PDA

View Full Version : Sound-insulation question

Mike621
12-24-2006, 03:52 PM
As I am preparing to swap the complete interior on my 92 LSL, I am interested in taking some extra measures to reduce road noise in the passenger compartment. Has anyone taken these measures on their SVX? What methods did you utilize to obtain the best result, etc? Input is appreciated. Thanks!

Note: I'll be replacing the door and sunroof seals to start.

Id like to insulate behind the door panels, behind the headliner, etc.

Beav
12-26-2006, 08:51 AM
My WAG is that the majority of noise emanates from the tires and passes through the lower body - another reason for the outside lower cladding. Keeping this in mind may help you concentrate on those lower areas of the doors, kick panels, etc. Unfortunately the glass also transmits a huge amount of noise. It's pretty difficult to insulate that. ;)

Sov13t
12-26-2006, 11:21 AM
Areas I would pay attention to would be the door locks from the interior, and the compartment where the window goes down. What I recommend you do is as you start working on it roll down your window completely and present some kind of vibration to the door you will notice the window will vibrate a little bit, if you increase that agitation the window will start producing noise etc...

I noticed this when I installed a better stereo ;) So, don't forget to put in a good stereo into that thing, works great as a "noise reducer" :D

AFBeefcake
12-26-2006, 03:23 PM
I dyamated my doors, rear deck, and behind the license plate in my SVX. It worked great on killing some of the noise and vibration in the doors and stopped the annoying license plate vibration.

SomethingElse
12-27-2006, 05:08 AM
on my mx6 I used dynomatt everywhere i saw bear metal. use the expensive stuff on doors and fenders, it conforms to the surface you stick it to so it wont fall off. the original dynomatt fell off and rolled up like toilet paper, but its good for floors.