PDA

View Full Version : Sol. C Switch Observations

hexadec0079
12-05-2006, 10:34 PM
Well I have a switch hooked up to my Sol. C with a Led light to show power in the circuit. Left on (normal operation), it works like a TPS almost. Full light is mostly FWD, off is close to 50/50. Helps me know how the car is running. Very useful and informative, give it a try.

Hocrest
12-05-2006, 10:56 PM
A bunch of folks over at the Ultimate Subaru board have done this and there have been a few tranny failures believed to be caused by it. Here is one thread (http://ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=65716) I found after a quick search. There are a few other where they go into more detail, but I'm too tired to research them tonight...

hexadec0079
12-06-2006, 12:05 AM
I read the thread but it makes no sense. Leaving the switch on (normal condition) should have ZERO effect on the clutch packs. It is still operating as usual and is through suffiecient gauge wires. There is no logical reason not turning the switch off (50/50) would mess with the trans. I meant to use the switch to monitor and get out of snow. The current doesn't go through the LED but simply takes a small part of the voltage and grounds it to illuminate the LED. Any other input would be appreciated as well.

PS- No problems:cool:

Mr. Pockets
12-06-2006, 07:10 AM
Please post in the correct forum.

hexadec0079
12-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Re-read the thread and I have seen that most of the failures were due to prolonged usage on inappropriate surfaces (i.e. Pavement ) and has caused the clutches to wear extremely fast. However, I have yet to use it, just to monitor.

On a side note, even with the FWD fuse, the C sol. is still active (???) Why, if anyone knows?

Earthworm
12-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Instead of forcing 4WD it would be interesting to see a gauge showing what the solenoid is doing (or calibrate it to show your power distribution).

Trevor
12-06-2006, 02:49 PM
Instead of forcing 4WD it would be interesting to see a gauge showing what the solenoid is doing (or calibrate it to show your power distribution).

The brilliance of the LED will give a useful approximate illustration of the on/off time relative to the pulse width modulation delivered to the solenoid, as is mentioned in the first post within this thread. However it must be accepted that there are other separate control factors involved, affecting the exact final front rear torque ratio.

Provided an LED is used, there should be no affect on the signal, as only a small current is involved.

hexadec0079
12-06-2006, 04:07 PM
Trevor, thats what I'm trying to say!!! My LED does not show the C sol. being turned off in FWD fuse mode, thats the revelation. I know other factors contribute to 50/50 Awd, but the C Sol. is the single simplest factor to control.

It is still interesting to watch though :cool:

Earthworm
12-06-2006, 04:23 PM
It is still distracting to watch though :cool:Fixed...I think :D

Trevor
12-06-2006, 05:29 PM
Trevor, thats what I'm trying to say!!! My LED does not show the C sol. being turned off in FWD fuse mode, thats the revelation. I know other factors contribute to 50/50 Awd, but the C Sol. is the single simplest factor to control.

It is still interesting to watch though :cool:

Take into account that the solenoid valve is closed when not energised.

hexadec0079
12-06-2006, 05:42 PM
yes i know

it remains lit when in FWD fuse mode though...

oab_au
12-07-2006, 03:11 PM
yes i know

it remains lit when in FWD fuse mode though...

Thats the way the transfer AWD works.. The solenoid is turned full on, (95% duty cycle) to disengage the rear wheel's drive.

Harvey.;)
PS. the solenoid is open when not energized.:)

Trevor
12-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Thats the way the transfer AWD works.. The solenoid is turned full on, (95% duty cycle) to disengage the rear wheel's drive.

Harvey.;)
PS. the solenoid is open when not energized.:)

The solenoid is CLOSED when not energised .

hexadec0079
12-08-2006, 10:36 PM
sorry for the confusion, but it does dim and change in FWD fuse mode. :confused:

Trevor
12-08-2006, 11:15 PM
sorry for the confusion, but it does dim and change in FWD fuse mode. :confused:

Your diligence is very much appreciated and will prevent unfortunately instigated, much more serious gross errors, stated by another regarding the subject, continuing.

oab_au
12-09-2006, 04:23 PM
The US transfer and the VTD transfer valve assembles are different. The US valve applies full line pressure to the transfer clutch, as the normal, turning the C solenoid on, turns the transfer pressure off.

