PDA

View Full Version : EG33 swapped Brighton Impreza

wombat
01-01-2007, 08:55 AM
Hi everyone! I have been doing alot of reading on this site to gain some more information on the EG33. GREAT INFO!!!! Some of you may have seen the threads on other forums about this car. It a steel widebody Impreza cp I am building for auto-x/light street. As you can imagine, the Impreza community is all about the new EZ30R swaps done by Perrin etc....so not alot of info on the EG. Actually, everyone is asking me why the EG. My main question is, what is available for this engine in N/A config? I have been reading the cam lobe thread so I know there are cams somewhere. Is there one ECU that is better with this engine than others? Who carries them? And to the 5 spd swap guys, how much are you getting your 5 spds to handle torque wise? I have the whole 92 pearl white donor car still (BTW, the car was condemed after an uneducated owner hammered the car....not a good opperating car) I still have alot of good parts left....just ask.) What is the rear end in the SVX? R160? R180? LSD? what ratio?

These pics are @ 45 days ago so much progress has been made since. The build is being documented on www.ultimatecarforum.com a sponsor of our team!

I know I have alot of questions and any help is very much appreciated. Thank you in adance!

Craig

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/cueauto/DSCF0018.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/cueauto/DSCF0006.jpg

Chiketkd
01-01-2007, 09:16 AM
I'll get started answering some of your questions...

Rear diff on the SVX is an R160 LSD with 3.55 ratios. This is the same rear end found in the 5spd '02-'05 WRX's (they have a 3.90 front diff and a 1.1:1 step-down to their 3.55 rear diffs)

In terms of engine management - check out www.ecutune.com which is run by a member here who goes by Longassname. You'll probably want to contact him (he lives in Tampa, FL IIRC) to have him develop a custom tune for your car.

Good luck! :)

wombat
01-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Thanks for the start! I'll be snagging the LSD then. I have the 3.90 gears now that match my trans so I guess I'll just change the r&p for now. I may also see if I can use the brakes from the SVX as well (I have factory drum rears now.) Has anyone broken WRX trannys yet?

I have seen a couple of SVX swaps started but no one seems to finish them. I have read somewhere on here that I have to jump a wire so that the rev limiter goes all the way to redline and not stop half way. Is that true if I am not running the t-ecu? I have done a ton of WRX-STi swaps, but this is uncharted for me and finding good info has proven to be the hardest thing.

Thank you again!

It's Just Eric
01-01-2007, 12:04 PM
Read your thread....you have done a hell of alot of metalwork and custom fabrication so far. seems you just need to get the drivetrain squared away. lemme tell ya, this is a good place to start. Good luck with the project!

wombat
01-01-2007, 12:53 PM
Thanks, I have been researching gear ratios and rear end ratios all day...I think I've got it. I have another engine now so I'll just drop that in as stock for now and do a full build on the one pictured. With slicks, I have a feeling I'll end up with a dog 1-2-3 eventually or an STi 6spd.

TomsSVX
01-01-2007, 03:14 PM
good luck and it seems like you have most of what you need to know... IF it is driveline... I can answer the questions u have

Tom

wombat
01-01-2007, 07:37 PM
My biggest question is:

what is available for this engine in N/A config? I have been reading the cam lobe thread so I know there are cams somewhere. Is there one ECU that is better with this engine than others? Who carries them? I will try to contact LAN soon to get his insight, but what about a Megasquirt? I read on here someone is using it. Is that a better way to go than the OE ECU?

Thank you soo much for all of your help!

Phast SVX
01-01-2007, 07:51 PM
My biggest question is:

what is available for this engine in N/A config? I have been reading the cam lobe thread so I know there are cams somewhere. Is there one ECU that is better with this engine than others? Who carries them? I will try to contact LAN soon to get his insight, but what about a Megasquirt? I read on here someone is using it. Is that a better way to go than the OE ECU?

Thank you soo much for all of your help!

start 2cents....

Really just depends what you want. The stock ECU is a 16x16 load based MAF system, karmen hotwire. It is very accurate(injection occurs only before ignition, very precise) and as long as you go with stage 2, you will have enough fuel with the bigger 370cc injectors to do whatever you want NA(370cc injector and Z32 maf rom's are in development and will be released soon).

The cam configurations have been used in a few cars now, and they seem to be a good grind. I would assume you plan on doing bigger valves and springs since u are going NA, but I am afraid you are slightly more on your own. Simple measurements should yield something easily attainable on the market place I will assume, With good reason. Valve float will be your biggest hurdle as the stock springs are going to be soft for high revs. Retard out the cams a tooth and you have 7 degrees of retard, and a higher power band for a nice compliment to take advantage of the new breathe.

The Megasquirt is an 8x8 map based VE system. Its a PITA but not horrible, I cant see why you would go this route thogh, you arent needing to remove timing, and if anything the stock spark control will be far more beneficial then a megasquirt rig and J&S style setup. Each bank is controlled independanty. Longassnames stage 2 map increases not only the primary ignition advance tables but the secondary lookup tables as well, and the system will advance to knock nicely with the Stock JECS rig. So go stage 2 ECutune, and with the new 370cc injector+z32maf you will be free to give it as much power as you can afford to in NA trim.

wombat
01-02-2007, 05:23 AM
great info Phat! OK, looks like I'll go with LAN's stage II set up. In regards to the cams, are you sayiong to retard the cams 1 tooth even with the stock cams? or only if I go with a custom grind. I thought I read a thread on here where there were a couple of guys running custom grinds. Did they have to go through everything in the heads as well?

