PDA

View Full Version : UK 10th Anniversary Meeting

svxistentialist
04-24-2002, 02:11 PM
Would any UK members[or others interested] looking in please post on this thread their interest in attending a meet?

It has been mentioned on Yahoo, but not followed up. Some South of England location would seem to suit most, but it is wide open for suggestions.

Say if you would, where you are, where you might fancy as a venue, and a likely timeframe.

TIA

Joe

LarryIII
04-24-2002, 07:20 PM
Joe,

I feel for you. With the channel tunnel now open, I suggest a central European location for the Meet.

If you can't get anyone interested you are always welcome at Indiana in July with us colonials.

If you need help or just someone to listen, send me an e-mail.

Good Luck.

Larry III

svxistentialist
04-25-2002, 12:31 AM
Thanks Larry,

I'm aware of the superhuman effort you have made to get the numbers for Indiana. If I win the lottery......

We do not need to go for numbers on this one. Three or four would make it worthwhile, less than 10 a party. Come on, log in, it's Jubilee year.

Joe:)

Phil Hill
04-25-2002, 02:43 AM
svxistentialist

I remember the yahoo thread, but didn't keep track of it so didn't realise it sort of died out.

Yes, we're interested and just about anywhere in UK is ok, folks live in the south so no problem there.

Phil.

MartyMcFly
04-25-2002, 04:04 AM
I would prefer a meeting in middle of Europe!
That would be a great chance for me to meet other SVX'sers.
If I had the money, I would fly to US and join a meeting there.

Tell me if such a meeting takes place.

mfg hrc

svxistentialist
04-25-2002, 11:41 AM
is probably off the menu for this year Marty, but once members get together, anything, anywhere is possible next year. We could invite some of our US chums to come over, they'll have got over the fear of flying by then.

Can you make England?

Joe

svxistentialist
04-25-2002, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by Phil Hill
svxistentialist

I remember the yahoo thread, but didn't keep track of it so didn't realise it sort of died out.

Yes, we're interested and just about anywhere in UK is ok, folks live in the south so no problem there.

Phil.

Phil, I will email any I know expressed interest, see if they are still on. Also, I will find the list of suggested events and locations on Yahoo.

The boys in the backroom here can devise a poll, if we get a few interested, we can check out accommodation and so on.

Joe

Andy
04-25-2002, 03:32 PM
Would love to meet up if it coincides with my already arranged trip to England (9th to 16th June)

Andy

LarryIII
04-25-2002, 05:57 PM
Hey All You SVXers across the pond in the place Columbus came from, I hope you all meet up and have a great time.

From one of the Colonists who drives an SVX.

Larry III

svxistentialist
04-26-2002, 05:33 PM
Having done a little digging, the following were the main events that were put forward as possibles:

Richdev65 originally suggested a restaurant in Devon where he had meetings for the Alvis Club. Sounds ideal. Any time.

Arthur610 researched the following;

Beaulieu Autojumble, 19-20 May and 7-8 September.

Goodwood Festival of Speed 12-13-14 July

Brooklands Circuit. No special event, so dates open.

Heritage Motor Centre 14 July

Beaulieu and Goodwood were both noted to be overcrowded, difficult for accommodation, impossible for photo of cars together.

That leaves Devon, Brooklands and the Heritage Centre as reasonable events to put a date on. My own preference would be for Devon or Heritage Museum.

Can any interested parties reading this indicate their interest and their preference??

Thanks

b3lha
04-27-2002, 07:43 AM
Hi,

Thanks for the email Joe.

We'd definitely be up for a meet anywhere in the South of England. Devon is particularly good for us.

Phil & Belha.

Arthur-UK
04-27-2002, 08:03 AM
Joe, well done, apathy almost rules !

I will be going to:

Beaulieu Autojumble, 19-20 May (0n 19th) and 7-8 September. (on 7th)

Probably Goodwood Festival of Speed 12-13-14 July (on 12th)

Probably Supercars at Heritage Motor Centre 14 July

Also French cars (Alpine A610 amongst others) special event at Beaulieu on 10-11th August.

The Yahoo site is now unuseable and given the useless "last40" search engine I hardly bother to check it anymore.

svxistentialist
04-27-2002, 08:28 AM
for dropping in.

Seems we may be able to do something all right. I have also emailed the Yahoogroup set and another SVX eclub, so we may, probably will get a few more replies.

We can wait a week or so to ensure all parties have got the mail, anyone interested at that stage, we go to Defcon 2, and set it all up.

Joe:D

Andy
04-27-2002, 12:32 PM
My dates in the UK have now changed to 7th June until 14th June.
Tied up on 14th (Interbuild 2002) but would like to meet up at any other time.

Andy

svxistentialist
04-27-2002, 03:07 PM
Thanks Andy

We are waiting till all interested have expressed an interest and a preference. If we are not going for any of the set events, it would be great to have you included, and try to work with your dates.

