PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change

AlcyoneDaze
01-13-2007, 02:09 PM
I just changed my oil today, Castrol Syntec 10W30 and a NAPA Gold oil filter.
The manual says capacity is 6.3qts but the dipstick is very vague and I only had to put in 6qts to fill it. Anyone have any experience with over/underfilling the oil? Is it fine to use a NAPA filter, or is Subaru OEM better?

ensteele
01-13-2007, 04:14 PM
I ususally find that I need to put in almost 7 qts to fill it. As far as filters go, just get a good quality filter and change them each time you change the oil. :) There are several threads on oil filters and which ones are the best. Use the search function and you can read up on it. Good luck. :) :)

dannmarr
01-13-2007, 06:12 PM
It's a good idea to change the oil when the engine is warm. This way the majority of the oil will drain out smoothly. After adding new oil, drive the car a little, this will allow the filter to fill up with oil. Then re-check the dip stick. Add more if needed. If you change the oil every 3k miles, any oil filter will be fine.

msvx95
01-15-2007, 04:01 AM
I usually use 6-1/3 quarts Mobil-1 high mileage and screw on a Fram oil filter.
I always change the oil plug crush ring too.

dcarrb
01-15-2007, 05:31 AM
Anyone have any experience with over/underfilling the oil? Is it fine to use a NAPA filter, or is Subaru OEM better?

You don't want to under- or overfill. Just add six quarts, drive it for a day or two, then check the dipstick with the oil warm and the car on a level surface. There's no need to worry about keeping the crankcase filled dead-on the F-mark.

Name any oil filter and somebody will tell you it's garbage. I agree with those above that the brand of filter doesn't make much difference; it's how often you change it that matters.

dcb

Mr. Pockets
01-15-2007, 06:45 AM
Please post threads in the appropriate forum.

msvx95
01-16-2007, 04:08 AM
Changing oil and asking the question is a "technical" question. How is it not in the right section??

Mr. Pockets
01-16-2007, 06:10 PM
Changing oil and asking the question is a "technical" question. How is it not in the right section??

It's in the right forum now. I moved it from 'general.' :)