PDA

View Full Version : transmission compatability?

Ironhydroxide
12-19-2006, 07:13 PM
I was wondering what manual transmission bellhousings are compatable with the eg33? and if any modifications to the bellhousing is required to make it work eg. new mount holes, etc.

i am looking to put the eg33 into my xt6, and space is a big issue, so if i could bypass the need for a tranny adapter then i might be able to change the belt with the radiator in the car.:rolleyes:

any feedback would be greatly apreciated.

nsm484
12-19-2006, 07:29 PM
Just talk to Huck369, He already has his Frankenwedge (EG33 in an XT) :D

Jedz123
12-19-2006, 08:58 PM
All I know is that the EJ, EG and EZ series engines will bolt up with any EJ, EG and EZ series Trannies....But the old school trannys? Not sure if it's possible without an adapter...or something. I mean with enough will power anything is possible right? lol Good luck with that swap man. Wish I could be more help.
~Jedz

Hocrest
12-19-2006, 09:08 PM
If the tranny you want to use in the XT6 is an auto, there is a POSSIBILITY that you can swap the front diff and bell housing from an EJ type trans onto the 4EAT from the XT6????

I think the trans bodies are the same, with an updated wiring harness and larger bell housing on the EJ type trannys.

huck369
12-20-2006, 05:46 AM
Yeah, is a manual or a auto...
Any of the newer gen manuals would bolt up, but the autos from 98.5 up are not compatible electronically.

If it's a manual, I'm running a Legacy 5-speed in FrankenWedge, which is cable activated, just like the original XT6 tranny, so it makes for a fairly easy swap (as far as the tranny is concerned:rolleyes: )

Ironhydroxide
12-20-2006, 06:17 PM
y'all ready for a novel... here goes

i was thinking about goin for the 6speed out of a sti, but that is a long shot for my budget. I would love to convert to hydraulic clutch, because then i could get a stronger pressure plate, and not worry about snapping a cable, (but i would have to worry about hoses, and mounts :) ) but that is alot of work with finding out how to get the master cylinder mounted and working properly, with all the geometry so i don't kill a master cylinder every month.

another thing is getting the cv shafts, i would need a tranny and rear diff with the same spline count(cheaper, depending) or i will have to get custom shafts made (costly).

I want this to look factory, and work perfect so i plan on doing this swap over the course of a couple months, along with some suspension upgrades, and all the body work (yes Huck, including the kaminari kit if i can get find the funds to get one this late), the wiring completely re-done with new, Headlight upgrades (possibly HID) and the works.

right now i am trying to get all the parts/pieces and mainly the know-how to get it perfect, the engine mounts, clutch, tranny mounts, cv shafts etc. is the easy part, the electronics are the hard part as the xt6 has the cybrid steering and the svx ECM doesn't have the capability to controll it. so basically i will be mounting the ECM's side-by-side and then making a spiced harness for them, and the rest of the car while i am at it.

any help would be appreciated ESPECIALLY a full harness scan from a 92-95 svx fsm PLEASE!!!!!!!

thanks y'all

rusty

huck369
12-20-2006, 07:28 PM
The XT6 axles will fit on the new gen 5-speeds.
I'm pretty sure the SVX FSM's are online somewhere now, can't remember where I found them at, but they're out there...

I'm running the SVX ECU for the motor, and the XT6 ECU for the Steering.

Rd96SVX
12-20-2006, 09:47 PM
hey, .. Huck.... you have the FSMs..... remember... ;) *coughMERRYCHRISTMAScough*

huck369
12-21-2006, 05:32 AM
But if he can access it on-line he can get all the info he needs, when he needs it.

Ironhydroxide
12-21-2006, 09:28 PM
I think I found a rough scan of the fsm, but it is kinda blurry, oh well, it will do, Unless......(hint Huck) Someone<-- can email me a higher resolution scan. Cough..... and by the way huck, I am just wondering how you did your ecm splice.

thanks for the help yall, and especially huck.

huck369
12-22-2006, 05:32 AM
I think I found a rough scan of the fsm, but it is kinda blurry, oh well, it will do, Unless......(hint Huck) Someone<-- can email me a higher resolution scan. Cough..... and by the way huck, I am just wondering how you did your ecm splice.

thanks for the help yall, and especially huck.

Well, I'm running the SVX ECU independent of the XT6 ECU, the SVX ECU is running the engine, and the XT6 ECU is running the Cybrid Steering, it Steering gets it's "Speed" signal from the instrument cluster, so it still works just like always, BUT I do have a CEL light since the XT6 ECU has no signal from the motor, and is still hooked up to the CEL.

As for the scan, you need to get the schem for the correct year EG33, as there where slight changes from year to year, mostly in wire colors. so do you have your EG33 and wiring harness yet? if so what year is it out of?

I started a write up on the process, and posted what I had complete on xt6.net, but hadn't gotten the wiring part of the write up done yet (have I said before how much I HATE wiring?)

But I'll help if I can...PM me and I'll get you my email address, if you want more direct contact.

Ironhydroxide
01-02-2007, 06:56 PM
thanks huck,

i will probably need all the help i can get, and a ton of luck. the only problem is that the xt6 is my daily driver and I have no other cars that i would trust to get me to work. i am looking into a justy with 5spd and 4wd, but i still don't know.

huck369
01-02-2007, 07:43 PM
I definitely recomend having a seperate daily driver, as generally any major swap will result in a less reliable car...not saying it can't be reliable, but that the chances are more likely for gremlins to creep up on a spliced together wiring harness:o

Ironhydroxide
01-03-2007, 06:28 PM
well, when i am finished the wiring will not be spliced, it will be a good job, i mean shrink tubing on all junctions/spice joints, nothing half a$$ed!!!!. i plan on doing this right.

on a side note, is $500 for a 92 justy 5spd manual w/4wd, no cancer, some surface rust, new tires, a good deal? and how quick will it sell if i do buy it? dya think

thanks yall

huck369
01-03-2007, 08:06 PM
well, when i am finished the wiring will not be spliced, it will be a good job, i mean shrink tubing on all junctions/spice joints, nothing half a$$ed!!!!. i plan on doing this right.

on a side note, is $500 for a 92 justy 5spd manual w/4wd, no cancer, some surface rust, new tires, a good deal? and how quick will it sell if i do buy it? dya think

thanks yall

I'd give ya $500 for it....but you'd have to bring it out here:D

Sounds like a good deal to me, as long as it runs good, as they get good gas mileage...

Ironhydroxide
01-04-2007, 06:34 PM
if I get the justy i would probably be selling it around the end of may or first of june. but if you still would like it then you might have to take a trip out to the rockies to get it, because i wouldn't want to drive to kentuckey, kentuky, ken... oh, i cant spell today.

huck369
01-04-2007, 08:12 PM
if I get the justy i would probably be selling it around the end of may or first of june. but if you still would like it then you might have to take a trip out to the rockies to get it, because i wouldn't want to drive to kentuckey, kentuky, ken... oh, i cant spell today.

With spelling like that, you'd fit right in around here:eek: :D :D