Basically, I already have a bunch of money in this car just to where its at and at this point, I need to get it running and in front of my sponsors. The plan is to get it running, sort out the chassis and build a new motor in the mean time. But, If I can do cams now as well as an ECU tune, I'll be needing them later anyways so I dont have a problem buying them but I am not wanting to prolong the completion of the car much longer as I have a April deadline to have the car done and running. Not a problem, but I want to see how far I can go with a full N/A build on the second engine.

Thank you all very much for all of this information!!!

huck369
01-02-2007, 05:31 AM
great info Phat! OK, looks like I'll go with LAN's stage II set up. In regards to the cams, are you sayiong to retard the cams 1 tooth even with the stock cams? or only if I go with a custom grind. I thought I read a thread on here where there were a couple of guys running custom grinds. Did they have to go through everything in the heads as well?

Basically, I already have a bunch of money in this car just to where its at and at this point, I need to get it running and in front of my sponsors. The plan is to get it running, sort out the chassis and build a new motor in the mean time. But, If I can do cams now as well as an ECU tune, I'll be needing them later anyways so I dont have a problem buying them but I am not wanting to prolong the completion of the car much longer as I have a April deadline to have the car done and running. Not a problem, but I want to see how far I can go with a full N/A build on the second engine.

Thank you all very much for all of this information!!!

I thought I'd throw out my 2 cents...
I've installed a EG33 into my 1989 XT6, makes for a REALLY fun, and quick car.... BUT it pushes in the corners REALLY bad due to all the extra weight hanging out in front of the front axles....so if you're gonna be auto-Xing this car, start planning some serious upgrades to the suspensiion....if you're going to be dragging the car....ignore all my previous statement, as it won't matter in the slightest ;)

mikecg
01-02-2007, 01:36 PM
Like someone said earlier, LAN (Mike Emery) at ECUTune Would be the guy for you to talk to. He's done alot of work with the stock ECUs. There isnt alot currently available. There are a few of us here that are working to change that. LAN is also currently looking into cam development, but I believe the cams he's looking at are designed to work with a supercharged engine. I'm running one of the ECUTune Stage III systems, which is a Wipple supercharger kit. I'm also running an STi 6-speed with an R180 rear, that TomsSVX installed for me.

LAN spends part of his time in Tampa and part in Miami. You might be able to work with him on alot of what you need.

wombat
01-03-2007, 05:17 AM
I thought I'd throw out my 2 cents...
I've installed a EG33 into my 1989 XT6, makes for a REALLY fun, and quick car.... BUT it pushes in the corners REALLY bad due to all the extra weight hanging out in front of the front axles....so if you're gonna be auto-Xing this car, start planning some serious upgrades to the suspensiion....if you're going to be dragging the car....ignore all my previous statement, as it won't matter in the slightest ;)

I too noticed the weight difference. The car is for auto-x ing. I have removed a ton of pieces from the front of the car already and actually went too far. My ABS, A/C, Steel hood, relocated battery and front bumper beam are all gone. Now, I'm too light! hehehe always something. I am also running Cusco Zero 2-R coilovers.

How did you deal with the wiring? Did you splice everything or just what was needed to make the engine run?

wombat
01-03-2007, 05:18 AM
Like someone said earlier, LAN (Mike Emery) at ECUTune Would be the guy for you to talk to. He's done alot of work with the stock ECUs. There isnt alot currently available. There are a few of us here that are working to change that. LAN is also currently looking into cam development, but I believe the cams he's looking at are designed to work with a supercharged engine. I'm running one of the ECUTune Stage III systems, which is a Wipple supercharger kit. I'm also running an STi 6-speed with an R180 rear, that TomsSVX installed for me.

LAN spends part of his time in Tampa and part in Miami. You might be able to work with him on alot of what you need.

LAN's name seems to pop up quite a bit on here, I really need to find some time to contact him.

Thank you to all of the great responses!!!

huck369
01-03-2007, 05:26 AM
I too noticed the weight difference. The car is for auto-x ing. I have removed a ton of pieces from the front of the car already and actually went too far. My ABS, A/C, Steel hood, relocated battery and front bumper beam are all gone. Now, I'm too light! hehehe always something. I am also running Cusco Zero 2-R coilovers.

How did you deal with the wiring? Did you splice everything or just what was needed to make the engine run?

I just wired up the SVX ECU to the motor seperate from the Impreza wiring, just a few wires have to tie back into the Impreza system....
The Fuel pump trigger wire
And 3 power supplys for the ECU, 1 constant, and 2 switched.
thatis all that is needed to make it run.

Plus the gauge wires. (not required to run, but I'm sure you'll want them to work)
Tach
Water Temp
Oil Pressure (I had to add a Oil Pressure Gauge Sender since the XT6 has a Oil Pressure Gauge where as the SVX, nor Impreza do.)

