PDA

View Full Version : source for coated ss brake lines?

rallyingrob
03-27-2007, 06:38 PM
i'm in the market for braided ss flex lines, but i REALLLLY need them to be coated (they would look like a hydraulic line...all rubber-type coating with the ss buried inside)
the reason is that dirt/grit can get into the braiding if its open/exposed and chafe the inner tube causing leakage...i need to avoid this problem and i'm sure it will occur since the car is being prepped to rally..:D

thanks !!

ensteele
03-27-2007, 08:03 PM
That is the first time I have heard of that. :o

It's Just Eric
03-27-2007, 08:58 PM
.....spray the bajeesus out of them with rubber undercoating. Im sure itll fill the braidedness...It will look like ass, but it could work

sicksubie
03-27-2007, 09:15 PM
Why not just put heat shrink tubing around them?

Beav
03-27-2007, 09:30 PM
Why not consider that you'll probably run the car into a tree long before that becomes an issue?

Ain't it funny, the things we'll wrap our heads around?

bwb3
03-28-2007, 08:03 AM
Motorsports Warehouse has their SS lines on sale now. Just ordered some because I sprung a small leak.

rallyingrob
03-28-2007, 08:10 AM
ye of little faith beav !!!
lol

no seriously.......i drive a boom truck and all the braided lines (standard hydraulic stuff) is coated in rubber to prevent these issues(plus chafing together/on the boom arm etc etc)
ever see exposed stainless on an earthmover?
nope
and thats why....dirt particles can get in and cause leakage...
sorta like why u cant stud a snow tire after its been driven on...the studs push the bits of grit that are at the bottom of the stud holes through the tire causing air leaks...

i have seen ads on-line for coated lines, they are even available in custom colours (bright yellow anyone?!?) :)
but i'll be darned if i can find svx applications....

do any other subaru brake lines fit?

i like the idea of heak-shrink...but it wouldnt be strong enough...:(

rally cars can sandblast/erode their own floors away without underbody armour....i've punched holes through a brand new muffler with stones flying due to wheelspin....the poor heat shrink wouldnt stand a chance....:)

rallyingrob
03-28-2007, 08:13 AM
hmmmmmmmm
95 $ is hard to beat.......
i wonder if i am being just waaaay too paranoid........?

then again..for a few extra dollars....maybe i should hold-out......?

Hocrest
03-28-2007, 08:15 AM
but i'll be darned if i can find svx applications....

do any other subaru brake lines fit?

The fittings for a 97 Legacy are the same, but your stabilizing tabs are going to be different, I'm not sure about the length??

rallyingrob
03-28-2007, 09:49 AM
thanks hocrest!!

ensteele
03-28-2007, 04:23 PM
hmmmmmmmm
95 $ is hard to beat.......
i wonder if i am being just waaaay too paranoid........?

Yes :D :D :D It would be interesting to see if you would ever have problems. :confused: :)

92svx95
03-28-2007, 06:59 PM
[QUOTE=rallyingrob]ye of little faith beav !!!
lol

no seriously.......i drive a boom truck and all the braided lines (standard hydraulic stuff)

I would check out where your "boom truck" gets serviced at. They might have them they might not. But who ever works on your truck/services it has to have a source. Company out here in CA who services our tow trucks is called Cal-Fleet... my 2 cents

bwb3
03-29-2007, 06:54 AM
The ss brake lines from Motorsports Warehouse arrived yesterday. Free shipping too. The braid is so tight I can't imagine dirt being a problem. What about just a silicone sealer?
Gene

ensteele
03-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Or there is always the Duct Tape option. :rolleyes: :D :D

rallyingrob
03-29-2007, 07:58 PM
hmmmmmmmm
i never thought of that..(either option!)

i can get them made-up locally yes....but technically everything on the car has to be "DOT approved", since the rallies transit between stages on open public roads.......

and while the odds of having a fabbed hose fail are no greater/worse than a purchased hose......the fact that it was DOT approved and marketed puts the liability more on the manufacturer and less so on me and/or the local hydraulic dude...

rob"i guess i really AM paranoid!"m.
:o

Speedklix
03-30-2007, 04:44 PM
The fittings for a 97 Legacy are the same, but your stabilizing tabs are going to be different, I'm not sure about the length??

WRX too, length is the same on wrx but same i think it is missing a tab.

the heat shink is a great idea, one of my own would be vinyl hose with silicon in the ends.

rallyingrob
03-30-2007, 04:53 PM
ok i'm buying into the idea of wrapping the lines .......
but how would you slip a hose (for ex) over the fitting/ tabs.....?
not trying to sound like a smart a$$....just wondering on technique....
plenty of lube ;0 fer sure.....
but how exactly?
cut the tubing into the correct lengths and slip on from each end meeting at the tab....?
or............?

Speedklix
03-31-2007, 01:22 PM
slightly larger tube and cut it to fit as far as the tab. between tabs is a little tricky. you could cut it lengthwise as well as at the length needed to fit between tabs, slip it over the line and zip tie it.

If you are looking for function more than bling, then I'm liking sicksubie's idea of using heat shrink more.

Speedklix
03-31-2007, 01:28 PM
for the heat shink, I can't remember how tight it is between the tabs and the line, but you can mark with a sharpee where they need to be, cut your heat shrink tubbing to that length, shrink it in place, and wiggle the one tab over to where it needs to be befor you ad the final two sections of tube.

You only have this problem on two lines, and if you use WRX lines, i don't think you even have to worry about the extra tab. just throw a zip tie through the welded nuts around the line where the tabs would be.

Tkae a look at this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stainless-Steel-Brake-Lines-Impreza-WRX-STI-04-up_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33562QQitemZ20009311 9594QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
The lines I bought from a member on here had a similar coating on them. the clips that secure them near the hard line had to be grinded to fit, but I really didn't care if they even went on

rallyingrob
03-31-2007, 06:27 PM
oh wow and a canuck company too!!
i see they have 2 listings for subaru
one is 04 and up wrx

the other fits all the way back to 1990 legacys/imprezas

which would be the better fitment of the two to work on the svx?

benebob
04-05-2007, 08:00 PM
oh wow and a canuck company too!!
i see they have 2 listings for subaru
one is 04 and up wrx

the other fits all the way back to 1990 legacys/imprezas

which would be the better fitment of the two to work on the svx?

Do you have hydro shops up in the North? If so go to one take some old ones in and they'll make 'em to your specs out of sheepskin if you want (I'm sure they'll warn ya that it doesn't stop pregnancy though). It'll be you're best bang for the buck!:)

rallyingrob
04-06-2007, 08:37 PM
oh yeah...lots of shops...i can even get a discount by putting it through my employer..but that nasty liability issue is a big one....and for approx 100$ (cdn) i can just buy the lines and let the supplier worry about the lawsuits(mostly!)

i figure to have them made will be about 50-80$ so for the sake of a few bucks i'd rather be safe(r) than sorry........:)