PDA

View Full Version : Question for the 5-Speed Folks.

RojoRocket
02-11-2007, 09:02 AM
Having just ordered up a clutch and "snout kit" for my Legacy I wanted to ask you folks that drive a manual trans in the SVX if you experience any rough, or "juddery" clutch action in the conversion? I ask because I've been unhappy with the clutch action on my GT since purchase as a used car. My previous mech showed me the aluminum snout of the trans, that the throw-out bearing rides on, and demonstrated its tendency to wear/groove over time. The installation of a stainless snout kit, including a new oversize throw-out bearing is a fix for this condition, and I was wondering if anyone had experienced the problem or tried the kit to remedy it. Manufacturer PDM.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-394611.html
I u/s there are "pull" types and "push" types of clutches in use and since most conversions use Legacy/WRX parts wondered about the application here.

Glenn

TomsSVX
02-11-2007, 08:32 PM
Pull type clutches are used on turbo cars spanning back since the turbo legacy. Push are used on just about everything else. I also think a little grease on the inside of the throw out bearing will do you good. Most of your clutch chatter is from a uneven flywheel, so if you are doing the clutch, have the flywheel but

Tom

mbtoloczko
03-02-2007, 06:11 PM
Yep, over on Nasioc, the clutch judder issue has been blamed in part, or completely by some people, on the wear that you describe. Seems that PDM no longer makes the sleeve. Judder can arise from other causes also. Abused clutches can cause it. Soft engine and tranny mounts can also cause it. Most high performance clutches have a tendency to judder when cold because of the high coefficient of friction of the clutch disk. My Evo does it ever so slightly in the morning, and I've never abused the clutch. Installing a stiffer engine mount minimized the issue.

RojoRocket
03-02-2007, 06:49 PM
Someone is still making the "snout kits" cuz my mechanic has them in stock. The car is back on the road. "Did I do the right thing" thread. I got a look in the pan, where a nice pile of debris indicated where a rod bearing had self destructed. More bad juju allowed enough to circulate to score the cam journals in the heads as well. My guy "donated" a set of used heads to the effort, and we have freshly ground valves, new guides, etc. He charged me $350 to fetch the car and the wife, just over 600 mi round trip. Going through break-in of 1500mi <4K rpm before retorquing the heads and an oil change to Mobil1. Clutch and snout were $450 total, and silky smooth action.. Even the wife noticed!! :eek:

Glenn

Speedklix
03-05-2007, 07:42 AM
and silky smooth action..
It always seems that way for the first 500 miles or so :D
(if everything is lubed correctly)

Glad to hear it's back on the streets.

SVX10
03-08-2007, 04:32 PM
Soft engine and tranny mounts can also cause it.
I have a judder from my 5MT swap, and I think this is what it is. I just recieved harder mounts from Tom, so when I get them in I'll see if it fixes the problem.

My Evo does it ever so slightly in the morning, and I've never abused the clutch. Installing a stiffer engine mount minimized the issue.
Huh...funny. My STi doesn't do that. Strange :D :D hahaha..just kidding. Please don't say anything about lap times :o