The VTD valve assemble is the opposite. It has no applied pressure to the Limited Slip clutch, as the normal. Turning the C solenoid on, turns the transfer pressure on.

I don't know why this is so, it may have something to do with the way they are to 'fail safe'. The US fails to full AWD, the VTD fails to no Limited Slip clutch, as it always has AWD.

The difference, I believe, is the way the transfer spool valve is machined. Being the easiest and cheapest way to change the action in production. The two have different part Nos.

If it is right, and I won't know for sure, till see the spool valve out of a US transfer unit, it means there is a way to fit the JDM VTD box to the US car and have it operate off the US TCU, by swapping the VTD transfer assemble, for a US transfer valve assemble.

Harvey. ;)

Trevor
12-09-2006, 04:30 PM
The US transfer and the VTD transfer valve assembles are different. The US valve applies full line pressure to the transfer clutch, as the normal, turning the C solenoid on, turns the transfer pressure off.

The VTD valve assemble is the opposite. It has no applied pressure to the Limited Slip clutch, as the normal. Turning the C solenoid on, turns the transfer pressure on.

I don't know why this is so, it may have something to do with the way they are to 'fail safe'. The US fails to full AWD, the VTD fails to no Limited Slip clutch, as it always has AWD.

The difference, I believe, is the way the transfer spool valve is machined. Being the easiest and cheapest way to change the action in production. The two have different part Nos.

If it is right, and I won't know for sure, till see the spool valve out of a US transfer unit, it means there is a way to fit the JDM VTD box to the US car and have it operate off the US TCU, by swapping the VTD transfer assemble, for a US transfer valve assemble.

Harvey. ;)

Is this a round about way of claiming that the C solenoid valve is normally open? :confused: :confused:

oab_au
12-09-2006, 06:28 PM
Is this a round about way of claiming that the C solenoid valve is normally open? :confused: :confused:

No I am not claming it, Its a fact.

Harvey.;)

Trevor
12-09-2006, 08:34 PM

Harvey.;)

Only in the eyes of one. :p

hexadec0079
12-14-2006, 10:28 PM
Hate to revisit this again but time for updates:

In FWD mode the Sol. C still varies but will not go off (off=AWD, 50/50).
In AWD mode, it is easy to get the Sol. C to shut off by flooring it or accelerating quickly.

Conclusions:
The Sol. C is not the only determiner of AWD function, but turning it off will put the AWD in a 'failsafe' mode, for lack of a better term. This will force AWD, but the TCU still varies other AWD inputs.

Hope this helps some on...

Trevor
12-15-2006, 02:02 AM
Hate to revisit this again but time for updates:

In FWD mode the Sol. C still varies but will not go off (off=AWD, 50/50).
In AWD mode, it is easy to get the Sol. C to shut off by flooring it or accelerating quickly.

Conclusions:
The Sol. C is not the only determiner of AWD function, but turning it off will put the AWD in a 'failsafe' mode, for lack of a better term. This will force AWD, but the TCU still varies other AWD inputs.

Hope this helps some on...

You are correct in revisiting this subject in view of the controversy, and you are also generally correct in your analysis.

Inserting the fuse results in the ”C” solenoid being continuously energised, and therefore the normally closed valve is retained open. Thus the pressure bleed is open, reducing pressure to the transfer valve and subsequently the clutch, which is prevented from engaging so as to provide FWD mode.

For take off acceleration, solenoid “C” will be shut off (de energised) and the valve closed, so as to provide full pressure, an engaged clutch and AWD, as is mentioned in data.

Solenoid ”C”, if it has failed, or is de-energised, results in valve closed, no bleed and therefore full pressure, a closed centre clutch and full AWD. Thus as you correctly state, in fail safe mode “this will force AWD”.

N.B. A normally closed device has been specifically chosen for solenoid valve “C”, for the very reason that it fails safe closed, so as to prevent an open pressure bleed.

