PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers for teh BEAST!!

TomsSVX
03-24-2007, 02:55 PM
I am returning to my roots within the next couple weeks. I built a set of coilovers for another member recently and I cannot help myself. I order my springs&collars and I am waiting to hear back from Mychailo about the konis... Ah I cannot wait to be back on coilovers:D I will post pics of the process of building the struts and installation

Tom

Crazy_pilot
03-24-2007, 03:13 PM
Soon it will make your sig smaller to only list the stock parts instead of the mods:D :D

TomsSVX
03-24-2007, 03:24 PM
what stock parts??:confused: :D :D ;)

tom

svxfiles
03-24-2007, 03:56 PM
what stock parts??:confused: :D :D ;)

tom
Glove box door!
SLACKER!!!

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA,HAHA,HAHA,HA,HA, ha,
snort.:D

shotgunslade
03-24-2007, 04:33 PM
With this mod, you'll be ready to hit the road racing track. Let me know when you want to go, and I'll find an event. First time out, you'll need to go with a group that provides instructors. Probably best bet would be a PDA event at Pocono. Once you get a taste of it, you will be an addict.

sicksubie
03-24-2007, 04:49 PM
I think Mychailo is in Japan right now.

TomsSVX
03-24-2007, 05:53 PM
i thought he was going in April?? Crap... do I really need to order them from classic garage?

Tom

sicksubie
03-24-2007, 08:41 PM
I could be wrong, but I thought he had already left. BTW how much for a set of koni/ GC's?

TomsSVX
03-24-2007, 09:59 PM
coilovers are about 400 shipped and if I get the konis from mychailo they are 630shipped... classic garage is 680+shipping

Tom

mbtoloczko
04-09-2007, 09:01 PM
coilovers are about 400 shipped and if I get the konis from mychailo they are 630shipped... classic garage is 680+shipping

Tom

I can do coilovers for $400 shipped too. :-) BTW, if you want to get the most out of coilovers, you should get a set of my rear strut mounts that eliminate most of the free play found in the rubber donut on the OEM SVX rear strut mounts.

SVXRide
04-09-2007, 09:30 PM
I can do coilovers for $400 shipped too. :-) BTW, if you want to get the most out of coilovers, you should get a set of my rear strut mounts that eliminate most of the free play found in the rubber donut on the OEM SVX rear strut mounts.

Mychailo,
can you drop me a pm or give me a call about the strut mounts and helper springs? Thanks.
-Bill

TomsSVX
04-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Had em built for over a week and I just got them installed tonight... Riding 1.5" lower in the front and .5" lower in the rear... rock solid... Rides on rails baby!!! I also kept the stock camber adjustments so I have just the right negative camber I want... All smile here:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tom:D

SVXRide
04-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Had em built for over a week and I just got them installed tonight... Riding 1.5" lower in the front and .5" lower in the rear... rock solid... Rides on rails baby!!! I also kept the stock camber adjustments so I have just the right negative camber I want... All smile here:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tom:D

Nice!! No problems with the lower ride height and those 18" rims and tires?
-Bill

TomsSVX
04-15-2007, 07:51 PM
no, I was concerned about that but once I let her down.... it looked too damn good to bring it any higher

Tom

SVXRide
04-15-2007, 07:53 PM
no, I was concerned about that but once I let her down.... it looked too damn good to bring it any higher

Tom

guess you're glad you moved the alternator back up to the top of the engine;)
-Bill

TomsSVX
04-15-2007, 07:54 PM
Yes... otherwise it would have been lifted:rolleyes: But I am also glad that I can go to the store and buy a 6 rib belt now:D :D thnx TOM!!!!

Tom

SVXRide
04-15-2007, 08:13 PM
Yes... otherwise it would have been lifted:rolleyes: But I am also glad that I can go to the store and buy a 6 rib belt now:D :D thnx TOM!!!!

Tom

Now, if "Old Tom" can just get a new drive pulley for his s/c!!
-Bill

svxfiles
04-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Now, if "Old Tom" can just get a new drive pulley for his s/c!!
-Bill
I just got the pulley installed.:cool:
I wanted this one to be a virtual press fit, so.....
I had to heat the new pulley in 212°f+ and have Di try to amputate my fingers installing it.:rolleyes:
I now have boost again, but have to have a pass to see the #s.
YT, congrats on your new SpringTime!!!!!
I loved the way those coilovers felt!
OT

TomsSVX
04-16-2007, 09:28 AM
OT... just remember, "ground control" while we are racing... I know you already heard this but I know how old people lose their hearing over time:p

Tom

svxfiles
04-16-2007, 10:02 AM
OT... just remember, "ground control" while we are racing... I know you already heard this but I know how old people lose their hearing over time:p

Tom
What?:confused:
Lose their mind over time?
What?:confused:

svxfiles
04-16-2007, 10:03 AM
Ground control to Major Tom....

Tim
04-16-2007, 12:03 PM
I want to be Koni-sized next!

Need money though :(

shotgunslade
04-18-2007, 07:05 AM
Tom:

What spring rates did you use?

