PDA

View Full Version : So, I decided to try a new wax and entire car detail stuff...

nexus_7
05-05-2007, 10:58 PM
A little background...I have three cars currently. 92 silver (blown tranny so it just sits), a 94 Laguna Blue Daily driver, and a 2k Maxima Gray (old daily driver). I have never been good at waxing my own car...I attempt to do it 2-3 times a year, but I am just not good at it with standard wax. End up with swirl marks, white specks left behind, or what ever...I just suck. I cant do it with a buffer or by hand. So I decided to try a few new products...to me at least.

Items used:

Greased Lighting Orange Blast w/ Sunscreen PPE 30
rain-x Wash & Wax
Turtle Wax Clay Bar ice
ice Polish
Black Magic Express Spray Wax

It all started last weekend, was nice so I decided to buy some new car cleaning/detailing items. I started with some new dirt cheap soap: Greased Lighting Orange Blast w/ Sunscreen PPE 30 (what ever the hell that is) and did kind of a pre-wash. It seemed to do a nice job but what ever, soap is soap. I then used that new liquid Clay Bar and got kind of tired doing all three cars. Worked back and forth motion with some force and if there were spots that needed a little extra work well, more force was used. It was extreamly easy to use. Squirt it on the included sponge and go to town. Split up all the cars into 4 sections: Hood and front bumper, 2 sides, then roof and rear. Rub on with sponge and wipe with damp cloth, then dry off with micro fiber towel. Ok, arms sore but cars are looking good. Move onto ice polish. Even easier. Squirt on sponge and rub all over car. Let it sit and wipe off with micro fiber towel again. Cars look amazing. Fast forward a week. Silver car has a bunch of flower peddles all over it because well it is that time of year, we had about 3 5 minute rain showers threw out the week so they are all super dirty, and the maxima had a teridactital take a dump on it and was just nasty and the blue one just needs to look its best.

So today I decided to use that rain-x wash and wax combo. Again, soap is soap and it seemed to clean well. It was getting dark and late so I didnt have time to do the whole clay bar and ice polish deal. so I figured I would try that express spray wax. Spray on the foam, rub and you are done. The one can did about 4-5 cars worth. I always try to do the front of the hood and roof 3 times and any other place that gets rained on 2 times (so roof, hood and trunk) just because they take more abuse then the sides (my opinion just seems to make sense). So the one can did 3 full cars, the hood, roof and trunk 2 times, and the front of the hoof and spoilers a third time. The stuff really worked well. Nice gloss, no swirl marks, and was super easy. It just foams on and rub it off. It was getting rather dark and I didnt want to bring out the halogen lamps so I just went inside and got my little led head lamp I use for crawling around in my well crawl space. People were probably thinking some strange things looking at me.

Ok, so ICE items are VERY NICE!!!!!!! Express spray was is Easy and I can actually use it with out ruining my car because I suck. :)

Done rambling...

Greg

svxxx26
05-06-2007, 07:45 AM
I tried the Ice Polish after newsvx turned me on to at Reading. Real easy to use, no white residue and leaves a nice deep shine on a dark car (teal). You also don't have to be careful about not getting it on the black window trim.
I saw the Ice Liquid Clay Bar at the store, I'll try it.:)

nexus_7
05-06-2007, 09:34 AM
what is the difference between Polish and Wax any ways? DO I need to use both? one or the other?

Greg

UPnorth362
05-06-2007, 11:17 AM
You use polish after a wash, before a wax. dont want to use it all the time though. It is used to take out tiny swirls and scratches.
In my opinion the spray on waxes are good to use in between paste wax, but any reputable detail or auto body shop will tell you to use a good Carnuba wax at least in the spring and fall. Spray on wax just doesn't add the protection of a good heavy wax.
A good way to use past or solid wax is to apply it to a clean car, out of direct sunlight. and work one body panel at a time.

svxxx26
05-06-2007, 11:19 AM
what is the difference between Polish and Wax any ways? DO I need to use both? one or the other?