Trevor
12-15-2006, 12:41 PM

Harvey. ;)

Harvey Quote ---”The US transfer and the VTD transfer valve assembles are different. The US (transfer) valve applies full line pressure to the transfer clutch, as the normal, turning the C solenoid on, turns the transfer pressure off.”

Trevor --- Turning the C solenoid on by energising the solenoid, (N,B. It IS a normally closed device), OPENS the valve so as to drain off pressure and therefore REDUCES pressure to the transfer control valve, which as a result turns off.

Inserting the transmission fuse also results in the C solenoid being energised, thus opening this normally closed valve, resulting reduced transfer pressure and only FWD.

The solenoid fails safe valve closed, resulting in full transfer pressure, clutch activated and full AWD.

Harvey Quote ---”The VTD valve assemble is the opposite. It has no applied pressure to the Limited Slip clutch, as the normal. Turning the C solenoid on, turns the transfer pressure on.”

Trevor --- Wrong, the valve assembly is the same. Turning the C solenoid on opens the normally closed valve resulting in a bleed and transfer pressure OFF. This results in the LSD clutch operation being reduced. AWD is available but in a variable locked up mode.

Increasing the length of the ON pulses within the PWM signal reduces transfer pressure in both instances, by way of adjusting the torque ratio front/rear.

As with the US system, Inserting the transmission fuse results in the C solenoid being energised, thus opening the normally closed valve, but in this case is AWD is not illuminated and is in fact fully locked, as a result of a full application of the LSD clutch. This fact is clearly confirmed within the Japanese owners manual as a feature of the transmission.

Harvey Quote --- “I don't know why this is so, it may have something to do with the way they are to 'fail safe'. The US fails to full AWD, the VTD fails to no Limited Slip clutch, as it always has AWD.”

Trevor --- The VTD solenoid C fails safe closed, resulting in full transfer pressure and a fully ON limited slip clutch. The Japanese owners manual drawers attention to this fact, by way of a caution covering towing arrangements for the Japanese SVX.

Harvey Quote --- “The difference, I believe, is the way the transfer spool valve is machined. Being the easiest and cheapest way to change the action in production. The two have different part Nos.

If it is right, and I won't know for sure, till see the spool valve out of a US transfer unit, it means there is a way to fit the JDM VTD box to the US car and have it operate off the US TCU, by swapping the VTD transfer assemble, for a US transfer valve assemble.”

Trevor --- At long last we have statements of fact by way of an admission that absolute confusion reigns (Pun intended ref. fairy story). A qualified engineer would understand the requirements of a fail safe system and hence the use of normally closed valves.

What is even more amazing, is the stupidity of for years continuing to state that normally open solenoid valves, held statically open at variable intervals, are used for PWM control.

There is no mystery, all is logical. It is easily appreciated that the PWM system can be arranged to cater for what amounts to a reversal of the transfer valve arrangement within the US and VTD systems. Important is that variation will be confined to transmission control unit functions, rather than in respect of the transfer valve.

QED. ;)

Trevor
12-15-2006, 08:22 PM
All I am sure will have noticed the bluff and barrage of off topic posts initiated by Harvey, in a panic effort to defer attention from this thread. :D

Trevor
12-16-2006, 03:20 PM
Harvey, as you are on line, why not reply to my last post, or is it that you are now completely out of your depth? :p :confused:

Trevor
12-20-2006, 05:28 PM
Harvey, as you are on line, why not reply to my last post, or is it that you are now completely out of your depth? :p :confused:

:confused: :confused: :p :p

Trevor
05-02-2008, 03:34 PM
An honest question here provided,
is to be in haste divided.
To do so would be dishonest,
and set calamity upon us. :lol:

YourConfused
05-02-2008, 04:59 PM
Trevor, I think you the only person I have seen that quotes himself. :cool::lol::D

SomethingElse
05-02-2008, 05:16 PM

Harvey.;)

Only in the eyes of one. :p

Wasnt there another thread where you two had a pissing contest?

OH YEAH!!! The a A solenoid line pressure thing:lol:

Solenoids make me angry too:mad:

Trevor
05-02-2008, 05:41 PM
Trevor, I think you the only person I have seen that quotes himself. :cool::lol::D

You know it is not too hard,
I have the license of the bard. :lol::lol: