PDA

View Full Version : Rear discs are different between countries!

floatingkiwi
01-08-2007, 02:02 PM
So, finally got back to NZ to put the new discs (ordered from Race Concepts) on my car - and discovered:
The new rear discs from the US are non-ventilated, and my JDM spec discs are VENTILATED! Argggh!
No need to mention they are completely different thicknesses.

What would you all suggest? Put the fronts on anyway? I assume the rear calipers are different as well, haven't actually pulled them to bits yet to see if there is any differences between them and the diagrams on Subaruparts website.

Suggestions?

Matt

TomsSVX
01-08-2007, 06:05 PM
send me your ventilated disks and calipers and I will send you mine;)

Tom

floatingkiwi
01-08-2007, 07:42 PM
send me your ventilated disks and calipers and I will send you mine;)

Tom

:rolleyes: Thinking, thinking......

JDW-SVX
01-08-2007, 09:54 PM
The new rear discs from the US are non-ventilated, and my JDM spec discs are VENTILATED!

Very odd - is your SVX NZ-spec or JDM-spec?

If NZ-spec SVXs had ventilated rear discs, I am at a loss to explain why my AU-spec SVX has solid rear discs!!!!

Jason.

Trevor
01-08-2007, 11:10 PM
So, finally got back to NZ to put the new discs (ordered from Race Concepts) on my car - and discovered:
The new rear discs from the US are non-ventilated, and my JDM spec discs are VENTILATED! Argggh!
No need to mention they are completely different thicknesses.

What would you all suggest? Put the fronts on anyway? I assume the rear calipers are different as well, haven't actually pulled them to bits yet to see if there is any differences between them and the diagrams on Subaruparts website.

Suggestions?

Matt

Hi Matt,

You show that your car has done only 100,000 Km, but you appear to be involved in a lot restoration work. My car also imported like yours, now shows 156,000 Km and to all intents and purposes, is in perfect original condition. The odometer reading was confirmed by Japanese service receipts, I found in the car after purchase and were not known to the dealer.

The discs/rotore on mine are certainly not ventilated/drilled/slotted and are in good original condition. Could it be that the odometer reading on your car is not genuine, and the brake discs/rotors are not original? :confused:

TomsSVX
01-09-2007, 07:22 AM
From what I have come to learn is that AU spec cars have vented rear brakes

Tom

svxstarship
01-09-2007, 03:03 PM
And here in Canada I have twice walked out of the local parts store (not the dealer) with Eurorotor Brand vented disks only to find the mistake later. Strange that they would carry these as they are all solid in N.A. To bad because the quality looked better than the stock solid ones. If i could get the correct calipers for the vented I would change.:)

TomsSVX
01-09-2007, 10:50 PM
go back to the parts store and see if you can... If so, contact me... I want a set of rear vented rotors;)

Tom

dynomatt
01-10-2007, 03:37 PM
Tom, the AU cars I've looked at are solid rears?

hence I used the JDM venteds on the rally car.

Matt, the caliper is different, so a swap to solids would need the solid calipers, and in my view, would be a step backwards.

They are the same disc as the WRX's, just with a different PCD, so one option could be that you get WRX ones and redrill, or alternatively, DBA offers blank rotors that you can get drilled yourself.

Matt

svxstarship
01-10-2007, 06:20 PM
Can't get the right calipers here in Canada for the vented rotors. Legacy GT has same size vented rotors I think? Anyway I tried some used calipers from a Legacy GT and they did not fit. The calipers were ok, but the bracket is not wide enough. Anyone need some used Legacy GT calipers:)

TomsSVX
01-10-2007, 09:44 PM
so the mounting holes were not wide enough?? did the offset of the rotor and everything match?? If so, I may be up for them

Tom

svxstarship
01-10-2007, 10:24 PM
The mounting holes were good. It was the part of the bracket that goes over the disk, if you know what I mean. I remember I could not just swap the brackets, I just can't rember why at the moment.

svxstarship
01-10-2007, 10:25 PM
Oh sorry. The rotor was right on. Only diference was the thickness. Just looks nicer to.

NeedForSpeed
01-11-2007, 12:32 AM
Tom,

What happened to the Brembo project?

so the mounting holes were not wide enough?? did the offset of the rotor and everything match?? If so, I may be up for them

Tom

TomsSVX
01-11-2007, 06:52 AM
I had about 35 other projectrs pile on top... I have been a very busy boy for the past month

TOm

SURTEESS
01-13-2007, 08:27 PM
enough said, me thinks that your SVX has been tampered with as NZ new (eg from Japan but with NZ spec) were only ever brought in with a solid rear discs?

I bought some new brake pads from the UK (sorry cannot remember what the name was) - non squeaky, very good braking - they fitted exactly, hence NZ & UK must be similar size etc.

regards

Steve in NZ
(North Shore, Auckland)

dynomatt
01-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Solid or vented take the same pad. The caliper is different though.

floatingkiwi
01-15-2007, 02:27 PM
Hi all!

Arrggh, sorry for the lack of reply, I have just got back from my annual family camping trip (and it rained the whole time..). Never mind, lots of alcohol and food which is the whole point right?

OK, JDW-SVX: Yes, the car is a Jap-spec car, not imported for the NZ market.