I had to keep the XT6 ECU, due to the XT6 having the electric power steering system, which is controlled by the ECU...so I still have both ECU's in FrankenWedge...

wombat
01-03-2007, 03:06 PM
I just wired up the SVX ECU to the motor seperate from the Impreza wiring, just a few wires have to tie back into the Impreza system....
The Fuel pump trigger wire
And 3 power supplys for the ECU, 1 constant, and 2 switched.
thatis all that is needed to make it run.

Plus the gauge wires. (not required to run, but I'm sure you'll want them to work)
Tach
Water Temp
Oil Pressure (I had to add a Oil Pressure Gauge Sender since the XT6 has a Oil Pressure Gauge where as the SVX, nor Impreza do.)

I had to keep the XT6 ECU, due to the XT6 having the electric power steering system, which is controlled by the ECU...so I still have both ECU's in FrankenWedge...

Frankenwedge...I like that!

As for the wiring, after I seperated the SVX engine from the SVX body, I only noticed a few...maybe5-6 wires that were nessessary. I am running independant guages and the speed-o is cable driven. I think if I were to power up the car without the ECU pluged in, everything else works. I'll have to try that. Great info! I just think the engine looks cool sitting in there...hehehe

TomsSVX
01-03-2007, 09:30 PM
you can put a wrx or a 4eat speed sensor in the 5mt and make it electric so the EG33 harness accepts it

Tom

wombat
01-04-2007, 12:58 AM
DO you mean so that I can run a electronic speedo? That would be nice.

TomsSVX
01-04-2007, 07:36 AM
yeah, how do you think all the 5mt guys on this board are doing it??

TOm

huck369
01-04-2007, 08:13 AM
No need for the Electronic Speedo to make it run, it is only really needed to make the SVX speedo work, in the Impreza, you can just run the speedo cable like stock.

No electronic speedo on FrankenWedge...just the original XT6 cable...

TomsSVX
01-04-2007, 02:03 PM
But if he is going to electric solo gauges, he would want an electric

Tom

wombat
01-06-2007, 06:13 AM
But if he is going to electric solo gauges, he would want an electric

Tom That and then I can run a newer electric dash (speed-o) . I can even swap over to a complete 02-06 dash. I never even gave the sender deal a single though. I guess its kind of obvious though heheh.

What about light weight flywheels. Do the 3.3s like them or no? I also read that the engine likes to stall when combined with a mt. Does LANs software fix that?

Thanks again guys for answering my questions!

AFBeefcake
01-06-2007, 06:36 AM
LANs currently working on new software to fix the stall. It should be done soon.

huck369
01-06-2007, 07:53 AM
I never had any stall problems with my converted SVX, nor in FrankenWedge with a manual tranny...but I run a stock Legacy flywheel, I would think a lighter flywheel would amplify any stall problem, as there would be less rotating mass to keep it spinning....

mikecg
01-06-2007, 08:23 AM
Recommend you keep tabs on this thread.

ECUTune Developments (http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?p=445289#post445289)

wombat
01-17-2007, 12:20 PM
It looks as thoug I will be getting one of LANs tunes. I just need to fire this thing first. wheels, tires and coilovers arent agreeing with each other right now so, a little engineering is in order to make them all fit......that and a ton of cash....arghhhh!!

Thank you for the tips!

Michael Blue
02-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Freakin' BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!

You wanna paint my engine? ;)

wombat
04-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Just an update for you guys if your interested.

I finally got the bodywork done. Got a set of SVX hubs, brakes, etc... to convert to 5x114. Just got a set of new rims for a Cobra Mustang (17x9 front and 17x10.5 rears) and our sponsor has come through with a bunch of parts to help this project along.

The big thing in the air right now is still the EM. I have read about the MegasquirtII and am a little aprehensive due to the ignition. I guess you have to get a modified crank wheel? The only other option is to run the stock ECU(LAN tune installed) with only the esential wires to make it run. The car has gotten waaay out of hand and will not see street duty, just open track and an occasional auto-x (Gainville Subaru Challenge is a sponsor obligation this year). Really, the only thing holding this project up at this point is the ecu situation.......then its a matter of finishing everything up and paint.

One last thing is the radiator.....what a PITA! Looks like I will run either two small rads or one custom...either way its not that big of a deal but space is at a premium!

Micheal Blue......hehehehe thanks on the engine color but its not staying that way. My son wanted that look but we are currently building a custom intake manifold. If we run the Megasqurit, with a MAP sensor, I will also run individual TB's with an air box sealed to the stock hood scoop.

benebob
04-10-2007, 07:50 AM
I never had any stall problems with my converted SVX, nor in FrankenWedge with a manual tranny...but I run a stock Legacy flywheel, I would think a lighter flywheel would amplify any stall problem, as there would be less rotating mass to keep it spinning....

Great Huck so now you tell us that running a glorified flex plate for a flywheel will induce stalls. At least I can blame it on the flywheel and not the crappy clutch chatter (which is what I do on the 03 Legacrappy).

Ricochet
04-10-2007, 08:13 AM
Any new pics?

huck369
04-10-2007, 08:14 AM
Great Huck so now you tell us that running a glorified flex plate for a flywheel will induce stalls. At least I can blame it on the flywheel and not the crappy clutch chatter (which is what I do on the 03 Legacrappy).