Greg

Good question. I looked at the bottle and although it calls itself a polish, it's described as a synthetic wax. Soooo.......:confused: :D

By definition, at least in the past, a wax has been for protection and a polish just for maximum shine. With all the new technology nowadays, I think that line is disappearing.

svxxx26
05-06-2007, 11:21 AM
You use polish after a wash, before a wax. dont want to use it all the time though. It is used to take out tiny swirls and scratches.
In my opinion the spray on waxes are good to use in between paste wax, but any reputable detail or auto body shop will tell you to use a good Carnuba wax at least in the spring and fall. Spray on wax just doesn't add the protection of a good heavy wax.
A good way to use past or solid wax is to apply it to a clean car, out of direct sunlight. and work one body panel at a time.

Not saying I would recommend this, but reading right off the bottle of Ice Polish - it says with this product it makes no difference whatsoever if you apply it in direct sunlight or not.

nexus_7
05-06-2007, 12:04 PM
When I ice polished I did one car in direct sun light and it worked just the same as the other 2.

So I am supposed to: Wash, Clay bar, Polish then Wax?

I agree, real wax is the best. I will continue to try new ones to find what I personally am able to use.

Greg

GOT2HAVESVX
05-06-2007, 02:15 PM
I went to WM and bought a bottle of the ice polish and it took Dillon all of 30 minutes to do both cars! They are slick as glass and shiny shiny shiny. If I had my grass all perfectly mowed I would take some pics! But I dont so.....:) :D

ensteele
05-06-2007, 03:36 PM
I went to WM and bought a bottle of the ice polish and it took Dillon all of 30 minutes to do both cars! They are slick as glass and shiny shiny shiny. If I had my grass all perfectly mowed I would take some pics! But I dont so.....:) :D

We won't look at the grass, so take some pictures. :D :D

svxxx26
05-06-2007, 03:45 PM
When I ice polished I did one car in direct sun light and it worked just the same as the other 2.

So I am supposed to: Wash, Clay bar, Polish then Wax?

I agree, real wax is the best. I will continue to try new ones to find what I personally am able to use.

Greg

This is what I would do: Wash, clay bar, wax, then polish.

svxxx26
05-06-2007, 03:46 PM

Yeah that Ice Polish is some pretty slick stuff. I'm sold on it. :)

ensteele
05-06-2007, 04:00 PM
I will have to give it a try. :)

Anyone know where I can get more "elbow grease"?? :confused: :rolleyes: :D :D

svxxx26
05-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I will have to give it a try. :)

EArl, I find that lifting 12 oz. weights on a regular basis gives me plenty of elbow grease. Even if it doesn't, I still feel better about it :) :rolleyes:

Hop
05-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Anyone know where I can get more "[B]elbow grease[/B :rolleyes: :D :D

I found the 'elbow grease'. I have 3 vehicles so I pay different neighborhood kids $5 ea and tell them that I'm testing different waxes. The wax is usually the same but what do they know. I then tell them that whatever car looks the best gets an extra $5. These kids have so much energy that I get tired watching them.

It works well and makes those 12oz curls all that much sweeter. Greg

Gizmotronicus
05-07-2007, 12:36 AM
This is what I would do: Wash, clay bar, wax, then polish.

If you want to polish the wax off then this is the way to go. :p Actually you want to wash, claybar, polish then wax. I personally use a 6 step Menzerna system on my STi that makes for some AMAZING results that last.

svxxx26
05-07-2007, 03:34 PM
If you want to polish the wax off then this is the way to go. :p Actually you want to wash, claybar, polish then wax. I personally use a 6 step Menzerna system on my STi that makes for some AMAZING results that last.

Yes, but the Ice Polish is really a synthetic wax.;)

It's Just Eric
05-08-2007, 11:00 PM
wash, clay, polish, wax. Claybar / polish can be omitted for most washes. Personally, I get the car clean, and just wipe it daily with a microfiber towel (a little spray detailer may be needed if the birds ate early that day)
Then again, I also wax the car at least once a week with Mcguire's NXT Tech wax...so if the dust DOES make any light scratches, its A) only in the wax and B) gone when I re-wax

ensteele
05-08-2007, 11:22 PM
I usually do the same thing. A clay bar is only needed for a good cleaning and any debris on the paint. Detail spray helps a lot and keeps the car so the dirt won't stick as bad. :)

svxxx26
05-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Then again, I also wax the car at least once a week with Mcguire's NXT Tech wax...so if the dust DOES make any light scratches, its A) only in the wax and B) gone when I re-wax

:eek: :eek: I wish I had that energy! (and time ;) )

I may wax 4 times a year at the most, usually it's only twice. I'm just real fanatic about keeping it clean and it spends most of it's time in the garage.

ensteele
05-10-2007, 10:05 AM
Try that with as many as I have. :rolleyes: :D :D

Crazy_pilot
05-10-2007, 10:43 AM

I guess you must run out, what with 13 cars to do.:D :D

kis86
05-10-2007, 10:50 AM
Ugh, I've only started a few months ago and already have two :p It's crazy...I've never been the type to have more than one car! But I guess it's like buying clothes; once you find something you like, you have to get it in every color lol.

