PDA

View Full Version : Digital/LCD Dash??

SomethingElse
11-21-2006, 08:25 PM
I think it would fit the car perfectly:) Ive seen aftermarket digital dahses for older cars but I cant find any for our cars:( Is there enough demand for something like this? If so how can we go about getting one made and cost? Just a vision;)

etz bseder
11-21-2006, 08:30 PM
I have no clue whatsoever, but i'm all in for doing a group buy

It's Just Eric
11-21-2006, 08:38 PM
Hmm....Im sure with a donor gauge cluster as a guide and for parts, you could fabricate your own digital cluster. Would be one hell of a project (but cool as hell in the end)

Crazy_pilot
11-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Do you mean a full custom fiberglass dash type thing? Or just a screen built into the dash? A 6 or 7 inch screen should fit nicely into the radio/CD deck bay.

The SVX dash is kind of a signiture piece. Not many others have a sliding door to cover the radio.

NikFu S.
11-21-2006, 10:11 PM
I tihnk he means like replacing the speedo and whatnot with lights.

Not my cup of milk, but it would be cool.

SomethingElse
11-22-2006, 04:44 AM
Do you mean a full custom fiberglass dash type thing? Or just a screen built into the dash? A 6 or 7 inch screen should fit nicely into the radio/CD deck bay.

The SVX dash is kind of a signiture piece. Not many others have a sliding door to cover the radio.

Oops i should ask a moderator for dash to be changed to cluster:) I was thinking of just the cluster. Not fully decked out like KNIGHT RIDER I was looking at one for my monte calro a while back. it was neat... it could change from blue to green to red also. If old Thunderbirds and Z24 Cavaliers can have one why cant we?

I was looking at getting a touchscreen nav system too 6.5 inch pioneer. The side would look like a spaceship with all that digital stuff...people have already called it a spaceship:)

PDSides
11-22-2006, 06:58 AM
Have you ever owned a car with digital dash gauge readouts? Difficult to read in sunlight, too bright at night. Of all the problem areas of cars so equipped, the digital dash is the most trouble prone. Think twice before putting any money into this idea.
Preston

huck369
11-22-2006, 07:31 AM
If old Thunderbirds and Z24 Cavaliers can have one why cant we?
:)

Because there are a Gazillion old Cavaliers and Thunderbirds out there, so the possibility of selling mass quanities is there.....not so with a SVX.....same reason you can't get an aftermarket windshield for it....or pretty much anything aftermarket for it.

The curse of owning a low production car.....

Hocrest
11-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Some minor fabrication of the cluster and a few hours with the FSMs and a soldering iron, and you can install one of these (http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/Category_ID=232/home_id=59/mode=cat/cat232.htm)

SomethingElse
11-22-2006, 11:04 AM
Man those are sweeeeet!! now if I could only find 700 or so bux laying around:D

Manarius
11-22-2006, 11:06 AM
Have you ever owned a car with digital dash gauge readouts? Difficult to read in sunlight, too bright at night. Of all the problem areas of cars so equipped, the digital dash is the most trouble prone. Think twice before putting any money into this idea.
Preston+1 to that. The guys with the old GL's and their digi dashes get rid of them every day.

SomethingElse
11-22-2006, 11:12 AM
+1 to that. The guys with the old GL's and their digi dashes get rid of them every day.

Maybe back in the day when the technology sucked it was harder to read. I wonder if they have improved them by now?

Budfreak
11-22-2006, 12:19 PM
hhmm. I'm thinking late 80's Vettes or GTA's with the digital dash for a starting point. I loved the one in my GTA.;) Maybe the old turbo legacy's could be considered too?

svxcess
11-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Here is a universal unit from Nordskog Performance. Has 6 functions. Red, Green, Amber or Blue display. 14" long

http://www.nordskogperformance.net/products/auto/dashpanels/index.htm

Another one is Dakota Digital. Ther vesrion comes in blue or TEAL (to match our clock and other readouts. A little large at 18.5"

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=218/category_id=232/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd218.htm

Manarius
11-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Here is a universal unit from Nordskog Performance. Has 6 functions. Red, Green, Amber or Blue display. 14" long

http://www.nordskogperformance.net/products/auto/dashpanels/index.htm

Another one is Dakota Digital. Ther vesrion comes in blue or TEAL (to match our clock and other readouts. A little large at 18.5"

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=218/category_id=232/home_id=59/mode=prod/prd218.htm

.Is it just me, or are those not the ugliest gauge clusters you have ever seen? I'm sorry, but I'm completely missing the appeal there.

