PDA

View Full Version : Electric Turbo Charger

joburnet
03-12-2007, 08:37 AM
I've had this idea for a while and just found a company that makes an electric turbocharger.

http://www.electricchargers.com/

While there product looks like a POS, it almost has to be for $100, I think it's a pretty sound idea. It's not as efficient as using exhaust has or being belt driven but it's a whole lot easier to install and should be a whole lot cheaper.

Has anyone seen this before or have any information on a quality electric supercharger?

Ricochet
03-12-2007, 08:45 AM
:rolleyes:

no wait,

http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~ceugene/tmp/darwin/big_rolleyes.gif

Phast SVX
03-12-2007, 09:08 AM
garbage. I cant believe people still buy into that ****.

joburnet
03-12-2007, 09:12 AM

Do you have reasoning for that?

TomsSVX
03-12-2007, 09:13 AM
on a .8l engine it might have those kinds of gains... on a 3.3l that already breaths deep, it is merely a restriction

Tom

joburnet
03-12-2007, 09:19 AM
If you get an upgraded alternator you can have as much as 1200 Watts of extra power (100 amps extra x 12 Volts) when accelerating, that's enough to drive a pretty powerfull vacuum. Now take that power and direct it into the air intake and I could certainly see a significant power gain.

As I already stated that $100 thing is a POS, but that doesn't mean that something similar couldn't work.

Crazy_pilot
03-12-2007, 10:30 AM
Reminds me of the leafblower mod:rolleyes:

Might make a difference to my Taurus, which was factory tuned with a 10 pound sledgehammer (a whopping 145 HP out of 3L), but not to a better engine.

solarsvx
03-12-2007, 10:42 AM
dumbest idea ever

JaySVX
03-12-2007, 11:13 AM
Do you have reasoning for that?

I do. a turbocharger or supercharger works on a simple principal: Forced Induction.

That tiny fan cannot create any actual "pressure", i would go as far as to say it's more of a restriction, because the engine will draw air in faster than the motor can spin the tiny fan. The only practical electric super-charger i have seen is by Thomas Knight, on a nissan altima. He had to have 6 special batteries and 3 rediculiously complex blowers. It worked, only as long as the batteries could sustain it. Once they ran out, it did not work. The alternator could not produce enough current to keep them going at all times, so he installed a switch for it. You can read the article here:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight_turbo_electric_supercharger/

Nothing for under 2000+$ will give you any performance boost, unless you build hte parts yourself, by hand, but then you pay for it in hours of labor. In short, you get what you pay for.

joburnet
03-12-2007, 11:50 AM
I do. a turbocharger or supercharger works on a simple principal: Forced Induction.

That tiny fan cannot create any actual "pressure", i would go as far as to say it's more of a restriction, because the engine will draw air in faster than the motor can spin the tiny fan. The only practical electric super-charger i have seen is by Thomas Knight, on a nissan altima. He had to have 6 special batteries and 3 rediculiously complex blowers. It worked, only as long as the batteries could sustain it. Once they ran out, it did not work. The alternator could not produce enough current to keep them going at all times, so he installed a switch for it. You can read the article here:
http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0406tur_knight_turbo_electric_supercharger/

Nothing for under 2000+$ will give you any performance boost, unless you build hte parts yourself, by hand, but then you pay for it in hours of labor. In short, you get what you pay for.

Thanks for the link, that guy is taking it pretty far but it's cool to know what is possible.

Phast SVX
03-12-2007, 11:53 AM
sure. that fan can push maybe 100 cfm. Your engine breaths 230CFM stock, and my turbo setup at 8lbs breaths 570ish cfm. Its a freaking restriction. Better though, test it out and see if it works, then you will have learned the hard way.

Phast SVX
03-12-2007, 11:56 AM
If you get an upgraded alternator you can have as much as 1200 Watts of extra power (100 amps extra x 12 Volts) when accelerating, that's enough to drive a pretty powerfull vacuum. Now take that power and direct it into the air intake and I could certainly see a significant power gain.

As I already stated that $100 thing is a POS, but that doesn't mean that something similar couldn't work.

My turbo spins at 23,000RPM. the HEAT created from compressing air would melt the plastic blades on that fan, and would most definetly melt the maf.

phil

JaySVX
03-12-2007, 12:05 PM
I found the article in a magazine i read ages ago when i was in the air force. The only reason i had any interest was because i owned hte same make/model altima, and his seemed very nice looking. I just did a search for supercharged altima and it popped right up.