Better late than never..... (besides, nobody asked me;) )

And Wombat, running 2 different width rims is going to cause you tranny problem down the road....

mikecg
04-10-2007, 08:26 AM
If the radiator gets to be too big a pain, put it in the trunk and make some scoops in the rear windows, with openings in the rear of the trunk for the air to pass out.

wombat
04-10-2007, 10:44 AM
Why would the widths cause a problem? I can see if the diameter was different but as long as you stay within a 1% f/b overall height ratio....your fine. Now, I know that I will have issues with wheel bearings, but, that isn't a concern for me.

Rads in the trunk....Drift style! For a min, I thought of that......a breif min. I'll get it...probably a custom set-up. The SVX rad is surprisingly small IMO.

TomsSVX
04-10-2007, 11:45 AM
Ben, the stall issue is not restricted to those running stock flywheels versus an aftermarket one... It is dependant on vaccum leaks or not... if your engine has a small vaccum leak, you probobly won't stall. If everything is sealed up tight, you will stall all the time... Engine lacks air when the stall happens so a leak will introducwe some of the air needed to keep it running

Tom

wombat
04-10-2007, 11:58 AM
^^^^^ good to know!

wombat
04-10-2007, 12:05 PM
some new pics for you all...........

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/cueauto/Jan07progress2.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/cueauto/feb5076.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/cueauto/Jan07progress12.jpg
http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g158/cueauto/Jan07progress3.jpg

TomsSVX
04-10-2007, 12:25 PM
hahaha i just got a brighton wagon too.... I feel your pain. Looks like it is comming along well:D Good luck and make sure you keep us updated

Tom

huck369
04-10-2007, 12:36 PM
Why would the widths cause a problem? I can see if the diameter was different but as long as you stay within a 1% f/b overall height ratio....your fine. Now, I know that I will have issues with wheel bearings, but, that isn't a concern for me.

Rads in the trunk....Drift style! For a min, I thought of that......a breif min. I'll get it...probably a custom set-up. The SVX rad is surprisingly small IMO.

Getting 2 differnet width tires that are the same circumfrance will be tough, as they have to be with-in 1/4" of each other....can it be done...sure....but will make every tire change a PITA.

I like the fender flares.....:cool:

benebob
04-10-2007, 01:19 PM
Ben, the stall issue is not restricted to those running stock flywheels versus an aftermarket one... It is dependant on vaccum leaks or not... if your engine has a small vaccum leak, you probobly won't stall. If everything is sealed up tight, you will stall all the time... Engine lacks air when the stall happens so a leak will introducwe some of the air needed to keep it running

Tom

I was kidding with him. Our flywheel is of the lightened aftermarket type which was lightened an additional 2.3lbs. Its almost flexplate weight now.:D I'm sure we have plenty of air leaks. My XT had the stall problem for a spell when I first did the coversion but it when away totally on its own.:confused:

wombat
04-10-2007, 03:46 PM
Getting 2 differnet width tires that are the same circumfrance will be tough, as they have to be with-in 1/4" of each other....can it be done...sure....but will make every tire change a PITA.

I like the fender flares.....:cool:

I'm with you on the tire changes being a real pita. I have found a set of V710 Kuhmos that will do the trick for auto-x use (I MAY try running the 10.5's in the front EVO style) and most likely get another set of wheels that are 17x9 on all four paws for open track to help avoid the tire cost issue but as it stands the cost difference for 9 vs 10.5 in the size I need is @ $30/tire....not that bad.

I just want to drive the damn thing at this point! I already have a spare trans as I believe this will go first and a spare engine juuuust in case. I do have a time limit though, it needs to de done, painted and running by the end of July (just got the date today...thought it was the end of this month!)

Thank you to everyone for all of your support and well wishes!

Craig

nico i wrx u
05-14-2007, 06:17 PM
^^ do you have any more pics of this swap motor pics thank you.

d4d330
05-14-2007, 09:19 PM
Love the paint. That would look great on a buggy motor too.

wombat
05-15-2007, 05:35 AM
the engine will not remain that color for very long. My son wanted to see it like that. I swapped in a few more SVX compnenets and am now able to run Cobra Mustang wheels! (components I got from this forum!). I actually have so much going on now that it is hard to find time for all of these cars.

My racing team now has a blog if your interested

http://www.ultimatecarforum.com/blog/

THe ultimate car forum is a sponsor of ours and built the page. Thank you everyone for your continued interest and support.

If you do read some of the blog entries, you will see the new car we are building as well as the "W6-R". I am looking for an engine, ECU and dash wiring harness to do another 3.3 swap in the WRX.

Thanks again!

Craig

wombat
05-15-2007, 05:38 AM
nico,

Am I reading your sig right? you have a 22b?

I will be in Montreal in June and am looking to buy a 22b or a 555....let me know if you know of any please. I would like to buy 2 of the 22b's to race down here.

Thanks in advance!