Earthworm
11-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Also no option for kph. :rolleyes:

SomethingElse
11-22-2006, 02:47 PM
Also no option for kph. :rolleyes:

this one does ;) http://www.nordskogperformance.net/products/auto/dashpanels/detail/dp10003.htm

Crazy_pilot
11-22-2006, 06:45 PM
I suppose it might be nice to know your speed/RPM accurately, but gauges give such a nice perspective for the sort of where you are/how far you can go type thing. So I'm not really a fan of the full digital dash idea.

Brian
11-23-2006, 07:41 AM
I've always wanted to have a blue digital dash, but that's way down on my list of priorities. And the prices of the ones posted here are outrageous, especially if there's no indication of if the technology has improved to cover the old drawbacks. I guess LCD's would be more reliable, but I think LEDs look better. It seems like building your own is the only economical way to go, but then you need to have the electronics skills, to do it - and be able to find all the things it takes to make it look good.

jake@nordskogpe
11-29-2006, 08:46 PM
If anyone's interested in assisting with a Nordskog direct fit digital dash, please contact me at jake@nordskogperformance.net. We would need to get 10 pre-orders, and would offer solid pricing to the first 10. The process usually takes 8 to 12 weeks, but it would be a direct fit into the factory instrument cluster.
Here's a sample of another project we're working on now.

Budfreak
11-29-2006, 08:57 PM
If anyone's interested in assisting with a Nordskog direct fit digital dash, please contact me at jake@nordskogperformance.net. We would need to get 10 pre-orders, and would offer solid pricing to the first 10. The process usually takes 8 to 12 weeks, but it would be a direct fit into the factory instrument cluster.

Holy crap that looks GREAT! Now if the numbers were green it'd be perfect! Oh please let this pan out and happen. I don't have the money at this moment, But I would definitely buy a digi dash the second I got the money if they get produced. Come on guys, Let's make it happen!!

Budfreak
11-29-2006, 09:03 PM

I can't email you, It thinks I am spam.:(

PM sent.:cool:

Brian
11-30-2006, 07:51 PM
Jake, what do you mean by "assisting with"? Are you looking for people to test your product (e.g.: assists with development of the product)? Or do you mean "buying"? And what do you mean by "solid pricing"? That doesn't say anything. How much would we pay for each one? If you can't be specific, can you give us an approximate cost or a price range?

SomethingElse
12-01-2006, 01:49 PM
I got ahold of Jake, he needs 10 pre-orders with some depost.They usually sell for 500-540 blue is more expensive. The first 10 would go for about 400 give or take..depending on what sensors he would need to use or other hardware, sending units etc..blue and red are the brightest and green is also available. He needs access to a car in so cal for testing purposes. and a wiring diagram. i can send him a donar cluster. Anyone intrested?

RedHotSVX
12-02-2006, 08:08 PM
I got ahold of Jake, he needs 10 pre-orders with some depost.They usually sell for 500-540 blue is more expensive. The first 10 would go for about 400 give or take..depending on what sensors he would need to use or other hardware, sending units etc..blue and red are the brightest and green is also available. He needs access to a car in so cal for testing purposes. and a wiring diagram. i can send him a donar cluster. Anyone intrested?
Depending on how soon enough people get in on this,I would jump on board.
I just can't do it during the holiday's.So if the offer is still on the table come late January,I'm there

RSVX
12-03-2006, 03:53 AM
thats pretty hot...

SomethingElse
12-03-2006, 07:38 AM
I asked him about the doner car in CA. he said it isnt necassary but it makes it easier. If anyone has any other questions let me know and ill ask...im not sure how much $$ he wants down per unit but ill ask...guess ill start the list:D

1) SomethingElse

Beav
12-03-2006, 09:17 AM
While they're at it why not add something useful to the display, like a radar detector readout, XM/Sirius, how many french fries are under the seat, etc.?

RSVX
12-03-2006, 09:21 AM
Tranny temp

SomethingElse
12-03-2006, 05:22 PM
Hmm I wonder if the atf light has a temp sensor or just an idoit light thing? Does anyone have a wiring diagram of the cluster and associated components?

RedHotSVX
12-03-2006, 07:25 PM
While they're at it why not add something useful to the display, like a radar detector readout, XM/Sirius, how many french fries are under the seat, etc.?
I like the radar detector readout idea...ALOT:D

SomethingElse
12-07-2006, 05:35 PM
The first 10 who sign up get to decide what goes on there..as long as we can all come to an agreement;)

Budfreak
12-08-2006, 02:46 PM
I have no gaurantee of the funds to do it, But I'm in and will assist in any way possible. I might even know somebody in Cali. who will help with a donor car.;)

I want:
Green numbers(to match everything)
Volts
Coolant temp.
Tranny temp.
Oil pressure
and then of course all the obligatory stuff like dum dum lights, turn signals, gas and so on.

