PDA

View Full Version : No alternative turbo kits or pipes?

SVXtacy
12-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Why is the only turbo kit availible for our cars $4500? Hell, if I knew where I could just buy the piping, I'd put the rest of the kit together myself. All I really want are the pipes. Any idea where I can pick them up guys?

It's Just Eric
12-31-2006, 11:47 AM
your best bet is to design it yourself. Figure out exacty what you need and order some pipe and some mandrel bends. Might wanna get with phil (PhastSVX) and see what he is using, and what kind of troubles he may or may not be having

crotchrocketony
12-31-2006, 01:17 PM
with the way the turbo kits are set up on this car (kinda a bad set up but there isnt much room for turbos on the manifolds) it is easy to have pipes made.... I would go see your local shop that does exhausts (a shop with a pipe bender not a bolt and go shop...so like a shop that sells flow masters) it would be a easy set up to have them bend up for you and I dont see them charging you more then $500 to do it.....being the pipeing is cheep they wont use more then $60 worth of pipe. the shop here in VA does a flowmaster and cat back pipeing for $150 on almost any car.. if you want to go to MD I can hook you up with a shop

SVXtacy
12-31-2006, 02:22 PM
Interesting, but they can't just bend it without actually putting the stuff in an measuring, can they? There's a pipe bender at my school, though I'm not sure if I'm allowed to use it for my own car, lol. I just wish that damn supercharger wasn't so expensive.

drivemusicnow
12-31-2006, 03:51 PM
Talk to Phil about how much his setup would have cost if he didn't have direct access to mandrel bends and if he hadn't done all of the fabrication himself.

The S/C is cheap... relatively. You won't get out of a turbo project that is as effective for less money unless you can do almost 99% of the work yourself.

Phast SVX
12-31-2006, 05:10 PM
with the way the turbo kits are set up on this car (kinda a bad set up but there isnt much room for turbos on the manifolds) it is easy to have pipes made.... I would go see your local shop that does exhausts (a shop with a pipe bender not a bolt and go shop...so like a shop that sells flow masters) it would be a easy set up to have them bend up for you and I dont see them charging you more then $500 to do it.....being the pipeing is cheep they wont use more then $60 worth of pipe. the shop here in VA does a flowmaster and cat back pipeing for $150 on almost any car.. if you want to go to MD I can hook you up with a shop

Ill pretend that i didnt hear that first sentance.... :rolleyes:

The design of my system is as good as your going to get, if you would like to design some primaries then be my guest but i believe the design of the 3-2-1 is just fine for low boost setup. I should be firmly low 13's high 12's as soon as 2v7 is in(all software and injectors purchased) and summer roles around .

I have no problems with spike or surge, and i would place most of that in correctly placing and angling the wastegate and 2-1 section of the header. My exhaust is quite loud and has no cats but I dont daily it so its not bothersome. Sounds mean. It takes a long time, and i work long and hard on it. Do it right or do it twice(or let a professional do it). you can look through my general walkthrough here, it covers most of the main fabrication, but there is TONs you need to know beyond this, and i really suggest you have someone who has built a turbo system help. A guy at an exhaust shop may very well have done this, you just never know till you ask. Some love what they do, and others wouldnt know what they were getting into. Here is the walkthrough:
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=32280

befoer you start, you should start reading some books on Turbocharging. Some that come to mind that i enjoyed
Maximum Boost
Turbochargers
Street Turbocharging
Programming and Installing Engine Management System

They all cover mostly the same topics, but have strenghs in certain sections where others may be week, so its always been my angle to read everything i can get my hands on , on the subject just to be safe.

If you are serious and want help feel free to PM me. I usually friendly ;)

phil

SVXtacy
12-31-2006, 09:18 PM
I'll take you up on that offer dude. Just starting to slowly modify some stock pieces so I can get this to be as much as a bolt on affair as possible (I know...I said AS much)