Craig

nico i wrx u
05-18-2007, 05:52 PM
hello craig nice to meet you.

no i dont have a 22b its how i describe my motor, its ej22t block with the same heads used on the 22b. its a gc8 sedan with eveything you can think of from sti.

http://www.toronto-subaru-club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99165

http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=30438&highlight=

i really like this swap that your doing, it has crossed my mind for some time now, i own a nice svx that i am sick of trying to swap other subaru parts on it to make it better but its a wiast of time.

i am picking up a sweet 2.5rs gc8 2door and i want to swap the eg33 in it, since your head of me right now in doing it i wanted to ask you a couple of questions.

i will wire the hole car up like a svx, stock svx wiring harness hole car front to back svx so i have no problems there, about the motor does all the svx stuff fit under the hood of the gc8? rad, power steering, ac, i am trying to keep it simple and stock.

whats going on in montreal when you go up?

thanks for any info nico.

wombat
07-13-2007, 06:52 AM
I'm sorry everyone for the lack of communicaton....been so busy with my own business, racing, testing and trying to finish this car. The car has to be done by Aug to make a meet at Mastro Subaru and to run the Gainsville Subaru Challenge.....lots on my plate right now.

Nico i WRX....I was in Montreal for the F1 race as our F430 Ferrari Challenge cars were the opening race for F1. Our next stop was in Mont-Tremblant for a two race weekend. Beautiful area...I'm going to try to bring the family there for Vaca!!!!

Here is the update on the car..........

The engine is in, wired, radiator is finally in and clears. My airbox is in and the hood closes with no issues whatsoever!

The body is done..roughly as I am no body man. I need to send it out to get smoothed properly though. Hubs are converted (SVX hubs in Impreza knuckles....tough one there) And I now have a brake combo....Impreza knuckles, 95 240SX rotors (f), SVX calipers and Cobra SVT wheels. The interior is completely stripped, fuel filler relocated to the inside of the trunk, lw Flywheel, clutch etc....all in and functioning. I also welded up a stainless dual 2 1/2" exhaust system that exits out the pass side.

All thats left now is to connect the wires from the SVX to the Impreza and I should fire next week (heading to California this weekend for two days...testing)

One qustion I have regarding the wiring though.....

I have the wiring diagram from the SVX along with the control module I/O chart. according to the I/O chart, plug B59-pin 15 is for the back-up power supply (constant 12v). I cant find that pin on any schematic to verify this.....its just plain not listed. I have gone through the entire schematics several times and can't find it. Can anyone verify that on a 92 SVX ecm plug B59 that pin 15 is constant 12v, pins 2 and 13 are switched 12v and the fuel pump trigger wire?

I just don't want to get anxious and smoke the ecm before I start you know?
You have all been very helpfull during this build. Thank you in advance for any insight.

BTW, there are new pics at the bottom of pg 13 if your interested

http://ultimatecarforum.com/smf/index.php?topic=1151.300

Thank you all soo much again......

huck369
07-13-2007, 08:08 AM
One qustion I have regarding the wiring though.....

I have the wiring diagram from the SVX along with the control module I/O chart. according to the I/O chart, plug B59-pin 15 is for the back-up power supply (constant 12v). I cant find that pin on any schematic to verify this.....its just plain not listed. I have gone through the entire schematics several times and can't find it. Can anyone verify that on a 92 SVX ecm plug B59 that pin 15 is constant 12v, pins 2 and 13 are switched 12v and the fuel pump trigger wire?

I don't have the Schem. in front of me, but that soounds right, I remember hooking up one constant 12v, and 2 switched 12v, on FrankenWedge when I did the swap...

wombat
07-13-2007, 01:21 PM
The biggest problem I have is that no one, not even the dealer has a i/o chart with the ECM connector that my 96 Impreza has.....frusterating. 2.2l is the same connector though.

cdigerlando
07-13-2007, 01:38 PM
Check the hayes manual for the impressa. It also covers the SVX. There are schematics in it. Is this an Aussy impreza? I'm sure it would be similar.

michael
07-13-2007, 05:25 PM
This should help

wombat
07-15-2007, 02:53 AM
Thank you for the chart! That should help. its more clear than the one I have.

wombat
07-15-2007, 10:01 AM
Well....I finally got the hubs done! So now the car is sitting on the tires...not the ones staying on the car, but some tires to move it on. I'm going to just throw some crap tires on it for now to discourage breakage at first.

How are the 5spd swapped cars trannys holding up? I'm a little worried about the on off throttle shock on the gears. Can you guys really beat on the trannys or do you have to be nice to them.....As I have mentioned before, I will be racing this car on tarmac with some big tires (275 rears and 245 fronts)...I have a spare trans just in case, but hopefully I just need to worry about half shafts.

BTW, are there many SVX owners in the Tampa vacinity? The reason I ask, is Mastro Subaru is going to have a meet in mid Aug, I believe. I love for some SVXs to show so that I can thank some of this forums members in person.

The information on this forum has been incredible!

Michael Blue
07-15-2007, 10:05 AM
I think one of the first SC'd SVXs is in your general area.
That'd be a cool show attendee. :)

huck369
07-15-2007, 02:14 PM
No tranny will hold up to constant abuse, manual or auto...some better than others,....
but if you plan on racing it on a regular basis, I'd stock up on spare tranys, and diffs, and clutch components...just to be on the safe side.;)

wombat
07-18-2007, 02:46 PM
I believe LAN is in the Tampa area IIRC.