Anyway, let's get some pics!! :cool:

Gizmotronicus
05-11-2007, 09:34 AM

The Menzerna stuff is too though. :confused: It also costs probably five times as much though.. :D

GOT2HAVESVX
05-11-2007, 06:28 PM

FUNNY ABOUT ICE POLISH!

OK the day after Dillon Ice Polished my car I was filling it up with gas and I leaned up against the car and after a second put my foot on the concrete thingy the gas pumps are on, well I had the slick dress pants on and I lost my balance and almost fell! I decided not to lean on my car again! :o :o :rolleyes:

odepaj
05-13-2007, 03:51 PM
Which would be better? The Ice Synthetic Wax or Meguiars NXT Tech Wax? I like the fact that the Ice is synthetic and can be used in direct sunlight (I dont have a garage and live in Texas, so its impossible to get the entire car out of the sun:( ). Right now im using Turtle Wax F21 and its really nice but I want to upgrade :). Opinions anyone? I have a red and a black, so I have problems with oxidation and also the problems that come with a black car :(, the pearly is easy to clean though :D.

Dustin

svxxx26
05-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Which would be better? The Ice Synthetic Wax or Meguiars NXT Tech Wax? I like the fact that the Ice is synthetic and can be used in direct sunlight (I dont have a garage and live in Texas, so its impossible to get the entire car out of the sun:( ). Right now im using Turtle Wax F21 and its really nice but I want to upgrade :). Opinions anyone? I have a red and a black, so I have problems with oxidation and also the problems that come with a black car :(, the pearly is easy to clean though :D.

Dustin

Dustin - my advice is try them both and see what you like. Asking for advice on wax is like asking the question "what oil should I use?" ;) :D

Personally, if I had issues with not being able to wax without being in the sun, I'd give the Ice Synthetic a try, since it definitely states that it's safe to do so. It leaves a great shine and it's the easiest - and fastest - wax I've used. It also seems to work especially well on dark colors.

Earthworm
05-17-2007, 08:26 PM
Another wax that fits in the same category is Eagle One NanoWax. Super easy to apply and looks great.

Earthworm
05-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Anyone know where I can get more "elbow grease"?? :confused: :rolleyes: :D :DYou may want to try these guys:

http://kalecoauto.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=32

It's Just Eric
05-18-2007, 09:22 AM
Your best bet on wax is go to the store, and buy anything that just screams "I WORK THE BEST" Usually itll be printed in similar words right on it. It also seems the more technilogical style words that are on it, the more likely itll work. Dont read the ingredients, its all the same...

No, but seriously, I was like...Mothers carnauba wax fanatic...Then the painter I worked with reccomended the NXT...So I bought a tin, and waxed two panels next to eachother on my sister's very, very not shiny station wagon. The NXT definently looked deeper, and bought the color out more.. Compared to the carnauba, it had a yellow cast. Being a synthetic wax, Im going to assume it has the same uv blockign addictives that most clearcoats have (I used to stare at paint for a living....99.8% of the worl;d populus wouldnt have noticed)

My thing on wax...ANY wax. I hate liquid waxes. A bottle is only good for like 6 waxes, and it usually smears, smudges, doesnt dry too ell, ect. I alwase use a paste...Usually they'll make the same wax in both forms. Big plus is pastes can be used in the sun

green_eyed_lady
05-18-2007, 12:59 PM
Ugh, I've only started a few months ago and already have two :p It's crazy...I've never been the type to have more than one car! But I guess it's like buying clothes; once you find something you like, you have to get it in every color lol.

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!!!!!! :D :D :D

ensteele
05-20-2007, 06:44 PM

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN!!!!!!!

I don't. :rolleyes: :D :D :D

kis86
05-21-2007, 07:19 AM
Hmmm...must be a girl thing ;)