We will see how it unfolds. June is often the sunniest month of the year, might suit very well.

Joe

SVX_Murf
04-28-2002, 04:16 AM
Hi everyone

I am willing to travel from Aberdeen to a location in the UK or Ireland, mid summer suits me best. Distance no object.

regards

Chris Murphy

svxistentialist
04-28-2002, 04:19 PM
Thanks Chris,

Good to have you drop by. June or July does look likely, and probably Deep South of England. Not definite yet, but in a week or two we will hopefully have it all set out and ready to roll.

MartyMcFly
04-29-2002, 01:19 AM
The European Section is growing.
GREAT

It's not possible for me to do the trip to England this year, cause
I have already planned my holidays.
But next year, if I know the exact time and place for a meeting
it will be possible.

thanx and good luck for this years meeting

svxistentialist
05-05-2002, 10:20 AM
We have had no extra entries expressing interest in the UK meet. To all interested, I propose that later in the week when the public holiday is behind us, we do a posting to those left in the interest pool, and decide when and where it happens.

Anybody else coming in at a later stage will be welcome, but the event will have been set and decided.

Andy
05-05-2002, 11:20 AM
Thanks for all the effort. If I can be there I will.

Touch bases later in the week

Andy

svxistentialist
05-09-2002, 04:21 AM
These are the people who have recently said they will travel to the UK meeting. Some of these handles are Yahoo!, but you all know who you are.

{This is a duplication. I could not get DELETE to work}

Joe

svxistentialist
05-09-2002, 04:29 AM
These are the people who have recently said they will travel to the UK meeting. Some of these handles are Yahoo!, but you all know who you are.

We have a possible 8 cars, so maybe 16+ people if all turn up.
Andy from Guernsey can only come if it happens from 7th to 15th June, which would suggest weekend of 7-8-9 June. Obviously we can only do this date, or any other, if it suits the majority who are willing to travel.

Names as follows: please respond to the mail, say if 7-8-9 June suits.

SVXMurph Chris from Aberdeen
B3hla Phil & Belha from Bucks
tonyshaleUK Tony Shale
Richdev65 Richard from Devon
Arthur610 Arthur Monks from Hamps
Svxistentialist Joe from Kildare Irl
Phil Hill Phil from Lincs
Andy Andy from Guernsey

There is another few who may make it depending on when and where. Let's set it up for the group above, and then notify the rest it's on.

Would like to get it sorted this week, I for one have to book ferries etc. Richdev65, please email me about restaurant and accommodation in your neck of the woods.

Thanks for the interest folks, we can make this a fun weekend.

Joe

PS Just discovered from She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed that most of June is out for me, our daughter is doing exams. 15-16 may be possible, and 29-30 also, otherwise I am into July.

Andy
05-09-2002, 11:23 AM
My dates are now 2nd to 9th June (confirmed and paid for.) Tied up on 9th already and the SVX will be in hospital for its medical on 5th (Wed)

Andy

Phil Hill
05-10-2002, 01:07 AM
Joe

Same as before, still interested. My version of "she who must.." etc won't get her shift pattern 'till late May/early June. I'm sure she'll try to re-arrange if there's a clash.

As a location Gaydon Heritage Museum is good, centrally located and easily accessed from M40. Also it's close to Stratford, Warwick, Lemington Spa etc so good to make a weekend of it if required.

Phil.

LarryIII
05-10-2002, 04:49 AM
Joe

Same as before, still interested. My version of "she who must.." etc won't get her shift pattern 'till late May/early June. I'm sure she'll try to re-arrange if there's a clash.

As a location Gaydon Heritage Museum is good, centrally located and easily accessed from M40. Also it's close to Stratford, Warwick, Lemington Spa etc so good to make a weekend of it if required.

Phil.

We colonials wish you all have a terrific time.

"BLOODY GOOD SHOW & GOD SAVE THE QUEEN !!"

Larry III

Beav
05-10-2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by svxistentialist
is probably off the menu for this year Marty, but once members get together, anything, anywhere is possible next year. We could invite some of our US chums to come over, they'll have got over the fear of flying by then.
Joe

I have no fear of flying, however I do have this deep-seated concern about the in-flight bar running out of booze.... ;)

svxistentialist
05-10-2002, 06:06 PM
Know what you mean Beav.

I too promised my little woman there'd be no more flying without one o' them thar airyplanes.

:) :)

TonyShaleUK
05-11-2002, 04:24 AM
I'm in. I am in the Midlands, so not too bothered where the meet is. Dates at the moment are flexible. Sorry to be non-committal on the detail!!

b3lha
05-11-2002, 04:18 PM
Hi

8/9, 15/16, 22/23, and 29/30 June are all OK for us. As is 6/7 July.