Huck.....I just got a WRX trans as a back up and a new gearset for it. I'm not so worried about the launch...I'll slip the clutch a little to get it off the line... I'm more worried about the on throttle off throttle shock to the gears in second as thats the gear the car will spend most of its time.

The other thing, is that the Impreza I have has a cable clutch and the WRXs are hyd (as you know) so I'd have to convert the whole system over.....I guess we'll find out....

huck369
07-18-2007, 06:55 PM
I believe LAN is in the Tampa area IIRC.

Huck.....I just got a WRX trans as a back up and a new gearset for it. I'm not so worried about the launch...I'll slip the clutch a little to get it off the line... I'm more worried about the on throttle off throttle shock to the gears in second as thats the gear the car will spend most of its time.

The other thing, is that the Impreza I have has a cable clutch and the WRXs are hyd (as you know) so I'd have to convert the whole system over.....I guess we'll find out....

Hard launches are what will kill them the fastest...the throttle shock won't be nearly as bad, I'd say it'll hold up fairly well, depending on the HP you're making....

and yep, the WRX stype hydralic will require installing the hydro system...but some hyd. trannys can be converted to cable (such as the RS, and Forester, Legacy's....)

XT6Wagon
07-18-2007, 07:44 PM
The exedy twinplates are fairly soft on the trasmission for thier holding capactiy (450ft-lbs). I think the Carbon versions are even softer and have a hair more holding power.

Lots o money, but they are very rebuildable if you should manage to ever kill one.

Transmissions vary in strength, but basicly the later the year, and the higher end the car the more money Subaru put into stronger guts. The Forester XT's 5spd is insanely tough, but hurt by the 4.44 final drive for most applications. Still looking into if the 9-2X got the same Forester case/gearset but with a sane final drive.

wombat
07-19-2007, 07:30 AM
Yup...thats my understanding as well. the late 02 and up WRX 5 spds got the RA width gears as opposed to the earlier 5 spds.

I was wanting to run a FXT 4.44 set up but, I was affraid that I would run out of gear on longer straights like Sebrings back straight. So, 3.90s for me.

I feel alot better though that you guys are reporting the on-off throttle shosk shouldnt be as bad as I was thinking. I'll be sure to keep a spare handy either way. Ideally, I'd like to run the 6mt though......

I have so much to do with my business that its keeping me away from the car right now. Its so close to firing its killing me! Time is all thats needed right now...Arghhhhh!!!!

wombat
08-01-2007, 05:22 AM
Well, I'm at the attempting to start stage. Huck, has been soooooooo helpful with the wiring. The problem I am having right now, is that the main relay isn't working at all. I have power to the relay, tried different relays......dunno, at a loss. Huck helped me with the fuel pump relay and now that is working, but the fuel injectors have constant power but no pulse signal and the coils are the same deal......Like all swaps, this is the frusterating point. Just wanted to update everyone interested.

THANKS HUCK!!!!!!

Craig

wombat
08-03-2007, 03:42 PM
It now starts and idles, but only for @ 20 sec then shuts off. I can restart it, and it will run again for @ 20 sec then die........any thoughts? I'm just soooo damn happy to hear this thing run!! the car has taken me a year so far and its nice to see the end.

I would like to thank HUCK BIIIIG time. He has exchanged PM's with me for a while to help me troubleshoot the issues I was having. One more hurdle is to get it to run longer than 20 sec..........

Thanks Huck again!!!

Craig

SVXRide
08-03-2007, 03:48 PM
It now starts and idles, but only for @ 20 sec then shuts off. I can restart it, and it will run again for @ 20 sec then die........any thoughts? I'm just soooo damn happy to hear this thing run!! the car has taken me a year so far and its nice to see the end.

I would like to thank HUCK BIIIIG time. He has exchanged PM's with me for a while to help me troubleshoot the issues I was having. One more hurdle is to get it to run longer than 20 sec..........

Thanks Huck again!!!

Craig

Craig,
Do you have a wide band installed? A fuel pressure gage? (sorry, I haven't read back through all of the posts in this thread). I'm guessing the ECU is seeing something that tells it to cut things off (overly lean mixture?). Can you borrow a Select Monitor?
-Bill

huck369
08-04-2007, 10:19 AM
Do you still have the Fuel pump grounded?

wombat
08-04-2007, 09:16 PM
No, I have it wired to the ECU. I can keep it running if I keep the revs up but as soon as I let it try to idle, it dies.

Does anyone have a vacumme line routing diagram? I think I have a IAC line not running to the intake. I's @ 3/4" diameter that comes from under the tb. So much was missing when I got this engine that I am having to guess some things.....I think its a vacumme thing. Have to research it though but I'm sure thats not helping.

Interior is reassembled and harness all pretty. Cooling, body and an idlae is all thats left.

alltrac
08-04-2007, 10:35 PM
try this
http://www.subaruparts.com/subaru.diag/2/i036-A.
http://www.subaruparts.com/subaru.diag/2/i061-A2.gif
http://www.subaruparts.com/subaru.diag/2/i061-A1.gif
http://www.subaruparts.com/subaru.diag/2/i082-A.gif
http://www.subaruparts.com/subaru.diag/2/i063-A1.gif

huck369
08-05-2007, 11:38 AM
No, I have it wired to the ECU. I can keep it running if I keep the revs up but as soon as I let it try to idle, it dies.

