PDA

View Full Version : Power Loss and Pulsing Lights

blue thunder
01-26-2007, 02:51 AM
I went to start my car tonight after work and had a few strange things happen. The lights half way came on faded and died. I got a jump start from a co-worker and started home. I noticed the interior lights and headlights were slightly pulsing. At one point I had a CD playing and put on my bright lights on and the radio literally stopped playing until I went back to low beams. After parking car at home I cleaned my battery terminals which had a lot of a powdery substance around the positive terminal. I still could not start the car. Low juice. With the key on and the dash lights on the check engine light was reverberating like I have never seen before. You could hear it. Is my alternator causing this or possibly a whacked out battery. Coincidentally, this was one of the coldest nights so far this winter here. Thanks for any feedback on this so I can plan a course of action.

Mike:)

Manarius
01-26-2007, 07:14 AM
I'd say that your alternator is shot. You can go have it load tested at some place like Autozone, but they're probably going to come to the same conclusion.

Suby Fan
01-26-2007, 08:15 AM
is your battery light on? if not then its the battery

Trevor
01-26-2007, 01:50 PM
I went to start my car tonight after work and had a few strange things happen. The lights half way came on faded and died. I got a jump start from a co-worker and started home. I noticed the interior lights and headlights were slightly pulsing. At one point I had a CD playing and put on my bright lights on and the radio literally stopped playing until I went back to low beams. After parking car at home I cleaned my battery terminals which had a lot of a powdery substance around the positive terminal. I still could not start the car. Low juice. With the key on and the dash lights on the check engine light was reverberating like I have never seen before. You could hear it. Is my alternator causing this or possibly a whacked out battery. Coincidentally, this was one of the coldest nights so far this winter here. Thanks for any feedback on this so I can plan a course of action.

What you report most likely indicates a faulty battery. ---- Jump start required; with high beams on, not sufficient current available; again could not start the car; not enough current available with ignition engaged, and what you are possibly hearing could be the main relay chattering.

blue thunder
01-26-2007, 01:59 PM
Yes it was just the battery. I had the alternator checked and it was reading perfect. Just put everything back together with the new battery and belt and it cranked right up. I never had a battery give me these issues so I assumed the alternator. Thanks for all the responses.