The radar detector idea would be friggin' SWEET too!:D

subru92svx
12-08-2006, 04:42 PM
I am definitely interested. I think that would look sweet in an SVX. I'm with Budfreak on the color he wants and all the other gauges. I sure hope this all works out.

It's Just Eric
12-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Hmmm...I would be the crazey idiot with a digital dash and an analog clock just to mess with people's heads

ooh, mabey have a clock with a stopwatch thing so you can time stuff!!(You can take the factory clock and turn it into another coinholder or something)

pavanbabut
12-10-2006, 09:26 PM
Hi all,
This project seems interesting. I wonder how cool the final product will look in the dash. I can help with my car if the guy needs access, but what I didn't get is, why can't he use an instrument cluster taken out from any parts car (from anyone who is parting out his car over here), if possible we can chip in and buy it and then we can send it to the guy who works on this project. In this way he will be having full access all the time. Anyway I live in NorCal and I dunno how far this guy is located etc....
-Pavan.

huck369
12-11-2006, 05:11 AM
I would assume he wants a actual car to use to test that all the displays function correcly once installed in the car...

SomethingElse
12-11-2006, 08:48 AM
Hi all,
This project seems interesting. I wonder how cool the final product will look in the dash. I can help with my car if the guy needs access, but what I didn't get is, why can't he use an instrument cluster taken out from any parts car (from anyone who is parting out his car over here), if possible we can chip in and buy it and then we can send it to the guy who works on this project. In this way he will be having full access all the time. Anyway I live in NorCal and I dunno how far this guy is located etc....
-Pavan.

Thats great:D if he can get access to a car it would come along faster. I still need a wiring diagram to send him......Guess all thats holding the project up now is the demand ..aka 9 other people.....i guess my timing is bad being close to the holidays and all.

pavanbabut
12-11-2006, 09:03 AM
Thats great:D if he can get access to a car it would come along faster. I still need a wiring diagram to send him......Guess all thats holding the project up now is the demand ..aka 9 other people.....i guess my timing is bad being close to the holidays and all.

I can sign up for this... but I have alot other things on the car that needs serious attention before this one. So, I may be getting to this sometime next year... but for sure.... :)

-Pavan.

nsm484
12-11-2006, 09:12 AM
I am interested in this as well, with such a futuristic look of the svx, a good LCD Dash with todays parts would just be awsome

pavanbabut
12-11-2006, 09:21 AM
I am interested in this as well, with such a futuristic look of the svx, a good LCD Dash with todays parts would just be awsome

Is this a true LCD display setup or an instrument panel with seven segment display drivers... becos they both are totally different.... :confused:

-Pavan.

Budfreak
12-11-2006, 03:12 PM

Would the diagram you need be here?:http://www.canardzone.com/members/PhillipJohnson/References/useful_references.htm

odepaj
12-16-2006, 06:39 PM
I would be interested if it was set up similar to the stock cluster but with the extra gauges added (maybe in the space above the gas and temp gauges). A digital analog read out would be nice also (digital MPH/RPM read out but with a digital "needle" pointing out the speed/rpm instead of the bars that light up). Just kinda throwing ideas out.

Dustin

SomethingElse
01-09-2007, 06:31 PM
"Our LED displays are typically 7-segment LED displays, which is different from LCD."

"1. 25% ($100) Isn't required until project begins (dash requirements are defined and basic layout completed) We would decrease the deposit requirement with more than 10 units.
2. So, right now there's a 'dummy' light for trans temp? If that's the case, there's a sensor (switch) already on the car. For ease of installation, and if it's possible, it would be ideal to replace the temperature switch with a temperature sensor at the same location. First, we would have to make sure that removing the temperature switch doesn't effect any other car functions. Otherwise, we could provide the necessary hardware to add a new sensor somewhere else along the fluid line.
We will also need to consider space limitations on the instrument cluster face."

Ill ask for more support after april 15th;)

pavanbabut
01-09-2007, 07:20 PM
"Our LED displays are typically 7-segment LED displays, which is different from LCD."

"1. 25% ($100) Isn't required until project begins (dash requirements are defined and basic layout completed) We would decrease the deposit requirement with more than 10 units.
2. So, right now there's a 'dummy' light for trans temp? If that's the case, there's a sensor (switch) already on the car. For ease of installation, and if it's possible, it would be ideal to replace the temperature switch with a temperature sensor at the same location. First, we would have to make sure that removing the temperature switch doesn't effect any other car functions. Otherwise, we could provide the necessary hardware to add a new sensor somewhere else along the fluid line.
We will also need to consider space limitations on the instrument cluster face."