In short, anything less will do more harm than good. Unfortuantly, there is no shortcut when it comes to this, as is most things that are worth while, else we'd all be running boosted svx's.

joburnet
03-12-2007, 12:26 PM
I found the article in a magazine i read ages ago when i was in the air force. The only reason i had any interest was because i owned hte same make/model altima, and his seemed very nice looking. I just did a search for supercharged altima and it popped right up.

In short, anything less will do more harm than good. Unfortuantly, there is no shortcut when it comes to this, as is most things that are worth while, else we'd all be running boosted svx's.

I figured that was the case but I wanted more information. This kind of thing may work pretty well with hybrid vehicles as they already have a large enough battery to power an electric supercharger.

joburnet
03-12-2007, 12:36 PM
Apparently this electric supercharger is available for purchase for any vehicle and is ideal for hybrid vehicles. Prices start at $1695 and units can get up to 750 CFM, which would be more then enough for our SVX.

http://www.boosthead.com/updates.php

JaySVX
03-12-2007, 01:22 PM
Car battery and hybrid motor battery are two entirely different things. And you can not run a sc off a hybrid motor battery, the voltage is different i'm sure, you'd void the crap out of your warantee(woo, 3000$ for a replacement hybrid battery), and why in gods name would you want to? Are you aware that the hybrid vehicles, the gasoline engine produces about 40hp, the electric about 35hp, combine for 75hp. They are not zippy cars. 1.2litre gasoline engine, you can put 80lbs of boost(hypothetically, we all know it would just blow up) and it still won't reach the power of a conventional gasoline automobile.

RATED AT 250, 500, AND 750 CFM
And
STARTING AT ONLY $1695
You can bet that $1695 does not get you the 750CFM blowers. You get the 250CFM. Does that include the several batteries that power it? Doubtful. Remember, you get what you pay for.

joburnet
03-12-2007, 01:46 PM
Car battery and hybrid motor battery are two entirely different things. And you can not run a sc off a hybrid motor battery, the voltage is different i'm sure, you'd void the crap out of your warantee(woo, 3000$ for a replacement hybrid battery), and why in gods name would you want to? Are you aware that the hybrid vehicles, the gasoline engine produces about 40hp, the electric about 35hp, combine for 75hp. They are not zippy cars. 1.2litre gasoline engine, you can put 80lbs of boost(hypothetically, we all know it would just blow up) and it still won't reach the power of a conventional gasoline automobile.

And

You can bet that $1695 does not get you the 750CFM blowers. You get the 250CFM. Does that include the several batteries that power it? Doubtful. Remember, you get what you pay for.

Why so negative, do you have something against me or electric superchargers?

I called the guy and he said that you would expect to spend $2600 for the high end 750 cfm system. Depending on how you set it up you could run from 6-12 lbs of boost and he suggested 6 lbs of boost for the SVX engine. The good thing about an electric supercharger is you get max boost no matter your rpm.

The battery from a hybrid would work well for a supercharger and while nobody is going to supercharge a honda insight, you could supercharge a V6 Accord Hybrid with 253HP stock.

Myxalplyx
03-13-2007, 07:34 PM

I called the guy and he said that you would expect to spend $2600 for the high end 750 cfm system. Depending on how you set it up you could run from 6-12 lbs of boost and he suggested 6 lbs of boost for the SVX engine. The good thing about an electric supercharger is you get max boost no matter your rpm.

The battery from a hybrid would work well for a supercharger and while nobody is going to supercharge a honda insight, you could supercharge a V6 Accord Hybrid with 253HP stock.

Try it out! I am interested in seeing your results.

joburnet
03-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Try it out! I am interested in seeing your results.

While I think it probably works pretty well it's a lot more then I'm willing to put into the SVX. If your gonna do it then do it right and buy a faster car.

TomsSVX
03-13-2007, 07:53 PM

Go ahead... flow 750 cfm at 2krpms and let me know how it goes:D Seriously though, don't waste your time.

tom

Myxalplyx
03-16-2007, 07:20 PM
While I think it probably works pretty well it's a lot more then I'm willing to put into the SVX. If your gonna do it then do it right and buy a faster car.

I thought you brought it up because you were going to try it out. PoweredX2 already tested an E-Ram.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=25996&highlight=electric

So...u r not willing to try it out?