We plan to go to the Goodwood Festival of Speed on 13th July (might see some of you there?). On 21st July we are going to the Uxbridge Auto Show. Middlesex Auto Club run an Auto Test at the show and we usually enter in our Justy. (No competition license required!) It's great fun powersliding around traffic cones in a field with the odd handbrake turn thrown in for good measure.

27/28 July should also be OK.

We're just hoping our rear diff will last until the Meet. It currently sounds as if we have another engine in the boot. We'd hate to miss it because the SVX was off the road.

Phil & Belha.

TonyShaleUK
05-12-2002, 02:21 AM
7, 8, 9 June good for me.

Dates not available

1, 15 & 22nd June
6 & 7 July (open air concerts in Midlands)

Looking forward to this - well done the organisers!! Is this being posted un the SVXUK club site as well?

svxistentialist
05-12-2002, 04:22 PM
Thanks for chiming in guys.

If we can go for 7,8,9 June, pretty soon really, we would be able to include Andy. If most are happy with that, we could set a venue. I can probably come those days myself, but had hoped to bring the family, which is not possible that weekend.

Tony, I have posted up links on the SVX UK Yahoo! site, but not many use it. I will send a general mail to the group tomorrow to see who responds.{with trepidation... last time someone sent me back a virus!}

I have direct email addresses for some members, and will send a mail to them also tomorrow to confirm. If we are not opting to pair it with some set motoring event, it may be easier to get accommodation and so on.

Two possible targets would be go to Richdev's place in Devon[or is it Taunton?] book the restaurant, do a local tour, or go to Beaulieu Motor Museum for the day, nice down there in the New Forest too, but we can do whatever suits most. I am hoping Richdev65 will respond, and do some research for us. I am looking forward to it too, a break would be welcome.

Joe:) :D

Andy
05-12-2002, 04:34 PM
The ideal for me would be Beaulieu on 7th June as it ties in perfectly with everthing else I have planned for my whistlestop tour. (And there is plenty there to keep the kids quiet.) But if need be, I will be flexible.

Andy

b3lha
05-17-2002, 04:40 PM
Hi,

8/9th June are fine for us, as mentioned before. We'd prefer Devon, but will go wherever the group decides.

Phil & Belha.

Andy
05-18-2002, 07:08 AM
As my trip to England is both for business and pleasure, I have had to make advanced arrangements for most of my short stay.

I have now pencilled in Friday 7th at Beaulieu. I have a few other times free, but that is my only clear day.

Andy

f1svx
05-19-2002, 01:14 AM
Hi folk's
I'm up for a meet in early june, being from Taunton England. The south West is just perfect for me.

P.S Has anyone else ever converted to manual.

Cheers team

Graham:)

svxistentialist
05-19-2002, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by f1svx
Hi folk's
I'm up for a meet in early june, being from Taunton England. The south West is just perfect for me.

P.S Has anyone else ever converted to manual.

Cheers team

Graham:)

Hi Graham

You are the only one I know who has gone to manual. Be great to have you on the meeting, we would all love to see what the car is like with a manual box.

Check the next post.

Joe.

svxistentialist
05-19-2002, 06:13 AM
Right everybody, at this point we need to get things moving along.

As most of our people are happy to go with the weekend of 7-8-9 June, I propose we accept that as the time for the meeting. Later in the Summer, many will be on hols etc, so let's do it now.

Next, where do we meet? I have had no response from the Yahoo side, other than from the people here, so let's suit the people who are coming.

On the numbers, the majority who have expressed an opinion have favoured Devon. The following list is of the people who have agreed to come, and any preferences noted. I would be obliged if you could let us know if the list is incorrect for your details, particularly if you are not able to come.

Here goes:

Chris Murphy Aberdeen. Coming to anywhere. Date suits
Joe Devine Kildare. Coming to anywhere. Date suits
Phil Hill Lincs. Coming to anywhere. Date suits, suggests Gaydon
Phil Skuse. Bucks. Coming to anywhere. Date suits, likes Devon
Tony Shale. Midlands. Coming to anywhere. Date suits
Graham F1SVX Taunton. Coming to anywhere. Date suits, Devon
Andy, Guernsey. In UK. Prefers Beaulieu. Is free Fri 7th
RichDev65. Coming to anywhere. Date suits. Suggests Devon
Arthur Monks. Portsmouth. Don't know if date suits.

As you can see from above, Devon is the choice of the majority. It would shorten my trip a bit too, although I would rather Beaulieu, Devon is fine for me.

Based on above, I suggest we make it Devon on the weekend of 7-8-9 June.

Andy, as most will be working to Friday and/or travelling long distance, it is likely we would all be meeting up Saturday afternoon, having a meal somewhere Saturday night, possibly doing a short tour or visit somewhere Sunday morning. Can you fit this in to your trip?