Trevor: The mileage may well be a bit more than what it says, but it drives pretty well, especially compared to my mothers car which had about 150000 km a while ago and definitely was a driving class below mine. The discs are actually in fine order (the rears are a little scored from bad pads), I'm just a bit of an "improver" when it comes to my cars and like a few other people am definitely not happy with the braking performance. I think whomever had the car before me may also not have been looking after it very well. I also like to restore the mechanicals to a newer condition when I can do it. Hence the odd little thing here and there that I undertake. All 4 of your discs should be ventilated though being a Jap import?

Dynomatt: Which year WRX would that be for the same size discs?

By the way folks, have a look at my number plate!!

Matt

floatingkiwi
01-15-2007, 02:30 PM
I think I'll put the front discs on and source something else for the rears - probably DBA..
So, rear dimpled, slotted, solid rotors for sale!!

Matt

dynomatt
01-15-2007, 02:33 PM
To be grammatically correct...should it be "AN SVX" ? Or is that being a bit anally retentive?

The WRX rotors you want *should* be the ones to suit the 4 piston fronts with the single piston rears. So the plane jane WRX's, not the STi's (which had the twin piston rears). They should be a DBA 653 (if you get DBA's over there).

M

Trevor
01-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Hi all!

Arrggh, sorry for the lack of reply, I have just got back from my annual family camping trip (and it rained the whole time..). Never mind, lots of alcohol and food which is the whole point right?

OK, JDW-SVX: Yes, the car is a Jap-spec car, not imported for the NZ market.

Trevor: The mileage may well be a bit more than what it says, but it drives pretty well, especially compared to my mothers car which had about 150000 km a while ago and definitely was a driving class below mine. The discs are actually in fine order (the rears are a little scored from bad pads), I'm just a bit of an "improver" when it comes to my cars and like a few other people am definitely not happy with the braking performance. I think whomever had the car before me may also not have been looking after it very well. I also like to restore the mechanicals to a newer condition when I can do it. Hence the odd little thing here and there that I undertake. All 4 of your discs should be ventilated though being a Jap import?

Matt

All I can say is that I am very fussy and have not needed to do any real work on mine.

I do not understand this, "All 4 of your discs should be ventilated though being a Jap import?" suggestion. Mine most certainly are not, and there has previously been no suggestions here along these lines.

Why do you consider your brakes as inferior? Even scoring on a circumference is of no consequence. Only radial out of true, even only slight, is a problem. I am sure of this, as a result of racing experience.

I hope we may meet up some time. :)

Darren
01-15-2007, 06:01 PM
Hiya,

Matt is right on the point of vented disc's, all JDM's should have vented rears.

STI version 5 & 6 discs should fit the standard SVX calipers & I believe the 4pot STI calipers from the same will fit. (with a wheel spacer)
I have seen pics of an SVX in Japan with gold STI 7 Brembo calipers fitted front & rear, I gather they need a spacer between them and the bracket and 17" wheels with a wheel spacer.

Trevor
01-15-2007, 07:06 PM
I now see that there has been confusion. Cross drilled or slotted discs have often been referred to as being vented. Here we are dealing with discs with radial vents. Sorry that I have added to the mix up. :confused: :(

My car does in fact have rear discs with radial vents.

floatingkiwi
01-15-2007, 07:54 PM
To be grammatically correct...should it be "AN SVX" ? Or is that being a bit anally retentive?

The WRX rotors you want *should* be the ones to suit the 4 piston fronts with the single piston rears. So the plane jane WRX's, not the STi's (which had the twin piston rears). They should be a DBA 653 (if you get DBA's over there).

M

Yes, it should be, and yes, you are!!

Thanks for the disc info - I believe there is still no aftermarket disc that can be used as a rear disc for me (radially vented) and that will fit straight on?

Matt

floatingkiwi
01-15-2007, 08:06 PM
All I can say is that I am very fussy and have not needed to do any real work on mine.

I do not understand this, "All 4 of your discs should be ventilated though being a Jap import?" suggestion. Mine most certainly are not, and there has previously been no suggestions here along these lines.

Why do you consider your brakes as inferior? Even scoring on a circumference is of no consequence. Only radial out of true, even only slight, is a problem. I am sure of this, as a result of racing experience.

I hope we may meet up some time. :)

I'm a real fussy bugg*r as well, and unfortunately the exterior of the car especially was not well looked after by the previous owner(s) - hence my little tidy-ups every now and then. To be honest though, the car certainly looks like a bit more than 100000 km!

As regarding brakes, my mothers car with more KM's has always braked better than mine. I have bleed many times with good fluid, however I haven't changed the pads yet which I suspect is probably the issue. I actually bought these rotors from the states when I was overseas and before my mother had written hers off, so in hindsight, probably not a good move.

We certainly never seem to have the rotor problems that a few of the US guys have, so that's nice. I was just after something that would perform a bit better - a pity that I wasn't aware of the rear rotor difference.

Yes, I was talking about radially vented discs - sorry for the confusion.

If I come to Auckland I'll give you a bell beforehand. Always nice to see other svx's and people who care about them!

Darren: Are you sure that the Rear discs from STI v5-6 are a direct bolt-on? I thought that wasn't the case.

Matt

Darren
01-16-2007, 07:23 AM
Hi Matt,

I questioned him over the STI 5/6 discs as I was thinking the same as you in that PCD is different, what he meant by spacers is the type that bolt on to the hub and then change the stud pattern to Impreza, the calipers still fit ok. His English is not great at times but then its a 1000 times better than my Japanese! :D

floatingkiwi
01-16-2007, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I want to stay away from using any spacers or anything like that.

Matt