Does anyone have a vacumme line routing diagram? I think I have a IAC line not running to the intake. I's @ 3/4" diameter that comes from under the tb. So much was missing when I got this engine that I am having to guess some things.....I think its a vacumme thing. Have to research it though but I'm sure thats not helping.

Interior is reassembled and harness all pretty. Cooling, body and an idlae is all thats left.

Try grounding the fuel pump again....

wombat
08-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Huck, disconnect it from the ECU and ground it? It will run as long as I want as long as the revs stay up. I assume the fuel pump is diong its job? Or is there another reason to ground the relay? or are you saying to ground the fuel pump pin where it plugs in on top of the fuel tank?

The above diagrams help alot...THANKS! found some others I think need my attention.

The one in particular I'm looking for, is the large one that goes from (standing in front of the car) under the tb out to the drivers side, loops behind the intake (there is actually a holder on the black plastic intake for it to snap into) and I assume runs into the intake after the MAF and before the TB. Its a big one. When the car is idling, you can put your finger over the end, and it is sucking pretty hard. Is that the IAC? The idle issue is all I'm needing at this point. Its as though the car senses a lean condition and is shutting down. But, when you rev it, its obviously not relying on that. Maybe it needs to pull that extra ari through the MAF to get the correct fuel? I'm only assuming.

huck369
08-05-2007, 12:54 PM
No, not the relay...

Ground the actual ground wire going to the fuel pump...

Cut the ground wire and ground the end that goes to the fuel pump, if that doesn't work, you can plice it back together.....but it is what I had to do on FrankenWedge...
The SVX ECU modulates the voltage to the fuel pump, through the ground wire....which is why it's not getting good pressure after the initial start up.

longassname
08-05-2007, 01:03 PM
That hose connection on the bottom of the throttle body is the hose to the idle air controller. It should run in kind of a loop behind the boot/snorkle/air hose over to the passenger side where it plugs into the boot/snorkle/air hose. That's your main idle control. I don't know if you are using the "snorkle" or not but in any event it must be hooked into measured air (air hose after the mass air meter).

There is also a little bit smaller (soemthing around 1/2" or 5/8") air hose off of the top, driver's side of the throttle body which goes to the cold air bypass valve underneath the manifold and a hose that goes from the cold air bypass valve to the airhose. If you are running a manual transmision it may be best just to block off the connection on the throttle body and the conection on the air hose and not use the cold air bypass. This is necessary in order to effectively adjust your idle rpm and have it maintain a consistent setting that doesn't change when the engine warms up.

If you are using the pcv system it must be closed circuit only using measureed air. All the hoses from the engine most go to measured air (the normal connections on the boot/snorkle/air hose if you are using it). If you let fresh unmeasureed air into the engine the pcv system effectively becomes a large air leak for unmeasured air which will destroy idle and make the car run lean.

wombat
08-05-2007, 05:56 PM
Ok.....Huck and LAN....those two posts were EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!!!!

Thank you sooooo much! I will do all of that first thing tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

LAN, when I was having problems with start up, I bought another ECU b/c I thought I damaged the first one. That asn't the case and now I have a spare to send to you for you to work your magic!!!! One question I have is, can you make it a more aggresive tune for a track application or is it a stage I or II is what you get?

Thank you all sooooo much!

BTW, who owns this forum? (screen name)

longassname
08-05-2007, 06:51 PM
no need to send it to me. the memory adaptor plugs right in. Stage II is what you get.

Ok.....Huck and LAN....those two posts were EXACTLY what I was looking for!!!!!!

Thank you sooooo much! I will do all of that first thing tomorrow morning and see how it goes.

LAN, when I was having problems with start up, I bought another ECU b/c I thought I damaged the first one. That asn't the case and now I have a spare to send to you for you to work your magic!!!! One question I have is, can you make it a more aggresive tune for a track application or is it a stage I or II is what you get?

Thank you all sooooo much!

BTW, who owns this forum? (screen name)

wombat
08-05-2007, 09:34 PM
I'll have to go to your site and read up on it. I'm kind of glad I went with the stock ECU vs. an AEM or the sort.......

wombat
08-05-2007, 09:41 PM
OK read it....but what kind of gains will I see running open headers. I saw the dyno sheet, but it doesnt say base or tuned #'s.

wombat
08-07-2007, 07:04 AM
THANKS GUYS!!!!!

I did everything you all sugested and the car runs flawlessly! Idles smooth as silk, very responsive. Perfect! I was able to install my cooling and bring the car up to temperature, re install the nose......close to driving it.

huck369
08-07-2007, 08:10 AM
Sweet...glad you got her going!!!

Looking forward to hearing you're impressions after getting to take it for a spin:D

longassname
08-07-2007, 09:06 AM
congratulations, I look forward to seeing her on the road

wombat
08-07-2007, 01:11 PM
Thank you guys again. I have to finish the one rear hub and install the brakes, nut and bolt the car and try her out. I'm excited about the car again!!!!!

wombat
08-08-2007, 05:27 AM
Here is a link to the vid shot yesterday afternoon. The lw flywheel really makes a differance!

