PDA

View Full Version : Subaru TecNICO International builds a SVX

nico i wrx u
02-21-2007, 05:51 PM
i know i am the new guy but i move real fast,

1: to day i got my brembos front an rear calipers i also got the badest wheels for my svx. the wheels are gold 17inch sti wheels 2007 jdm ones, there wide wheels its going to look sick on a green svx, also the bolt patter will be the same. so i got to get discs an rubber and i am putting it alll on. pics of this will be up soon.

2: after the brake wheel set up, im makeing a exhuste system. i am keeping the stock ex manifold and muffler, its going to be dual pipes right to the svx stock muffler joint no cats. has anyone tried this set up? and how loud will it be? also same time, open air filter and a tune and its done. pics for this will be up after i get the 1 step done.

nexus_7
02-21-2007, 06:35 PM
keep us posted.

Greg

It's Just Eric
02-21-2007, 08:05 PM
May want to look into what svxride did for an air intake. Most of the open cone typed filters are junk, especially when placed in the warm engine bay. Not to mention the lack of, or even negaive airflow to the filter...then theres the whole if it's aluminum it wont be insulated as well as the plastic, ect.

With your exhaust set up, you'll have a buttload of resonation at around 3000 rpm. Id recommend you either keep the pre-cats in or put in a set of resonators to help it out. Check out mychalo and svxfile's lockers for some exhaust ideas (svxfiles has some kind of factory mufflet modification in there you may find usefull)

Keep in ming the sock muffler is a singe inlet dual outlet...to run duals you'd either need two seperate mufflers or a 2 in 2 out muffler

Best of luck with the build

Crazy_pilot
02-21-2007, 08:08 PM
Pictures!:d

nico i wrx u
02-22-2007, 07:27 AM
well here it is svx and the rims and brakes soon to be on. question also will 235/45/17 fit with no problems on my svx?

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c261/TURBOEJ22B/IMGA0588.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c261/TURBOEJ22B/IMGA0589.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c261/TURBOEJ22B/IMGA0590.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c261/TURBOEJ22B/IMGA0591.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c261/TURBOEJ22B/IMGA0592.jpg

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c261/TURBOEJ22B/IMGA0593.jpg

TomsSVX
02-22-2007, 07:40 AM
is the bolt pattern on those wheels correct?? BTW congrats on being the first to get the Brembos... I have personally decided to go right past them and go with a BBK. Sounds like a solid plan and let us know how the rear calipers mount up;)

Tom

jman050
02-22-2007, 07:45 AM
looks like youll have the brembos done before me. Mine should arrive early next week. Hopefully you can mount them up without to much of a problem so i can copy :D

jman050
02-22-2007, 08:36 AM
Oh and ive seen you mention in more than one thread about giving your svx a "tune". Unless you are going with one of LANs upgrades how do you plan on accomplishing this? are you going to be running some sort of standalone?

nico i wrx u
02-22-2007, 09:05 AM
TomsSVX ya the bolt patten will fit on the svx these wheels are jdm sti 2005 6 an 7 5x114, also i only paid 800 canadian (+tax i hate so much) for the calipers and they came with brand new pads, for like 600 usa dollers you can get a set also. here is my local crazy rally guys that i get all my stuff they got **** LOADS of subaru mitsu all rally car stuff www.fourstarmotorsports.com ask for dan or frank.

jman050 i should get them on soon i got to get disc and there so EXPENSIVE WOW, but the front fit no problem the rear i got to try but i think they will fit, if not i got the backing plates on the way + i got to do rear bearings like every svx owner out there. also about tuning the car i have 2 of the best tuners in north america that i can go see. you might not have heard of them beacuse there in canada! the first is paul at http://www.neetronics.com/neet/, if the svx use a hitachi ecu and there is a chip then i can road tune it no problemo. he did my 91 legacy turbo ecu, the first person in the world to get a 1991 legacy turbo ecu tuned. and then there is yoshi at http://www.japanese-auto.com/.

nico i wrx u
02-22-2007, 02:00 PM
well guys i tried the rear calipers and they will not bolt up, so i got to change the backing plate.

the next problem is the front calipers will bolt up but the wheels will not fit on, it looks like i need a spacer or some big ass wheels.

TomsSVX
02-22-2007, 02:13 PM
what do you mean will not fit? Radius of the caliper fromt eh center of the hub too large or the offset is no good??

Tom

benebob
02-22-2007, 03:04 PM
what do you mean will not fit? Radius of the caliper fromt eh center of the hub too large or the offset is no good??

Tom

Sounds like he's running into the same problem we did when we went with the 16x10s with the imbound side of the rim hitting where the calibers are mounted:confused: .

TomsSVX
02-22-2007, 03:23 PM
I understand that BUT if the brembos are hitting the inside of the wheel, the wheels were never on a car with the Brembos (probobly 4 pots) OR the offset of the hub is different (which i doubt but I would like to dispell this now before I order my BBK)

Tom

svxstarship
02-22-2007, 03:27 PM
Should be only the offset. Longer studs and big spacers. Or new wheels. Had to go to 40mm offset to get the Movit's to fit (just barely).

jman050
02-22-2007, 04:16 PM
Should be only the offset. Longer studs and big spacers. Or new wheels. Had to go to 40mm offset to get the Movit's to fit (just barely).

yeah but how the heck did the brembos fit on an sti and he has sti wheels but for some reason they dont mate properly on the svx??? that doesnt make any sence to me unless the wheels came off a car that didnt have the brembos.

jman050
02-22-2007, 04:18 PM
Maybe im being stupid right now but didnt he say he tried the wheels on without the rotor? wouldnt that cause it to hit?:confused:

benebob
02-22-2007, 05:42 PM
I understand that BUT if the brembos are hitting the inside of the wheel, the wheels were never on a car with the Brembos (probobly 4 pots) OR the offset of the hub is different (which i doubt but I would like to dispell this now before I order my BBK)

Tom

That's what I was getting at that there must be something different with the hub that doesn't give it the same offset. Maybe he could shim it out a 1/4 inch or so. Can buy those Mr Gasket spacers for $10 or so a set.

nico i wrx u
02-22-2007, 07:43 PM
ok this is what happend the brembos will fit on the mount of the knuckles but i would need coustom rotors and huge wheels like 18inch.

the problem is the caliper when putting it on the svx it push it out more so you need a bigger rim and a coustom made rotor, then i tried changeing the hole knuckels but there is none that will work for it. so the only way to make this work is big wheels and coustom rotors.

also i tried the 4pots, now this is going to be nuts. the 4pots fit but you would need a sti rotor and then you would need to get the 4pot and cut out a little metal so the rotor could fit and it would work, but the svx stock wheels will not clear the 4pots so you need agian new rims.

in the rear its just a matter of changing the backing plates, but i think it might get crazy like the front.

all this work to day WOW, all i no now is i am going to slap the brembos on my gc8. i returned the nice sti wheels so now its wheel huntting agian!! wow what a mess, at least we all know now what subaru parts will work for brake on a svx.

jman050
02-22-2007, 08:59 PM
^$&#&^##&##*@*@*@:mad: considering my brembos are in the mail and i already paid for them....there are so many 4 letter words i want to say right now

If the svx bracket pushes the brembo out more why would u need an 18 inch wheel? is the bracket farther in radius from the hub than the sti caliper bracket?

dynomatt
02-22-2007, 09:04 PM

Tom

With the work that I did, the hub mount of the STi's is different to the SVX meaning that the calipers will sit further out radially from the hub than when they are mounted on the STi.

I'm surprised they don't fit under the 17" wheels though as I thought the STi four piston calipers did fit...maybe the difference in physical size of the brembos is sufficient to hit the wheel?

Matt

TomsSVX
02-22-2007, 10:37 PM
Hey Jman, ship those calipers to me so I can do some test fitting on my spare hub... That is if they already have the rotor as well...

Tom

TomsSVX
02-22-2007, 10:38 PM
ok this is what happend the brembos will fit on the mount of the knuckles but i would need coustom rotors and huge wheels like 18inch.

the problem is the caliper when putting it on the svx it push it out more so you need a bigger rim and a coustom made rotor, then i tried changeing the hole knuckels but there is none that will work for it. so the only way to make this work is big wheels and coustom rotors.

also i tried the 4pots, now this is going to be nuts. the 4pots fit but you would need a sti rotor and then you would need to get the 4pot and cut out a little metal so the rotor could fit and it would work, but the svx stock wheels will not clear the 4pots so you need agian new rims.

in the rear its just a matter of changing the backing plates, but i think it might get crazy like the front.

all this work to day WOW, all i no now is i am going to slap the brembos on my gc8. i returned the nice sti wheels so now its wheel huntting agian!! wow what a mess, at least we all know now what subaru parts will work for brake on a svx.

I just want to be clear... You tried to fit the Brembo rotors with the 114.3 bolt pattern?? Or you tried to fit the SVX rotor?

Tom

nico i wrx u
02-22-2007, 10:48 PM
tom i tried everything the rotor are to small for when the brembos are on the svx knuckl

the rims you see in the pics will fit not with the brembos on stock svx knuckls. when you put the brembo brake on the svx knuckl it makes it sit higher so even a bigger wheel is needed and a coustom rotor must be made.

so the guys at four star helped me out even more, they tried a brembo brake from a mitsu and if you widen the holes on the knuckls it would work with that caliper and mitsu rotor becuse the rotor is a little bigger but you still need a 18inch wheel.

we tried everything today, the last thing is a 2006 knuckl on the svx but it would change the angle of the shock and geomatry.

i give up on this car, it would be nice but its costting to much to do all this. fixing it to perfection stock and selling it.

jman050
02-22-2007, 11:16 PM
Tom- my brakes arrive this monday and ill be coming back to jersey for spring break in a week (im in florida now). ill ship them to you from jersey...otherwise it will be a fortune. What do you need a front caliper and rotor? Im curious to see if you think its possible to make these work somehow.

TomsSVX
02-23-2007, 06:42 AM
I think they will work, Or i Know a way to make em work... I hope

Tom

longassname
02-23-2007, 09:21 AM
i'm not particularly interested in doing this to my car but if you have calipers that bolt to the knuckles and want to see if they will fit under an 18 I'll test it if you send it to me.

your cars would look prettier with drift-R's anyway ;)

jman050
02-23-2007, 12:31 PM
thats my main problem i just bought 17s and kumho mx so that i could do this.....im not going out and buying 18s now ;)

jman050
02-23-2007, 01:00 PM
tom i tried everything the rotor are to small for when the brembos are on the svx knuckl

the rims you see in the pics will fit not with the brembos on stock svx knuckls. when you put the brembo brake on the svx knuckl it makes it sit higher so even a bigger wheel is needed and a coustom rotor must be made.

so the guys at four star helped me out even more, they tried a brembo brake from a mitsu and if you widen the holes on the knuckls it would work with that caliper and mitsu rotor becuse the rotor is a little bigger but you still need a 18inch wheel.

we tried everything today, the last thing is a 2006 knuckl on the svx but it would change the angle of the shock and geomatry.

i give up on this car, it would be nice but its costting to much to do all this. fixing it to perfection stock and selling it.

IDK what ur shop was doing but the evo rotor is not bigger than the sti....the evo rotor is 12.6-12.7 depending on source....the sti is 12.85"

TomsSVX
02-23-2007, 01:35 PM
Like I said.. send me your front rotors and disks when you get them and I will mock them under my 18's on a spare hub

Tom

longassname
02-23-2007, 02:23 PM
ah didn't know you had 18's.

nico i wrx u
02-23-2007, 03:27 PM
they will fit under a 18inch no problem and they will bolt up to our knuckls your going to need coustom rotors for sure.

also about useing the mitsu stuff i made a mistake the caliper on the mitsu sits closer to the rotor so useing a sti rotor and mitsu caliper will work, but you got to drill the knuckl holes out a little bit.

tom i hope you can get them on you will see when you have them in your hands and start to do it that your going to run in to the same problem. i hope you can make them work i gave up. stick with my gc8 LOL

jman050
02-23-2007, 04:39 PM
they will fit under a 18inch no problem and they will bolt up to our knuckls your going to need coustom rotors for sure.

also about useing the mitsu stuff i made a mistake the caliper on the mitsu sits closer to the rotor so useing a sti rotor and mitsu caliper will work, but you got to drill the knuckl holes out a little bit.

tom i hope you can get them on you will see when you have them in your hands and start to do it that your going to run in to the same problem. i hope you can make them work i gave up. stick with my gc8 LOL

if the mitsubishi calipers still didnt fit under the 17 i highly doubt the entire pad was even contacting the rotor....because stock both the sti and evo manage to fit under 17s. unless the mitsu caliper is physically larger than the sti....then that paired with a bigger disc would cause problems.

