PDA

View Full Version : battery question

hepps44
12-06-2006, 08:16 PM
ok so today in minus 30 weather my battery decides to die on me, is there anything i need to know when i go pick one up aka size?

dannmarr
12-06-2006, 09:24 PM
Usually when you tell them the Year, Make and Model, they will sell you the correct battery. Price will vary depending on the warrenty. I tend to go a step further on the Cold Cranking Amps.:)

etz bseder
12-06-2006, 09:36 PM
I'm not sure the size, but i'm a huge fan of red top optimas. i'm not sure what the comparable model, but as i recall interstate batteries are the same as optimas just with a different case.

svxcess
12-07-2006, 05:10 AM
I'm not sure the size, but I'm a huge fan of red top Optimas. i'm not sure what the comparable model, but as I recall Interstate batteries are the same as Optimas just with a different case.

I am also a big fan of the red top Optima. I am using Optima battery red34-top terminal only. (The top is completely flat and easier so secure than the ones with side terminals as well) The part number is Optima #8002-002 (34-980) It is rated 980CA/800CCA and a 7 yr. warranty with free replacement for 36 months

Pictures in my locker http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?svxcess|37587

I ordered it from Advance Auto Part No. 16080022 for $118.88. They are also available from Optima Online for $121.00.
http://optimabattery.carshopinc.com/index.php/manufacturers_id/323337

The height adapter, to bring the battery up to stock height, is 242-0018 (I don't use this).

The Interstate Orbital battery is made by Optima; in fact if you peel off the top Interstate label you will see the Optima logo embossed in the case.

SVX_MY_BABY
12-07-2006, 07:00 AM
I've replaced mine twice since new with Canadian Tire's premium battery. The posts are in slightly different location but the case fits fine. I concur with the higher cranking upgrade.

rallyingrob
12-07-2006, 08:09 AM
whoa!!
wait a minute !!!

an svx in my area?!?!!??

kewlllllll

is that you jason??

rallyingrob
12-07-2006, 08:10 AM
whoops just looked at yer profile....i guess u r not jason...
lol

how y'all doin??

:)

nic eto see i'm not alone on here representin the east coast!!
:cool:

AFBeefcake
12-07-2006, 08:36 AM
I was going to get a Interstate by Optima batter, but every time I ask the Interstate guy that drops the batterys off at my work for a price. He tells me that I don't want one. :confused:
Also one of my ocworker got one from him and it was shot in 3 months.:confused:

dcarrb
12-07-2006, 09:09 AM
I'm pretty sure Interstate makes the Optima battery, not the other way around.

My experience has been that a typical No-Name Deluxe battery will last just as long as the warranty on premium brands. Don't know that I'd buy the cheapest thing on the rack, but I wouldn't shell-out two prices for a name, either.

dcb

Earthworm
12-08-2006, 10:29 AM
With our weather I would recommend a battery with at least 800CCA. My dad's been getting his batteries at Costco lately.

Also make sure your alternator is charging properly.

hepps44
12-10-2006, 09:14 PM
thanks i just went down to canadian tire and bought a motomaster eliminator it seems to have done the trick but only time will tell

Earthworm
12-11-2006, 12:04 PM
So can you confirm your alternator is still charging?

hepps44
12-11-2006, 05:31 PM
ya the alternator is still charging, but there is a wierd kinda whining electronic sound when i speed up it is really wierd, and one question why would my alternator stop charging?

svxistentialist
12-11-2006, 06:02 PM
ya the alternator is still charging, but there is a wierd kinda whining electronic sound when i speed up it is really wierd, and one question why would my alternator stop charging?

Our alternators have the charging circuitry built inside them. The rectifier circuit burns out, then the alternator does not charge. If you are showing 14.5 or 15 volts while ticking over, the alternator is probably OK.

But it can go bad, so be aware of it. Do a voltage check for a few days on your new battery to be sure it is being charged. If it is not, the rectifier in the alternator would be a prime suspect.

Joe

kwren
12-28-2006, 07:57 PM
With our weather I would recommend a battery with at least 800CCA. My dad's been getting his batteries at Costco lately.

Also make sure your alternator is charging properly.

I know costco is good... I Get a new one every 3 months!:eek:

Just kidding!!!! I have them on my 2 svx's for almost 3 years and no problems!

Beav
12-28-2006, 08:50 PM
I think if you do some checking you'll find there are only three actual automotive battery manufacturers in North America.

Buying a battery warranty for anything more than the free replacement period is only in the manufacturer's and retailer's interest, not the consumer's. Some pro-rated battery warranties will cost you more to exercise than what you originally paid.