PDA

View Full Version : Best degreaser,engine cleaner, etc.

subru92svx
04-14-2007, 03:00 AM
I was taking to my friend about wanting to cleaning my engine and my intake while it was off the engine. He told me about an engine degreaser that he had used and said was amazing so I decided to give it a try. It is sold at NAPA and is called Super Clean and comes in a purpe container. It is sold in a spray bottle(5.99) a gallon jug(10.99) or a 5 gallon jug(24.99). I bought the spray bottle because I didn't want to waste my money if the stuff sucked like I thought it might. I got it home and sprayed it over and inside my intake my intake which had 145,000 miles worth of built up gunk inside. After about 10-20 seconds you could see the grim just melting away. I let it sit on my intake for about 10 mins then hose it off. I did this twice and my intake looks like new. I then sprayed it all over the top of my motor making sure not to get it in any open hoses and such. Just like the intake the gunk just started melting away. It took me about an hour with cleaner,water, and a toothbrush for certain spots, but my motor is almost as clean as new. I love this stuff and highly recommend it. Best cleaner/degreaser I have ever used. Theres a long list of stuff on the back of the bottle it can be used on too. Just thought I'd share this product.

ensteele
04-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks for the review on this product. Are you going to make it to the Maintenance Meet in Burlington at the end of the month? If so, bring the degreaser along so we can see it. If you are not sure of what meet I am talking about, you can Click here for more informaton. (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=38432)

Hope to see you there. :) :)

NikFu S.
04-14-2007, 11:47 AM
Super Clean is not exactly a trade secret.

It really does work well, though.

svxxx26
04-14-2007, 01:34 PM
Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try. I'd never heard anything about it. I've tried Gunk degreasers which work OK but you have to deal with the trademark smell for a week or two.

subru92svx
04-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Hey Ensteele, yeah I'm not sure if I will be able to make it to the meet yet. Hopefully I will be able to though. I love looking at other people SVX's and getting a chance to show mine off. I just thought I'd mention Super Clean because I had never heard of it before my friend mentioned it. I figured there were some other people out there that hadn't either.

ensteele
04-14-2007, 02:05 PM
I had not tried it before, but you never know if it is a good product or not. It is always good to have somebody report on the results so that if it is not a good product, you don't waste your money on it. Hope to see you at the meet. :)

ensteele
04-14-2007, 02:06 PM
Super Clean is not exactly a trade secret.

It really does work well, though.

Nobody said it was a trade secret, but we don't know that it works unless someone is willing to let us know that it works. I buy too much stuff that doesn't work and waste my $$.

NikFu S.
04-15-2007, 05:06 AM
To date I have not met a person that didn't know what Super Clean was. I was under the impression it is one of if not the most popular degreasers in the US. :confused:

svxxx26
04-15-2007, 07:32 AM
To date I have not met a person that didn't know what Super Clean was. I was under the impression it is one of if not the most popular degreasers in the US. :confused:

Well Nick - now you have. Sorry I'm such a degreaser NOOB. :rolleyes:

Any other degreaser facts I should be up on?;)

ensteele
04-15-2007, 10:11 AM
Now you have met 2. You should post some good information on detailing and cleaning engines since you are so experienced on this. :)

I have used lots of degreasers, but this is one that I wasn't farmiliar with. :o

ssnsltd
04-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Castrol Super Clean has been around for awhile, I have been using it since '99. There are now several variants (one for tires and brake rotors) of it. They do work well but the down side to using it and "Purple Power" or "Simple Green" type cleaners is they way they break up/down the oil and grease allows it to flow right on through an oil water separator and into the normal water supply.

I don't know if the Orange based cleaners do that or not.

newsvx
04-16-2007, 07:39 AM
I would NOT recommend Simple Green - it attacks the aluminum and makes it look terrible .....

Harry

ensteele
04-16-2007, 10:31 PM
I have heard the same thing about Simple Green. Some of the Orange cleaners work great. :)

Nomake Wan
04-16-2007, 10:59 PM
So does Super Clean also attack the aluminum? ssnsltd said that Simple Green is a type of Super Clean, it's why I ask...

subru92svx
04-17-2007, 05:12 AM
I believe almost any of those cleaners will damage aluminum if you let the cleaner sit long enough. I think I also read something on the back of the bottle saying not to let it sit to long on certain items. Then it told you what water to cleaner ratio you should mix it to clean a variety of things. I'd have to take a look at it again. I didn't have any problems with Super Clean other than it left a few bolt heads and a few little over spray spots on my motor white, but I just used a rag and wiped them off and they were fine. Just make sure you rinse whatever you are cleaning after you are done using the cleaner on it.

benebob
04-17-2007, 01:44 PM
For painted surfaces a kitchen cleaner like Greased Lightening or similar works great. Just clean it off good as you go as it isn't made for cars but is cheap, easy to use and fairly eco friendly.

Earthworm
05-17-2007, 08:00 PM
I too have used Super Clean but those fumes are horrible! Cleans great though.