PDA

View Full Version : Improving performance on my....

Tim
01-29-2007, 05:14 PM
rear defroster?

When I first got my car, all the ice on the rear windshield would melt off easily but as the years go by it takes longer and longer for the ice to melt off.

With today's snow the ice took about a good 20 minutes before it would really melt off, but that was after scraping away most of it. It seems like the center of the windshield melts ice the best while the outside starts to fade in effectiveness.

Is there anything we can do to revive the rear defroster?

Trevor
01-29-2007, 05:41 PM
There is nothing you can do in respect of the actual element imbedded within the glass and it would be unusual for this to fail. The elements run crosswise, so that an open circuit in one, would result in a vertical gap in the heated area, not at the sides.

You should carefully check all connections and measure the voltage at the connectors closest to the glass, with the element energised so that any voltage drop/loss will be apparent. If you are not recording say eleven volts or more with no engine running, you will have to investigate further. As you have noticed a deterioration of late, a faulty connection is likely.

Tim
01-30-2007, 06:05 AM
Thanks Trevor... do you know if there is a wiring schematic somewhere?

Trevor
01-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Thanks Trevor... do you know if there is a wiring schematic somewhere?

I have one for my JDM model but it shows little that will assist you. Finding the closest connection to the element is your first step. There are usually tabs on the glass with push on connectors. Be careful here and don't break them.

It is a good idea to sharpen the points on your meter probes to get to the actual tabs on the glass so as to prove the last point in the circuit. Blunt points can allow you to be fooled by paint, dirt, rust or corrosion.

TomsSVX
01-30-2007, 02:33 PM
light the car on fire before you get in it... you know, just to warm it up:p

Tom

Tim
01-30-2007, 06:41 PM
I could light the oil stain on my driveway to get it cookin' :P.... I think im looking at mid february... do you have any new projects coming up Tom?

TomsSVX
01-30-2007, 07:03 PM
not that I know of... I you want, you can drop it off sooner than that and take my teal until you can get back

Tom

Suby Fan
01-30-2007, 07:25 PM
light the car on fire before you get in it... you know, just to warm it up:p

Tom

why does every thing around you have to blow up?

Tim
01-30-2007, 07:33 PM
not that I know of... I you want, you can drop it off sooner than that and take my teal until you can get back

Tom

Actually... if we can do that I can come up anytime then. Maybe we can do something like drop it off on like a thursday night or friday night and then come back whenever it's finished. Let me know :)...

How would you get around though? Is your silver fully operational?