Very much looking forward to meeting you all folks, please respond so we can get on with organising detail.

Joe:) :) :)

Andy
05-19-2002, 02:28 PM
I am unfortunate in having to combine my trip to England with business. (Sure helps with the Income Tax though.)

I will be at Interbuild in Birmingham on Sunday 9th for the whole day and I have to be near Bristol for 6pm on Saturday.

As I want to visit Beaulieu anyway, I will head there on Friday 7th and would be pleased to meet with anyone around on that day. If I can, I will try to catch up with the rest of you on Saturday but will have to leave for my 6pm.

Andy

TonyShaleUK
05-19-2002, 03:06 PM
Devon and Saturday/Sunday suits me.

Looking forward to it........

svxistentialist
05-19-2002, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Andy, some of the people are local to the Devon area, so it is well possible you can meet them before heading for Bristol.

Arthur 610 is away on the Friday till the Saturday evening, but may be able to meet us when we have final details sorted out.

Have sent some emails direct, if I get replies, will keep you all posted.

Richdev may be able to do some local organising re B&Bs and so on. If you are going to the event, please say if you need accommodation, and which night/s

b3lha
05-20-2002, 07:01 AM
Great, that suits us fine

Saturday 8th June at RichDev's "Romany Jones Cafe", Torquay. Now we just have to think of a time and plan some scenic photo locations.

Can't wait.

Phil & Belha.

svxistentialist
05-21-2002, 01:02 AM
Our trip is going to happen.

RichDev is looking into detail about B&Bs and Hotels, also a location for our meal, gourmet of course as it's in Torquay. He will post up alternatives on this thread.

I hope everyone can make the run, it will be good to meet you all. Below is the list of those expected, there may be one or two more who'll come, we'll wait & see.

Chris Murphy Aberdeen. Coming to anywhere. Date suits
Joe Devine Kildare. Coming to anywhere. Date suits
Phil Hill Lincs. Coming to anywhere. Date suits.
Phil Skuse. Bucks. Coming to anywhere. Date suits, likes Devon
Tony Shale. Midlands. Coming to anywhere. Date suits
Graham F1SVX Taunton. Coming to anywhere. Date suits, Devon
Andy, Guernsey. In UK. Prefers Beaulieu. Is free Sat morning & afternoon.
RichDev65. Coming to anywhere. Date suits. Local, is our host.
Arthur Monks. Portsmouth. Not back off trip till Sat afternoon.

That's it so far. We should have a nice meal, and a couple of local beauty spots to visit and take photos. A nice way to round off the Jubilee holiday.

One other request if you would bear with me. Please indicate if you will be travelling alone, or with spouse/navigator/family. We need to know the numbers for booking the Saturday night meal, obviously the more the merrier, all are welcome.

See you soon

Joe :)

Richdev65
05-21-2002, 10:51 AM
Please see "Devon Meet" Thread for Itinery

Rich & Claire.

TonyShaleUK
05-21-2002, 12:54 PM
Torquay I can find. Romany Jones, I doubt.....directions will be provided anon?

See you all there

svxistentialist
05-21-2002, 02:05 PM
Preliminary Meet Itinerary
SVX MEET SATURDAY 7 th JUNE 2002

2 PM Meet at Romany Jones Cafe. To give Directions for the day,and to have some light refreshments ( complementary )

3 PM Scenic drive to Torre Abbey Mansion House. This is an old monastary which sits in 7 acres of gardens on the seafront. I have secured permission for us to form up a semi circle, for a photo oppotunity and a general chit chat. Plenty to do all within 10 minutes walk. Shops etc.

5 PM Scenic drive to Sampsons Farm. This is a traditional Devonshire longhouse in its own grounds. Restored to a family run guest house and restaraunt. It has stunning views accross the teign valley. The owner is going to put on a warm welcome
for us all and a cream tea is optional.

7 PM Disperse to check into respective accomodation.

9 PM Evening meal at the famous STEPS BISTRO in Torquay.
( Not expensive but excellent food )

COMPLEMENTARY BREAKFAST ON SUNDAY MORNING AT MY CAFE.

All comments and suggestions welcome. Rich & Claire.
Phone number is with Joe in Ireland.

svxistentialist
05-21-2002, 02:26 PM
Tony and all others coming

We will have a sketch prepared with good detail how to find the rendevouz.

Also, I think Rich is looking up a few hotel and B&B numbers for us. We will publish all on the site in good time.

Probably no harm to post all the info on Yahoo as well, just in case, but very few seem to be reading it.

Andy
05-21-2002, 04:04 PM
Romany Jones is easy to find.

Just open your window and smell the bacon ;)

Hope to meet you all around lunchtime, and might be able to make the Abbey photo call too.

