PDA

View Full Version : Intake sludge question

sicksubie
02-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Quick question: I am in the process of reassembling the intake stacks and manifold after polishing the heck out of them. When I originally took the intake tract apart there was a ton of oily sludge in the manifold and actually a puddle in the IRIS valve area. The stacks were equally disgusting and we won't even talk about the heads. My question is this can I put in a catch can in the two lines that run from each head to the snorkel? Would that elminate this sludge from building up again?

SVXRide
02-23-2007, 08:07 PM
1. It's normal
2. Install a new PCV valve

-Bill

sicksubie
02-23-2007, 08:14 PM
will that prevent the sludge from coming back?

SVXRide
02-23-2007, 08:56 PM
will that prevent the sludge from coming back?

No, but a fully functioning PCV system will keep it from becoming excessive.
-Bill

ensteele
02-23-2007, 09:20 PM
It is a comon problem and you have to clean the intake from time to time. If the PCV valve is not working properly, it will build up faster. :)

immortal_suby
02-24-2007, 07:16 AM
A few guys on the forester forum have installed catch cans with positive results. Go for it! Let us know how it works out - I"d like to try it also. Peaty on scoobymods has some detailed information on his install.

immortal_suby
02-24-2007, 07:30 AM
here's a link - but you will probably need to register there to view it.

http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2769

sicksubie
02-24-2007, 10:18 AM
what about the lines that run from the front of each head to the very top of the snorkel ( by the TB). Those were the lines that I was really wondering about. I have the sludge all the way back into the snorkel and both sides of the TB.

longassname
02-24-2007, 10:46 AM
We supposedly already have oil seperators in all of our pcv outlets...they just don't work very well. Particularly on these old engines. I'm starting to think that these engines start getting blow by but maintain oil control (oil control ring continues to function well) as they start getting up there in miles. So while they don't become oil burners they do start throwing more and more oil mist out the pcv.

Suggestions:
2 dual inlet oil catch cans to hook up all 4 lines.

dual inlet catch can to hook up the two lines off the block and add screening/mesh material into the oil seperators on the heads.

just add the screening/mesh material into the oil seperators on the heads

Do nothing until you build your engine and put the next generation of stage 3 on it--then install breather filters instead.

sicksubie
02-24-2007, 07:52 PM
Alright... After a very frustrating afternoon of trying to put the manifold on and breaking multiple hoses (I shouldn't complain at 159k they are pretty dry rotted) a very bad thing happened. I snapped the neck that the PSV hose attaches to. I got the new PCV valve in and was in the home stretch of getting the motor finished when this happened. I need to know if what I did was OK. I was able to connect the PCV hose to the neck but the other hose that runs to the snorkel is not happening. If I simply plug that hole in the snorkel what will the result be? Also, I used fuel line for the PCV hose, is that OK?

P.S. Thanks to Zavikan (James) for the PCV valve and hoses

immortal_suby
02-24-2007, 10:59 PM
that will be bad. you will build pressure in the crankcase. You need to try some epoxy or something to put the hose neck back on or maybe a brass fitting you can thread into the plastic or check ebay for an intake boot.

nextse7en
02-28-2007, 02:33 PM
JB weld works wonders for this, I just did somthing very similar.

-Patrick

sicksubie
02-28-2007, 02:37 PM
I bought hoses and the plastic neck from budfreak on sunday. They should be here soon and the car should be running by the weekend. :D

Beav
03-02-2007, 04:10 PM
You can install a catch can or do what many Corvette and Caddy mechanics do - go to WalMart/Home Depot/Harbor Freight/et al and buy a cheap air compressor water separator. Install it in the pcv line, lengthen as required. Drain at each oil change. Prolly less than $10.

sicksubie
03-02-2007, 04:56 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmm......... Tomorrow ( If budfreak got the stuff in the mail);)

Budfreak
03-12-2007, 03:26 PM
hmmmmmmmmmmm......... Tomorrow ( If budfreak got the stuff in the mail);)

Sorry for the delay, But a broken vehicle and then a funeral will cause that.:( It's on the way.:)