PDA

View Full Version : site design

halistan
05-07-2001, 04:38 PM
OK, now, as far as this site goes it is tops, but for some god awful reason you just can't get the colors right. I mean for the love of god can we do something about this before i lose my lunch????? the blue scroll bar on the right is ok, but the rest has to go. Please, please, please stop killing my sense of sight like this.

~Ray

Chris
05-07-2001, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by halistan
OK, now, as far as this site goes it is tops, but for some god awful reason you just can't get the colors right. I mean for the love of god can we do something about this before i lose my lunch????? the blue scroll bar on the right is ok, but the rest has to go. Please, please, please stop killing my sense of sight like this.

~Ray

OK, I can take suggestions and contructive criticism (key note on contructive). But in my humble opinion being rude about it makes me about as motivated to fix things like a trip to the dentist. Like I have noted in earlier messages. I am an administrator. Not a graphics artist. I dont do desktop publishing or format design and layout. I was forced to do such work here because I asked for some graphics help and it seemed that our diverse group lacked people with such skills or availible time. Also as a reminder I am color-blind! How about this.... I wil change the board to be a black and white news type, and when we get a graphics person onboard he can colorize it. Remeber ---- #1 Im a fish out of water. I am an administrator not a graphics artist. I am doin the best I can in a field I KNOW I an not good at, but dont have any other options. #2 I am not getting paid for this. I aim to please, but blowing your lunch at me is hardly payment for work done and to let me know that I ofended your color sensitive eyes. I am sorry.

Chris
SVX Admin

halistan
05-07-2001, 06:03 PM
Ooops, i really didn't mean to come off as strong as i did now that i am re-reading the post. Sorry 'bout that. Also, don't get me wrong, i know this is just a side thing and i want you to know that i am 1) extremely grateful for all the work you have done, and 2) unaware that you were that color blind. Now, being color blind myself i know what a pain it is to try and get things to look right. If you would like I would like to ask Marisa (kozypup) if she would be willing to assist you in the page set up. She has an absolutely goregeous website that she designed (she's really quite good). I'll have to send you the URL for it when i get home. She could really do wonders for this place if you allowed her to. She loves web design and could help...that is if that would be ok with you and the other admins. Please let us know.

~Ray

zsvx
05-07-2001, 06:16 PM
I liked it the way it was. Unfortunatly I don't think this thread will ever die until each user can customize their own colors (how's that for a project sith:D)

Edit: I forgot the constructive criticism :p

Keeping the colors like they are right now is OK but the white background would be easier on the eyes if there was some sort of border around it (a la superhonda.org/board)

John19688
05-07-2001, 07:12 PM
Good move on the site design.

Go to any website by a Fortune 500 company and you will see a white background 99% of the time. I think a white background gives it a more professional look. And it really makes the logo stand out.

Now if we could take all the links at the top of the page and make them into some sort of button pad to the right of the logo....

Glad to see the new colors.

halistan
05-08-2001, 09:51 AM
Man, what can i say? This looks great!! Much better than before.

~Ray

sith
05-08-2001, 11:33 AM
If anybody comes across a page on the site that still has any portion of the old colour scheme (most likely the blueish boxes) could you send me an email, sith@subaru-svx.net? I think I got all the "hardcoded" references to the old scheme, but I'm not 100% sure.

Aredubjay
05-08-2001, 12:55 PM
I have one little "nitpicky" thing, and this is not a criticism, just a request. If it can't be done, no biggy. Can the site navigation tools and list be "squidged" over, as well as the final two "buttons?" Would that foul anything up? If everything was within one view (which these small things are preventing), people would be more cognicent of the chat and other functions, as well as being more capable of seeing who's in chat so they can join in. It stays hidden unless you go to the trouble of scrolling over, which I often forget to do.

sith
05-08-2001, 01:03 PM
I think that may be because of the resolution you're running your screen at - on my monitor they are all on the screen without side to side scrolling. Either way, we're going to be designing a new button bar (the usercp/register/calendar/whatever bar), so if we can make that a bit smaller it should slide everything over.