Andy

MartyMcFly
05-22-2002, 12:39 AM
Congrats that everything worked out that great!

I wish all of you a very nice day and a lot of fun.
Enjoy the meeting with the other SVXers.

mfg hrc

svxistentialist
05-22-2002, 01:23 AM
Marty.

We will give you lots of notice for the next one, maybe even set out for mainland Europe next Summer.

We should have some nice photos to show for those who can't make it.

Thanks for the kind wishes,

Richdev65
05-22-2002, 09:42 AM
Outline plan is on the Devon Meet Thread.
I will be posting directions to the Cafe soon.
( simply M5 south , A38 Exeter , A380 Torquay / Newton Abbot , Cafe 1 mile on the left. ) Roughly speaking Torquay is 45 mins to 1 hour from Bristol,depending on how you drive.
I will print up some handouts for when we meet so that everyone knows where they are going and whats going on. I am organising a press visit. Guest houses and hotels are in abundance here so there is no problem. I will be posting a recommended list of places to stay,which will include budget ( £15 - 20 / pn) mid-range ( £20 - 50 pn) and 4* ( £ 55 upwards)
Hope this will be of some help.
Rich & Claire

TonyShaleUK
05-22-2002, 12:07 PM
I can smell the bacon already!

Somewhere in this thread there was a plea for numbers for booking the dinner on Saturday night. I will be on my own for this junket.

b3lha
05-23-2002, 11:16 AM
The itinerary looks great. Regarding number for dinner, there will be two of us.

Phil & Belha.

svxistentialist
05-25-2002, 05:39 PM
Just got an email from Chris in Aberdeen, he can't come that particular weekend, anniversary trip with his wife, so we wish him well. Pity we can't meet this time.

I may be on my own, but a friend would like to come with me, unless he is off to look at boats somewhere, so count me for two. Family can't come that weekend unfortunately.

Arthur may come if his trip finishes early enough. We will still have a good group, I reckon we have six cars coming minimum.

Roll on June!!

Joe

svxistentialist
05-25-2002, 05:47 PM
Andy,

As most are planning to be in Torquay for 2 PM Saturday, and you have to leave for Bristol at 5ish, bear in mind some will already be in Torquay for Friday night. That would mean you could meet people earlier if that suited your round trip.

Rich and Claire will be there obviously, and Phil and Belha are planning to be over Friday night I think. I may be there myself, depending on ferry timing, I have to book yet.

Let us know what suits, can provide you with phone numbers.

Joe

Andy
05-26-2002, 02:17 PM
Thanks Joe.

I will be checking out from my accomodation Saturday morning and hope to be in Torquay by midday at the latest.

I know where Rich is so will head there to get stoked up on bacon and lard before the afternoons events

Andy

Phil Hill
05-27-2002, 01:02 AM
Looks like we're going to be able to make it from Lincolnshire too. Something of a miricle with shifts and wot-not. So I guess two more for dinner Saturday evening. I could do with the accomodation please, list who-ever controls it.

Thanks

Phil.

LarryIII
05-27-2002, 04:55 AM
I want to wish everyone involved with the UK 10th Annivesary SVX Meet a great time. Enjoy yourselves.
I wish I was driving to your meet. But alas, there is an ocean between us and my SVX drives on the other side of the road.

Please post pictures so all us colonials can ogle you lucky blokes.

Larryy III

TonyShaleUK
05-27-2002, 03:18 PM
Sorry, haven't got the weblink, but try:

Alta Vista

Search "Torquay Hotels"

Look under Torquay Caterers or something similar. A whole list of B&B and hotels. Each hotel website has better availability data than the website itself. Plenty to choose from!

Roll on the 8th!!

svxistentialist
05-28-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by LarryIII
I want to wish everyone involved with the UK 10th Annivesary SVX Meet a great time. Enjoy yourselves.
I wish I was driving to your meet. But alas, there is an ocean between us and my SVX drives on the other side of the road.

Please post pictures so all us colonials can ogle you lucky blokes.

Larryy III

Thanks for the good wishes.

We will do the digitals to keep youse colonials in the picture. We will keep you posted.

Joe;)

svxistentialist
05-28-2002, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by TonyShaleUK
Sorry, haven't got the weblink, but try:

Alta Vista

Search "Torquay Hotels"

Look under Torquay Caterers or something similar. A whole list of B&B and hotels. Each hotel website has better availability data than the website itself. Plenty to choose from!

Roll on the 8th!!

Thanks Tony.

I will try this. Rich, if you can before the week is out, post up three or four numbers of B&Bs and hotels for people. That way no one wil get worried. Not everyone is search engine literate.

Cheers

Andy
05-30-2002, 11:37 AM
Just received this suprise email

"Quote"

Dear Mr Linehan,

Thank-you for your message regarding the SVX event in Torquay on June 10.

