PDA

View Full Version : how to check MAF sensor

glc530
11-30-2006, 09:57 PM
My 92 is intermittently stalling when I slow down or stop. It usually starts right back up. A few times it has taken a few attempts at starting and revving the engine to keep it running. I'm changing the fuel filter first, but I doubt I will get away with a cheap fix. My check engine light has only stayed on for a few seconds on 2 occasions. Will I get a code? Also if there is no code, is there a way to check out the MAF sensor before replacing it?
Thanks

Manarius
11-30-2006, 10:59 PM
A way to check it? Put it on another car and check it.

There is special cleaner for them though.

GOT2HAVESVX
12-01-2006, 10:48 AM

JASON, we all dont HAVE another car to just put ot on to check it!:p :D I wish I did but not yet....

Manarius
12-01-2006, 03:25 PM
JASON, we all dont HAVE another car to just put ot on to check it!:p :D I wish I did but not yet....Well, unfortunately, that's the only way I can think to check it. Unless you were to somehow hook into the ECU and get the readings to check if they're in normal parameters.

joburnet
03-06-2007, 07:19 PM

Any more information on this? I'm having the same problem and I think over $200 for a MAFS is pretty steep.

JaySVX
03-07-2007, 08:07 AM
Try setting your idle a little higher. Also check the TB and make sure it's not all gunked up and blocking hte airflow. Does it sputter before it dies or just flat out shut off? Make sure it's getting enough air if it sputters a bit.

SomethingElse
03-07-2007, 08:24 AM
Also try tapping on it to see if the rpms change as you tap...sometimes when i tapped on my old one that was going bad i could get 10-15 miles on it before i had to tap it to goodness again.

rbalach
03-07-2007, 10:19 PM
My 92 is intermittently stalling when I slow down or stop. It usually starts right back up. A few times it has taken a few attempts at starting and revving the engine to keep it running. I'm changing the fuel filter first, but I doubt I will get away with a cheap fix. My check engine light has only stayed on for a few seconds on 2 occasions. Will I get a code? Also if there is no code, is there a way to check out the MAF sensor before replacing it?
Thanks

I had the exact same problem. Yes the computer stores codes, so you should be able to read them even if the check engine light is not currently on. Look in the How-To documents (link at the top of this page) or in www.svx-iw.com on how to read the codes.
If it is the MAF, somebody out there had posted the expected voltage readings for a good MAF. You'll have to search.
There is also a write up on how to clean the MAF in the How-To section. You can try that out and see if it helps.

ensteele
03-07-2007, 10:31 PM
There is also a write up on how to clean the MAF in the How-To section. You can try that out and see if it helps.

And that would be Here. (http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/files/How-To/41607.pdf) :)