Aredubjay
05-08-2001, 01:13 PM
As always, eager to respond and comply. Thanks, sith.

Aredubjay
05-08-2001, 01:21 PM
Yes, I checked my res. I can get everyting in at 1024 x 768, but, on my 17" monitor, it makes type and all, miniscule. Things are much more comfortable for my eyes (when writing) at 800 x 600. I can live with it. Thanks again.

LarryIII
05-08-2001, 03:06 PM
Sith,

Thank you thank you. My tired old eyes thank you too. You are doing a terrific job considering that you claim to be only an administrator. Keep on Administratin'.

Larry III

tober76b
05-08-2001, 07:32 PM
sith,
(to quote my roommate)......you rock!
nice eye pleasing layout.
keep up the good work.....we all appreciate it.
toby

sith
05-08-2001, 08:56 PM
Just for everyones info ... Chris did the colour scheme on the forums, I just did the other parts of the site. Dun want to take credit for chris's work.

sith
05-08-2001, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I have one little "nitpicky" thing, and this is not a criticism, just a request. If it can't be done, no biggy. Can the site navigation tools and list be "squidged" over, as well as the final two "buttons?" Would that foul anything up? If everything was within one view (which these small things are preventing), people would be more cognicent of the chat and other functions, as well as being more capable of seeing who's in chat so they can join in. It stays hidden unless you go to the trouble of scrolling over, which I often forget to do.

It should be wrapping around now - is it for you Aredub? I'll come up with a better solution at some point, but for now at least everything should fit on your screen.

Aredubjay
05-08-2001, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by sith

It should be wrapping around now - is it for you Aredub? I'll come up with a better solution at some point, but for now at least everything should fit on your screen.

Sith, you are most excellent. Everything's there! It's a miracle! You guys are just way too accommodating! Thanks!

halistan
05-09-2001, 09:18 AM
is there any way to make the threads show the most recent message first rather than scrolling to the end of a thread? Just wondering. Thanks, Ray

svxxx26
05-09-2001, 09:22 AM
<<is there any way to make the threads show the most recent message first rather than scrolling to the end of a thread? >>

Ray, go to the far right column that has the name of the person that posted last, and click on the arrow inside that box. That will take you to the latest post in the thread.

Aredubjay
05-09-2001, 11:56 AM
I am extremely impressed and happy with the few "tweaks" that have gone on in the past few days. The site looks much cleaner, and the fact that everything is now fits into my screen without scrolling right, makes things so much more cool. Thanks again guys for your hard work and your diligence in doing what's possible while still attempting the impossible. Hats off to you and may your trannies last forever.

Aredubjay
05-09-2001, 07:51 PM
You guys are at it again, huh? New buttons at the bottom. I had to check 'em out. I was reading a message by Jerry (svxxx26) and clicked the "search" button at the bottom of it, and dang! It came up with every message Jerry ever wrote. WOW! Can't wait to click the FAQ button at the top. :) (Guess I oughtta get to work, huh?) Lookin' good, guys -- really, lookin' good!

tober76b
05-10-2001, 12:40 AM
Originally posted by sith
Just for everyones info ... Chris did the colour scheme on the forums, I just did the other parts of the site. Dun want to take credit for chris's work.

alright then...........chris, you rock!
toby

Seraph
05-10-2001, 04:29 PM
Guys. I like the forum. But the site can have more info and intro on the car with decent pictures IMHO. Are you guys doing anything about the overalll look of the site? The forum is going fine. Car registration and what not will be nice. If you need help, let me know as well. :p

Aredubjay
05-10-2001, 05:16 PM
Originally posted by Seraphim
Guys. I like the forum. But the site can have more info and intro on the car with decent pictures IMHO. Are you guys doing anything about the overalll look of the site? The forum is going fine. Car registration and what not will be nice. If you need help, let me know as well. :p

"Seraphim" this forum is simply that, a forum. People like you, John Rowe, Joe Spitz and others, have compiled much, much more information than we could ever use :) You need to add your site to the "links" so that the pix and info you have supplied are readily available to us. The aforementioned have done a stellar job of gathering info. I don't think there's any need to be redundant, to be redundant. :D