PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Differences

RS_2800
12-14-2006, 02:43 PM
Can anyone tell me the differences between the SVX AWD and a Legacy or Impressa AWD. I have both and they look the same. Why would the Legacy not work with the SVX? I don't really want to install it first to find out. I would appreciate your knowledge on the subject.

Earthworm
12-14-2006, 02:53 PM
The SVX is the only Subaru to use a 3.545 final drive.

Budfreak
12-14-2006, 04:52 PM
Can anyone tell me the differences between the SVX AWD and a Legacy or Impressa AWD. I have both and they look the same. Why would the Legacy not work with the SVX? I don't really want to install it first to find out. I would appreciate your knowledge on the subject.

The SVX has 3.545 gear ratio in the differentials, Other than that they are basically the same. You could use the tranny but you'd have to swap the front diffs around or find a rear diff that matches the gear ratio and swap the SVX carrier into it so you can retain LSD. Any tranny past early 98 will not work in the SVX(The ones that have an external spin on filter). I recommend 96-early 98 legacy trannies and rear diffs which can be had with 4.11 or 4.44 gear ratios.;)

svxistentialist
12-15-2006, 04:39 AM

They WILL work, once it is the 4EAT. Lots of people have used them, including El Presidente Rat Finko.:rolleyes: :D

Like the lads say, you have to match the final drive. Then they will work.

I'm not certain they have exactly the same internal ratios. I had a Legacy Twin Turbo with the 4EAT. Final drive was 4.11. Third and overdrive top [4 ratio] was the very same internally as the SVX, but I have the impression that the 1 and 2 ratios may have been lower than those in the SVX. Well, at least they felt a lot lower, and our SVXs over here use 3.7 final drive.

I find the 3.7 final drive relaxing, bordering on sleepy. Your 3.5 final ratio must be Rip Van Winkle. If you want your svx to haul ass, I figure changing to a 4.11 final is a must. Get a 4.11 to match the Legacy box you have, it should be a big improvement.

Joe:)

Joe