PDA

View Full Version : stereo head unit install - instrument panel??

craftylandshark
01-06-2007, 04:46 PM
I know I saw this exact issue a week or so ago but searching didn't seem to yeild anything. I just installed a new stereo head unit in place of one that was stolen. Now, some of my gauges don't light up (speedo, tach, enviro buttons), but thanks to a loose connection to one of my brake lights, i know that the trouble indicator lights still work. I didn't alter any wiring except for cutting the old into-head harness off and splicing the new harness straight in. I seem to remember the solution having something to do with the ground wire, but I could be wrong. Any ideas?

svxcess
01-06-2007, 07:58 PM
I know I saw this exact issue a week or so ago but searching didn't seem to yield anything.... I seem to remember the solution having something to do with the ground wire, but I could be wrong. Any ideas?
Maybe this thread??

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=36744&highlight=ground

craftylandshark
01-07-2007, 11:39 AM
I looked at that thread to double-check, but that seems to be a totally different issue. If the ground plate wasn't in contact with my bracket, I'd have no sound. The stereo works perfectly. It's probably not a burnt out bulb - if it were, the needles at least would still be lighting up. I've checked the fuses and none of the possible suspects appear blown. If there IS a fuse at fault, I'm pretty sure it's got to be the #9 10 amp fuse in the cabin fusebox. Feel free to correct me, anybody. I'm going later to pick up a replacement just in case, but I'm really stumped on this one.

craftylandshark
01-07-2007, 11:01 PM
fixed... the fuse was the bugger. very strange though, the wire looked completely intact from both sides of the fuse... definitely did NOT appear blown. bizzare.

SVXdc
01-10-2007, 06:43 PM
... I didn't alter any wiring except for cutting the old into-head harness off and splicing the new harness straight in. ...What a horrible thing to do!

People usually have problems with there being two Red / Black wires.

For anyone else who runs across this thread...

For Sale: Radio Wiring Harnesses for SVX!! (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?&threadid=6530)

craftylandshark
01-11-2007, 04:01 PM
The previous owner had already done a cut-and-splice, so at that point, i figured i might as well do the same thing. It worked out fine, no issues with two red and black wires. Meh, who knows.