Tom- what would you need? just one front caliper and disc or both? or a front and a rear:D

svxstarship
02-23-2007, 07:57 PM
Nico,

If you are really giving up on it, how much are you looking for?

nico i wrx u
02-23-2007, 09:30 PM
i cant type well to explian it all but tom will see whats going on and then he can tell you becuse i know what i did and what other pepole tried to make work and it wont work.

svxstarship no i am not selling them i am putting them to good use on my gc8 i just got new sti wheels to fit on my gc8 also.

i am going to stick the 4pots 2pots on the svx becuse then i can clear a 17inch, for me to explian how to do it it would take for ever.

TomsSVX
02-23-2007, 09:56 PM
yeah, plus I have a couple spare hubs at home so it will be easy to take measurements

Tom

TomsSVX
02-23-2007, 09:59 PM
if the mitsubishi calipers still didnt fit under the 17 i highly doubt the entire pad was even contacting the rotor....because stock both the sti and evo manage to fit under 17s. unless the mitsu caliper is physically larger than the sti....then that paired with a bigger disc would cause problems.

Tom- what would you need? just one front caliper and disc or both? or a front and a rear:D

Just one front caliper and one disk... If you have the rears, send me the backing plate, caliper and rotor and I will make sure they bolt onto our hub. Measurements will allow us to find out what rotors we need or however else we can make them fit

Tom

solarsvx
03-01-2007, 11:17 AM
can you have a custom made rotors to work to make up the diffrences from the svx to the sti

so a 05+ sti brembos bolt up to the svx its just the rotors were having issues with ?

i thought the evo/sti/350z all used the the same brembos, i thought the part # was the same?

jman050
03-01-2007, 11:49 AM
can you have a custom made rotors to work to make up the diffrences from the svx to the sti

so a 05+ sti brembos bolt up to the svx its just the rotors were having issues with ?

i thought the evo/sti/350z all used the the same brembos, i thought the part # was the same?

apparently the caliper moutning points are slightly different. but we will see, im sending mine to next week so that he can try to test fit.

TomsSVX
03-01-2007, 01:33 PM

Thats what I am think as well... Who cares if you need 18's you will have a 13.8" rotor:eek: :eek: :eek:

But I could sware that when I mocked the rotor(5x100) and the caliper to my car they were going to fit no problem... I will wait for the Stuff to arive from Jman until I can say more. BTW I need you to send me the pass side caliper and either rotor(doesn't make a difference)

Tom

wawazat??
03-01-2007, 04:43 PM
Good luck Tom. The caliper mounting points on the SVX are located further outbaord from the center of the hub on the SVX than on the rest of the Impreza/Legacy hubs. I have a set of StopTechs from an '02 WRX buddy that I bolted on along with the matching two-piece rotor. The caliper was at least 1.5" too far off the rotor and the pads just barely clamped the outside edge of the larger rotor. An adapter will be required that brings the caliper IN instead of OUT which is what most BBK adapters do.

Todd

jman050
03-01-2007, 06:42 PM
i wonder if anyone has a picture of one of these brackets that allows the caliper to move in towards the hub? I cant really picture this in my head.

TomsSVX
03-02-2007, 09:12 AM
that would offset the rotor

Tom

jman050
03-02-2007, 02:10 PM
that would offset the rotor

Tom
thanks...yeah thats what i was figuring

fasdude
03-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey Nico.

Is that the 97 Polo Green that was on Autotrader.ca from somewhere in Quebec a few months back? I was seriously considering buying it because it only had 97000 kms. The problem was they were asking way too much for it - $11000 if I recall correctly. If it's the same one, may I ask how much you were able to get it for and what shape was it in. (it was hard to tell the shape of the car from that ****ty picture in the ad). Did it need anything?
Just wondering...

nico i wrx u
03-13-2007, 07:08 AM
no thats not where i got it from, its a long story. if your looking for one i am going to sell it very soon, all most done my baby.

fasdude
03-13-2007, 08:37 AM
no thats not where i got it from, its a long story. if your looking for one i am going to sell it very soon, all most done my baby.

I pm'ed you.