You are absolutely right in being proud of your SVX - it was ahead of its time.

Please be assured, we have not forgotten either the car nor its owners.

And to prove it, if you would like to send me some photographs and basic facts and figures from the Anniverary Meeting, I will consider publishing something in our next 'I M Express' company newspaper which is also send to the press and dealers.

My address is:

Mr Arthur Fairley
Director, Media and Public Relations
Subaru (UK) Limited
Ryder Street
West Bromwich
West Midlands
B70 OEKJ

Best Regards

svxistentialist
05-30-2002, 01:43 PM
We are obviously making a little bit of history. If the man is serious about not forgetting the SVX, Subaru and Fuji will go up a notch in my respect.

Everybody who is coming should bring a decent camera, and get a haircut. We could be featuring in the trade press, or maybe further afield!!

Svx nuts conquer the World!!!

Joe:) :) :D

CHRISSVXUK
05-30-2002, 03:29 PM
Hello fellow owners of the great SVX, I hope that I am not too late to gate crash the bash, I am lucky enough to be the owner of the subaru press car that autocar and the times used(dose that make me famous)she is begginig to get on a bit but she still gets looks and she is a great car too own,if just a bit expensive.
Please let me know if it will be ok to come :cool:

svxistentialist
05-30-2002, 06:45 PM
U serious??

B there. We are all looking forward to a good time.
All are welcome. Don't even ask, just arrive.

Looking forward to talking to you, and if your car is the original prsss car, I have some classic shots for you.

svxistentialist
05-31-2002, 03:21 PM
Have my ferry booked for next Friday. I think I will be on my own. My friend Gerry who is a fellow Matra enthusiast will probably be sailing a boat from Jersey to Southampton that weekend.

Have to get two new tyres in the morning. Hit a protruding rock on a mountain road this week. I knew the rock was there, but I wasn't expecting the Transit that was using most of the road. Blew the front tyre, bulged the back. So I will have to get tracked and retyred for my trip. Just paid Euro35 for laser tracking last week too, no justice.

Joe

svxistentialist
05-31-2002, 03:30 PM
From what we know already, the following are those who are having dinner Saturday night.

Rich and Claire
Phil and Belha
Phil Hill and she who must be nameless
Tony Shale on his own.
Graham from Taunton, don't know if he is bringing a friend
Graham mentioned another owner
ChrisUK if he is staying over.
Myself Joe Devine
Arthur 610 may be back from a business trip, not sure.

By that we need a table or tables for a minimum of 10.

Rich, can you alert the restaurant?

Also, be good to have a few phone numbers up for Hotels and B&Bs

Thanks

Joe:) :)

Richdev65
06-02-2002, 03:05 PM
Restaraunt is booked.
See you all Saturday.
Some Hotel & Guest house information on the `MEET` thread.

Rich & Claire.

svxistentialist
06-03-2002, 04:14 PM
Rob Marcus, the UK Club founder, is able to come on Saturday, so we have an extra two for the meal, not to mention an extra car for the shoot.

Looking forward to seeing all.

Phil Hill
06-05-2002, 01:07 AM
Phil Hill and she who must be nameless

Angela :)

Phil.

svxistentialist
06-05-2002, 09:50 AM

Angela :)

Phil.

Hey, I was just kidding Phil, hope Angela didn't see that!:o

Latest dinner list:

Phil & Belha Skuse
Phil & Angela Hill
Rich & Claire Peters
Rob & Aneta Marcus
Tony Shale
Graham from Taunton
Graham mentioned another owner?
ChrisUK if he is staying over.
Joe Devine
Arthur Monks only maybe.

That would be ten cars, eleven counting Andy who will have left for Bristol. Not bad going if we can pull it off. We can also organise some little souvenir of the event, keyring photo, baseball cap, logoed t-shirt or somewhat else. I imagine those who wanted to come and did not make it might like us to produce something to mark the occasion. Our US friends have already asked for something to show at the US meeting in July.

Roll on Saturday!

Joe
:) :) :D

wasions
06-05-2002, 11:51 AM
(That's Suhthun Illunoah, y'all.)

I am so excited for all of you. Just reading through this thread gives me goose pimples, or maybe those are just warts. It's also rather fitting that Anniversary, Part II, should beat Part I.

Can't wait for the pix! Have a great time! :cool:

b3lha
06-05-2002, 12:50 PM
Richard,

This "Steps Bistro" place sounds rather upmarket. Are we having a "Black Tie" dinner, or is Casual dress acceptable?

Phil & Belha.

Aredubjay
06-05-2002, 02:22 PM
I wanna be there, darn it! Unfortunately, my SVX has neither the "snorkle" mod nor the BCA SST Mod. Golly gee whillickers, ya'll think of us poor yanks while you're getting together and raise a glass in our honour, if you don't mind. I'd bite my arm off to be there.