Ill ask for more support after april 15th;)

Can't wait to see the final product.... hope its looks cool

-Pavan

It's Just Eric
01-09-2007, 08:51 PM
Ooh..I got it...One of them crazey 4 way g-force meters that are on them whoositwhatsit cars ( was it the older skylines?)

Budfreak
03-07-2007, 09:58 PM
What's going on with this??:confused:

92svx95
03-08-2007, 10:38 PM

who knows! :(

pavanbabut
03-09-2007, 09:39 AM
Hope something is going on with this project...:rolleyes:

-Pavan

JaySVX
03-12-2007, 07:45 AM
If you could find one that fit the approximate size, you could probably find a way to hook up all the readings for it. I wouldn't mind looking down at something like this:
Night:
http://www.az-zbum.com/images/differences.instrument.cluster.digital.87-89.lit.jpg
Day:
http://www.az-zbum.com/images/differences.instrument.cluster.digital.84.jpg

For those curious, that's the 300zx. The 87 Cougar also had a digital instrument panel, as did a few of the neons, and early probes. Fit would be my biggest concern, I wouldnt' do it if it were to come out with a poor fit after it's functional. Maybe i'll toy with this idea during the summer.

CigarJohnny
03-13-2007, 06:37 AM
Because there are a Gazillion old Cavaliers and Thunderbirds out there, so the possibility of selling mass quanities is there.....not so with a SVX.....same reason you can't get an aftermarket windshield for it....or pretty much anything aftermarket for it.

The curse of owning a low production car.....Correction, Huck. Nowadays you can get an aftermarket windshield for the SVX. I have one in mine now after I broke the original. Real nice quality too. :)

-Johnny

JaySVX
03-13-2007, 07:07 AM
THe quote i got for a new windshield was astronomical... 1200$ from safelite, and that number was consistant with a dozen other places i checked. If you find something more reasonable please let me know.

SVXtasy
03-22-2007, 03:28 PM
funny me and a friend of mine were talking about this and you could do it with two LCDs two HKS CAMP units and one CAMP junction box. you could display just about everything you wanted. then come up with a cool mount in the dash it woudl look super cool and woudl be "blacked out" when that car was off.

to bad the CAMP is discontinued :o(

lhopp77
03-22-2007, 04:03 PM
Correction, Huck. Nowadays you can get an aftermarket windshield for the SVX. I have one in mine now after I broke the original. Real nice quality too. :)

-Johnny

True, there are now aftermarket windshields and I really hate to see that. They are not titanium oxide coated so we will now begin to see sun cracked dashes like lesser cars. :( :(

Lee

huck369
03-23-2007, 07:58 PM
True, there are now aftermarket windshields and I really hate to see that. They are not titanium oxide coated so we will now begin to see sun cracked dashes like lesser cars. :( :(

Lee

That's what sun screens are for...;)

I'm glad of the newer aftermarket stuff showing up for the SVX, it will save many that would be scrapted de to a cracked windshield, or bad radiator...due to the original stuff being so expensive.

SomethingElse
03-23-2007, 09:47 PM

lack of intrest:o

still waiting for 10 peeps to sign up.

Edit- it became a windshield thread

Mike621
03-23-2007, 10:17 PM
Tranny temp

+1 Important

Mike621
03-23-2007, 10:21 PM
THe quote i got for a new windshield was astronomical... 1200$ from safelite, and that number was consistant with a dozen other places i checked. If you find something more reasonable please let me know.

I work for Safelite and I havent been able to find an aftermarket glass for my car . :-P But apparently I get a discount on the OEM glass and my company actually eats a few hundred to give it to me :eek: .

Still friggin expensive though....

LetItSnow
03-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Having come from a 2000 Legacy, I had originally wished that my speedo and tach would be in the same place, but they're reversed. After driving for a bit, I prefer this new-to-me layout, now that I realize that I only use the left side of the speedometer and the top of the tach in the SVX, for the most part.

So many things to consider with any given interface...

richardstanley
04-02-2007, 07:45 PM
I loved the digi in my turbo xt, i really didn't have a problem in the day :)

richardstanley
04-02-2007, 07:47 PM
So whats the toll now? I'll sign up! As long as it ends up being in or around this summer i will have the money! :)

Tiamat-red
04-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Does this count?:cool:

SomethingElse
04-03-2007, 11:15 AM
I tried to start a list in post # 27 but nobody else has signed up. The first batch of 10 will be around $400. I think i posted that we need $100 per person once we hit 10 people to get the ball rolling. The design/gages of the cluster will be determined by whoever signs up. there are a few different colors to choose from, any other questions just post them up.