel?:D

Funny, I've just been wondering about the way people use "rim" and "wheels". Back in the 60s, the term "mags" was very popular around this area. ANY custom wheel was called a mag. Never hear the term anymore. :rolleyes:

Earthworm
05-23-2007, 04:20 PM
They said "mags" as a short form for "Magnesium". My dad has a set of "mags" on his '69 Nova.

svxistentialist
05-23-2007, 04:50 PM
drove all over the place today enjoying the weather, got bored and snapped a couple pics

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Ricochet16/svxrims001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v260/Ricochet16/svxrims002.jpg

Looks cool Brian.

Nice rims.

;) :)

svxistentialist
05-23-2007, 04:59 PM

We are linguistically pedantic here in Ireland about wheels also Trevor!:D

I think the UK uses the same terminology. The word "wheel" as it applies to the car over here is only used to describe the complete unit, i.e. wheel plus tyre combination. This allows differentiation for the outlets who sell wheels and tyres.

Except that they normally inaccurately call the wheel part a "rim".:p

As for language corruption, personally I have a dislike for the tuner salespeople and magazine journalists who say "ally" when they are referring to alloy wheels.

Takes all sorts, I suppose:rolleyes:

lhopp77
05-23-2007, 05:20 PM

Actually we normally do call them "wheels", but then we do still use the term mags sometimes for other types of alloys based on earlier compositions.

But while on the subject we do chuckle a bit at the use of terms such as bonnet, screen, boot, etc. We don't use them. We have our own brand of English to include spelling and don't make any excuses for it. Seems we earned that right a bit over 200 years ago. ;)

We do of course have many anomalies in our brand of English, but then so do you pseudo monarchists. :)

Bottoms up!!!

lhopp77
05-23-2007, 05:20 PM
Removed duplicate post.

Myxalplyx
05-23-2007, 05:47 PM
Nice set of wheels you have. I am kinda surprised no-one said anything about the rivets yet. I likey though..

Wrong!! Urban dictionary....

--> http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rims

"The visible part of a car wheel. These parts are often highly customized by people who want to show off their car. They can be various colors. The most common colors are usually gold or silver. Some of these have special spinners in them so they spin even when the car is not in motion. Rims are one feature that set a car apart from being a stock model. Like jewelry for a car. Many people desire rims and will go to great lengths to acquire them. Some people may steal them off cars, car jack a person to get them, or kill somebody over them. They are often used as a status symbol."

Mind you, it has the other definition as well but in this case, a rim and wheel are pretty much the same.

BTW Trev--> I like the rims on your car. :p

Sean486
05-23-2007, 06:05 PM
They look awesome on the car. Good choice.

newsvx
05-23-2007, 09:04 PM
I kinda like the rims / mags / wheels - whatever those silver things with the black stuff surrounding them are. At least I "think" I like them........

BTW, no one mentioned the use of "wheels" as in, "I like your new set of wheels", referring obviously to the complete car, to include rims / mags / wheels ........ Of course, I am again showing my age with the use of "wheels" ....:D

Harry

Ricochet
05-23-2007, 10:23 PM
Nice set of wheels you have. I am kinda surprised no-one said anything about the rivets yet. I likey though..
You mean the little bling blings around the ouside? If I would have bought new I wouldn't have gone with these but they were the best used ones I could find.

Laxes
05-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Thoose are used?? Nice find dude, look really good. Would'nt have been able to guess that they were used. To me gun metal only looks good on a rim with a chrome lip, and rivets. So i really dig it : ).

Ricochet
06-03-2007, 03:32 PM
yeah they only had like 500 miles on them. I bought them from somebody off here..

SVX10
06-06-2007, 11:57 PM
Sweet rims :p

The last owner sure took great care of those for 500 miles...and he misses them ;)