TomsSVX
04-18-2007, 07:18 AM
350 up front and 315 in the rear... although I am still not sure, the fronts may be 450's but i thought it was a misprint

Tom

shotgunslade
04-18-2007, 07:39 AM
You ready to go for a track day?

TomsSVX
04-18-2007, 07:54 AM
hell yeah!!! as soon as I can afford it and I am out of school/work. esp since I am picking up a set of DOT slicks from Ben&Dave

Tom

shotgunslade
04-18-2007, 08:28 AM
Here is a good one. It is on the long course at Pocono. You should be able to get up well over 130 on the straight. My little NA ride gets up to over 120. It's $250, which is peanuts compared with what you have been dropping into the beast lately.

http://triregionracing.org/Forms/2007PDXad.pdf

By the way, wouldn't take R compounds to a track day until you have a number of them under your belt. They might be just the thing for AutoX, but street tires are better for beginning long-trackers. They have much more progressive break-away, and you can more easily learn how to modulate your drift with your left foot. There have been a lot of posts on this topic recently on the NASA forums. Instructors really don't want to ride with HPDE 1 and 2 drivers with R compounds. These tires hold really high lateral forces, then let go abruptly, sending the noobie driver into the weeds at high rates of speed, along with screaming instructor. Besides, you will learn a lot more and actually have more fun without them. I figure when I get my diploma to go from HPDE 2 to HPDE 3, I'll spring for R's. Until then, Yoko Advan Neova AD07's or Falken Azeni's are as far as I want to go.

Let me know. I'm going to both days for this one. If you want to do both days ($450), let me know, you can have the other bed.

Tim
04-18-2007, 10:10 AM
350 up front and 315 in the rear... although I am still not sure, the fronts may be 450's but i thought it was a misprint

Tom

Is the limitation for the Koni's 400lb/inch?

I'm interested into hear if there's a difference between this set and your old one as far as ride quality and feel.

TomsSVX
04-18-2007, 08:44 PM
Tim, as far as I know so far (driven about 7 miles) is that they feel the same... which is really frickin awsome!!!

tom

TomsSVX
04-18-2007, 08:47 PM
Im in.... sounds like a blast but I gotta make sure it doesn't conflict with my brother's wedding

tom

Here is a good one. It is on the long course at Pocono. You should be able to get up well over 130 on the straight. My little NA ride gets up to over 120. It's $250, which is peanuts compared with what you have been dropping into the beast lately.

http://triregionracing.org/Forms/2007PDXad.pdf

By the way, wouldn't take R compounds to a track day until you have a number of them under your belt. They might be just the thing for AutoX, but street tires are better for beginning long-trackers. They have much more progressive break-away, and you can more easily learn how to modulate your drift with your left foot. There have been a lot of posts on this topic recently on the NASA forums. Instructors really don't want to ride with HPDE 1 and 2 drivers with R compounds. These tires hold really high lateral forces, then let go abruptly, sending the noobie driver into the weeds at high rates of speed, along with screaming instructor. Besides, you will learn a lot more and actually have more fun without them. I figure when I get my diploma to go from HPDE 2 to HPDE 3, I'll spring for R's. Until then, Yoko Advan Neova AD07's or Falken Azeni's are as far as I want to go.

Let me know. I'm going to both days for this one. If you want to do both days ($450), let me know, you can have the other bed.

SVXBart
04-18-2007, 09:27 PM
Tom if you decide to go i would like to go too( hope we can get my clutch fixed by then).
We will talk on friday i guess.

mbtoloczko
04-19-2007, 07:01 PM

Tom

Its not a misprint. I've been talking with GC last week, and sometime in the last year or so, they switched to a 430f/315r rate. They said they choose this rate based on their testing of the SVX. I seriously doubt they've done any recent testing on an SVX though. Like Tim, I also asked about the spring rate limitation with Koni's. They said the Koni's are good to 650 lbs/in. I have no idea if that is true, but I do remember Porter saying that he felt with his 380f/330r setup that he needed to go full stiff on the rebound damping for proper spring control.

TomsSVX
04-19-2007, 07:38 PM
thats where I am at... full firm all the time. No reason for me not to be

Tom

jman050
04-19-2007, 08:36 PM
Im going to be doing konis this summer but im debating whether or not i should go with GC springs or mbtoloczko's custom springs. Im looking for best handling and im not very worried about stiffness. What do you guys recommend? whats the most I can lower the car front and rear without sacraficing handling?

Tim
04-19-2007, 09:38 PM
thats where I am at... full firm all the time. No reason for me not to be

Tom

Unless you're me and you live in pothole city :D

Earthworm
05-22-2007, 09:13 PM
thats where I am at... full firm all the time. No reason for me not to beI'm not going to touch that one! :eek:

TomsSVX
05-22-2007, 11:15 PM
hey... she likes a firm ride;) :p

You sick minded boy

Tom

92svx95
05-22-2007, 11:44 PM
i heard she likes it "stiff" ;)