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/Whiteghost25/?action=view&current=josh309-1.flv

and here is a link to the thread on RS25 documenting most of the build

http://www.rs25.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54307

sicksubie
08-08-2007, 06:17 AM
very nice....

Michael Blue
08-08-2007, 09:02 AM
THANKS for the new links! I can't believe how awesome this project is!!

redsvx
08-08-2007, 07:06 PM
I can't believe how awesome this project is!!

Can't wait for the trial run vids!!! :D

wombat
08-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Can't wait for the trial run vids!!! :D

Can't wait to MAKE the trial run vids....heheheh I'm glad you all like the car....I guess I need some SVX network decals for the sides or is the Impreza not worthy? heheheheh

You guys are great!

sicksubie
08-08-2007, 08:53 PM
did you change the frt suspension at all to counter the extra weight now sitting on your nose?

wombat
09-04-2007, 03:30 PM
The car is running Cusco Zero-2R coil-overs and has a B9 Tribeca front sway...

I took the car to the Gainsville Subaru Challenge and broke the rear on the first pass! So, back to the shop, fix that and we will try it again this Sunday in Zephyrhills.

SVXRide
09-04-2007, 07:03 PM
The car is running Cusco Zero-2R coil-overs and has a B9 Tribeca front sway...

I took the car to the Gainsville Subaru Challenge and broke the rear on the first pass! So, back to the shop, fix that and we will try it again this Sunday in Zephyrhills.

Broke the rear? :WTF: Do you mean the rear suspension or the rear diff? I'm guessing you mean some piece within the suspension (having done this myself:rolleyes:) as I don't know of anyone who has broken a rear diff...
-Bill

TomsSVX
09-04-2007, 07:10 PM
Broke the rear? :WTF: Do you mean the rear suspension or the rear diff? I'm guessing you mean some piece within the suspension (having done this myself:rolleyes:) as I don't know of anyone who has broken a rear diff...
-Bill

I'll get right on that... list of things I haven't broke yet.... this is the only thing left:eek::eek:

Tom

It's Just Eric
09-04-2007, 11:04 PM
Reading up on their thread on the other forum board...He needs a a rear diff

btw wombat..the car looks badass!
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/Whiteghost25/Wom7.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a212/Whiteghost25/SubaruChallenge006.jpg

crazyhorse
09-05-2007, 03:05 AM
That HAS to be the most vicious Impreza I've ever seen!

wombat
09-05-2007, 09:25 AM
Yup....you can break an SVX rear diff. I also took out the rear bearings in the hubs. There is alot to learn with this car. Like I said in my RS25 thread, When I got on the gas and made the first right turn, the car hopped @ 3 timesand I heard the pop....next turn was a right and it felt fine...the first left I took is when it went down hill.

I think when it bounced, it got both rear wheels spinning then came down and hooked up. Pretty sure it was that initial shosk that did it

wombat
09-05-2007, 09:40 AM
BTW...I just got a road race style 12 pt cage for the car. The car flexes waaay too much...probably isn't helping matters.

huck369
09-05-2007, 11:15 AM
If you ever get it up this way, I'd love a ride in it.....:D

Hondasucks
09-05-2007, 12:56 PM
I think you need to send some pictures and a writeup to Subiesport!

wombat
09-05-2007, 01:17 PM
Huck...You got it! I'll definately look you up if I have the car in your area!

Hondasucks......You are not the first one to sugest that but ,I don't know if its Subysport quality or if they would even be interested......Who would you contact? They say to just send in all of your pics and a brief write up on the car. I just don't want to arbitrarily send that kind of info without talking to a real person.....

WestCoastSVX
09-11-2007, 02:12 PM
It's definitely Subiesport quality!

At the very least for their "Reader's Rides" section where they've had much more mundane cars in the past.

I'm thinking possibly even a full-blown article in the magazine myself, even if you have to wait a while until it is fully track proven with more results.

This is a very unique project combining two "classic" (Subiesport's words for the SVX and your Imprezza's the same vintage) Subarus, and your end result is a very impressive and mean looking Imprezza that will surely produce some incredible times. They'll eat this stuff up!

I'd contact Ryan Douthit, the publisher @ 425-458-4949 I've met him a couple of times and he is a big fan of the SVX (but also realizes that too much SVX coverage won't help him in the advertising/circulation department).

That's not his direct line so when someone answers I'd ask for Ryan, and if that doesn't work, ask for someone to talk to about a potential story idea.

Like I said, at the very least you can submit it to their Readers Rides, but I'd shoot higher at first. :)

wombat
09-12-2007, 05:48 AM
Thanks Mac Gyver!

I appreciate the encouragement and well wishes! Means alot coming from Suby people. I will contact them and see what happens. As you can see from the photos (I'll post more soon) I'm sponsored by Mastro Subaru in Tampa, Florida. A shoot, no matter how small would be great for them!

Thanks for the numbers! I'll let you know what happens........

94SubieSVX
05-03-2008, 03:13 PM
Any updates on this car???

black beast
05-03-2008, 04:08 PM
it is amazing how much a paintjob makes the thing look badass!

Great job Wombat!