PDA

View Full Version : Need to find the signal type for DCCD gearbox

Dessertrunner
04-27-2007, 03:58 AM
Matt has suggested I look at putting a WRX DCCD 5 speed in my SVX this would let me get more traction on sand as I can lock the front and back drives.. I am planning driving accross the Simpson Desert here in Australia. I need to find out what the singal is that controls the DCCD unit.

svxsubaru1
04-29-2007, 01:16 PM
You would get more information about this on www.nasioc.com , since many members have swaped 6mts into their older subie chassis.

TomsSVX
04-29-2007, 05:06 PM
they are a variable signal like our transfer clutches... bets thing to do is pick up an aftermarket controlled like I plan to do sometime soon

Tom

dynomatt
04-29-2007, 07:49 PM
Tony has a 5 speed...so his options are to adapt the simpler 5 speed DCCD arrangement (from JDM STi's) which doens't require the same complexity of controller, or consider a full 6 speed DCCD swap which would then need the controller you mention.

M

TomsSVX
04-30-2007, 07:20 AM
it is my understanding that the DCCD controller for a 6mt is the same or very similar to one from a 5mt(I know the jdm 5mt's had DCCD). I am pretty sure the controllers can be used with either but w/o one it is merely an open diff

Tom

dynomatt
04-30-2007, 04:21 PM
My understanding was different. I understood that the 6 speed used a range of inputs (TPS, brake switch, ABS rings and possibly a yaw sensor) to calculate the best setting.

Whereas the 5 speed was simply an adjustable knob...nothing smart. Could be wrong though.

M

TomsSVX
04-30-2007, 07:57 PM
the 6mt is the same way. BUT there is a computer for when in "automatic mode" that takes into account the inputs from the listed sensors. There is also a scroll wheel like the 5mt's

Tom

Dessertrunner
04-30-2007, 09:58 PM
The best option for me is to get a Forester gearbox which gives me high and low and then find a way to put the SVX Auto clutch in it failing that the DCCD from either a 5 or 6 speed. I don't need its auto ability I just need to be able to turn it on when I am in trouble. Tom do you think we can fit the clutches from the Auto Tranny?
Tony

TomsSVX
04-30-2007, 10:39 PM
again... No you cannot adapt the auto clutches to work in an MT... Get a DCCD 5spd or 6spd and buy and aftermarket controller... This is your only way to be able to modulate your center diff... end of story

tom

Dessertrunner
05-01-2007, 02:21 AM
thanks Tom saw your answer in the other section after I asked the question here. Do you know if anyone has asked Subaru how much a new DCCD unit is worth in the USA. They told me $7,000 in Australia the other day.
Tony

TomsSVX
05-01-2007, 07:05 AM
are you looking for just the DCCD center diff and not the whole gear box??? Don't bother trying to convert. Its best to purchase a used box. A good trans here costs $3800 for everything you will need(6mt) and a good controller costs about $500. I think you would be better off with a 6mt over the 5 because of the close gear ratios. This way you can get optimal torque for about any driving situation you find yourself in. which I know from personal experience is great while off roading

Tom