Best of British, to you all. :D

TonyShaleUK
06-05-2002, 03:56 PM
Could the organisers (well done again to you, excellent job!) summarise the Saturday schedule, meet location directions and, of course, dress code for the day and evening - my Tux hasn't seen the light of day for an awful long time and I'm afraid it may be somewhat dated (and moth-eaten!!).

Looking forward to meeting you all on Saturday.

Richdev65
06-05-2002, 04:24 PM
Dear All,
Some questions answered;
If slumming it is 0% and going really posh is 100% then Steps Bistro is about 75 - 80 % ,so you can work out what to wear from that.
Directions will be given out on a sheet along with vital phone numbers and other information on the day. You already have directions to the Cafe( on the `MEET` thread),so you can at least arrive!
Souveniers of the occasion,I will help if I can. Perhaps someone has got an idea ? I can get keyrings,but you normally have a minimum order of 500,if you are doing your own design,so a tee-shirt might be a more short term answer. Perhaps a small but discrete car sticker ( 10 anniversary)? p.s. tried to get someone from Subaru Uk along but no luck. Can anyone pull any strings?
The local newspaper is doing a write up tomorrow. Available on the Net. ( West country Publications or Herald Express, thursdays edition of `The Drive Section`)

Rich & Claire

svxistentialist
06-05-2002, 05:58 PM
We have most bases covered. I think we should relax a bit, and let the fun happen.

Rich has done an excellent job, given us a meeting place and focus point, so no-one is unaware of where we are going.

The souvenir business can happen after the fun. Everybody bring a good camera, the club can select from some good shots afterwards. Rich, if your press people can be persuaded to be at one of the country homes, they generally do a professional shot. We could ask to get copies afterwards.

Have never been to Torquay, but my experience of Devon and Devon people has me looking forward to this event with a smile. Do hope everyone can come.

Ron Mummert
06-05-2002, 07:30 PM
And don't forget that custom T-Shirt that you're going to send to the colonists, so we can fly it from the flag pole in Indiana.
Wish I could join you there!
Ron.

Phil Hill
06-06-2002, 01:33 AM

Hey, I was just kidding Phil, hope Angela didn't see that!:o

She did, but was amused so no worries. "Our" SVX is her car after all !!

CHRISSVXUK
06-06-2002, 04:53 AM
Normaly at meetings of this ilk there is always going to be a person that is as thick as 2 planks, well I volunteer for that post
and just to confirm my elegibility would some one be able to post the full adress and times for the meet on the 10th, and yes please include my in the resterant booking.
At the moment I am haveing problems with the engine coolent sensor and the lamda sensors !any ideas? :rolleyes:

Phil Hill
06-06-2002, 05:06 AM
We're planning to make the trip down to Torquay on Friday night. Does anyone else fancy meeting up on Friday night for a drink and to introduce themselves ahead of Saturdays events ??

Phil.

svxistentialist
06-06-2002, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by CHRISSVXUK
Normaly at meetings of this ilk there is always going to be a person that is as thick as 2 planks, well I volunteer for that post
and just to confirm my elegibility would some one be able to post the full adress and times for the meet on the 10th, and yes please include my in the resterant booking.
At the moment I am haveing problems with the engine coolent sensor and the lamda sensors !any ideas? :rolleyes:

We will accept this volunteer! Chris, don't get mixed up in the dates, the meeting is at 2.30 Saturday 8th at the Romany Jones Cafe, the 10 bit refers to 10th Anniversary of when the cars started selling in '92.

Details as per RichDev below

Outline plan is on the Devon Meet Thread.
I will be posting directions to the Cafe soon.
( simply M5 south , A38 Exeter , A380 Torquay / Newton Abbot , Cafe 1 mile on the left. ) Roughly speaking Torquay is 45 mins to 1 hour from Bristol,depending on how you drive.
I will print up some handouts for when we meet so that everyone knows where they are going and whats going on. I am organising a press visit. Guest houses and hotels are in abundance here so there is no problem. I will be posting a recommended list of places to stay,which will include budget ( £15 - 20 / pn) mid-range ( £20 - 50 pn) and 4* ( £ 55 upwards)
Hope this will be of some help.

Rich will probably also post up the cafe telephone number.

Regards your electrical problems, post up a query on the Technical Forum, ask Beav to reply. It is possible to clean the Lambda sensor CAREFULLY!. It is super expensive, don't break it. Any possibility you are taking oil fumes through the air filter? This would affect the MAF meter. If the filter is dirty, change it.

How many are you for dinner??

svxistentialist
06-06-2002, 06:05 AM
We're planning to make the trip down to Torquay on Friday night. Does anyone else fancy meeting up on Friday night for a drink and to introduce themselves ahead of Saturdays events ??

Phil.

