PDA

View Full Version : green or orange coolant

tmak26b
01-29-2007, 10:34 PM
what does the svx use?

NikFu S.
01-30-2007, 01:23 AM
Both? I've used either one and mixed them as well (not recommended but I change my fluids quite frequently). Doesn't make any difference far as I'm concerned.

If you really need to be pointed somewhere, just go with green.

--
Oh and since you are here, read up.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/how_to_central/automotive/1272436.html?page=1

svxfiles
01-30-2007, 06:26 AM
GREEN only please.

Our shop had a low mileage 3.1 Chevy, the head gasket leaked, the orange antifreeze got into the oil, turned the oil to jelly, and smoked the bearings!:mad:

DarknessofDeath
01-30-2007, 06:46 AM
that's not pleasant.
i use green myself

SSSVX
01-30-2007, 11:22 AM
I thought orange is the better coolant than the green? :rolleyes:

But not sure if it's suitable for the SVX.

Crazy_pilot
01-30-2007, 11:49 AM
As far as I know using one or the other doesn't really matter too much, but if you mix the two colours they can congeal into a goopy mess which will restrict coolant flow. If you get a full water flush putting orange stuff in might not do any harm, but why chance it.

When completely befuddled and terrified, just add water.

Beav
01-30-2007, 03:45 PM
There is a difference and cars are engineered for one or the other. Definitely never mix them.

Suby Fan
01-30-2007, 07:20 PM
GREEN only please.

Our shop had a low mileage 3.1 Chevy, the head gasket leaked, the orange antifreeze got into the oil, turned the oil to jelly, and smoked the bearings!:mad:

but thats not due to the coolent its due to the fact that chevy lower intake gaskets were designed by apes... no i take that back... i dont want to offend any apes that might be reading this :rolleyes:

by orange i think you mean Dexcool (sp?) which is GM's "extended life" coolent its crap, and gels up when its mixed with regular coolent or so i have been told (never actually seen it)... so unless your subaru turns into a chevy use green.

NikFu S.
01-30-2007, 07:29 PM
but thats not due to the coolent its due to the fact that chevy lower intake gaskets were designed by apes... no i take that back... i dont want to offend any apes that might be reading this :rolleyes:

by orange i think you mean Dexcool (sp?) which is GM's "extended life" coolent its crap, and gels up when its mixed with regular coolent or so i have been told (never actually seen it)... so unless your subaru turns into a chevy use green.

I haven't seen any problem with anything gelling up. The only thing I would worry about is the corrosive potential on any steel or iron based parts.

I do try to run only green, and have done so for years, but there was one time I had some orange for whatever reason and I had to use it.
There were no apparent side effects.

ensteele
01-30-2007, 07:36 PM
There is a difference and cars are engineered for one or the other. Definitely never mix them.

Beav

Which one would you use in a SVX? I would guess Green.:)

SSSVX
01-30-2007, 09:41 PM
Is "green" was the stock coolant color for the SVX?

Some green coolant they're already pre-mixed with water and states is compatible with other brands?

svxfiles
01-31-2007, 04:08 AM
Is "green" was the stock coolant color for the SVX?

Some green coolant they're already pre-mixed with water and states is compatible with other brands?
Green was the stock color antifreeze for the SVX.

Beav
01-31-2007, 03:38 PM
Compatible with other brands does not mean compatible with other types.

Tiamat-red
02-01-2007, 05:56 PM
If I remember correctly the problem with the orange(Dex cool), was that it corroded the interior bits of the system and caused clogs?
It does have "Organic Additive Technology", which sounds really cool, but was just developed to be more environmentally safer. Or less harmful I guess.
And then theres the DC red version which had the even cooler "Hybrid Organic Additive Technology".
Both of which were supposed to last for like 100,000 miles or something.
But I think they ended up being more harmful to the cars then the environment.

Dunno, but anything that is supposed to be environmentally safer sounds like it probably isn't as good to me.
Like catalytic converters. :D

NikFu S.
02-01-2007, 10:21 PM
I read the bottle of coolant I have and it says it's safe to mix with all other colors.

http://www.prestonezone.com/

dwd1985
02-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Theres another coolant color besides green? :confused:

tmak26b
02-01-2007, 11:06 PM
Green was the stock color antifreeze for the SVX.

thanks,needed to know what color it was stock. I dont want to mix it

Beav
02-02-2007, 01:58 PM
Theres another coolant color besides green? :confused:

Green, red, orange, gold and blue - AFAIK.