Hi Phil

I am staying in Saltash in Plymouth myself Friday, so won't be in Torquay. Rich is local, and I don't know who else is arriving early.

Be careful you two driving Friday, England are playing, need I say more? Other than the obvious, best of luck to England.

svxistentialist
06-06-2002, 06:14 AM
Who may not know how to navigate these threads, the following is general information on what we are up to Saturday, along with a list of accommodation, kindly researched by Rich and Claire.

SVX MEET SATURDAY 8th JUNE 2002

2 PM Meet at Romany Jones Cafe. To give Directions for the day,and to have some light refreshments ( complementary )

3 PM Scenic drive to Torre Abbey Mansion House. This is an old monastary which sits in 7 acres of gardens on the seafront. I have secured permission for us to form up a semi circle, for a photo oppotunity and a general chit chat. Plenty to do all within 10 minutes walk. Shops etc.

5 PM Scenic drive to Sampsons Farm. This is a traditional Devonshire longhouse in its own grounds. Restored to a family run guest house and restaraunt. It has stunning views accross the teign valley. The owner is going to put on a warm welcome
for us all and a cream tea is optional.

7 PM Disperse to check into respective accomodation.

9 PM Evening meal at the famous STEPS BISTRO in Torquay.
( Not expensive but excellent food )

COMPLEMENTARY BREAKFAST ON SUNDAY MORNING AT MY CAFE.

and the hotels etc:

Those of you that are staying for Saturday night in Torquay,I have put together a few telephone numbers for you to consider.

The Imperial Hotel 5* 01803 294301
The Grand Hotel 4* 01803 296677
The Toorak Hotel 3* 01803 400400
The Belgrave Hotel 3 * 01803 296666
Clovelly Guest House 01803 292286
Palm Tree Guest House 01803 299141
Belmont Guest House 01803 295028
Marlow Hotel 01803 213101

I can personally recommend the Toorak Hotel. The others I have just picked ,so that you have a choice. They are all central.

Anyone still unsure, post a message or question, we will respond

Joe

Phil Hill
06-06-2002, 06:18 AM
I'd say it's an ideal time to travel then !! Will dig out the radar detector just to be "safe" though. :D

Might be more of problem getting a nice quiet drink Friday night regardless of whether we win or lose.

Phil.

svxistentialist
06-06-2002, 06:34 AM
Unless your Radar picks up alcohol fumes, drive carefully anyway.

I am booked in the Toorak, nice people, but they couldn't understand me. My friend Gerry is off to sail a boat in Jersey, so I will be alone. Possibly my youngest son John might come for the trip though.

See you Saturday.

Joe:cool:

Phil Hill
06-06-2002, 08:58 AM
Well, I'd like to "safely" detect all the "safety camera's" before my driving licence is put into an "unsafe" position, if you know what I mean en-route to Devon !!! :cool:

We're in the Corbyn Head Hotel, where-ever that may be. I guess we'll find it.

Phil.

(its the title of a Robert Rankin book if you didn't know)
(no, not the irish chef bloke, that's Paul Rankin.......)

f1svx
06-06-2002, 04:04 PM
Rich, Look forward to seeing you all Saturday. Will bring "A6" of course and Anne (She who makes the decisions (Sometimes)) and daughter Sammy. The reservations we have concern the evening. As cost and children constraints have bearing upon all things at present. However count us in for the Days events. All the best

Graham & Anne

svxistentialist
06-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Graham & Anne & Sammy

Looking forward to seeing you all Saturday. Hope you can make the meal, Rich says the place is not all that expensive, but I won't know what he thinks is cheap till we get there.

I am bringing along my son John, so Sammy will have someone to play with.

Am packing now to be ready in the morning, so this could be my last post, unless there is something to attend to in the morning.

See you all there.

Joe

svxistentialist
06-07-2002, 01:52 AM
Just checked the on-line forecast for Torquay before I leave to get my ferry.

Gives Saturday cloudy, 30% precipitation risk, Sunday cloudy, 20% precipitation risk. Should be OK for our photo shoots.

See you tomorrow

Richdev65
06-07-2002, 11:00 AM
Dear All,
I have been asked to reiterate directions to the meet point so here goes.

M 5 southbound
A 38 Exeter
A 380 Torquay
eventually you get to a big roudabout ( Penn Inn Roundabout )
Straight accross for Torquay.
Romany Jones Cafe is situated about 3/4 mile on left.

p.s. to Phil , the Corbyn Head Hotel is very nice .

Meal at Steps, eg Steak with all the trimmings and Veg and sauce about £14- £15, there are other things cheaper and some things more expensive. There are some specials as well

Regards All, Richard & Claire

Richdev65
06-07-2002, 11:10 AM
Dear all,

If you get lost, here is the number to call:

01803 875846

See you tomorrow,

Rich and Claire